Morpeth Social Club

Comments

• Route is pretty sorted, though any advice on a Richmond to Liverpool Street commute welcome, decision is whether to stay north of the river and deal with Parliament square, or swing south at Millbank and then come over the river. We've done the route several times at the weekend, decided that was a good time to have a go at it as a commute (plus I'm off work and back in Londonville)

She has Cycle to Work scheme at work (sadly I don't :-( ) and is eyeing up nice road bikes on her lunch breaks (I get texted photos of bikes from her and come home to find she has been bike clothes shopping :-))

Will just be for a cheeky few, then we're off for some post first commute celebratory grub :-)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Route is pretty sorted, though any advice on a Richmond to Liverpool Street commute welcome, decision is whether to stay north of the river and deal with Parliament square, or swing south at Millbank and then come over the river. We've done the route several times at the weekend, decided that was a good time to have a go at it as a commute (plus I'm off work and back in Londonville)

She has Cycle to Work scheme at work (sadly I don't :-( ) and is eyeing up nice road bikes on her lunch breaks (I get texted photos of bikes from her and come home to find she has been bike clothes shopping :-))

Will just be for a cheeky few, then we're off for some post first commute celebratory grub :-)

Embankment all the way. I'm convinced that the wider, busier roads are safer - there's more room and the drivers will be used to cyclists. My GF commutes from Willdesden to Tower Hills via Kilburn, Edgeware, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner and Embankment. She's only be going a few months and has never so much as driven in London - she's been absolutely fine, and as the route is simple she can concentrate on traffic and not worry about where the next turn is.

Good luck and chapeau to your missus.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have the day off. Probably will sink myself in Fallout 3 on the X-box.

:shock:

Surely you meant to say ...

I have the day off, I'm going to ride my lovely carbon bike until my legs feel like they're going to drop off :wink:

Carbon's for life not just for Christmas - FACT

+1 It's summertime dude, get out on the bike!

Very summery RIGHT NOW :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • How long have you had the bike now DDD? I've been away from the forum for too long if you're already neglecting it :shock:

I have to say, its good to see the normal RLJing debates, a few new trolls, circular arguments and of course a few new faces on the board.

I reckon Embankment is the way forward, I've been drumming in the joys of Cyclecraft into her for the past few months (Snooks, I'll get that book back to you eventually :oops:) and its been heartening, no almost emotional :lol: , to see her take primary and be more confident on the road and not being intimidated and hugging the kerb.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Route is pretty sorted, though any advice on a Richmond to Liverpool Street commute welcome, decision is whether to stay north of the river and deal with Parliament square, or swing south at Millbank and then come over the river. We've done the route several times at the weekend, decided that was a good time to have a go at it as a commute (plus I'm off work and back in Londonville)

Embankment all the way. I'm convinced that the wider, busier roads are safer - there's more room and the drivers will be used to cyclists. My GF commutes from Willdesden to Tower Hills via Kilburn, Edgeware, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner and Embankment. She's only be going a few months and has never so much as driven in London - she's been absolutely fine, and as the route is simple she can concentrate on traffic and not worry about where the next turn is.

Good luck and chapeau to your missus.

Yup. Embankment.

OSK - I come in from Kingston and head through the Park, to Putney on the LRR, over Putney Bridge, along the NKR, then onto Embankment. You could duck out just before B'friards tunnel and head through to Cannon Street and up to Liverpool St or head left before Cannon Street.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    So who's up for a quickie ...?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    PM weadmire.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:

Oh god not another one, first Roastie and now you :shock: :shock: :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I go along HSK then into hyde park and along to corner. Through the gate onto Mall and then swing round to Parliament sq and onto the wind tunnel for some scalping - popup at blackfriars and up to clerkenwell and then zigzag. My brother goes further along embankment when heading to bricklane area. I've seen a far higher % of better cycling on embankment than anywhere else in London - glad my brother persuaded me to go that way. Used to go up via parklane and out onto oxford street... then the roadworks hit big time.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    I'm thinking of changing my route to include this tunnel you all keep on talking about :D

We could set up a good lead out and sprint for the finish!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    itboffin wrote:

Are you talking about tonight....[strokes chin]

Just where abouts in the east are you heading for??? [/strokes chin]
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    snooks wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Are you talking about tonight....[strokes chin]

Just where abouts in the east are you heading for??? [/strokes chin]

I'm back in the west, your safe, for now.......... :evil:
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I was thinking beer, way out east...ho hum
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • itboffin
    dum de dum

Oh! is it Friday :roll:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    is there any interest in a few beers tonight?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Interest expressed - coming from Swindon, so if the M4 is bad I may not be able to make it.
  • itboffin
    Roastie wrote:
    Interest expressed - coming from Swindon, so if the M4 is bad I may not be able to make it.

On a bike now that's nails :wink:
  • _Brun_
    I'll be spinning and skidding my way down there for about 7.
  • itboffin
    Yup about then 4 me

Just a quick 1 :roll:
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    is there any interest in a few beers tonight?

Yarp. Believe there are a few takers.
  • Clever Pun
    Awesome, the missus is away, I can't get into to too much trouble (from her anyways)

anyone got a lock?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Forget the lock does anyone have any brake outer cabling? no really I had to perform emergency cable replacement this afternoon.
  • _Brun_
    Clever Pun wrote:
    anyone got a lock?
    Only got a Krypto mini but it'll do for locking em together.
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Awesome, the missus is away, I can't get into to too much trouble (from her anyways)

anyone got a lock?

cable and dlock here.

Timings people?
  • Folks, will have to bow out of this one. Minor mechanical stopped play on today's first commute with Mrs OSK (my fault :( ) but geared up for next time. Its been interesting cruising the forum again, the wit of Greg T is as sharp as ever :-)
  • Clever Pun
    I'll be there 6.30ish I reckon, just after il Princy and itboozer
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'll be there 6.30ish I reckon, just after il Princy and itboozer

i'm heading towards my happy place an i ain't talking about the Morpeth hick!

Free beer! yeeh
  • Clever Pun
    YES in your face Biondino :lol:

Wasn't worried at all
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Clever Pun wrote:

Wasn't worried at all

Haha! How almost right was I? Knowing you were crapping yourself for the best part of an hour is reward enough :)

(me and CP had a bet that the Chelsea-Hull game would finish 1-1)
  • _Brun_
    Clever Pun wrote:

Wasn't worried at all
    I can't believe he was mere minutes away from fleecing you for fifteen quid. The five pound you've taken off him must feel like meagre consolation after today's result.