Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I almost forgot today is the IOW ride, aren't there several team SCR members in attendance?

Indeed it was

to summarise:
    4 in attendance - Biondino, Attica, linsen and Jen
    Top temperature 3
    Lowest -3
    Average speed, ahem, not telling you
    Time spent in pub - too long
    Time therefore spent riding in the dark - a bit too long
    Number of SCR members taken out by a dog off the lead on way back from ferry: 1
    Number of hours spent in A and E - a couple
    Numbers of broken shoulders - 1

Brilliant time had by all!!

Quote of the day Biondino: "thank f*** it's another hill (yes, it was that cold)

Sounds like a nice ride - I rode small parts of it about 17 years ago ( :shock: now I feel old) and it was lovely. Really sorry to hear about the collar bone. Jen - was that you? What does this mean for DIMUK?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I almost forgot today is the IOW ride, aren't there several team SCR members in attendance?

Indeed it was

to summarise:
    Top temperature 3
    Lowest -3

Quote of the day Biondino: "thank f*** it's another hill (yes, it was that cold)

Ace (not the shoulder bit) :lol:

Did you take any pics? and I hope one of you recorded the route :lol:

Quote 2 from Biondino: "Couldn't the hill be a bit steeper?"

It was Jen who hit the dog about 400 yards from Linsen's house on the way home - how unlucky could she be (I guess hitting a dog before we'd even reached the island, maybe). Poor love - hope you get better soon.

As for the route, please find it here, and if you're interested in seeing the elevation profile it's here.

It was brilliant (if, for three quarters of an hour or so, utterly miserable, and despite it ending so unfortunately) and linsen was a wonderful hostess, channeller of Nigella and possessor of the loudest laugh I've ever encountered.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ouch! get well soon Jen
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Ow.

Dog ran out just in front of me, and I could do nothing to avoid it.

Seeing the fracture clinic tomoorow morning, but my thinking at the moment is DIM is a write off for me, as tomorrow is when full training kicks in. Being so new to biking and swimming, I can't afford 2 months off and starting from scratch again, so I'll see if I can defer to next year (if they're doing it) and concentrate on running this year - I still have some tough races in the summer.

I'll carry on biking and swimming, but it'll be for fun and fitness than any specific purpose.

Not sure how I feel about it - I've lost my target race for the year just a few days into 2009, but I think the drugs are stopping me minding too much at the moment.

Other than that, it was a fantastic weekend - great company, great route, and great food. Thanks Linds xx
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sorry to hear about the accident Jen :-( Must be some sorta SCR curse :wink:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Oh Jen that sucks, so so sorry for you but don't let it get you down too much, you might find you come back stronger and fitter. Did you damage your bike in the crash, was it on the Trek?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    Oh Jen that sucks, so so sorry for you but don't let it get you down too much, you might find you come back stronger and fitter. Did you damage your bike in the crash, was it on the Trek?

No, I hadn't taken the Trek - thank goodness. Only cosmetic damage to the hoods, bar tape and saddle on the old roadie.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    evening Jen :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    sorry to here about the shoulder jen, did mine in sept so know how annoying and painfull it is

hope you feel better soon :)

..looked like a good...but chilly ride though :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • CJCP - have sent you a PM regarding the Ashdown ride (I hope I have at least cos this site is going very slowly at the mo!)

Regards

DiggingDeeper
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • cjcp
    CJCP - have sent you a PM regarding the Ashdown ride (I hope I have at least cos this site is going very slowly at the mo!)

Regards

DiggingDeeper[/quote

Got it, mate. Cheers. Have responded.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Jen J wrote:
    Seeing the fracture clinic tomoorow morning, but my thinking at the moment is DIM is a write off for me, as tomorrow is when full training kicks in. Being so new to biking and swimming, I can't afford 2 months off and starting from scratch again, so I'll see if I can defer to next year (if they're doing it) and concentrate on running this year - I still have some tough races in the summer.

I'll carry on biking and swimming, but it'll be for fun and fitness than any specific purpose.

Not sure how I feel about it - I've lost my target race for the year just a few days into 2009, but I think the drugs are stopping me minding too much at the moment.

:( Sorry to hear this, Jen.

If it's any consolation, it might be a blessing in disguise. So, you'll actually have more time to train and, IME, I was stronger and faster on the bike and run (my swimming has always been pants, and always will be) after two winters of both under my belt. So, if you enter one next year, you'll be stronger when you get to the start line than you would be this year. There seems to be a demand for longer events at present, so there'll be other DIMs I'm sure.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Hey Jen, how many feet of ascent did we manage?
  • Jen J
    I missed a couple of miles, but the 705 stats are as follows...

