Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621

The Sportful jacket went back. Nicely made bit of kit but the sizing didn't quite work for me. Was a bit baggy in the XL size and pretty sure sleeves would have been too short in a smaller size. If the fit works for you then definitely a decent alternative to an Alpha ROS/Doppio.

Fiandre bibs are great though and an absolute steal for the price they had them for.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,378

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the original Alpha jacket and the current 'Ros 2' incarnations? How does it compare to the Espresso?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594

Not in intricate detail, but owning both, I'd have to say the Alpha Ros 2 is easily as warm as the Espresso 3.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

To add, I would have had the original Alpha, but the one I bought had been worn, and had (what I hope) was gel spillage on it 🤢

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited February 26

So sent it on Saturday, and it was turned around and delivered all fitted on the Friday which is pretty impressive.

All looks neat and tidy, and no discernible damage or scratches to the brand new crank which is good.

They had to remove the wrap the chap who wrapped my bike and the parts had used unfortunately, and I've now found out he has ceased trading, so I'll have to have a crack at rewrapping it myself 😕

I know it's not a must, but as it's on the very best bike, I feel I should protect it where I can.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743

What do you mean, wrap?

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 400

It’s a sort of clingfilm sort of stuff😉you put on your frame to protect it.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,319

Got a perfetto ros 2 jacket from wiggle for £52. Hope it lives up to the hype.

The various combinations of perfetto / ros / gabba etc are a bit hard to work out.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno

Indeed.

I got the 'Everything must go... up to 80% off' Wiggle sale email.

Not a lot of useful sizes left in clothing. Fancied a pair of Assos bib shorts but only s and x/s in stock.

• pangolin

Their size and colour option sorting interface is dreadful. Amazed that page is still in business.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey

Gotcha.

• pinno
  • Webboo2

What are you implying about Daniel b, are you saying he might be doing Tom D or a Greg Lemond.

• daniel_b
    edited February 28

Bargain of the year for sure, as long as the fit is good of course - heard a lot about Castelli abandoning their previous fit template, which could of course work for or against you.

Regarding the clear wrap, I've had my new at the time Gravel bike wrapped, as I thought it's duties would be pretty hard going, and modern paint is not the best in terms of durability sadly :-(

I was very pleased with the job he did on that, even though it was a tricky bike to wrap, and it was in matte finish as well, which looks really good.

He used to scan the frame somehow, and then had a machine that cut the wrap with incredible precision, so from a distance (Unlike that there sofa) and even close up it is pretty much impossible to see.

One of his customers took his wrapped bike to his LBS, and they asked him if he was going to get it wrapped :-)

The road bike is gloss, aside from the top tube, but we have converted it to gloss with gloss wrap throughout, and it looks far better imho, and I have the piece of mind that my latest baby is protected to some degree, especially as I plan on never selling it, and will probably lumber my daughter with it at some point in the future.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621

@pinno

Have a look at House of Fraser - they have a fair bit of Assos stuff on sale, currently with an extra 20% off.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/searchresults?descriptionfilter=Assos

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337

I tried last night and gave up, filtered to in stock only had a couple of items saying they had stock that weren't in stock when adding to my basket. Found a few things where they had a price range, yet every size and colour combination was only at the higher price. Gave up in the end.

• pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • daniel_b

You know HOF is an ashley (sports direct) company?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
  • pangolin

It is slightly baggier than I would like which is a shame. Not enough to return it but would have preferred maybe an inch less fabric around the torso. Arms are a tiny bit wide too. Can't complain for the price though!

It is over 200g lighter and packs down smaller than my old gore windstopper jacket that it's replacing, so a definite improvement.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • daniel_b
    edited March 1

I have a tailfin rack for my carbon gravel bike which is awesome, but also brutally expensive.

Myself and my partner are doing a very brief (one night away) credit card night away thing later this year with our cycling club, and although I do have a good rack I could fit to my partners bike, I decided to get one of these Ortlieb quick racks, that she can use either on her current bike, or on the new gravel bike should we choose to buy it AND get it in time:

This wouldn't have worked on mine, as it has no mounts, but her current bike, and the new one do have them, and into these you screw in little pegs, almost like bmx stunt pegs, and then it just clips on.

£82 from Tredz, less their £5 off code, plus should get a £2 TCB bonus, and I think it was 5% though them too, so should make it something like £72 which I think is pretty reasonable.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

Shimano 105 7000 11-32 cassette to go on the soon arriving Wahoo kickr something or other (The cheap one) turbo.

£33 (Way better than anyone else) from Merlin, less TCB, and added a pair of Celeste blue socks on for my daughter to get free delivery.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Danyradar
    Danyradar Posts: 11

I got myself a portable digital tire inflator from Liltsdrae. It can be used for car tires, but still small enough to carry on my bike.

• rick_chasey

Yeah managed to pick up a 105 cassette for my Ultegra 6700 (10 speed) for £35. Ultegra for the same range was going for £65.

• pinno

Though the welcome 15% discount code wasn't available on this item 😪 from Saddleback, I bought a 'Mid season pro Sportful jersey' for a very decent £44 plus postage.

• Webboo2

We got a 70cm Frog road bike with 26” wheels 18 speed for £250. It came with spare tyres and inner tubes. It looks like it’s never been ridden.

• daniel_b
    edited April 9

Most kids get the small road bikes and don't get on with them to be fair, which is probably why the one you have got is in the condition it is!

Hopefully who you are buying it for will get loads of use out of it.

Over £500 new iirc.

We struggled to sell our Road 59 I think it was, and that's been the only kids bike I lost a small amount of money on, all the others have resulted in a minor profit of sorts.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Webboo2

£750 for the ten speed new according to Frog site, however this 18 speed. We will be selling a 67 shortly which we bought for the grandson last summer.

I ride with someone who being quite small has bought frames that junior riders have out grown yet hardly ridden. He’s currently got a Colnago that he got for a third of the new price.