Bloody hell - just added up bike costs for last year...

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Come on guys - if you want to have a little fight then do it via PM rather than subjecting the rest of us to your mewlings.

Alternatively MTFU and stop taking things so seriously.

:?

:shock:

:lol:
  • il_principe
    Jash is quite handy for that...

'Feeling blue about your spending on your bike and kit? Let me introduce you to Jashburnham...'

Oh God, I'm not that bad am I? :oops:

Nah, you're just a yardstick against which the rest of us can measure our own spending...

'I've spent loads on bikes and things this year'

'More than Jashburnham?'

'Yes'

'My god.... :shock: '

:wink::D

What about:

'but is it all necessary and tasteful?'

'No'

'You should try to be more like Jasburnham'

:)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Supernanny_cover_tiny.jpg

DDD and Biondino

3 minutes !

Naughty Corner! Now!

And play nice when you come out! :P

:lol: :roll: Doesn't work at home either

mewlings

Great word! Had to look it up!

However it seems that the correct usage would be either 'mewls' or 'mewling'.

What? Not the time or place? :evil:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Secondly, my original point still stands it is in poor taste to feel it appropriate to come online and correct people on their grammar and/or spelling when that person may have difficulties in such areas.

grammar nazism is all part of being on line...

sadly dyslexia is bandied about far too freely as well with it being a poor excuse for laziness. I do realise there is a very small percentile of people on line who are actually diagnosed, but it doesn't hurt to use an inline spell checker does it :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think you mean percentAGE, cp :)

(and a spellchecker doesn't work when you misspell a word in a way that's the correct spelling of another word!)
  • il_principe
    Well I suffer from Dyscalculia.

All helps with the cycling related spending of course, although maths forums are a no go area for me these days.

:?
  • dysexia and others is fairly broad church like most things it is and it isn't what you see on tv.

note that with regard to dysexia spelling checkers and grama checkers are as useful as the much quoted fireguard.
  • Jash is quite handy for that...

'Feeling blue about your spending on your bike and kit? Let me introduce you to Jashburnham...'

Nah, you're just a yardstick against which the rest of us can measure our own spending...

'More than Jashburnham?'

'Yes'

What about:

'No'

Necessary?? Hmmmmmmmm, are you sure? :wink:
  • il_principe
    Jash is quite handy for that...

'More than Jashburnham?'

'Yes'

What about:

'No'

Necessary?? Hmmmmmmmm, are you sure? :wink:

Well know but my boss has just been complaining that I have a good and well though out argument for the necessity of each new package that lands on my desk... like the new colour cordinated Flak Jackets that arrived 5 mins ago.

3170772148_afd278bfbc.jpg
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    biondino wrote:

(and a spellchecker doesn't work when you misspell a word in a way that's the correct spelling of another word!)
    But it will highlight your poor American! At least mine does. I 've had to use a dictionary a lot, since installing it, just to double-check that the English spellings correct. Happily, it usually is. [smug smilie]
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Crapaud wrote:
    biondino wrote:

But it will highlight your poor American! At least mine does. I 've had to use a dictionary a lot, since installing it, just to double-check that the English spellings correct. Happily, it usually is. [smug smilie]

What was that about a smug smilie? :lol:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    Will this never end?
  • Crapaud
    Jen J wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Mist be American. [/smug smilie]

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • il_principe
    Crapaud wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Is it? I didn't think mist laid claim to any particular nationality.
  • I've just moved to London for 6 months, bought a foldie for £275 which I really like surprisingly and a 2nd hand Cannondale Bad Boy for £150 on Gumtree.

I have recycled clothing from Running and Football etc, put my car in the garage back home, SORN'd it and cancelled the insurance for 6 months.

It was costing me £80 to fill my tank a month or so back, so in month or so I should be at zero cost commuting comparison.

I LOVE commuting in London (till I fall off that is!) I actually look forward to going to work
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Is it? I didn't think mist laid claim to any particular nationality.
    Ewe're taking my post two seriously. It was a nod to biondino's comment about misspellings that are correct, but another, different, word.
  • biondino
    Oh you would say that now you've been rumbled.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2009
    Okay, if we're being civil: yes, it would be presumptuous to correct someone's grammar if there are clear indications they may have a problem with dyslexia or similar.

SO basically my point stands.
    You are the opposite! You clearly take pride in your writing (and it can be very eloquently put, such as your paean to commuting) so why not take Cori's comment constructively. It's a common spelling error, it's not just you. Ditto apostrophes.

I think it presumptuous to assume anything of me based on how I write. You don’t know what lengths I go through to write.

A person shouldn’t have to reveal something so personal in order to expect grownups to be reasonable and tolerant towards any lack of ability they may have. They shouldn’t fear being made exception of for it either and that is what all that pedant bullh*t is and that is my trouble with it.
    As for my original comment, if you're going to abuse my friends (without justification IMHO) then I'm going to fight their corner. Wouldn't you do the same?

I stand by my own convictions. Regardless of whether it was a friend or not if I felt they were wrong I’d tell them so.

I didn’t abuse or insult Corrie, I pointed out something that has been bugging me since the pedant thread. Obviously something that offends me on some personal level.

In the end Biondino, the point I was making is this.

There is a growing culture on this site where people were running around correcting the grammar, spelling etc of others and calling them morons for making such mistakes. This was best seen in the pedant thread. This I felt was distasteful. I know people who are talented and highly intelligent but struggle with the basics, I know and work with people who suffer from this because they weren't taught properly and I know those whose issues are more 'psychological'.

I feel that more restraint could be practiced with some on this issue. The same restraint some asked of me when talking about sex as it offends some and because I have no clue what youngsters could be on the receiving end of my posts.

Same with the pedant stuff.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    CP wrote:
    grammar nazism is all part of being on line...

It doesn’t make it right or OK.
    sadly dyslexia is bandied about far too freely as well with it being a poor excuse for laziness. I do realise there is a very small percentile of people on line who are actually diagnosed, but it doesn't hurt to use an inline spell checker does it

I think you’re right.

I have to point out though that when you need to reply quickly – such as at work – you may not have the luxury of an inline spell checker. For that matter my work computer doesn’t have that feature.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Dyxlexia is no excuse for bad grammar or for malapropisms.
  • biondino
    DDD you're clearly not dyslexic, and you're on thin ice arguing the case for people who are. It's not your battle to fight. Imagine if I started telling people what black people wanted!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    wow you really do have to watch these threads carefully - I though this one was all about what amazing amounts of money all you suckers have spent on two wheels (the cheap travel option :wink: )

Boys, girls - calm down, all of you
    It is the weekend, playtime, and we should all be jolly and kind ....

(and sorry, there is no excuse for bad spelling and grammar - young people these days - who's teaching them for goodness' sake?)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    Coriander wrote:

I'm not saying its an excuse. What I'm actually saying is it can affect it.
    Biondino wrote:
    DDD you're clearly not dyslexic, and you're on thin ice arguing the case for people who are. It's not your battle to fight. Imagine if I started telling people what black people wanted!

Thank you for telling me what I am. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with what I do for a living.

Your example is completely out of context.

I'm not telling people what dyslexic people want.

My original point (posted below for clarity) still stands.
    DondaddyD wrote:
    You know one of these days someone is going to tell you they suffer from a dyslexia where typing accurately is near impossible for them and it actually takes them a lot of courage to go online and engage with people because they find their 'condition' embarrassing.

When the above dawns on you, you should feel pretty shitty about yourself for your lack of tolerance and arrogance born out of the assumption that everyone should have the same competent grammatical and spelling skills as yourself.
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    DDD just a couple of questions:

Do you have dyslexia?

What do you do for a living?

Please feel free not to answer, but I am genuinely interested
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Actually yes it does.

How so?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2009
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Actually yes it does.

How so?

See above I've edited my post.

But dyslexia is a learning disability that mostly effects a persons grasp of language. A person may display difficulities with reading, spelling, writing, speaking etc.

I think its in poor taste to go on rampant charge expecting good grammar and spelling from everyone - too the lengths of openly correcting people - without even considering this.
    Food Chain number = 4

• £2800 in a new bike, lights and random kit. im only 14!
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    cullen_bay wrote:
    £2800 in a new bike, lights and random kit. im only 14!

Blimey - must be a nice bike :D

Got a picture of it?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Since (as a commuting lurker) I was enjoying this topic - as it made me feel better about my own reckless expenditure - and I don't like confrontation, I have a question. It's about spending money on bikes.

I'm a mountain biker. (Boo! Hiss!) I love my mountain bike. On the other hand, I love all bikes. I read with interest the post about the Tricross single for £275. In my mind I have now managed to equate that, based on the saving from the original RRP, to being effectively free.

I live in a hilly bit of Surrey. Would it:

a) be foolish because a singlespeed would be ridiculous when it came to going up and down steep hills; or,

b) be another bike and therefore a tremendous idea?

Advice appreciated. Sorry for the off off topic off topic switch (if you see what I mean)!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    cullen_bay wrote:
    £2800 in a new bike, lights and random kit. im only 14!

My paper round never paid that well!!! :shock: :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos