Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    I am no longer a paid up member of LD so I shall me mostly poncing around in some posh Rapha kit :wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Looking for a new club? I know a club who'd welcome a nippy rider like you... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm going to Richmond Park on Sunday. Not sure what time and will most likely be riding by myself, want to get an idea of the place and my ability first before I ride with others...

Does anyone have a map of the route they take and/or any recommendations (like time to get there, time I should be looking at riding around it) that they could make.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DDD, if you check out the park on Google maps, you will see the roads make a loop around the park of around 6 miles. You can travel either clockwise or anti (anti is said to be easier). If you were very unfit and could not manage the hills at all, just as I was before I'd ever seen anything resembling a hill and only had my hybrid, then you can go anti but cut across the tarmac trail in the middle (no cars allowed on that bit) and cut out Dark Hill, doing a shorter loop.

I like RP a lot, but it is such a horrible ride there from Stockwell (really busy roads that are clogged with traffic) that I find myself there less and less, which is a shame.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2009
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going to Richmond Park on Sunday. Not sure what time and will most likely be riding by myself, want to get an idea of the place and my ability first before I ride with others...

Does anyone have a map of the route they take and/or any recommendations (like time to get there, time I should be looking at riding around it) that they could make.

Easy - go through Wimbledon Town, up the hill and through the village, then along the common. From Tibbet's corner you can risk the A3 or ride on the shared pavement down to Robin Hood gate in RP, or continue to Putney, turn left along Upper Richmond Road and then left into Priory Road which takes you to Roehampton gate. ,First way about 5 miles, second about 6 miles.

If you're very early, the A3 should be ok. The shared path is not nice, but it was the only route I knew until recently. The Putney route, though longer, is probably best at any time.

Coming back, I now use Roehampton Gate, second right into Clarence Ave, right at the end, left into Rodway Rf, then after a while, right into Telegraph Road. Short off road section takes you to the subway under Tibbett's Corner - I've never dared ride over that unless it's very early and quiet.

EDIT - in terms of routes in the park, there's the main road around the park, it's about 6.8 miles, can't really get lost - stick to the outside unless you can see it only goes to a gate exit.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Biodino posted a really good map of the park a little while ago, i'll see if I can find it.

The last two times i've arrange to meet up with cjcp for a RP ride something has happened to prevent me, so pencil me in but if i'm not there then fate has struck again.

Is anyone going single speed?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Nah, i'll be going geared so i don't slow the other guys down too much

• DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Easy - go through Wimbledon Town, up the hill and through the village, then along the common. From Tibbet's corner you can risk the A3 or ride on the shared pavement down to Robin Hood gate in RP, or continue to Putney, turn left along Upper Richmond Road and then left into Priory Road which takes you to Roehampton gate. ,First way about 5 miles, second about 6 miles.

If you're very early, the A3 should be ok. The shared path is not nice, but it was the only route I knew until recently. The Putney route, though longer, is probably best at any time.

Coming back, I now use Roehampton Gate, second right into Clarence Ave, right at the end, left into Rodway Rf, then after a while, right into Telegraph Road. Short off road section takes you to the subway under Tibbett's Corner - I've never dared ride over that unless it's very early and quiet.

EDIT - in terms of routes in the park, there's the main road around the park, it's about 6.8 miles, can't really get lost - stick to the outside unless you can see it only goes to a gate exit.

Thanks for the route getting there. The A3 is a little daunting so I think I'll be trying the longer route.

The loop around Richmond park on Google maps looks like it goes through the park...

Does it include Queens road and Sawyers hill?

RichmondPark.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Are you guys on a social ride or a training ride?
  • Yes DDD, it includes Queen's Rd and Sawyer's Hill, and the other ones unnamed on there form the loop.
  • Littigator
    Sewinman wrote:

Social which has the risk of getting out of hand I would suggest. Why are you gonna join us.....come onnnnnnnnn!

• Sewinman
    Littigator wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Social which has the risk of getting out of hand I would suggest. Why are you gonna join us.....come onnnnnnnnn!

I was thinking about it but am not hugely fit so didnt want to slow you down. I will bust a gut and try and keep up for bit.
  • Littigator
    That's the only way to improve...and besides you might be overestimating our pace. And even more surprisingly, we may be feeling nice and hang about :P

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Littigator wrote:
    Ooooh an RP ride this Sunday...I think I can make that. What's the plan again?

I was just thinking I mi9ght come along to this

but I remember my mum's come to visit...booo

What time just in case? and how long is it overall?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Littigator wrote:
    That's the only way to improve...and besides you might be overestimating our pace. And even more surprisingly, we may be feeling nice and hang about :P

Cool - see you there, briefly or otherwise. I will be the one with no cycling specific clothes and a Trek!
  • Littigator
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

I think someone mentioned 1pm earlier. And work on about 20mins per lap and I think 2-3 laps were suggested. Laps are just short of 7 miles

• 20 mins a lap?!

It's a good job the nasty ride to RP from Stockwell puts me off going...you lot would leave me in the dust. In my defence, my 'vintage' tourer is not built for speed...but even so, I've not yet managed that.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I did 19'56" on my only sub 20 minute lap ever, and that was the first part of my 63'36" best three lap time. I doubt I could get within 5 minutes of the latter now.
  • itboffin
    20mins per lap....?

LITTs have you been drinking?

if not perhaps you should :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    20mins per lap....?

LITTs have you been drinking?

if not perhaps you should :twisted:

Depends which way. I was thinking more 20-22 min laps if I'm out for a couple of hours and I suspect that the traffic will play its part in holding us up a certain points. I need to focus on mileage more than busting a hump.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I'm doing an amazing job of getting slower and slower
  • For anyone in the Leicester area this group provides great weekend day and Wednesday evening social rides. Friendly bunch, not a racing group.

http://www.leicesterspokes.org.uk/
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

<loud cough> Beer. <loud cought> :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Beer makes you faster, its a scientific fact 8)
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

<loud cough> Beer. <loud cought> :twisted:

Er! Waitrose good ordinary claret actually ...
  • cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

I think someone mentioned 1pm earlier. And work on about 20mins per lap and I think 2-3 laps were suggested. Laps are just short of 7 miles

CP - Yep, meeting at 1pm at Sheen Gate roundabout where you turn off for Sheen Gate. We'll meet at the gate at the start of the hill up to the Ballet school. Hope to be in the Park until just after 3pm or until I do 6 laps.

Sewinman - definitely come along. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    My training is not going well, at this rate i'm going to be single digit MPH :cry::cry::cry:
  • cjcp
    So who's coming tomorrow?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I almost couldn't make it AGAIN.

Got in the car this morning turned the key and nothing :cry:

AA man swap in my new (old) battery which won't hold a charge :cry::cry:

Old battery seems to be okay at the moment, so we'll see tomorrow :?

I still have to change the crankset on my road bike as I found the compact setup useless last time we did RP and just finished fitting new Michelin's to my new Mavic wheels I just wish I'd bought ultralite tubes...

If the car starts I'll be there and I'll be bringing two (single speed & road) bikes plus the family (not riding).
  • DonDaddyD
    What time you guys gonna be there?

I'm gonna try and get there early to do my laps but may hang around after if not actually joining in the laps....
    Food Chain number = 4