Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    Dyxlexia is no excuse for bad grammar or for malapropisms.

Actually yes it does.

How so?

See above I've edited my post.

But dyslexia is a learning disability that mostly effects a persons grasp of writing language. A person may display difficulities with reading, spelling, writing, speaking etc.

I think its in poor taste to go on rampant charge expecting good grammar from everyone without even considering this.

Did you hear about the dyslexic devil worshipper?

Sold his soul to Santa!

Cheer up everyone, it's Friday!!!!!!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    scullyman wrote:
    Since (as a commuting lurker) I was enjoying this topic - as it made me feel better about my own reckless expenditure - and I don't like confrontation, I have a question. It's about spending money on bikes.

I'm a mountain biker. (Boo! Hiss!) I love my mountain bike. On the other hand, I love all bikes. I read with interest the post about the Tricross single for £275. In my mind I have now managed to equate that, based on the saving from the original RRP, to being effectively free.

I live in a hilly bit of Surrey. Would it:

a) be foolish because a singlespeed would be ridiculous when it came to going up and down steep hills; or,

b) be another bike and therefore a tremendous idea?

Advice appreciated. Sorry for the off off topic off topic switch (if you see what I mean)!

It'll put hairs on your chest. Joking aside there are a few peeps who ride Surrey hills on SS, trick is getting the gearing right but it's good training.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    scullyman wrote:
    Since (as a commuting lurker) I was enjoying this topic - as it made me feel better about my own reckless expenditure - and I don't like confrontation, I have a question. It's about spending money on bikes.

I'm a mountain biker. (Boo! Hiss!) I love my mountain bike. On the other hand, I love all bikes. I read with interest the post about the Tricross single for £275. In my mind I have now managed to equate that, based on the saving from the original RRP, to being effectively free.

I live in a hilly bit of Surrey. Would it:

a) be foolish because a singlespeed would be ridiculous when it came to going up and down steep hills; or,

Advice appreciated. Sorry for the off off topic off topic switch (if you see what I mean)!

You're absolutely right. And b )
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Ok, the most ironic thing just happened. My Newsletter has recently been posted to its Members (part of the job, I work in the Health - mental health - sector). A woman just came all the way to the office to commend me on an article I wrote... :shock:

Yes!
    On topic

What I plan to spend in 2009:

1 pair of cycle shorts
    2 3/4 bib tights
    1 full length tights
    (maybe) a full length tights
    5 base layers
    Skull cap
    Buff - maybe....
    Overshoes
    Better glooves for next years winter.
    Cycle bag
    Cycle computer

I don't need anything else. Depending on how well I get on financially, I may buy a new bike either a SS or something a little more sporty.

So I reckon I'll be spending about £350 without the bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Just in case anyone was wondering about the strict definition of 'Pedant', here's the best one I've ever seen:

Pedantism is widely practiced by people of all races all over the world. Worshipers seek perfection of word and deed in all aspects of daily life and often go to great lengths to guide others in execution of perfection and attention to detail in all things. The Book of Pedant is as yet unpublished awaiting further discussion on the use of grammar, punctuation and the correct dictionary to use when it is written. The Temple of Pedant is also un-built due to an ongoing debate on the use of 1st or 3rd angle orthogonal projection for drafting the plans for it’s construction. They know it’s a small point but it’s important to get these things right!

I've inserted it complete with speling mistaykes.

As far as the OP is concerned.....not been keeping track this year. I guess about £300 - lubes/cleaning products, two new rear wheels (plus cassette and chain for the commuter), servicing and a few sundries. So about 8p per commuting mile.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Sold his soul to Santa!

I'm reporting you to the DNA for that ;)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    girv73 wrote:
    Sold his soul to Santa!

I'm reporting you to the DNA for that ;)

heard them all.

and it is no excuse.

But it can be a reason.

Card carrying lexdislic for 26 years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    biondino wrote:
    Oh you would say that now you've been rumbled.
    Bah, caught. :(

It was crap typing and the spellchecker didn't pick it up. Also, for some reason that I've yet to fathom, from time to time characters don't show up even though I've pressed the key. This has only happened since I installed IE Pro 7. Weird!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Actually yes it does.

How so?

it would be fairly amazing and selective if one couldn't spell for toffee but whose grama was perfect would it not?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Actually yes it does.

How so?

it would be fairly amazing and selective if one couldn't spell for toffee but whose grama was perfect would it not?
    It is called dyselectia.
  • Bike-related damage in the BOB household in 2008 amounted to about £1400 on bikes (for Mrs B and the Bobbettes - all bargains!), and another whacking £1100 on "stuff"! not sure where that all went :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hopefully at least £550 of it went on Mrs B :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmmm - it is not cheap.

C2W - £40 per month (or thereabouts)
    £400 on new kit
    £200 to £400 on building new bikes and upgrades.

It all adds up....I don't really keep a tally on it. But I do consider what I save by not running a second car for the entire year.

I have spent more on the dog this year than I have on cycling.....We bought a new, bigger car to accomodate her! And I had some work done on my kitchen to create a new utility room for her too - About £8000, bye bye Cervelo.

You have to ask yourself; "how do you feel?" If the answer is fit and healthy, then the cost is insignificant.

