Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited October 2023
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    edited October 2023
    Admit it, you only bought the first one cos it's green. 🤣
    That Lifeline one looks remarkably similar to my broken BBE one.

Thanks though. I may go for the first one as it is calibrated, 1/4", and I already have all the bits.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629

New frame incoming - "iridescent plum"
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    pblakeney said:

Thanks though. I may go for the first one as it is calibrated, 1/4", and I already have all the bits.

Sadly the green one is not the one I bought, mine is the 2nd black and silver one :-(
    mrb123 said:

That looks mighty fine.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It looks like that old-fangled metal stuff. Keep away from water ;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    pblakeney said:

Sealey = shyte. (and believe me, I have used Sealey angle grinders, tools, torque wrenches etc etc).

I recommend a Teng tools. TR such as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232396144265?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=232396144265&targetid=1817264051475&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045225&poi=9045226&campaignid=19697487289&mkgroupid=146342272739&rlsatarget=aud-1164958979220:pla-1817264051475&abcId=9307892&merchantid=7258114&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqP2pBhDMARIsAJQ0Czp4up2HjvZNrLLH0IiM70mcKg-6-0hiZwrDELEK_eURPp0H89hvYwMaAm4jEALw_wcB

You do know that Torque wrenches are also susceptible to temperature changes?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    mrb123 said:

Link please.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,348
    pinno said:

mrb123 said:

Link please.
    https://fairlightcycles.com/product/strael3-frameset-deposit/

Looks great, I almost bought one of these.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    Ta.

What's the alure? Yes, I know the reviews are good but you would have to ride one to really know.

• pinno
    mrb123 said:

That iridescent plum cost you an extra £100 I see.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Not the thread for it but would be curious to know about the appeal for that kind of frame.

Surely you can get better performing lighter stuff for the same price in a different material?

I say this as someone with a steel frame; i bought it mainly as it was cheap, I figured it could handle being abused on the London commute and no-one would want to steal it (pun not intended).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Sealey = shyte. (and believe me, I have used Sealey angle grinders, tools, torque wrenches etc etc).

I recommend a Teng tools. TR such as this:

You do know that Torque wrenches are also susceptible to temperature changes?
    Thanks but that price is too high for peace of mind as I manage quite fine without.
    All repairs and maintenance are done indoors so temperature is fairly constant.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    edited October 2023

Not the thread for it but would be curious to know about the appeal for that kind of frame.

Surely you can get better performing lighter stuff for the same price in a different material?

I say this as someone with a steel frame; i bought it mainly as it was cheap, I figured it could handle being abused on the London commute and no-one would want to steal it (pun not intended).

Just fancied a change really. I already have a carbon rim braked bike for summer so this will be my new bad weather/winter bike. Set up will be Ultegra with some carbon Farsports/DT Swiss wheels and PDW guards.

The bike it is replacing is carbon so I'll be taking a hit on the weight, but the geometry of this is much closer to my summer bike. Reviews and owner feedback seem universally positive so hoping for great things.

Yes Pinno, extra dollars for the plum colour but well worth it in my humble opinion!
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    I personally think extra cash for a colour you really like is well worth it.
    I'd value that at way more than £100 personally.

Groupset/wheels are easy to change, and are likely to need changing at some point anyway, but the colour is very expensive/impactful to change and keep the quality, presuming you don't have the time/skill to do it yourself.

Removing the groupset, painting the frame, and refitting the groupset.
    And the time you end up not having a working bike.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    mrb123 said:

Just fancied a change really. I already have a carbon rim braked bike for summer so this will be my new bad weather/winter bike. Set up will be Ultegra with some carbon Farsports/DT Swiss wheels and PDW guards.

The bike it is replacing is carbon so I'll be taking a hit on the weight, but the geometry of this is much closer to my summer bike. Reviews and owner feedback seem universally positive so hoping for great things.

Yes Pinno, extra dollars for the plum colour but well worth it in my humble opinion!
    Fair enough really.
  • pinno
    I couldn't imagine anything better than my Colnago.
    Except when I am in a strong headwind :smiley:
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    edited October 2023
    I bought mine a while ago when Fairlight were on the up and it was considerably cheaper, £800 instead £1400 for the frame and forks. Though mine is the v2 rather than v3 (not sure of the difference). I find it quite hard to find frame and forks from the major brands, most only sell the top end as frames and they're normally ~£4k plus.

My motivation for buying was the good reviews and the fact I'd given up racing so didn't need light or aero. I also wanted something with a more classic look that wouldn't be outdated within a year or two (one could argue that's because a steel bike is already outdated). The other motivation was buying a second hand Croix De Fer which is an amazing bike and still my favourite to ride. It's heavy but it just has something about it.

Oh, and I quite liked the idea of a best bike that could take a rack and mudguard.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    My order above was from CRC, some cleats & a torque wrench.

I spotted Wiggle have a few 3T carbon bars, one of which CRC do not have listed for some reason.

I really love the, what I call, egg shaped bars, where the top is not just cylindrical, and had them on two of my bikes previously also bought with huge reductions, via CRC
    iirc.

These are £315 down to £79.99, I went through TCB but highly doubt I will get the alleged 5% in reality.

I went for 40cm, as I know they are C2C measurements, and that works well for my shoulder width.

They are gravel bars, hence the huge 70s flairs, my only concern is that currently on the standard bar on my gravel bike that is also a commuter, I have two fairly large Ravemen light mounts on there (either side of the stem) that give me proper lighting for pitch black commutes, and I'm not sure if there is enough real estate on the normal shaped area of the 3T ones for them both to fit, if they don't I may have to send the bars back.

