Yokels unite

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    not sure on time yet but clear to early is not a good idea, how about midday? that should give the sun a chance of warming up our bones
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Midday would suit me (if we can get out of Devon!)
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Mid day is good for me
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    edited January 2010
    Hello all,

ITB I will mail you as well, but myself, 'pigeon42' (Lizzie) and my mate Darren should be there on Sunday.

So that is:

itboffin
    attica
    JayD
    Dan B
    Lizzie
    Darren

Had a look at the carpark on google maps, it is small isn't it!
    Just wondering if at midday on a Sunday whether there is likely to be some other cars in there already, and there might only be 2 or 3 car parking spaces available.

Anyone know anywhere else to park potentially?

Looking forward to meeting lots of you on Sunday and trying to put forum names to faces!
    *Disclaimer - my memory for names is terrible, so please forgive me if I ask you several times.. :oops:

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    edited January 2010
    Personally I was thinking of riding there :shock: the old railway line runs from my village, through Marlborough all the way to Ogbourne.

The forecast is for more snow but temp slightly above freezing :D phew!

itboffin
    Attica
    JayD
    Dan B
    Lizzie
    Darren
    Fireblade96
    OSK
    Liv ?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Personally I was thinking of riding there :shock: the old railway line runs from my village, through Marlborough all the way to Ogbourne.

I'll be cycling across too from Marlborough, let me know what time you're setting off and I'll tie in.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

I'll be cycling across too from Marlborough, let me know what time you're setting off and I'll tie in.

Will do, so apart from the obv. 50th Co2 canisters and inner tubes, hip flask and spare clothes, lights, gps, etc. is there anything else I/we should bring?

First aid kit?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Yup, I'm still in, and 1200 seems like an eminently sensible starting time.

I may well train it to Swindon rather than drive and risk not being able to find convenient parking. Also means I don't have to dig the car out of my driveway :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    Yup, I'm still in, and 1200 seems like an eminently sensible starting time.

I may well train it to Swindon rather than drive and risk not being able to find convenient parking. Also means I don't have to dig the car out of my driveway :lol:

:lol:

Yep +1 one on the digging
  • daniel_b
    I would like to cycle it, but fear we will be shattered if we cycle over from Newbury to meet you lot.

I will go off to mapmyride to figure out how long a ride it will be.

Hmmm, it's somewhere in the region of 20 miles, perhaps not then.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    edited January 2010
    Daniel B wrote:
    I would like to cycle it, but fear we will be shattered if we cycle over from Newbury to meet you lot.

Dan

Mmmm bikehike says the start is 18 miles from my house.....! need a new plan I think

Hang on a moment, that's taking the roads surely off road is much more direct? only problem is the hills, up hill is fine but downhill on snow & ice :shock:

Best I find that shovel, time to dig the car out.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Dan

If you get the train to Bedwyn it's only a couple of miles to Marlborough I can meet you on my way to Marlborough, no fear of getting to tired i'll be going SLOW really slow. :lol:

A nice thought ITB, however public transport will destroy any useful and helpful suggestions such as these.

I can either get in to Bedwyn at 10.31 or 12.25

Why do I not use trains more in this country......?

Driving it is then, I work with a chap who lives in Marlborough, so will ask if he has any suggestions of where to park if the car park is full.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    A quick check of the map shows a trail parking spot right off the A346, enough room for six cars I should imagine, failing that there's the petrol station next door and the pub car park, should be plenty.
  • Fireblade96
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

If you get the train to Bedwyn it's only a couple of miles to Marlborough I can meet you on my way to Marlborough, no fear of getting to tired i'll be going SLOW really slow. :lol:

A nice thought ITB, however public transport will destroy any useful and helpful suggestions such as these.

I can either get in to Bedwyn at 10.31 or 12.25

Why do I not use trains more in this country......?

Cheers

Dan

Also, be aware that the Bedwyn train is often replaced with a bus at weekends - I've made that mistake before and had to ride home from Bedwyn AFTER doing the Ridgeway !
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    Okay now I know we're already agreed on Chiseldon BUT seems we have a number of people coming from South & East by public transport, therefore can I suggest a new meeting place?

Perhaps Marlborough?
  • itboffin wrote:

itboffin
    Attica
    JayD
    Dan B
    Lizzie
    Darren
    Fireblade96
    OSK
    Liv ?

I'm sorry, I can't do this sunday or the one after...

EDIT: If you meant me, that is!
  • Fireblade96
    itboffin wrote:
    Okay now I know we're already agreed on Chiseldon BUT seems we have a number of people coming from South & East by public transport, therefore can I suggest a new meeting place?

Perhaps Marlborough?

Public Transport doesn't do Marlborough !
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

itboffin
    Attica
    JayD
    Dan B
    Lizzie
    Darren
    Fireblade96
    OSK
    Liv ?

I'm sorry, I can't do this sunday or the one after...

EDIT: If you meant me, that is!

It's all about you, isn't it... :P

No I meant the other one.... what!? there's two of them, good job don_don not around he'd have a heart attack.

Don_don looks twins :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Perhaps Marlborough?

There's a bus transfer :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Perhaps Marlborough?

There's a bus transfer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If it was one of these buses that would be a possibility!

bus-with-bikerack.jpg

But this is not the country we live in.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Looking dodgy for me now. Car is still stuck up an ice covered slope under 6" of snow. It hasn't thawed one bit in the last 3 days.
    I will be there if I can, but don't wait. If you see a red S reg Alfa skidding about and looking lost - that will be me!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • mrdp
    mrdp Posts: 8
    As there appears to be a strong south west contingent on this forum anyone fancy buying an SWorks mtb, XT/SRAM 18". Very good condition. Buyer collects/inspects in Exeter. £1500. Sadly house rules state(not made by me) that to buy new bike have to sell one.
  • daniel_b
    mrdp wrote:
    Sadly house rules state(not made by me) that to buy new bike have to sell one.

You need to be changing them there house rules dude :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Jay dubbleU
    The car park is small but rarely used - TBH I've parked in there a few times and there has never been anyone in it. The pub is closed so should be plenty of parking there. If anyone wants a lift from Swindon station PM me
  • I'm in.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    itboffin
    Attica
    JayD
    Dan B
    Lizzie
    Darren
    Fireblade96
    OSK
    The Running Man
    Liv ?
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    Liv ?

Is that Liv Tyler?
    Is she coming along?

You do have some contacts ITB :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Right then, those starting out from Marlborough may I suggest we meet here and ride in convoy to Chiseldon along the sustrain route 45 old railway line (no traffic) i'll be popping out that way shortly, for a quick look see :wink:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30119

Edit: forget that idea, just rode most of the railway line, i'm exhausted :(

I will be driving to the start point tomorrow :oops:
  • itboffin
    You can't really see it on this pic but that sign says Bristol 65 miles

3889f544dcfe4c61addc811b6d359379.jpg
  • Jay dubbleU
    itboffin wrote:
    Right then, those starting out from Marlborough may I suggest we meet here and ride in convoy to Chiseldon along the sustrain route 45 old railway line (no traffic) i'll be popping out that way shortly, for a quick look see :wink:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=30119

Edit: forget that idea, just rode most of the railway line, i'm exhausted :(

I will be driving to the start point tomorrow :oops:

Hmm I did think that was a bit ambitious - for the same reason I'm driving to Chiseldon although Route 45 goes through Swindon what are conditions like ?