Yokels unite

Comments

• matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    risi

1989 is about the time I started riding bike altogether :shock:

Attica

Its pretty horrible all the way from the George to the cross roads.

Matt
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I'm the "Westcountriest" so far...

Did a spell in Bristol - liked it for a while then as the my cars got better, the thieving got worse and it eventually got on my nerves.

It's nice having this view from your bedroom window (we overlook a river. Nearest house - 150 yards away - can't see a single house from anywhere in the houses' plot...)

Garden.jpg

And it's great fun blasting down this bit on an MTB...

View-1.jpg
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    I'm an East Devon boy born and bred and it's another glorious day in the shire... Couldn't imagine living anywhere else :D
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • Keynsham originally, now in Clifton.

Going to work in St Philips is good but coming home is a mare, bloody Park Street !
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    itboffin wrote:
    don_don wrote:
    I guess Cheltenham counts as the West Country?

And my wife is from Devon.

oops...

If by wife your referring to the woman you have locked in the basement, now you know that doesn't count, just kidding, tee hee :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    But I don't have a basement...

Oh, and nice garden Surf-Matt! :)
  • We need a translate function on this thread - or at least a glossary.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Newton Abbot massive reporting in. Used to live in Exeter but moved down here as it is only 2 miles and a climb to work. Originally from Nottigham via Huddersfield, Lincoln, London and now Exeter. Looking to move to either London or New Zealand next.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Surf-Matt
    Hmm - slight difference between NZ (spent three months there) and London (spent a year there)!!!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was born in Berkeley while the family was living in Dursley, so can I claim association with the Yokels?

Basically we've just ended up moving a LONG way up the A38 now :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i'm currently in chippenham and work in bath. the wife is a bristolian and we lived there (well, sadly broke, the shame of it) for a couple of years. originally i'm from suffolk so this area is far too hilly for me!

i seem to recall an outreach programme of the SCR pub meet was proposed one time many moons ago. anyone prepared to make good on beer arrangements in the west? i'm good for a brew in baff most of the week and could do a bristol run if the pub was right...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Brizzle born and bred. Cotham, Shirehampton, Avonmouth now back in the centre of town avoiding Attica as he rides in from the sticks. It's like the tour de commute outside my door when I try and cross the road of a morning for the paper, of the cyclists I see there is a guaranteed 10% who are colour blind and don't know what the posts with three lights at the top are for.
    Keynsham originally, now in Clifton.

Going to work in St Philips is good but coming home is a mare, bloody Park Street !
    No matter what alternative route I think of you got to suffer altitude sickness climbing up to Clifton unless you go via Temple Meads.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    redvee wrote:
    in the centre of town avoiding Attica as he rides in from the sticks.

Where exactly do you live RV? I saw your commute video and realised that it starts from near where I work, Portland Square which is gradually getting reclaimed from the druggies and the ladies of dubious virtue.

As for Ris' drinks idea(l) I'm in.

BTW where is Sea Green Incorruptible/Dunston Checks In? He'm a Brizzle lad too.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    We need a translate function on this thread - or at least a glossary.

I tried Babelfish, but even that gave up. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    Attica wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    in the centre of town avoiding Attica as he rides in from the sticks.

Where exactly do you live RV?

Without giving too much info out online, between the lights at the end of Jamaica St and City Rd.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Brizzle really should be the capital of the world...

Bought up in Worcestershire...lived in Cambridge, London, Milan, Naples, Tel Aviv, Point Pleasant (New Jersey), Shaldon (Devon), Bath and finally Brizzle - not bad for 33 years old.

Now live on Golden hill near the common....there most mornings at 6am with a small collie pup.

Finally got here, The long way round....
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Okay now we've established that there are a lot of us in the West, who's up for a regional version of the Morpeth Arm's Friday drinks?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Good idea, but there's going to be a lot of travelling involved. Brizzle/Bath seems to be in about the centre of the area(l) we're talking about.

Somewhere perhaps near the junction of the M4 & M5 perhaps, or maybe near to Temple Meads? I'd suggest the Reckless engineer, but there's absolutely no cycle parking nearby. Suggestions folks
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Attica wrote:
    Suggestions folks

Stonehenge1_lg.jpg

You can follow your ley lines there and get off your head on mushrooms and mead.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The Old Bowl at Almondsbury?

http://www.theoldbowlinn.co.uk/

Close enough for some of us here in god's country to make too.
  • Surf-Matt
    All this Bristol talk is bringing back memories!

In our 8 years there we lived:

In Baltic Wharf (by the Cottage pub)
    On St Pauls Road, Clifton (near the Uni)
    Clifton Village (Waterloo Street)
    Redland

A year in London Docklands

Back to Clifton (Cornwallis Crescent)
    Then right on (well next to) the River Avon nr Pill (on a farm).

Are you all looking for a bike friendly pub?

George Inn in Abbots Leigh was always good for bikers, does nice food and good beer.
    Handy for Ashton Court, Leight Woods, M5, etc.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... bots_Leigh
  • redvee
    Whats wrong with Wetherspoons in Temple Quay? Cheap beer and food and less packed once the office types go home once they get drunk on two pints plus there are railings/bikeracks outside for our steeds to hang around and talk about us whilst we get merry though beware of leaving a carrier bag over your saddle in case of rain, I had one nicked there :shock:
  • Surf-Matt
    Temple Quay is a very good place to get your bike nicked and Wetherspoon's in particular is full of pikeys... :wink::lol:
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    if it is to be the bristol waterfront then i'm a watershed or arnolfini fan myself. bit chilly to be outside these days though! been welcome in watershed with a folder plenty of times.

there is a nice place up the bath road from temple meads called boca bar, not very near the centre though but not far off the sustrans. there is pretty much nothing of interest in pubs near parkway station or the m4/m5 - bradley stoke housing for miles on end :x

bath is a funny place for drinking, but there are some places with plenty of outside space for sitting with bikes. pig and fiddle and pulteney arms both have a bit of beer gaden seating and are close to the station / sustrans.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I'd be up for a meet near Temple Meads :) I'll probably need to jump on a train, unless I take a day off, ride down and stay in the YHA for the night.

Now there's an idea :D
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    What about down here in Devon? Exeter has some decent pubs, just at the end of the M5 on the railway line, the Wetherspoons just a stagger away from said railway line and some semi decent cycling can be had in the area.
    Also I'm too scared to go to Bristol in case I have an accident because you can't be guaranteed to an ambulance any time before Christmas :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • symo
    Damn I just moved to NA from Newton, we could have taken over the place in the quay with the mahoosif pizza's
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Could still take over the Waterfront...also within easy staggering/wobbling distance from my home as well :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • symo
    I've just realised what I typed. What I meant to say was I just moved from Exeter to Newton Abbot.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Arnolfini sounds good - Anywhere central'ish is fine with me. Punch Bowl would be great as I work on Aztec!
  • Surf-Matt
    Wouldn't Mud Dock be a better idea - seeing as it's a bar/restaurant and bike shop all in one place - bike racks aplenty too. :D