Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    Jen, how are you doing?

Having a bad patch this afternoon. It all just hurts at the moment. I feel sick from the painkillers, the painkillers aren't killing the pain and I'm frustrated at not being able to do anything. I just about managed to spread some nutella on my toast and felt ridiculously proud.

Self pity is currently my best friend. I'll snap out of it soon...;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    JonGinge wrote:
    The emu wrote:
    Thanks,

I'll monitor this post with interest, maybe with a view of joining everyone for the Malborough ride, if not on an RP loop beforehand.

Shame I missed the Hell of Ashdown too - didn't even know about it but there are so many sportives over here compared to back home (I'm an Aussie - please don't hold it against me) its difficult to keep on top of it all.
    Well, Jen J entered HOTA but may not be able to go due to her broken arm. I wonder if the entry is transferable...

Thanks for the thought, but any spares should go to ITBoffin et el from this thread first....of course beyond that if there's any floating around I'd be happy to take one off of someone's hands. :wink:

Raises a good poiint though, is it open road and can you just join in without registering? ITBoffin and I could play camera man one and two :D

The long grazed legged one
  • Jen J wrote:
    Jen, how are you doing?

Having a bad patch this afternoon. It all just hurts at the moment. I feel sick from the painkillers, the painkillers aren't killing the pain and I'm frustrated at not being able to do anything. I just about managed to spread some nutella on my toast and felt ridiculously proud.

Ahhhhhh muchos sympathy. Are you in plaster?

Go back and beat up the NHS about the painkillers. They should kill the pain, and if they don't there's almost always something stronger available... mmmm drugs. :wink:

The frustration doesn't get any better. :x
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    linsen wrote:
    So who exactly is still doing the HOTA?

I am.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jen J
    Jen J wrote:
    Jen, how are you doing?

Go back and beat up the NHS about the painkillers. They should kill the pain, and if they don't there's almost always something stronger available... mmmm drugs. :wink:

Not in plaster - it's too awkward a place, I need to go back next week and they'll decide whether to operate or not. I'm not very good with frustration, but maybe I'll have learnt how to be a calmer, more patient, zen-like person after two months...or maybe not :twisted:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Jen J wrote:
    Jen, how are you doing?

Sorry to have just read backwards and learn about IOW and the dog.
    :cry::cry::cry:

Look on the bright side, you didn't brake the Madonna (or the purse strings).
    :D:D:D

The long grazed legged one
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    JonGinge wrote:
    I'm assuming it's just a request for ride details and that KO=kick-off.

The RP rides are normally 3 circuits (~20miles) at a reasonably sociable pace followed by cake. Speed is very variable :) The first one was at 9am but was too early for some to easily make it.
    Unless I've missed them there haven't been any into the Surrey Hills yet

Yes re KO. Thanks for info and I will come along as soon as I have sorted the gears (currently lowest available is 1.7x which is hard work) and if we can be reasonably sure of ice free conditions.

More acronyms for you

BRs
    GBS
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Jen J wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    Jen, how are you doing?

Not in plaster - it's too awkward a place, I need to go back next week and they'll decide whether to operate or not. I'm not very good with frustration, but maybe I'll have learnt how to be a calmer, more patient, zen-like person after two months...or maybe not :twisted:

:lol:

Sorry I shouldn't laugh but I totally understand after months of ever increasing dosages of painkillers for my knee I finally used my bupa account and got the real stuff, mind you I couldn't actually do anything other than sit and dribble. :lol:

mmmm drugs :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I still have some spare codine and Diclofenac from my busted shoulder if you need it :D although it did make me either giggle, sleep and lose concentration very quickly, which was amusing to my housemates but boy you end up with a lot of half drunk cups of tea everywhere :oops:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'm in for HOTA
    Having a couple of photographers would certainly be good for a laugh,
    The roads won't be closed - there's only one closed road event in the UK, the Etape du Caledonia. (having found that fact out recently it's gone on my "to do" list)

I've also nominated myself as an honourary girlie for the day and will accompany Linsen around the course, (actually I strongly suspect she'll give me a run for my money all day, young Linsen is no slouch I'll have you know)

Hey Jen - How's my favourite Granddaughter? Would you like a Werthers original?

Gramps
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

Gramps

That's just a teeeeeeeeeeeny bit odd...

But I mean no offence by that observation. Those werthers ads used to kind of creep me out.
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    I'm in for HOTA
    Having a couple of photographers would certainly be good for a laugh,
    The roads won't be closed - there's only one closed road event in the UK, the Etape du Caledonia. (having found that fact out recently it's gone on my "to do" list)

I've also nominated myself as an honourary girlie for the day and will accompany Linsen around the course, (actually I strongly suspect she'll give me a run for my money all day, young Linsen is no slouch I'll have you know)

Gramps

Yep that's a little creepy... STOP it
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You weren't on the Isle of Wight, itb and LiT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT ON.
  • attica
    edited January 2009
    Woah there, just realised what you mean...

