Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    There's no shame in being dropped on the hills by a man who has done the Alpe D'Huez only 1 hours slower than Lance Armstrong.
    LA went up it in ~37mins30secs. +1hr would seem a bit excessive. Attica?

LA 37min 36 sec Alpe D'Huez PB in 2004, second fastest so far is an avg speed of

15.3690 mph
    24.7340 kmh
    6.8705 meters/sec
    1352.4738 feet/minute

Elevation of (1,860 metres) 6,102 ft

6000+ ft in one climb :shock: holly molly that's crazy even for a pro let alone someone of Attica's accelerated years :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ahem

Mrs A's Uncle lent us his motorhome for 3 weeks, the plan was to drive and see as much of France, Northern Spain and perhaps even North Italy as we could. There were two bits that we chose individually, I got Alpe D'Huez and Mrs A plumped for the Haribo Factory Museum which we did a couple of days later.

I did two rides in the three weeks the Alpe and a gorgeous ride from France into Spain along the coast road.

So yes, I am still married and I'll probably be forgiven for going on an SCR trip to the Alps if one should get organised, who else is in?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Attica wrote:
    Ahem

Mrs A's Uncle lent us his motorhome for 3 weeks, the plan was to drive and see as much of France, Northern Spain and perhaps even North Italy as we could. There were two bits that we chose individually, I got Alpe D'Huez and Mrs A plumped for the Haribo Factory Museum which we did a couple of days later.

I did two rides in the three weeks the Alpe and a gorgeous ride from France into Spain along the coast road.

So yes, I am still married and I'll probably be forgiven for going on an SCR trip to the Alps if one should get organised, who else is in?

+1

Question is winter or summer :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    Call me a coward and tell me to MTFU but, summer?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Hi, well there's an offer to get me out of lurking and into making my first post! I'd be well up for an Alps trip. How about autumn - out of the summer heat but before things get too nasty?
  • attica
    Good thinking BOB, I suppose the same logic could be applied to a spring trip if we've got time to organise.

Oh and welcome to the forum
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Thanks Attica, I'm sure I'll be very happy here... :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    Good thinking BOB, I suppose the same logic could be applied to a spring trip if we've got time to organise.

Spring would be out for for me. Couple of reasons:

1. Going to Flanders, so need the summer to get brownie points up.

2. Way too heavy to start thinking about 10km uphill. :cry:

What about late August?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Ahem

+1

Question is winter or summer :lol:

+1 - late summer would suit really.

What's the Alp like compared to the Tourmalet - anyone ridden both?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Attica wrote:

Spring would be out for for me. Couple of reasons:

1. Going to Flanders, so need the summer to get brownie points up.

2. Way too heavy to start thinking about 10km uphill. :cry:

What about late August?
    Some of the climbs thereabouts would still be snowladen during the spring.

Not ridden the Tourmalet but I think it's more equivalent to the Galibier than the Alpe (ie longer but not so consistently steep)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Jon - are there nearby climbs we could do that day and the day after/before? For example, is it feasible to do some of the Marmotte course in reverse?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Jon - are there nearby climbs we could do that day and the day after/before? For example, is it feasible to do some of the Marmotte course in reverse?
    :shock:
    In theory yeah. Galibier, Croix de Fer, Telegraph all close. The descent off the Galibier down to Bourg d'Oison is awesome :)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    :shock:
    In theory yeah. Galibier, Croix de Fer, Telegraph all close. The descent off the Galibier down to Bourg d'Oison is awesome :)

Cool. The Galibier descent is the one I'd like to do - not because I like descending (I'm not very fond of it all), but because most people I've spoken to rave about it. Getting to the top though could be an issue. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin wrote:

Elevation of (1,860 metres) 6,102 ft

6000+ ft in one climb :shock: holly molly that's crazy even for a pro let alone someone of Attica's accelerated years :lol:

It would be.

The top is at 1850 or so. But the base of the climb is at about 750m, not sea level.

You knew that, right? :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Thanks Attica, I'm sure I'll be very happy here... :D

Ohhhhhhh I've just figured out who you are! Hi :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    Thanks Attica, I'm sure I'll be very happy here... :D

Ohhhhhhh I've just figured out who you are! Hi :)

Attica's Grandson?

:D
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=82341&l=cf913&id=610308687

Hmm I wonder if this has worked? A pitiful collection of three snaps from the IOW

Note to self - buy a decent little camera to cycle with. My phone is rubbish!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • cjcp
    I'm hoping to pop out either Saturday or Sunday afternoon for a few laps of RP if you're interested. Need to get a few miles in before HOTA.

Emu - if you're reading this, more than welcome to join in.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Can't do Sat but Sun would be good. Also need miles before HOTA :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Cool. I'll be out by 1pm. Which gate do you enter the Park?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Sheen. 1pm is very civilized and after the rain according to metcheck :)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Ok. I'm in at Kingston Gate. Shall I meet you at the roundabout there and ride c/w for three, anti c/w for 2-3 with a deviation out to Richmond and Nightingale Lane? (I fully appreciate I'm gonna get spanked going uphill - I've just seen your time up Alpe D'Huez compared to Mr Bye's :shock: ).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Ok. I'm in at Kingston Gate. Shall I meet you at the roundabout there and ride c/w for three, anti c/w for 2-3 with a deviation out to Richmond and Nightingale Lane?
    Sounds good.
    cjcp wrote:
    (I fully appreciate I'm gonna get spanked going uphill - I've just seen your time up Alpe D'Huez compared to Mr Bye's :shock: ).
    :shock: Not seen Mr Bye's time. Wazzit? I'm never going to get anywhere near his 3lap challenge time
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    (I fully appreciate I'm gonna get spanked going uphill - I've just seen your time up Alpe D'Huez compared to Mr Bye's :shock: ).
    :shock: Not seen Mr Bye's time. Wazzit? I'm never going to get anywhere near his 3lap challenge time

54 mins. I'm not sure if that was at the end of the Marmotte, but still.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Jen J wrote:
    Dec 21st - RP

Jan 3rd - Isle of Wight

Jan 18th - RP

Feb 1st Hell of Ashdown

Feb 15th - RP

March 1st - Marlborough Loop?

March 15th - RP

April 5th - Bristol area?

April 19th - RP

Just refreshing the original list. Not sure how many I'll make now...;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

54 mins. I'm not sure if that was at the end of the Marmotte, but still.
    Hehe. I'm closer to his Alpe time than I am to his 3lap challenge time*. (His was probably at the end of the marmotte)

*Should do a warm-up next time. our hotel was just next to the roundabout at the bottom
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    cjcp wrote:
    I'm hoping to pop out either Saturday or Sunday afternoon for a few laps of RP if you're interested. Need to get a few miles in before HOTA.

Emu - if you're reading this, more than welcome to join in.

I'll monitor conditions - but could well be up for it after my mishap in the hills this weekend.

The long grazed legged one
  • cjcp
    No problem. You recovering?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Ooooh an RP ride this Sunday...I think I can make that. What's the plan again?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    Cool. 1pm at Sheen Gate roundabout.

This also raises an interesting question re kit - do we all wear our respective club kit? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."