Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

Comments

• biondino wrote:
    Lightweight, sort out your ridiculous schoolboy-with-calligraphy-set typeface!!

Yeah, +1 big time. That typeface/logo sucks.

I won't be commuting on the superbike, not often anyway. It's for weekend/evening longer rides, and will also hopefully be taking me round a sportive and a triathlon this year, as well as to europe! The last few depend on the ankle...

OK well I'll have a think about wheels...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Have the people you have spoken to about the bike suggested particular wheels?
  • Yeah, mavic cosmic carbone slr ones... I don't particularly like the look of them myself...

Edit - just googled them. Why the massive disparity in prices? Bike shop man said they were £1k...

Edit #2: Ohhhhhh that's one wheel. Doh. :oops:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mavic have changed a lot stuff on the various Carbones between 2008 and 2009. I think the difference between the SLR versions is quite big.... hang on... googles
    EDIT: there was an article on cyclingnews when the 2009 versions got announced. Trying to find it...
    EDIT2: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... hing-17247
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    iain_j wrote:
    I wouldn't spend so much if it wasn't for Wiggle's free delivery on >£50 orders, which i have to buy extra things to qualify for :D
    You're being had mate. Wiggle do free delivery on everything. ;)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    LOL. Am i thinking of some percentage discount for >£50 orders... whatever it was, they forced me to buy more to save money :D
  • coffeecup
    coffeecup Posts: 128
    don't want to tot it up..... but we did ditch a car when i started commuting by bike a few years ago
    Time you've enjoyed wasting, hasn't been wasted

Bianchi L'Una, Bianchi 928 C2C 105, Dahon MU SL
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've spent about £1000 easily.

This worries me as my bike only cost £350.... :shock:

My car insurance (I passed in November) is £800+ The excess is £1200. I drive a Fiesta.... :roll:

I hate the World sometimes.

ooh owch. unlucky to be young as well i guess i'm in my early 30's so along with shocking hangovers i get cheap insurance. mine is low enought that i might as well have fully comp makes no differnce.
  • £1,625.67! (New wheels)

Is a grand and up a normal cost for good wheels then?? :shock: I was quoted that for some for the new bike, and thought it was waaaaaaay too much!

Depends what you want really. Decent handbuilts can be had for relatively little. If you're planning on dropping a big sum on a high end frame and dura ace/RECORD then really you want wheels that are in the same bracket. £100 wheels on a £5k setup would be a bit weird! I'd suggest you are looking at starting at £500 or so for good alu wheels and hubs (ie Fulcrum 1's), £1200 - £1500 for deep rim carbon ones (Zipp, FFWD), and all the way up to £3k for Lightweight tubs! lightweight-std-zoom.jpg

Save your cash. I had a pair of LWs. They're good, but they don't feel 3-5 times better than a perfectly good but cheaper wheelset.

LiTs - up your budget! You know you want to and you know you deserve it!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Save your cash. I had a pair of LWs. They're good, but they don't feel 3-5 times better than a perfectly good but cheaper wheelset.

LiTs - up your budget! You know you want to and you know you deserve it!

I already did... :oops:

Because I'm worth it. *flicks hair like advert tart* :D
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Just under £1500 in my case (but only 'cause I got the Jetstream in November '07!)- having got back into biking for fun & fitness rather than just going to work, bills do keep adding up, especially with two second-hand bikes to fettle- got the Cadenza in July. The Jetstream had a SRAM DualDrive hub upgrade. Both had full services, new transmissions, niggles that needed sorting, then there's all the gear (jerseys, computers, gloves, jacket...)
    Hopefully somewhat less this year. Unless I win the lottery, in which case a lot more :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Yeah, mavic cosmic carbone slr ones... I don't particularly like the look of them myself...

Edit - just googled them. Why the massive disparity in prices? Bike shop man said they were £1k...

Edit #2: Ohhhhhh that's one wheel. Doh. :oops:

Never have liked the look of Carbones.

If you're in for non- handbuilt tubs, I'd spend my cash on Bora Ultras 2s. Non handbuilt clinchers: big choice. I'd go light (<1400g) and see what's left then. Not much in a deep profile, I imagine.

For handbuilts, either tubs or clinchers, I'd go for Edge rims, possibly Reynolds, probably around a DT Swiss hub.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've spent about £1000 easily.