...and I'm not even her real Grandfather.
    It's a sad day when such innocent actions get so badly misinterpreted.
    I blame the Daily Mail
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • True...

Wish I had been :cry:

Next time!
  • Jen J
    Attica wrote:

Gramps

Aw, hi pops. :lol:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    You weren't on the Isle of Wight, itb and LiT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT ON.

Oooohhh so what exactly DID happen? :shock:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Well, Jash, for some reason Biondino started calling me Mum. Jen nominated herself as stroppy teenage daughter and Attica was deemed Granddad (nothing at all to do with his distinguished greying locks, but rather his painfully slow pace up all the hills :wink: )

That's it.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • attica
    linsen wrote:
    Well, Jash, for some reason Biondino started calling me Mum. Jen nominated herself as stroppy teenage daughter and Attica was deemed Granddad (nothing at all to do with his distinguished greying locks, but rather his painfully slow pace up all the hills :wink: )

That's it.

Oi Mum!
    It was nothing to do with my speed, just the fact that I am obviously so wise and stuff.

(go on, tell them how much I dropped you all by, go on)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    (go on, tell them how much I dropped you all by, go on)

Shan't
  • attica
    :D
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'm sure I remember reading a few pages back now that Gramps brought a SS to the IOW, mucho kudos for dropping them! I assume all downhill ;-)

I'm really gonna have to try and get out on some of these social rides, but it'll mean saving up all my brownie points or getting a divorce! Not to sure at this present moment which is cheaper or easier :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    I'm sure I remember reading a few pages back now that Gramps brought a SS to the IOW, mucho kudos for dropping them! I assume all downhill

sadly not, no.........
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There's no shame in being dropped on the hills by a man who has done the Alpe D'Huez only 1 hours slower than Lance Armstrong.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    There's no shame in being dropped on the hills by a man who has done the Alpe D'Huez only 1 hours slower than Lance Armstrong.
    LA went up it in ~37mins30secs. +1hr would seem a bit excessive. Attica?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • attica
    Ah, that was in August 2007, I'd done absolutely no training at all as I'd been planning my wedding/attending church regularly etc.

It's not an official time and not very accurate, I started timing myself from somewhere on the road between the campsite and Bourg D'Oisans (about 5 miles away along the valley) Forgot to reset at the bottom.

Set off and got proper dropped at the bottom by an old French bloke (white hair, deep deep tan) who took exception to my cheery English "Good Morning" at the bottom of the hill. Gladly I retook him about halfway up with a second equally cheery "good Morning" hehe

....and yes it was during our honeymoon that I rode the Alpe :)
    I want to go back and take a bit of form with me sometime soon, anything under the hour would be good if not necessarily acheivable
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Attica wrote:
    Gladly I retook him about halfway up with a second equally cheery "good Morning" hehe

Did you give him The Look? :lol:

I salute you, sir. :D
    I want to go back and take a bit of form with me sometime soon, anything under the hour would be good if not necessarily acheivable

Would love to have a pop myself. Perhaps a Team SCR group trip? I think Jon has gone under or close to the hour, so, given that he's half goat, but weighs even less, I reckon 1hr 20m would be good going for me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    Gladly I retook him about halfway up with a second equally cheery "good Morning" hehe

Did you give him The Look? :lol:

I salute you, sir. :D

Would love to have a pop myself. Perhaps a Team SCR group trip? I think Jon has gone under or close to the hour, so, given that he's half goat, but weighs even less, I reckon 1hr 20m would be good going for me.
    Reason I queried was I rode up it at the end of a weeks holiday in september. I did 59mins dead at an average HR of 173. No skin breathing, I was definately trying ;)
    EDIT: my avatar photo was taken on that day
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    Ah, that was in August 2007, I'd done absolutely no training at all as I'd been planning my wedding/attending church regularly etc.

It's not an official time and not very accurate, I started timing myself from somewhere on the road between the campsite and Bourg D'Oisans (about 5 miles away along the valley) Forgot to reset at the bottom.

Set off and got proper dropped at the bottom by an old French bloke (white hair, deep deep tan) who took exception to my cheery English "Good Morning" at the bottom of the hill. Gladly I retook him about halfway up with a second equally cheery "good Morning" hehe

So are you saying you arranged your honeymoon in the Alps so you could ride a TdF stage???

Are you still married????

:shock: