Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    New bike - £769.00 - offset £500 by sale of C de F

Rack and guards for above £52.00

Sportive entry - total £ 48.00

So £369.00 outlay for the year - not too bad since I cycle in every day - just over a pound a day
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i dread to think. within the last 2 months...
    £250 at wiggle
    £400 new CX bike
    £75 northwave winter boots
    £15 some SPDs
    £25 new base layer
    £80 new backpack

and i get trade discount...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Suffice to say any money saved on train fares has been spent a number of times over.
    Still, this last 6 months was getting the gear, next year will be cheaper, until I start replacing Decathlon with DHB and DHB with Castelli. But I want a CX bike, so there's a grand already gone. And I'll probably want new toys when I start training for the Tri - gotta treat myself right?

But yeah, next year will be cheaper.

Ah shit, it's not gonna be cheaper is it...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No money is ever saved. Funds are merely diverted.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • christ where do i start?

1200 new cx bike
    500 ish for a schlumpf speed drive for the brommie
    120 goretex pro shell pants
    360 goretex pro shell jacket
    40 goretex pro shell over mitts
    160 new winter boots
    290 dynamo set up on brommie
    140 chrome messenger bag
    250 new bars and stem and brake levers for the brommie
    100 for a few merino tops
    100 ish on maintenance things like chains n brake blocks......

and that's off the top of my head!!

however, the aa website quotes the minimum of 4,500 for running a car on 10k miles per year, so i'm still quids in. i've done about 8 1/2 miles this year commuting alone.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    W1 wrote:
    £491! I thought I was saving money. That's 18p a mile or £3.60 a day. And that doesn't include the bike.

Now a lot of that is kit which won't need replacing next year, and a fair bit is substantial maintenance which also won't be needed next year (I hope!) but it's put a stop to my plan to go clipless for a while.

At least I get a seat I suppose....

Yeah, but no, but yeah but no....

you need to account for the cost over the whole lifetime of the items spent rathaer than just in the year of purchase. Then you can calculate accurately the cost per mile
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    £491! I thought I was saving money. That's 18p a mile or £3.60 a day. And that doesn't include the bike.

Now a lot of that is kit which won't need replacing next year, and a fair bit is substantial maintenance which also won't be needed next year (I hope!) but it's put a stop to my plan to go clipless for a while.

you need to account for the cost over the whole lifetime of the items spent rathaer than just in the year of purchase. Then you can calculate accurately the cost per mile

As I'm not an accountant I prefer to keep it simple - miles per year compared to spend during that year. I don't want to have to work out a cost per miler per year per part.....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    And then there's depreciation of course :shock:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Dunno, I appreciated cycling a lot more than PT :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • So have I, a free new bike worth £1,500 paid for with the money I have saved not spending £30 a week on diesel, and the fact that I have not done 12k in the car this year, just 3k.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • noisemonkey
    noisemonkey Posts: 159
    edited December 2010
    Something in the region of £650 I think but that includes:

Btwin sport 3
    look keo carbon pedals
    spd shoes with cleats
    overshoes
    merino baselayers
    Altura Nightvision trousers
    Oval r900 handlebars
    cateye lights
    heattech baselayer
    jersey
    2 99p shorts off ebay
    baggies
    FSA SLK carbon seatpost
    Selle SMP saddle
    Continental GP4000s tyres
    dhb gloves
    cheapey speedo off ebay.
  • Crapaud wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    £491! ...
    Look at it this way, you just might get third party car insurance for that!

Too right crapaud. Have this very day cancelled insurance renewal for something like that amount after waving bye-bye to the car just before Christmas. With impeccable timing the BSO commuter was then nicked; boy was the joke on that chav numpty.

So the Vulcan then got me through the snow like a trouper - best £150 I ever spent on a second-hander. That plus some odds and ends probably brings this year's tally to about £300. Another second-hand Allez or similar now beckons but that's still only about half the insurance renewal, never mind the initial outlay. Meantime, Streetcar is my friend if I need to keep the rain off.

All in next year I reckon about £400 which doesn't seem too bad, said quickly.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *buries head in sand*Don't want to think about it...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spen666
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

As I'm not an accountant I prefer to keep it simple - miles per year compared to spend during that year. I don't want to have to work out a cost per miler per year per part.....

The figure you quote is completely false as it is not a "cost per mile" as you quote. If you buy a new frame for say £1000 on 31st December and ride one mile that day, the cost per mile according to you would be £1000. Whereas the frame may last you 20 years and be ridden for 100,000 miles, thus the real cost of the frame is £0.01 per mile.

Your calculation will always produce artificially high figures as it is not a true cost per mile figure

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666

W1 is allowing for 100% depreciation in the year of purchase

Twittering @spen_666
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    My new bike is costing me £30 per month this year on the CTW scheme.

I don't need a second car, and I save £30 per week on the cheapest version of PT.