Total time (all stops except lunch) 6.00
    Distance 61.31 miles
    Ave Speed 10.2 mph
    Ave speed taking into account your wee stops 17.4 mph(approx.)
    Ascent 3714ft

EDIT - just managed to successfully get this into GTC, which has the ascent as 4172 ft? Odd.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • biondino
    Hmph. I didn't make that many wee stops!! Did I? Also I think it would be useful to have speed in daylight vs speed in dark with insufficient lighting on poorly-paved back roads with threat of black ice :)
  • linsen
    Actual riding time was just over 5 hours, meaning on the downside that there must have been an hour of faffing, but on the upside the average speed was nearly 12mph (for me anyway)
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Sounds amusing - pl provide a little detail - how far and how fast and KO time for RP particularly
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    gbs wrote:
    Sounds amusing - pl provide a little detail - how far and how fast and KO time for RP particularly

I have to admit, I've absolutely no idea what you mean by KO or RP, unless you mean Richmond Park - You do know we were on the Isle of Wight don't you?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm assuming it's just a request for ride details and that KO=kick-off.

The RP rides are normally 3 circuits (~20miles) at a reasonably sociable pace followed by cake. Speed is very variable :) The first one was at 9am but was too early for some to easily make it.
    Unless I've missed them there haven't been any into the Surrey Hills yet
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I've only read the first page and the last, but it appears that we (as in myself and a small group of others from this forum) have been doing something similar on this forum, but we tend to meet at Richmond Park and then generally do a Surrey Hills country run.

Is anyone welcome on your rides, whats the format and what speed are we talking about, as I'd also love to join you sometime and I reckon a few of the guys I ride with would too?

Anyone wanting a Surrey Hills run are also more than welcome to come along on our weekly run (Refer here for latest thread), although with icy weather and a few recent falls we've been a bit precious this weekend just gone and mostly just done park laps. :oops:.

Anyway apologies if it appears that I'm infiltrating this thread and "poaching" riders. Not the case, we're not a club but just a social bunch of odd balls who like a ride, and just thought I'd throw it out there as another option for riders who can't make your rides, and vice versa if that's ok.

The long grazed legged one
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Indeed it was

to summarise:
    Top temperature 3
    Lowest -3

Congratulations to you all. Did think about joining you, half-heartedly, but I think I'll wait for the Randonnee to have a crack at those hills. Did the 55k route last year, actually did 59 miles, so I should manage the whole damn thing. Though this year I think I'll be walking some of those hills rather than hyperventilating.
    Got chased by a dog myself Saturday, stupid thing nearly got itself killed (2 lanes of fast traffic).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    Greetings The emu yes anyone is welcome and the theme is very much no one gets left behind, not a club run format or even a sportive, purely sociable fun runs with a bit of TART on the side.

Jen J has outlined a schedule on this thread for the longer 2009 monthly runs, the RP rides are more adhoc, what with all the man flu and unpredictable weather right now.

The more the merrier.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Thanks,

I'll monitor this post with interest, maybe with a view of joining everyone for the Malborough ride, if not on an RP loop beforehand.

Shame I missed the Hell of Ashdown too - didn't even know about it but there are so many sportives over here compared to back home (I'm an Aussie - please don't hold it against me) its difficult to keep on top of it all.

The long grazed legged one
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    The emu wrote:
    Thanks,

I'll monitor this post with interest, maybe with a view of joining everyone for the Malborough ride, if not on an RP loop beforehand.

Shame I missed the Hell of Ashdown too - didn't even know about it but there are so many sportives over here compared to back home (I'm an Aussie - please don't hold it against me) its difficult to keep on top of it all.
    Well, Jen J entered HOTA but may not be able to go due to her broken arm. I wonder if the entry is transferable...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    The emu wrote:
    Thanks,

Well, Jen J entered HOTA but may not be able to go due to her broken arm. I wonder if the entry is transferable...

Check with Digging Deeper too. I'll PM him now.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • linsen
    So who exactly is still doing the HOTA?
  • itboffin
    I didn't get a place in time :cry: if they're transferable I'd love to enter if not I might come along anyway for support.
  • linsen
    you can wear an invisibilty cape and drag me up the hills if you like! I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get up some of them....... (and now no other girls to ride with either :cry: )
  • linsen
    StuAff wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Indeed it was

to summarise:
    Top temperature 3
    Lowest -3

Congratulations to you all. Did think about joining you, half-heartedly, but I think I'll wait for the Randonnee to have a crack at those hills. Did the 55k route last year, actually did 59 miles, so I should manage the whole damn thing. Though this year I think I'll be walking some of those hills rather than hyperventilating.
    Got chased by a dog myself Saturday, stupid thing nearly got itself killed (2 lanes of fast traffic).

StuAff I admittedly have no idea how fit you are but I really think there is no hill on the IOW you would have to walk up. Low gears and nice and slow should be the last resort (in my humble opinion).
    I've done it twice now - once in the blistering heat and once in the freezing cold, and six months ago I was very new to road biking - it was fine.
  • Jen J
    linsen wrote:
    you can wear an invisibilty cape and drag me up the hills if you like! I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get up some of them....... (and now no other girls to ride with either :cry: )

:cry::cry::cry:
    Madone

It's all about me...