Always remember to that bike kit is a complete rip off! New good quality tyres, for example, almost the same cost as cheap car tyres from kwik fit - £30 to £40 each?!
  • Including a new frame at about £750, i spent around £2500 this year!!
    Orange St4-Reba SL-FullXT
  • mmm probably between £1000 and £1500 here, i have a number of bikes so it's spread around,

for big green (around town bike) M+ tires loads of bike locks saddles and lights all of which i go though fairly frequently.

MTB brakes serviced

£30 for old red, a ton of money getting old red done up.

a fair amount on clothes shoes etc. should be less next year as no new bikes or massive upgrades though old red is going in soon to have new brake levers modern levers which are easy to brake from the hoods and some cycleX interupters on the tops
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    2008 Purchases ( That I can remember at least :? )

3 x frames
    2.5 x wheelsets
    3 x pairs of tyres
    4 x saddles
    5 x seatposts
    5 x handlebars
    5 x stem
    3 x pedals
    tonnes of bar tape
    3 x speedo
    1 x HRM
    2 x Mudguards
    Assos gilet, 2 x shorts, Airblock jacket, Castelli bibtights,
    1 x Catlike Whisper helmet
    1 x Oakleys
    1 x Pair Northwave Typhoon
    1 x pair of 661 (?) MTB shoes
    1 x cateye rear light
    2 x Campag groupset
    1 x FSA Gossamer chainset
    1 x Chorus shifters
    3 x bottle cages
    2 x heavy duty locks
    1 x track pump (I've got two now :? )
    1 x Rival rear mech
    1 x Daytona front mech
    1 x Workstand
    1 x Caisse D'Espargne LS Jersey
    Loads of pairs of gloves

OUCH, did I really buy that much last year, there's other stuff I can't remember either - It's a good job I had a well paid job for the first 6 months of last year :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I've done about £1400 (including C2W scheme) this year. The really sad thing is I don't save a bean as I get free travel through my job. Hard to justify to Mrs SpursN17.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Right, ordered a new bike to replace the one the local scum nicked.

So, 2009 - miles done, 0, costs to date £350. Terrific!
  • W1, does that cost include the new lock or just the bike?

2007 saw me relieved of several hundred pounds of expenditure, you have my sympathy
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • W1
    W1, does that cost include the new lock or just the bike?

2007 saw me relieved of several hundred pounds of expenditure, you have my sympathy

Pretty much all in, except a pannier rack. No point getting a top of the range bike for an all weathers pot-hole commute, especially when the bike might get nicked again, so just bought the best value replacement hybrid that I could find as quickly as possible - every day off the bike just costs me more in train fares!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Holy thread resurrection Batman! :shock:

Just looking at the family Xmas budget and noticed my cycling related purchases for 2009 (so far) stands at £467.33. Though half was the cost to change from MTB to roadie

What's the damage to your wallet?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • :lol:

Good work, WMcC!

I was about to say 'ooooh mine's good' but realised I bought the Maxima this year. Not so good. I've only been being thrifty since about august.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    two bikes £2600
    clothing £550
    tyres £90
    handle bars £50
    single speed kit £30
    chain, innertubes and cassette £120

:shock:

I did sell a bike so thats -£500 and a car - £9000
  • Hmmm...

New bike & lock, £640 - though cycle to work means this is coming out about £200.
    Clothes & Shoes - Probably about £100
    Lights - About £45 (but visible from space)
    Mudguards - £20

I'm quite a cheap date.
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I spent more than I dare to sum up, but it every penny was totally worth it!
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • £1,122 in total, but that includes :

entry to sportives
    flying to alps and renting a bike to cycle there
    flying to scotland and renting a car to get to etape caledonia
    and lots of (ahem) essential kit.

Worth it, I'd say.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    37p/mile as I count it (although that's only commuting miles, and does include the purchase of two bikes, and a frame).

Another couple of days should see me cheaper than the train, though...
  • W1
    Oh fun, a topic I started.

Only just got back on the bike after an 8 month absense. Cost for the year £350 for the bike and bits (in January), plus finally bought the panier (£26) and clipless pedals and shoes (£80), plus a set of pads and some tubes, so probably around exactly the same figure as last year - £490! I won't jinx myself again by saying 2010 should be a cheap year....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ah, thought I was doing well. I've really cut back lately, wiggle are getting worried and are issuing profit warnings. Then I remembered the planet-x and powertap purchases early in the year...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    Oh fun, a topic I started.

Only just got back on the bike after an 8 month absense. Cost for the year £350 for the bike and bits (in January), plus finally bought the panier (£26) and clipless pedals and shoes (£80), plus a set of pads and some tubes, so probably around exactly the same figure as last year - £490! I won't jinx myself again by saying 2010 should be a cheap year....

It's that time of year again, and I did jinx myself!

Over £600 spent this year, although that did include a tool-kit which will hopefully (he says) bring the costs down for next year. Also replaced some clothing which should last a couple of years. Other than that, had two new rear wheels, plenty of tubes and tyres, batteries etc etc so it all adds up!

So, 2010 - 3,800 miles covered (presuming I don't get killed this week), around £600 spent = approx 16p a mile. Not too bad, but could do better!