Weekend Social Rides

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    well if anyone fancies a ride on Sat, I'll be leaving Richmond Park at 9 I think and heading out to Surrey.

Here's the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/london/808123693540811271

EDIT: BikeRouteToaster - used to plot the route, and MyMyRide (used to share the route) disagree wildly on climb:

BikeRouteToaster = 7570 feet
    MyMyRide = 4009 feet

:roll:

avg the two :wink:

106 miles just a short ride then :D

Normally i'd love to but the forecast this Sunday is goooood so I'm hitting 'The Road' on the way to the in-laws for lunch, the long way :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    well if anyone fancies a ride on Sat, I'll be leaving Richmond Park at 9 I think and heading out to Surrey.

Here's the route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/london/808123693540811271

EDIT: BikeRouteToaster - used to plot the route, and MyMyRide (used to share the route) disagree wildly on climb:

BikeRouteToaster = 7570 feet
    MyMyRide = 4009 feet

:roll:

avg the two :wink:

106 miles just a short ride then :D

Normally i'd love to but the forecast this Sunday is goooood so I'm hitting 'The Road' on the way to the in-laws for lunch, the long way :wink:

I've run a couple more rides off this am, shorter versions, one 95 miler that keeps all the big hills and a 77 miles that loses Box and Leith.

77 Miles:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=36007

95 Miles:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=36005
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have been having much fun downloading routes onto the edge. Now I just need to ride them! I'll be taking it to oz...
  • itboffin
    Talking of routes, yesterdays ride has inspired me to create a cycle version of an old army fav. hill reps - very simple really you just hack up and down the hills until you puke, passout or give up :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Just plotted one from Nottingham out to the Cat and Fiddle and back and it comes out at 125 miles which is OK but also 11000ft ascent! This one could hurt.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Good god, this thread is now degenrating into some sort of d!ck wangling route contest ;-)
    First I suggest that monster, then JA comes on saying "PAH! I'll that this weekend........"
    Now we have Feltup upping the ante with a ride 20 miles longer with 3,000ft more climbing!!!

WHAT NEXT, anyone up for a ride up Everest?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    Talking of routes, yesterdays ride has inspired me to create a cycle version of an old army fav. hill reps - very simple really you just hack up and down the hills until you puke, passout or give up :D

Yeah, I've got a hill rep programmed into the Turbo, 500 metres at 7%, 1k flat, rinse and repeat.

Hate it!
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Good god, this thread is now degenrating into some sort of d!ck wangling route contest ;-)
    First I suggest that monster, then JA comes on saying "PAH! I'll that this weekend........"
    Now we have Feltup upping the ante with a ride 20 miles longer with 3,000ft more climbing!!!

Did it this morning - before breakfast

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • il_principe

Steady on old chap :lol: , I'm just excited about the prospect of a decent ride in warmer weather than last weekend :shock: . Anyway it's your fault, that Evans ride inspired me to get back out into the Surrey Hills. You should come along one day (if you can lose the wife and nippers for the morning). You've got some great countryside on your doorstep and i'm riding solo these days - well until Tom and Will MTFU!

So this Everest thing you mention...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I'd love nothing more then to go riding off into the Surrey Hills (oh er!) but losing the wife + 5 is difficult! Even if I suggest, oh say, taking the family to RP she just says "What so you can go off for a ride?"

Maybe I could start closer to home, I'm sure the kids would have great fun at Box Hill :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    I'd love nothing more then to go riding off into the Surrey Hills (oh er!) but losing the wife + 5 is difficult! Even if I suggest, oh say, taking the family to RP she just says "What so you can go off for a ride?"

You poor fecker!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Maybe I could start closer to home, I'm sure the kids would have great fun at Box Hill :-D

maybe take them for long weekend nr the start of a sportive say or just your own route say?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have been having much fun downloading routes onto the edge. Now I just need to ride them! I'll be taking it to oz...

did you bike sorted for down under? from the place you gave it looked lumpyish on google maps? for some fun riding.
  • lost_in_thought

did you bike sorted for down under? from the place you gave it looked lumpyish on google maps? for some fun riding.

It's southern tablelands so a bit hilly, yes! I have given up until I get there - my departure snuck up on me!
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Yeah, I've got a hill rep programmed into the Turbo, 500 metres at 7%, 1k flat, rinse and repeat.

Hate it!

When the good weather comes back I'll happily host a SE to SW hill rep last man (or woman) standing comp :twisted:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340

9 inches :wink:

It looks a really nice ride btw just having done 3/4 of it before but the add on is the Cat and Fiddle which ups the ante somewhat.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin

Steady on old chap :lol: , I'm just excited about the prospect of a decent ride in warmer weather than last weekend :shock: . Anyway it's your fault, that Evans ride inspired me to get back out into the Surrey Hills. You should come along one day (if you can lose the wife and nippers for the morning). You've got some great countryside on your doorstep and i'm riding solo these days - well until Tom and Will MTFU!

So this Everest thing you mention...

If you're really interest then there is an Everest bike ride/super ironman thingy, only Sherpas and very few complete nutters enter, yes I have considered it on more than one occasion each time my normally very nice wife has played the trump card :(
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Just out of interest did anyone spot the competition Evans was running on the Monster ride?
    Can't remember exactly which hill it was but it's the one used for the Catford CC, apparently if you beat the record time up there you win a £1,800 Pinnacle road bike!!!

Whilst it sounds good the record is something stupid like 1 min 48 seconds! If you get within a minute you enter a draw to win £500 Evans vouchers! The bit that gets me is the guy who set this record probably flogged himself silly to get the record, without needing to also ride/have ridden the rest of this sportive!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

Hate it!

Box Hill repeats!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Can't remember exactly which hill it was but it's the one used for the Catford CC, apparently if you beat the record time up there you win a £1,800 Pinnacle road bike!!!

Whilst it sounds good the record is something stupid like 1 min 48 seconds! If you get within a minute you enter a draw to win £500 Evans vouchers! The bit that gets me is the guy who set this record probably flogged himself silly to get the record, without needing to also ride/have ridden the rest of this sportive!

A recent winner:

bobrow_mountain_goat.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp

You poor fecker!

Jash - this is the reality of family life. :)

BJUK - I have sometimes met the family at the top of Box Hill after a ride around the Hills. Or, as Roger suggests, I stick to local sportives or ones near my family in so that they can babysit and give the good lady a rest.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I use the "i'll cycle there" line and as most of the family are now local within 30 miles its usually a good workout.

This Sunday dinner at the in-laws "i'll cycle there" :wink:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Thanks for the advice CJCP and RM, I am trying to keep my sportives as local as possible. HOTA would have been ideal but by the time I got it OK'd spaces had gone :-(
    Mind you having seen the pics of snow I think I got a lucky escape there!!
    I think I'll have to try the "I'll cycle there" routine next :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • linsen
    HOTA 2010 anyone?

:shock:
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    HOTA 2010 anyone?

You wont be happy until someone gets hurt :P
  • linsen
    Unfair!

Strangely it was one of the rides I have been on where no-one got hurt

We just all FELT like we might expire........
  • cjcp
    linsen wrote:
    HOTA 2010 anyone?

Paris-Roubaix is next year...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Did you not find the total lack of water at the first feed station annoying? and the lack of marshals or directions at key junctions? putting the first feed station at one of the highest points on the ride in those conditions.

:evil:
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:

OK, so we HAVE to do this. See if we can scalp the duck-bus while drinking beer! :lol::lol: