Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Have you looked at your position on the bike? Tight knee caps might be from the slightly chilly headwind?

Thanks for the tips. I do not really have the knowledge to l'ook at my position on the bike'. I bought it Evans and the fitting consisted of him looking at me and telling me it was about the right size.

You could be overstretching, which means that the top tube is too long and/or your stem is too long. Trying a shorter stem is obviously a cheaper option to start with :wink: .Raising your bars by inverting the stem (if you have one of these) can also create a more relaxed position. Is your seat also a bit far back? But it could also be that you need to work on your core strength (i.e. your lower back). Pilates helps a lot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Have you looked at your position on the bike? Tight knee caps might be from the slightly chilly headwind?

Thanks for the tips. I do not really have the knowledge to l'ook at my position on the bike'. I bought it Evans and the fitting consisted of him looking at me and telling me it was about the right size.

You could be overstretching, which means that the top tube is too long and/or your stem is too long. Trying a shorter stem is obviously a cheaper option to start with :wink: .Raising your bars by inverting the stem (if you have one of these) can also create a more relaxed position. Is your seat also a bit far back? But it could also be that you need to work on your core strength (i.e. your lower back). Pilates helps a lot.

Ok, I see what you are getting at. I do find it a bit of a stretch when i am in position to apply the brakes, I will try inverting the stem to bring the handle cars towards me. Thanks.

Pliates - its for girls!?
  • Perhaps there should be two Richmond park groups, a fast one and a slightly less fast one! I get up the hills now...but in a slow but steady fashion. Although I'm also overcautious on bendy downhill bits, which means I lose more speed, so perhaps I should just continue to twiddle round on my own.

Also I am a twit and when I changed my freewheel block the other week I realised I had unwillingly MTFU'ed: the new one has four fewer teeth on the biggest cog. FOUR. Didn't mean to do that. Doh.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If there were two RP groups I would be forced to go with the slower one and while the company might be just as good (and a fair bit better looking :) ) it might not do my manly ego much good!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    biondino wrote:
    If there were two RP groups I would be forced to go with the slower one and while the company might be just as good (and a fair bit better looking :) ) it might not do my manly ego much good!

You have the kit for it though :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • biondino
    Hmm that came out creepier than intended. I just meant there'd be women in the slower group and jonginge's skinny arse in the faster :)
  • I didn't think it was particularly creepy! Being dropped or feeling like people were having to wait for me would be worse for my ego, methinks. :lol: Also I don't have a soot bike or anything like it, so I don't even *look* fast ...no pressure on me!

It's all hypothetical anyway until I have figured out a better way of getting there.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I didn't think it was particularly creepy! Being dropped or feeling like people were having to wait for me would be worse for my ego, methinks. :lol: Also I don't have a soot bike or anything like it, so I don't even *look* fast ...no pressure on me!

It's all hypothetical anyway until I have figured out a better way of getting there.

I picked up the A205 in Wandsworth on saturday and it was pretty much gridlocked. Pretty easy to navigate through if you are used to London commuting...
  • biondino
    Not sure why you hate the South Circular so much, TN - any bits in particular? Wandsworth Town Centre isn't much fun - I pick my lane and bomb it as fast as I can and hope no-one will take me out from behind - but otherwise I'd have thought it's pretty much okay from Stockwell.
  • biondino
    edited January 2009
    (edit - double post as bikeradar told me I was trying access a page that doesn't exist, eh?)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You could always use the A3 :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sadly that road is always gridlocked...I really prefer to avoid it if possible, because I don't actually like filtering for too long if I don't have to. I have planned my commute on roads where there are rarely long queues...so I really don't like doing it on a weekend ride.

Funny enough I have found a decent route *back* from the park that involves crossing the Wandle as it goes into the Thames, but it doesn't work in reverse because large sections of it are one-way.
  • I know this sounds a bit weird coming from someone who commutes through central London every day. But I don't trust cars an inch and usually filtering through the kind of gridlocked traffic you get on the A205 is not possible without being in the door zone, which really puts me off. I don't mind doing it briefly on the commute, at a cautious speed, but not for the long stretches you get on that road. And because I don't enjoy it, it *really* puts me off going for what is supposed to be an enjoyable ride.

Just one of my little neuroses :roll:
  • I know this sounds a bit weird coming from someone who commutes through central London every day. But I don't trust cars an inch ...
    Not at all, in fact that sounds like a quite reasonable point.
  • Perhaps there should be two Richmond park groups, a fast one and a slightly less fast one!

I propose a third group for us invalids to drink coffee and shout MTFU and other constructive and useful criticism as the other two groups pass... :wink:
  • Perhaps there should be two Richmond park groups, a fast one and a slightly less fast one!

I propose a third group for us invalids to drink coffee and shout MTFU and other constructive and useful criticism as the other two groups pass... :wink:

Yes, I like that.

Perhaps we could have ice cream as well...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Perhaps there should be two Richmond park groups, a fast one and a slightly less fast one!

Yes, I like that.

How long do you think your going to be incapacitated for? I ride and train in the hope that one day I'm going chant at you "I was once the leaner, now I'M AM THE MASTER!"

Seriously, you made me 'hurt' during the ride back from the Mopeth, I want a rematch! :evil: At some point later in the year.... maybe next year...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Greg66 wrote:

Yes, I like that.

+1

and cake?
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    Ladies, to enjoy a cake stop one presupposes a start of some description...
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yes, I like that.

+1

and cake?

Hmmm, sounds good.

Oh, I'm not feeling well....
  • Coriander wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yes, I like that.

+1

and cake?

Hmmm, sounds good.

Yes, coffee, ice-cream, cake, cookies, doughnuts... it's all well within our remit.

Maybe a large flag with MTFU printed on it so we don't have to exert ourselves shouting...

We're not well, you know...
  • biondino wrote:
    Ladies, to enjoy a cake stop one presupposes a start of some description...

That's why Jen J said "cake". Not "cakestop".

And I ain't no lady!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Coriander wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Yes, I like that.

+1

and cake?

Hmmm, sounds good.

Yes, coffee, ice-cream, cake, cookies, doughnuts... it's all well within our remit.

Maybe a large flag with MTFU printed on it so we don't have to exert ourselves shouting...

We're not well, you know...

I like your style, LiTs.

And also, imagine, a warm, comfy train ride to Richmond instead of a horrible, horrible ride from Lewisham to the park (and yes I have done it before and it's not nice). And I get terribly, terribly lost.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Perhaps there should be two Richmond park groups, a fast one and a slightly less fast one!

I can see you in the same light as Stadler or Waldorf from the Muppet Show.

"That wasn't bad"
    "Well it was OK"
    "Actually it pretty much sucked"
    "You're terrible!"
    "Boo!!!!!!"
    "BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7Pk ... re=related
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    How long do you think your going to be incapacitated for?

Good question.

I rode in last week, and rode in today (I also rode home last week, which made the riding in worthwhile). At long last I've got to the point where riding isn't making my back worse. In fact, it may not be keeping on a plateau either.

However, I'm still seeing the physio, who seems slightly alarmed at the way the pain areas are moving around my back. I usually get out of bed with some degree of pain, although compared to what I've had, it's more discomfort than pain. Bending down in the mornings is a big no-no (the rest of the day it's a regular sized no-no). Putting one ankle on the other knee whilst seated to put socks on is still properly painful. Funnily enough, I was only thinking today that there's not been a point in the last 6-7 weeks when I haven't been conscious of pain or discomfort from some bit of my back/hips/legs. Funny how you take a working body for granted.

So part of the problem is that I'm not happy in my own mind that I'm fixed (which is not an inaccurate assessment) and that means I can't really start doing things normally again and properly stretching things out.

Having not ridden a bike in anger for probably close to two months now, I have little in the way of speed, and nothing in the way of explosive power or stamina. I thought about RP this weekend, but the truth is that I'm pretty sure I'd be as stiff getting off the bike after three laps as I used to be after a century ride.

So for once in my life I've decided to set realistic targets, and not rush things only to get knocked back ten steps after taking three forward. And having had a mixed bag of experiences skiing (which is the thing I heart doing most, of sports, obviously) over New Year I want to make sure that I don't screw myself up for the Easter ski trip.

Phew. That was a prolix way of saying "dunno", wasn't it? :D

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    @Greg66 - Damn!!!! :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup wrote:

I can see you in the same light as Stadler or Waldorf from the Muppet Show.

"That wasn't bad"
    "Well it was OK"
    "Actually it pretty much sucked"
    "You're terrible!"
    "Boo!!!!!!"
    "BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7Pk ... re=related

Feltup, you could not have not the nail on the head with more pinpoint accuracy than that.

But with more cake/ice-cream/coffee/doughnuts...

250px-StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

That's Greg on the left. Jen, Cori and I will have a competition to see who can most closely resemble the guy on the right... He's Statler, from memory.
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    Reading this has made me miss how much I miss living in Streatham and working in Wimbledon. Maybe I should move back... oh well, too late now. I'll just have to tag along if ever I'm in the big smoke again.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • itboffin
    Elganesh wrote:
    Reading this has made me miss how much I miss living in Streatham and working in Wimbledon. Maybe I should move back... oh well, too late now. I'll just have to tag along if ever I'm in the big smoke again.

I believe we're planning a N.Wales SCR sportive trip sometime this year.

PS. My single speed bike came from Mold :wink:
  • If you are going to wave the MTFU flag at Roehampton Gate you better bring warm clothes - whilst I was trolling round the car park trying to find people there on sunday it was chuffing freezing : keep the bacon sarnies coming and steaming tea by the bucket is the only way to do it and survive
    (and no I wasn't sizing up better bikes to nick!)
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8