Yokels unite

Comments

• I'm currently off the bike following a knee operation and so have been lurking on and off.

Bristol resident (Bedminster) for the last 5 years (following a short experiment with country living in Crewkerne, I'm not ready for full yokelhood yet..). Love Bristol compared to SW London, where I spent most of my life, although I was born in Australia and raised in Norfolk and N. London for a while, and lived in East Africa for a bit...hmm I may have an unusual take on things.

Commute from Bemmie to Aztec West - A38 most days with occasional forays out via the Downs, Blaise, the other side of the M5.. when time allows...

I would be all for some Bristol based SCR drinks. As I won't be back on the bike for a couple of months yet don't feel I have the strongest shout on where we should meet. But as I ride within about 20m of Mud Dock on my normal commute and have only a short stumble home from there that would be my first choice.

BTW - Attica, was it you that warned my LBS to look out for the gimp on crutches? Got rather freaked out to be welcomed as BB when I hobbled in....still buying a new SS from them though...
    A Lemond (FCN 4)
    An ageing Klein (FCN 9)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    BTW - Attica, was it you that warned my LBS to look out for the gimp on crutches? Got rather freaked out to be welcomed as BB when I hobbled in....still buying a new SS from them though...

Ha ha, yes. hands up, that was me. I got a blow by blow account from Mike, apparently your face was a picture :)

Looks like a nice bike you're getting too.

Mud Dock is an absolutely great suggestion, anybody free this Friday?

One small problem, how will we identify ourselves amongst lots of other cyclists at MD?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

Ha ha, yes. hands up, that was me. I got a blow by blow account from Mike, apparently your face was a picture :)

Looks like a nice bike you're getting too.

Mud Dock is an absolutely great suggestion, anybody free this Friday?

One small problem, how will we identify ourselves amongst lots of other cyclists at MD?

Ah well, Mike was very gentle...As for Friday - could be tricky for me, I'd need to be home by 7 - next Friday would be better, but i won't be on a bike either way...

A Lemond (FCN 4)
    An ageing Klein (FCN 9)
  • attica
    Let's go for Friday week (7/11) as a warm up/recce for a larger Christmas get together.

Who's in?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    1. Bristolian - first Easton (nice) then St. George (marginally better)

2. Hate people referring to my home town as "Brizzle"

3. Now live elsewhere and have no plans to return

4. Bristol City, if anyone's interested

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • attica
    SecretSam wrote:

Apologies SS, of course it should be referred to as Bristle, as in "The Krek Waiters Peak Bristle" (c) Derek Robinson
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • secretsam
    Attica wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Apologies SS, of course it should be referred to as Bristle, as in "The Krek Waiters Peak Bristle" (c) Derek Robinson

... :lol: Can you believe I've got all those books? They remind me of home and how God's own people speak!

Don't forget when approximating the Bristolian accent, randomly throw in the word "mind" at the end of any sentence, eg "That Park Street, it's a total bu99er to climb, mind".

Now that I have kids, I've started using Bristolian phraseology, eg "Where to did I put that allen key?"

If I could go back...it wouldn't be the same...sigh :(

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Don't forget to end anything that finishes with an "a" with an "l"

For example "Asda" becomes "Asdal"

If you ever want to scare yourself, shop in the Bedminster branch of Asdal.
    Many many chromosome errors in that place...
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I've been living in the popular Chessels area of Bedminster and have only been in that Asdal once... "Chromosome errors" is possibly the most appropriate 2 words I've seen used to describe that place. I'll be up for a cheeky pint in Mud Dock - like Bemmiebiker, it's on my way home as well and there's some nice wide pavements to cycle home if I have one too many... :wink::wink:
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I live in Torquay and work in Newton Abbot, although we have representatives from 5 generations of the family living in the area :D the family originally came from the "north east". At some point in the 1800's the family moved down here from Bridport... :lol: where the family tree is a little difficult to track down - documents tend to be signed with x "the mark of so and so - farm labourer"

I actually have reason to suspect that was just the latest leg in a general south west crawl by the family from somewhere scandinavian originally, the family name seems to come from a swedish word I think... The amount of time my family spends in Cornwall and my sister having moved over there, it can only be so long before our slow southwest migration takes us across the pond :D
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

I believe that branch is known as spazda.
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • Born and raised in Plymouth me 'andsome . . . . living and working in yorshire land now.
    I'd give my right arm to go back though :(
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Born and raised in Plymouth me 'andsome . . . . living and working in yorshire land now.

hang on you want to GO BACK to Plymouth?!! :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Surf-Matt wrote:

I think you have misstyped that it should be
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    If you ever want to scare yourself, shop in any branch of Asdal.

The above quote was butchered using the following sample size

Asda Bedminster (by proxy)
    Asda Dundee Milton of Craigie
    Asda Duneed Kirkton
    Asda Beckton, London
    An accurate sample could not be taken at Asda Kirkcaldy due to difficulty determining what is Normal For Fife
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Surf-Matt wrote:

....hence the current name of Bristol itself, according to a number of books I've read on UK place-name origins; the city originally had (approximately; I think it was actually "Bridgestowe" or something like that) the same name as a certain darts-playing "crafty Cockney".

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • secretsam
    Surf-Matt wrote:

....hence the current name of Bristol itself, according to a number of books I've read on UK place-name origins; the city originally had (approximately; I think it was actually "Bridgestowe" or something like that) the same name as a certain darts-playing "crafty Cockney".

David

According to Wikipedia:

The town of Brycgstow (Old English, "the place at the bridge")

And it's more of a cross between an "L" and a "W", as in "I'm gonna take my kids (who are also my cousins/uncles/grandparents) down to Asda-wll"

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Nan was a Bemmie girls but has lost her accent though in the past when her sister came to visit when I was at my Nan's I was a bit confused by some of the 'foreign lingo' she spoke in but the cake she baked was gert lush.

http://www.beast-clothing.com/
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Good God!

Distracted from the forum for a few weeks by the pressures of work and it all goes 'West-Country-tastic'. I'd be well up for a pint, though attendance could be curtailed at the last minute by work/kids etc. Would help if it was early-ish (e.g. straight after work) on Friday. Muddock sounds good.

On the original question. I grew up in Devon but now live in Bristol. Never knew there were so many peopl e in all the world when I saw it for the first time. First time I'd ever seen a working escalator too. I spent all day riding up and down it, scarely able to be believe my eyes. 30 years of age at the time...
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

David

According to Wikipedia:

The town of Brycgstow (Old English, "the place at the bridge")

And it's more of a cross between an "L" and a "W", as in "I'm gonna take my kids (who are also my cousins/uncles/grandparents) down to Asda-wll"
    And the Welsh name, uncorrupted by flagrant "L"s, is Bryste. (B'rust-eh)
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Didn't someone mention drink a while back? (I may be wrong - as a yokel I can't read or royt of course. But I can drive a tractor).
    Unfortunately 7/11 coincides with the mighty PTA firework display down the rec in the village; I promised eldest 'un I'd take 'im - so that's out.

Oh, and I can't drive a tractor either...

But Mud Dock sounds good - as long as it doesn't involve (waiting for) food. Only place I've ever threatened to walk out of.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    Amazing fact - Edinburgh is further west than Bristol. No cider though.
  • NGale wrote:
    Born and raised in Plymouth me 'andsome . . . . living and working in yorshire land now.

hang on you want to GO BACK to Plymouth?!! :shock: :shock:

Well ok . . I wouldn't go back for Plymouth itself - but I miss having the sea and the moors less than half an hour away (and pasties . . . . . and a healthy attitude to clotted cream as a condiment :lol: )
  • psutton
    psutton Posts: 206
    Devon born and bred me - from Tinmuff. Now an adoptive Brummie - but cycling back to Tinmuff later this week as it happens!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mmm the 7/11 is not good for me either it clashes with my annual attempt to blow myself and immediate family to pieces - i'm getting pretty good, last year I managed to land a half exploded rocket in the back of a land rover full of fireworks 8)

And this Friday i'm going to an outdoor pool Halloween "POOL" party :shock:

Just remember fellow yokel's we need pictures and all the juicy regional SCR gossip posted right here...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    We will NOT tolerate breakaway threads on the yokel subject, this site already consumes far more of my life than is healthy or NORMAL, now keep it together people :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12592846
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Well done ITB - was just thinking the commuting forum was becoming a bit London-centric again :D

My ride home tonight was somewhat slower today owing to my lovely ayups' battery dying on me - was worried I'd cycle into a cow on the way home

(ps - was not being irresponsible and riding unlit, just had to rely on my 2 lesser frontlights instead of flood-lighting my way over the common!)
    FCN 10
  • itboffin
    Now this sounds like fun http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/rollapaluza-roller-racing-in-bristol-new-years-eve-19568 Rollapaluza on our doorstep, trouble is New Years Eve i'm usually shall we say "FCUK" up!!!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I will be working.....feck!
  • 'ow be on!! I be in Midsomer Norton, proper job, commute to Bath, what's the latest on drinkies then? I am partial to a scrumpy or 10 :wink:
  • attica
    £40per head, that's a touch pricey considering you're not guaranteed a race.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"