Morpeth Social Club

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @CP & JG when the barmaid asked if we'd like another drink she was actually offering us free drinks, doh!

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There were free drinks after I left? Dagnamit...

Nice to meet the 4 of you on Friday, I'll try and make the next one, this time with a bike lock, although by then the carbon beastie will have been promoted above commuting duties :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    @CP & JG when the barmaid asked if we'd like another drink she was actually offering us free drinks, doh!

:lol:

really??

damn
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I turned up on Friday, at about 8ish I suppose. I thought yuo'd all be sitting outside so I would be able to sit next to my bike. I was on the carbon Focus Cayo and didn't have a lock and in any case don't like to leave the Focus chained up on its own so I just went off home....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Free beer? May not have been a good idea at that time of the evening.

MM, thanks for the loan of the lock!

HH, we were still there till quite late but, yeah, we'd moved inside before 8... was a bit chilly once the sun had gone behind the buildings
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    np! cheers for the sossies.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    I do too, but I've picked up a tube cold. Bloomin' tube.

The Innis & Gunn taste trial concluded that the best of the 6 I tried was the triple matured blue box, and the worst was the canadian whisky barrel red box.

The second best was the IPA, followed by the rum barrel, followed by the normal oak aged. The blonde was just OK.

For some reason I'd assumed you were talking about whisky not beer :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    mmmmmmmmmm mid week blues :cry: Is anyone about for a few sherberts tomorrow?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Sorry Rich, have a works leaving bash on tomorrow...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Can't make it, playing football in Regent's Park.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Brun - you have a lot to pay for now... Just look at what you've caused!

http://kiltmakers.co.uk/categories/scottish-gifts_macmeerkats?
  • Citizen Smith
    Citizen Smith Posts: 336
    Anyone up for an early doors sherbet? I have to get across to The Rake (great bar at Borough market) for some beers with mates but could do something swift between 5-7pm?
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • MonkeyMonster
    Right ladies and gents... Anyone up for a Friday foot of ale? Wanda are we going to see you in the morpeth this year?

IP you back in on le boik yet?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    MM, I will be seen at the Morpeth when I no longer need full fingered gloves for the bike and/or a fan heater in the office. That should be June or July :lol:

Seriously, half marathon on Sunday morning so 'tapering' the running and alcohol intake even for a lightweight like myself :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I should be down on Friday if that doesn't put everyone off........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Can't make Friday :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Stevo_666
    I could drop by for a swift beer or 2....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'd like to say yes, but I suspect I'll be up in Essex.
  • rolf_f
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Can't make Friday :lol:

Pfft! People will have to turn up or I'll have to spend all evening telling the bar staff about my new bike which will cause all cyclists to be banned from the Morpeth!

I'll aim to be down before 6ish. Hopefully indulging in my first bit of London cycling as I'll be bringing the Raleigh down!

@ LiT - oh do be fun!
    @ Stevo - yayy!
  • Stevo_666
    Should be able to get there for 6.15 Rolf. If you're first see if you can blag a table outside unless it's brass monkeys (I've heard a vicious rumour that LiT forces all the soft lads to stand outside in snowstorms/rain/howling gales but she won't be there so we can be wusses if we want to :D )
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Should be able to get there for 6.15 Rolf. If you're first see if you can blag a table outside unless it's brass monkeys (I've heard a vicious rumour that LiT forces all the soft lads to stand outside in snowstorms/rain/howling gales but she won't be there so we can be wusses if we want to :D )

Naaah, that's not true. Last time I was over she was cowering inside with the rest of us and it wasn't even sleeting outside.

Anyone know a good route from the Morpeth to Croydon - might as well go there to pick up the last train to Haywards as back to Victoria.....
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyone know a good route from the Morpeth to Croydon - might as well go there to pick up the last train to Haywards as back to Victoria.....
    Dead easy - over Vauxhall Bridge, past the Oval and take second main turning right onto the A23 which takes you all the way to Croydon.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It's alright, I can't make this friday! :lol:

And you were lucky Rolf, I got there late that time.
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf, work has gone a bit crazy today so not sure I will be there by 6.15 - will still drop by unless something else goes wrong...
  • Stevo_666
    Still at work :cry: Sorry, will have to bail on this one. Did anyone else go?
  • rolf_f
    I did go and ended up having a chat with a non Bikeradar cyclist! Stopped for a pint and a half and cycled over to East Croydon for the train to Haywards Heath.

I do feel sorry for the London commuters. I can't say London cycling is much fun though it is good clipless practice. The drivers are crap, too many of the cyclists are crap, there are too many traffic lights, the pace is too slow, there are no hills (don't anyone try to tell me there are hills on the A23 to Croydon - those are just flatness discontinuities!), the air is dirty and, outside the City and Westminster, it is all just plain ugly! :lol:

Was an experience though........
  • itboffin
    Im just on the way home from my friday night drinkies.

The breakfast stella isnt going down as smoothly as id hoped :(
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rolf F wrote:
    I did go and ended up having a chat with a non Bikeradar cyclist! Stopped for a pint and a half and cycled over to East Croydon for the train to Haywards Heath.

I do feel sorry for the London commuters. I can't say London cycling is much fun though it is good clipless practice. The drivers are crap, too many of the cyclists are crap, there are too many traffic lights, the pace is too slow, there are no hills (don't anyone try to tell me there are hills on the A23 to Croydon - those are just flatness discontinuities!), the air is dirty and, outside the City and Westminster, it is all just plain ugly! :lol:

Was an experience though........

depends on london, my urban commute is lovely really.

I ride though quiet back street though Bushy Park, so deer etc, a short stretch along a high street though one of the quieter ones, I wiggle to Crane Park and then on to work.

all really easy going, yes there are no hills but it's a nice commute even so.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Rolf F wrote:
    I
    I do feel sorry for the London commuters. I can't say London cycling is much fun though it is good clipless practice. The drivers are crap, too many of the cyclists are crap, there are too many traffic lights, the pace is too slow, there are no hills (don't anyone try to tell me there are hills on the A23 to Croydon - those are just flatness discontinuities!)

I enjoy my commute (Camberwell to Ladbroke Grove). It's not a route I'd pick for leisure cycling, but I find it wakes me up nicely for work.

You will find plenty of crap cyclists outside of London; it's just that you encounter them in a greater concentration here than elsewhere. But then the same goes for children's entertainers, librarians and serial killers; the population density means you're never far away from one of them.
  • MonkeyMonster
    Apologies - we had a leaving and find out more about what the feck is going on with the company drinks thing.