This worries me as my bike only cost £350.... :shock:

My car insurance (I passed in November) is £800+ The excess is £1200. I drive a Fiesta.... :roll:

I hate the World sometimes.

ooh owch. unlucky to be young as well i guess i'm in my early 30's so along with shocking hangovers i get cheap insurance. mine is low enought that i might as well have fully comp makes no differnce.

I'm in my mid 20's... I fear it'll be mid-to-late 20's too soon.

There was no difference between fully comp and third party for me either. I'm with Tesco and to get it £800 cheap I went with Tesco value insurance.... Its like shopping a Lidl and buying their own brand product at a discount....

Time's are hard....

On topic:

I just fitted my Fulcrum 7's onto the SCR! They nearly double the price of my bike and to be honest fitting an 8 speed Sora cassette to them feels kinda wrong.

Ignorance is bliss though I'm probably going to get as much joy out of them as I would out of a pair of wheels that cost 10times the amount as I have no basis of comparison.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Ooops. Just checked wiggle - In the last year you have spent: £2,072.58

None of my 3 bike purchases last year are from wiggle... :oops:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Jen J wrote:

Two grand before bikes, bloody hell! That's quite impressive work, any chance of an itemised list? I do hope yer shoulder heals up quickly but reckon for the sake of your bank balance a three month lay off might not be a bad thing.

I notice you're avatar seems a little out of true, which is a shame for a new bike. Is this one any better...

madonna.jpg
  • Jen J
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Two grand before bikes, bloody hell! That's quite impressive work, any chance of an itemised list? I do hope yer shoulder heals up quickly but reckon for the sake of your bank balance a three month lay off might not be a bad thing.

I notice you're avatar seems a little out of true, which is a shame for a new bike. Is this one any better...

madonna.jpg

Oh Brun, it's just too big...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Fat Kid
    Fat Kid Posts: 28
    Probably the first time he's heard that! :D

I'll get me coat...
  • Garou
    Garou Posts: 33
    Well I'm nowhere near the last confession - i spent around £1200 in 2008.

I reckon that's cool though as I was just getting started, so that includes new bike, all the kit, lights, tools etc.

I imagine I'll spend less this year. Mostly because my flat isn't big enough to keep a second bike. Probably a good thing though; all you speedy types make me really want to try out a road bike at some point.
    'I'm not in the business; I am the business.'
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Sorry Jen :oops:

I've shrunk it down into something you may find more accommodating. Hope this forum likes gifs...

madonna.gif
  • I dread to think. September was over £5000 in itself
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    ?sdrawkcab gniraeppa gnipyt ym si yhw

:?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    coffeecup wrote:
    but we did ditch a car when i started commuting by bike a few years ago

You ditched a car? Are you sure you're not itboffin? (please assume I'd bothered to find the pic of his totalled BMW for laffs, thanks)
  • Jen J
    _Brun_ wrote:

I've shrunk it down into something you may find more accommodating. Hope this forum likes gifs...

madonna.gif

Ah, that way is sooo much better...

Thanks

:lol:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    _Brun_ wrote:

madonna.gif

did you miss the L out there?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I spoke much too soon yesterday. 2009 will be an expensive one for me - again - what with the bike being nicked last night. So, "new" secondhand bike, new guards, panniers, lights, computer, airhorn, lock. At least £250 before I've even turned a pedal.
  • I think I got about £600 but thats with a new bike.. some shoes, slime for my tires, cloths and bits and bobs
    "Clothing:
    None +3" Pure awesomeness!

A Felt Q520... My baby and first serious bike! - http://is.gd/9Vab
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Hmm - about 1350 I reckon - carbon frame on ebay, new Fulcrum R3s, Chorus chainset, Centaur ergos, derailleurs, Ritchey bars, .... A few parts still to buy for the new bike, then put it all together!
    Ian
  • I've added it up and it came to a scary 2000 smackers in 2008, though that does include two bikes (one £500 hybrid, new, and one £300 race bike, second hand from a friend).

And even though I managed what I thought was a respectable mileage of 5500 miles, that still works out at 37p a mile. eek. Still, compared to Jash I'm quite the cheapskate, it seems...
  • Jash is quite handy for that...

'Feeling blue about your spending on your bike and kit? Let me introduce you to Jashburnham...'
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Well 2009 has got off to an expensive start.

Spent: £550
    Miles ridden: 0

I think that ratio beats even Jash :lol:
    Today is a good day to ride