Yokels unite

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sledge, no. Snowboard, yes...

Forecast is for 40cm :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Just started snowing here in shoreditch *runs to get changed*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Sledge, no. Snowboard, yes...

my mate was off doing that over new year took a bit of digging the car out...
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Snowing quite enthusiastically here too....and I've got the winter tyres back on the MTB so I'm ready.
    I've also bought enough food to see me through the expected inability of any deliveries to get to shops. Making a big pot of Irish Stew right now, mmmmmm....

Then off snowboarding tomorrow morning I guess 8)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ridgeway it is then - what time and where ?

Bear in mind that most roads leading to the Ridgeway are narrow hilly and not likely to be gritted - approach may be an issue
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    Are you guys planning to do it this weekend, or do you have another weekend in mind?

Any idea what kind of length of ride is anticipated?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Fireblade96
    I'm going to the Boat Show on Saturday, but can do Sunday.

Might be easiest to tackle a section of the Ridgeway that we can get (near) to by train. For me, the easiest is to get a train to Streatley and start there, but I can be persuaded to venture further if anyone has any good ideas..... next obvious station is Didcot or then Swindon
    Misguided Idealist
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:
    Just started snowing here in shoreditch *runs to get changed*
    *only to find the PF had been avisiting*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    It's possible to get up onto the Ridgeway from Swindon on the main road which will be gritted - I can get another bike onto the carrier if necessary
  • itboffin
    I was thinking Sunday would be best, I very much doubt many people will be getting to work this week or next, what a terrible terrible shame :D

I know the car park at Barbury Castle is large paved and has a early/late cafe for emergency snaks :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    I was thinking Sunday would be best, I very much doubt many people will be getting to work this week or next, what a terrible terrible shame :D

I know the car park at Barbury Castle is large paved and has a early/late cafe for emergency snaks :lol:

As someone who'd like to come, I have to disagree. If this weather holds- as is forecast, minor roads will still be dodgy, and I'd be dependent on the trains (oh dear...). And conditions out there are absolutely treacherous, I gave up and walked home (took me nearly an hour instead of ten minutes by bike, grr).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Jay dubbleU
    Think the approaches to Barbury might be dodgy - most of those roads are exposed and don't get gritted. I think the cafe is closed in the winter. I was thinking of starting at Chiseldon - main road up from M4 to Marlboroughwill be gritted and there is a small car park just south of the village off the main road. I can provide transport for 1 plus bike from the railway station if required.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 43645&z=15

We could ride from here to White Horse Hill and back which I think is about 20k depending on conditions
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm a Bristol boy, therefore sophisticated and debonair and handsome.

I live in Bucks, however, and only rarely go home, and am always shocked at how much the city I love has changed (mostly for the better).

Talking to family and occasional doses of watching my beloved footie team play are all that keeps me in touch.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • itboffin
    Think the approaches to Barbury might be dodgy - most of those roads are exposed and don't get gritted. I think the cafe is closed in the winter. I was thinking of starting at Chiseldon - main road up from M4 to Marlboroughwill be gritted and there is a small car park just south of the village off the main road. I can provide transport for 1 plus bike from the railway station if required.

We could ride from here to White Horse Hill and back which I think is about 20k depending on conditions

Nothing to do with being right next door to a pub, eh!? I see you game and I like your style :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    itboffin wrote:

Nothing to do with being right next door to a pub, eh!? I see you game and I like your style :wink:

Never crossed my mind,gov :wink:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I am encumbered with the little people and will therefore be unable to make it. Also, I think someone is planning to steal my bike and whilst running alongside would doubtless help get rid of the post-Christmas (or in my case, post 2009) bulges, my doctor has forbidden it.

I hope you enjoy freezing your extremities off, you nutters
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    I am encumbered with the little people and will therefore be unable to make it. Also, I think someone is planning to steal my bike and whilst running alongside would doubtless help get rid of the post-Christmas (or in my case, post 2009) bulges, my doctor has forbidden it.

But you're my snow buddy :(
  • Fireblade96
    Those of you who, like me, had entered the Chieveley Sportive, will be pleased to learn that Evans have cancelled the event and will be refunding our entry fees - mmm beer money for the Snow Ride :-)

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/chieveley-berkshire-january-9th-10th-2010
    Misguided Idealist
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    itboffin wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Well, if you will plan these things without consulting me first.....

:roll:

:wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    Those of you who, like me, had entered the Chieveley Sportive, will be pleased to learn that Evans have cancelled the event and will be refunding our entry fees - mmm beer money for the Snow Ride :-)

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/chieveley-berkshire-january-9th-10th-2010

I had an email from them this morning confirming my loan booking of a Trek Madone 5.2 :lol:

Not crashing my bike in the ice, anyway it's CF so they could glue it back together :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Ok Saturday or Sunday then - think it will be the MTB rather than the CX - Sunday weather looks marginally better
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

Changed my avatar so you don't feel so alone :)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Being stuck between those two is scaring my avatar
  • itboffin
    Can we have numbers please

itboffin
    attica
    JayD
  • Jay dubbleU
    Just got my email from Evans re cancellation - ITB I regret that the point on the map which is next to the pub was not the proposed starting place but the Google Map default point - also the pub is closed - the starting point I had in mind is on the Ridgeway at the side of the main Marlborough road
  • Fireblade96
    itboffin wrote:
    Can we have numbers please

itboffin
    attica
    JayD

Me !
    Misguided Idealist
  • I'm in the Wilt this weekend but not sure on plans, if free I'll definitely come and join :-)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Been trying to get a location map to work but Google seems to be having some kind of fit so instructions for meeting place

If you're coming down the M4 turn off at junction 15 and follow the A346 south through Chiseldon - up the hill, past the garage on the right next junction is The Ridgeway - turn right and then immediately left into small car park - there is enough room for half a dozen cars.

If you need a lift from the station PM me and I'll arrange times etc - only room for one extra bike on the rack so first come etc...

Starting time ??
  • What time is the planned kick off??

If it's not too early I may be able to ride over and meet you.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    If it isn't too early, I might be able to come from Devon with a buddy. What time is kick-off?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!