I can try them with some spare brackets I have when they arrive, hopefully I can tell - I also have a bell on there currently, but I'd be happy to see what go by the wayside.
    I don't really want to add one of those extender bars that I could then mount the lights on if I can help it.

Not looking to get them fitted imminently, will wait until I change the groupset I think, what with the hydraulics routing as they do.

They have a variety of others 3T bars in road styles as well as an aero gravel one, if that is not an oxymoron - I did look at that one, but I doubt it will be as comfy and I think there is no chance there is room for light mounts.
    https://wiggle.com/search?query=3t+handlebars
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,382
    mrb123 said:

Agreed, that looks stunning. I'd rather like one of those myself.
  • daniel_b
    Order from CRC arrived on Tuesday, carbon bars arrived yesterday.

Not yet opened to check for haribo though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2023
    So the Addict is now with me. Yahoo! Apologies for the slightly weird handlebar angle, the rear mech not being in the smallest sprocket and, especially, the wheel reflectors being still on. I do have an excuse, as I rode it home straight from the shop.

edit: @daniel_b , is there an easy way to mount a Garmin in the stem? Or will I have to get Scott's own mount? The stem's quite chunky, and cable routing not being 100% internal means the mount that came with the garmin sort of rubs the cables.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    edited November 2023
    Looks great, mudguards too! Perfect

Which model is this?
  • drhaggis

Looks great, mudguards too! Perfect

Which model is this?

Thanks! It's an Addict 20 (12-speed 105 Di2), in, ahem... "blue". The paint is actually some sort of iridescent green, with slight purple hues. Quite nice, as a matter of fact!

TBH, the ability to mount "normal" mudguards is one of the reasons I went for it. Quite helpful here in Edinburgh.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2023
    For my Addict RC I fitted the fully integrated
    drhaggis said:

edit: @daniel_b , is there an easy way to mount a Garmin in the stem? Or will I have to get Scott's own mount? The stem's quite chunky, and cable routing not being 100% internal means the mount that came with the garmin sort of rubs the cables.

Congratulations!!

For my Addict RC I had fitted the fully integrated bars and stem so ended up going with a Raceware 3d printed jobby that looks great.

On my Gravel 30, as I wanted space for a light either side and a bell, I went for one of these from Amazon for circa £16:

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HMHJG73

Went for that colour as I thought it went well with my green with a purple flip bike, but suspect from your description it would also go with your new steed.

Will your stem allow that though, or is it one where the bolts are not facing outwards horizontally?

**Hadn't fitted a Garmin mount like that previously, but have had zero issues with it, or the bars, and have since fitted them to both my daughters and partners bikes**

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    daniel_b said:

Will your stem allow that though, or is it one where the bolts are not facing outwards horizontally?

**Hadn't fitted a Garmin mount like that previously, but have had zero issues with it, or the bars, and have since fitted them to both my daughters and partners bikes**

Looks interesting! I definitely need a light for commuting back home. Mine is a reasonably standard stem (Syncros RR 2.0), with the final spacer being hollow for the cables, and with straight screws as far as I can tell.

It's not too big of an issue, though, because I've just noticed Scott sent the bike with a 120 mm stem rather than the specified 103... So I'll be getting a new stem soon (93 mm in all likelihood).
  • pinno
    10.3 cms!? What an odd length.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    pinno said:

10.3 cms!? What an odd length.

Near enough 4 inches innit
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    fnarr fnarr
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    bought about 4-5 cateye Ammp 500s recently as currently working away and tend to forget to bring them back with me after my weekends home ideal for my short commutes
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b said:

My order above was from CRC, some cleats & a torque wrench.

I spotted Wiggle have a few 3T carbon bars, one of which CRC do not have listed for some reason.

I really love the, what I call, egg shaped bars, where the top is not just cylindrical, and had them on two of my bikes previously also bought with huge reductions, via CRC
    iirc.

These are £315 down to £79.99, I went through TCB but highly doubt I will get the alleged 5% in reality.

I went for 40cm, as I know they are C2C measurements, and that works well for my shoulder width.

They are gravel bars, hence the huge 70s flairs, my only concern is that currently on the standard bar on my gravel bike that is also a commuter, I have two fairly large Ravemen light mounts on there (either side of the stem) that give me proper lighting for pitch black commutes, and I'm not sure if there is enough real estate on the normal shaped area of the 3T ones for them both to fit, if they don't I may have to send the bars back.

These turned up superfast, and this weekend I managed to extract them from the enormous box, unwrap both protective layers (Good to see them really well packed) and show them up the bike.

Width wise they looked just marginally narrower, which was a positive, but regrettably the cyclindrical area either side of where the stem clamps was very small, combined with the routing cables for the internal cabling meant there was no way I could fit my Ravemen lights on there, or probably any light to be fair.
    I can fit one central light under the garmin mount of course, but as some of my commutes are in that there unlit countryside, it is pitch black, so just one light (for me at any rate) does not cut it, so had to send them back.

Gutted, as they are wonderfully light, beautifully shaped bars, and if only the cylindrical bit was extended probably 2cm either side of the central section, they would have worked.

Tried the returns process last night, and was met with an 'error' at the final step, which made me wonder if they had suspended all returns, but tried again this morning and it was up and running - took out a wiggle membership thing last January as ordered a few items back then, and knew I would have some returns, so was able to utilise that for a 'free' return, which was handy.
    I'll update as to whether the return goes through smoothly.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18