Next year I'll just have the cost of maintenance.

Or possibly N+1...
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    When your other half moans about how much you spend on bike stuff just tell them thats you save £xxxx a year in car fuel etc.

Now that i will be into my 3rd year of commuting i will not be getting any more bikes ( i will not get more than 2 bikes past the wife :cry: ) i reckon after spending money on spares and clothing i will save £700 a year !
    The car only gets used by the wife to get around , what with a 3 year old in tow and she will never get on a bike no matter how much i have tried to get her interest, the car has done maybe 4000 miles this year including holiday travel.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Hmmm, well, not quite so cheap a date this year.

In the minus column, there's the two new bikes, the Orbea and the Genesis, which come in together at about £750, the tarty Pro-lite wheels for the BeOne, about another £180, plus a full commuting wardrobe, I'm reckoning another £250? Plus all the many, many incidentals which must be another £300 at least.

In the plus column, I sold my car in May and have commuted solidly since. That saves me £250 in insurance, £200 in tax, about £400 in yearly maintenance, about £1000 in depreciation and about £2000 in diesel.

Look at that, I'm almost ahead. :twisted:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

The figure you quote is completely false as it is not a "cost per mile" as you quote. If you buy a new frame for say £1000 on 31st December and ride one mile that day, the cost per mile according to you would be £1000. Whereas the frame may last you 20 years and be ridden for 100,000 miles, thus the real cost of the frame is £0.01 per mile.

Your calculation will always produce artificially high figures as it is not a true cost per mile figure

Yes, I know.

If it keeps you happy when I die I'll make sure my executors sell my cycling kit and then work out the depreciation, accounting for inflation too.

Alternatively I'll just see what I spend per year and see how many miles I do in that year and, if it's all the same to you, give not a jot to the accounting accuracy.

Better?
  • spen666
    W1 wrote:
    Yes, I know.

If it keeps you happy when I die I'll make sure my executors sell my cycling kit and then work out the depreciation, accounting for inflation too.

Alternatively I'll just see what I spend per year and see how many miles I do in that year and, if it's all the same to you, give not a jot to the accounting accuracy.

Better?

You are purporting to tell everyone how much cycling costs per mile but are quoting figures which are anything but that.

What you spent in a year is a clear figure. That divided by the miles you ride in one year is not the cost per mile. It creates a figure that shows cycling is FAR more expensive than it is. What you spend per year and how many miles you ride in a year is a factual figure. dividing one by the other is not the cost per mile

This makes cycling seem less attractive. Its a similar principle in the opposite direction that says the cost of motoring is fuel used divided by miles travelled and ignores depreciation. If you bought a £25000 car today & drove 10 miles back from garage, you would not be telling people it costs you £2500 per mile to use your car. Well, you might, but no one with any sense of cost would believe it was accurate

Twittering @spen_666
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    <moment of clarity>

so that's why people get that look on their faces when I say I'm an accountant
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    And I thought I could be pedantic.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Well its mountain biking but I'll be commuting on it soon so it can go in here.

Bike £370 used (new £600)
    Other stuff £270

But the amount i saved is £230 so in my head its £410 but I still haven't bought a set of slicks yet. Hopefully my parents will chip in for those as it would be £80 for a terms bus pass and the slicks will last at least a year.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    2280 euro's... But that got me two bikes and a load of usefull stuf. I also spent 2000 euro's on a new (to me) car that I only drive once a week.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • £50 on lights, £120 on services, £30 on a jacket and a score or so on inner tubes. The alternative to cycling would be two buses, £1.10 and £2.20 each way so £33 a week. The bike pays for itself every month, roughly speaking.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    £50 on lights, £120 on services, £30 on a jacket and a score or so on inner tubes. The alternative to cycling would be two buses, £1.10 and £2.20 each way so £33 a week. The bike pays for itself every month, roughly speaking.

How about doing your own service and save even more
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • £50 on lights, £120 on services, £30 on a jacket and a score or so on inner tubes. The alternative to cycling would be two buses, £1.10 and £2.20 each way so £33 a week. The bike pays for itself every month, roughly speaking.

How about doing your own service and save even more

Can't be arsed. Haven't the patience. Pay the little Halfords grease monkeys to do it.
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    dont do what i did i counted how many bikes ive owned since i started riding about 15 years ago it was 17 at last count.add up the money spent on parts and its well frightening
  • geoff93
    geoff93 Posts: 190
    £1100 on new bike, and then atleast another grand on bits and bobs last year :|. Heres hoping this year I'm more tame with my wallet!
    Trek Madone 3.5 (RS80s, Arione)
    Trek Madone 3.1 (Upgraded)
    Ribble TT Bike
    Trek Mamba (Garry Fisher Collection)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    This year I have not spent anything on bikes or bike related things; zero, nothing, zilch. So far the New Year's resolution is holding strong.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.