Yokels unite

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh yes - next door in fact - why do you have a plan in mind ?

Why yes I do :D

I know of 8 peeps in the area, I feel a plan coming on - A team style :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    CX bikes on the Ridgeway ? 8)
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I might be up for that. Would have to take the rack and mudguards off the Croix though.
    BTW I am based in East Devon (to reply to original thread).
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • +1 for Wiltshire by the way ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • +1 for Wiltshire (at the weekend anyway :-))
  • I have friends down in Salisbury who I need to visit, so could well be up for a ride / trip in that general area, but if it's off road, I'd need to be loaned a bike as only have road bikes.... What's your cunning plan, ITB?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    How many of my fellow yokels live in Wilts/Hants/Berks or striking distance of the ridgeway?

I've only just washed yesterday's Ridgeway Mud off the MTB. It must have some magic anti-freeze constituent, yesterday's ride was meant to be along hard-packed frosty tracks not through a clinging bog !

So, what's the plan Mr. Boffin ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    I was thinking a little gathering of yokels n associated friends for a gentle CX or MTB ride across the frozen tundra that is the Ridgeway, followed by good food and perhaps a sweet sherry, wot wot!

The Ridgeway in the summer, note this picture does NOT show the HUGE deep ruts caused by numerous off road vehicles :twisted:
    800px-Ridgeway.jpg

I also discovered that disc brakes don't always stop you in time, fence however do :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'd be up for that... I am aware that I'm not in the right area, but I have nothing to do, so I'll come on down!

I also have several MTBs at my disposal...
  • Hmm : I might be persuaded to bring out the tri-cross (and stabilisers)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    I'd be up for that... I am aware that I'm not in the right area, but I have nothing to do, so I'll come on down!

I also have several MTBs at my disposal...

Cool
  • Heh, I could put the nobblies back on the cannon and join you :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Jay dubbleU
    Definately up for it - sounds fun
  • Fireblade96
    After completing the bridlepath part of the Ridgeway for the first time, my knee gave in just beyond Marlborough and I had to take refuge in a pub until I could be rescued, rather than getting the train home as originally planned.

The pub staff were very kind, and supplied me with a bag of ice for my knee as well as several pints of anaesthetic :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Sounds interesting, I think the Cadenza should be fine for that...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    StuAff wrote:

Er I doubt that very much unless it has some wicked hidden suspension, when I posted that pic I was being ironic, it looks nothing like that nice gravel path, well at least the section i've ridden.

Anyone have "real" pictures?

Sand, rocks, ruts, always water !!! I guess that's now ice :D

ridg61v.jpg

Sometimes just grass

ridg73v.jpg
  • Wiltshire byway repaired with chalk to allow landies to drive on it + water + bike = complete nightmare to remove and nearly seized bottom bracket :-(

Maybe I should have spotted the ironic clue on the OS Map
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=41 ... &A=Y&Z=115

Excellent trails out there though, I had a week of exploring the bridleways, lots of scope.
  • Fireblade96
    ITBoffin wrote:
    Anyone have "real" pictures?

Mud:
    4244594129_fdd3309984_b.jpg

Mist (and a white horse):
    4245369766_4e9d39f5f6_m.jpg

When're we goiing :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • It sounds very entertaining. I haven't ridden off-road since I was about 14. Apart from some dirt roads in oz, but they're a different story...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

Er I doubt that very much unless it has some wicked hidden suspension, when I posted that pic I was being ironic, it looks nothing like that nice gravel path, well at least the section i've ridden.

Nope, no suspension. It's not that bad off-road, honest, even though it is a hybrid (I did a not-terribly-pleasant chalk path on it back in August- hairy but manageable) but it's on road tyres, mudguards would need to come off....offers of loaner MTB/CXs, or a pair of knobblies, welcome of course! It does sound like fun........
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    I was planning on doing the Evans ride-it on the 10th but I'm guessing that the weather is. Going to put paid to any serious road riding for a while, so I'm good for pretty much any weekend from now until feb.

I'm no expert on the ridgeway trails but strangley I do know ALL the local pubs ;)
  • Fireblade96
    itboffin wrote:
    I was planning on doing the Evans ride-it on the 10th but I'm guessing that the weather is. Going to put paid to any serious road riding for a while, so I'm good for pretty much any weekend from now until feb.

I'm no expert on the ridgeway trails but strangley I do know ALL the local pubs ;)

Aha ! I too was signed up for the Chieveley Ride-it this weekend, and was despairing as to what tyres to use or even whether to take the MTB. Unless a big thaw happens I reckon MTBing might be wiser, and the Evans bash was just a tenner anyway.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    I'm doing the MTB route at Cheveley on Saturday but I'm OK after that - can offer lifts into the wilds (and possibly back) if people can get to Swindon station
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    Do I get the prize for furthest west (on the British mainland)? I am in West Cornwall and sat nav gives my longitude as W 005°10.941', or thereabouts :wink:
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    I may be up for this as I'm not too far away from the south end of The Ridgeway (26 miles).

I can't do this weekend but can do the 16-17 and 30-31 in Jan. Can also do most days during the week too as I am a man of leisure, but realise others are slaves to industry.

This will give me the chance to get my CX proper dirty - not riden it off-road yet :oops:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

I'm signed up for Chieveley too, don't have an MTB but a certain person has offered to lend me hers so I'm in for whatever this weekend has to offer.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm signed up for Chieveley too, don't have an MTB but a certain person has offered to lend me hers so I'm in for whatever this weekend has to offer.

Might see you there - I'm aiming for a 9.30 start time but I'm doing the short route - just as well I think in view of the weather - look for the black Voodoo
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ah - crossed wires. I'm down for the Sunday at Chieveley on a road bike should there be a miraculous thaw. The MTB is only for for the Ridgeway expedition.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    It's snowing like a M***F*** - Ridgeway it is, anyone got a sledge? :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sledge, no. Snowboard, yes...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides