Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,479
    edited October 2023
    daniel_b said:

85 notes for a perfetto jacket is a monster deal.

3% tcb lops a couple off.

Two of the very best garments I own, incredibly capable and comfy.

Well I hope so.
    It was the 'infinium' fabric that sold it :smiley:
    Although I presume as that was the AW21, it has been superseded by the AW22 so last years stock I guess.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Using a c2w voucher, a Scott Addict 20 "blue"... but not really, more like this (I assume)

plus mudguards & a 40cm handlebar
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    drhaggis said:

Using a c2w voucher, a Scott Addict 20 "blue"... but not really, more like this (I assume)

Quality! That's the Addict and not the Addict RC I believe?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    Having forecast what my mortgage payment may well be come 2025 when my 1.49% fix runs out, I may not be buying anything ever again

:|
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,929
    daniel_b said:

Having forecast what my mortgage payment may well be come 2025 when my 1.49% fix runs out, I may not be buying anything ever again

:|

Safe to say you've done your bit to keep the economy afloat. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drhaggis
    daniel_b said:

drhaggis said:

Standard Addict, yes, with 105 Di2. I'm too old and (presumably) inflexible for the RC... plus it's well beyond my £3k limit. Anyway, the standard Addict takes mudguards, which will come useful here in Scotland more often than I'd like to admit, and certainly October to March.

I'm intrigued by the paintjob, and on online videos it seems much nicer than whatever pics Scott puts on their website. As always. Aren't they paying a PG to get the nicest pics of their products? However, my first choice would have been the glittering blue on the RC 40, which IMHO looks amazing. I guess money does get you something...
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    drhaggis said:

daniel_b said:

drhaggis said:

Standard Addict, yes, with 105 Di2. I'm too old and (presumably) inflexible for the RC... plus it's well beyond my £3k limit. Anyway, the standard Addict takes mudguards, which will come useful here in Scotland more often than I'd like to admit, and certainly October to March.

I'm intrigued by the paintjob, and on online videos it seems much nicer than whatever pics Scott puts on their website. As always. Aren't they paying a PG to get the nicest pics of their products? However, my first choice would have been the glittering blue on the RC 40, which IMHO looks amazing. I guess money does get you something...
    Very nice, I'm a massive Scott fanboi, though my signature is out of date, I have 4 now :D
    It still has fully integrated cables eh, I suspect the geometry is not that much different to the RC and I'm sure it will be a great ride - look forward to reviews.
    I have a Gravel 30, and I'm pretty sure you need the Syncros 'fenders' which I ordered with mine as part of my C2W voucher.
    They rattle a little bit, over rough terrain, but on the whole are pretty impressive.
    Coverage is NOT that good though, well it's fine for you and the bike, but not so much for people following for you.
    I keep meaning to have a look at riveting or finding some way to fit an extender on for the rear especially.

Just noticed this place has them on offer for £25 off (Yes they are a bit pricy to start with):
    https://runandride.co.uk/accessories/mudguards/syncros-road-endurance-700c-fender-set--black__25402?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=2883430001850&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgKSToOPugQMVbjbUAR0-UA1jEAQYASABEgJaZPD_BwE

Nice to see some more Scott's out on the roads, pretty rare brand round these parts, only seen one or two in recent years.

Regarding the pics, they seem to have a knack of not really showing the bike in it's true colours, pun intended.

I bought my green Gravel 30, only to find it had a purple flip in it, which luckily I really liked, having waited 10 months for it as well, but had I hated it, I guess I would have been stuck with it.

Agreed on the RC40, that is a rather impressive paintjob - though for me it HAD to be the 2021 (Or 2020 would have done) RC30 in black, and would you adam and eve it, yellow ;-)
    They also did an incredible green/purple flip RC30, Prism purple I think it was called, which was kind of the opposite of my Gravel 30, stunning paintjob, sadly no longer available.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,961
    edited October 2023
    Not strictly just bought but when I broke my shoulder in February I tore up my 8 year old Rosa Corsa Castelli bib tights and received the rapha Classico bib tights as a present replacement.

Today was the first day I wore them.

Think they’re pretty good tbh. They’re a better length on me (not as long - I am xs generally) and they fit marginally better - the very minor wrinkles on the castellis are not there on the rapha tights.

I always get on with rapha pads and no different here. Very plush - very different to the castelli which is also comfortable but tries to pretend like it’s not there.

Good amount of give in the straps fabric etc - sits quite wide over the shoulders so no straps down your chest.

About as warm as the tights they replaced. No wind blocking, just fleeced.
    Would recommend.

Tiniest gripe is that the different panel seams protrude slightly so if you want full aero tights, maybe not these. (Like I am anything other than brick slow in winter anyway)
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Curiously I also broke my shoulder in February. Back biking, but my collar bone remains permanently out of position now.
  • pinno
    drhaggis said:

Can I comment on the saddle angle?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,349
    pinno said:

drhaggis said:

I think it's to help compensate for his floor angle
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

drhaggis said:

I think it's to help compensate for his floor angle
    That makes sense.
  • drhaggis
    edited October 2023
    pinno said:

drhaggis said:

You can definitely comment, as that is not my bike! It's a sample picture to highlight what Scott think is "blue".

Being puzzled, I got in touch with customer service, who replied that it was more aquamarine green, and that they didn't understand how their colleagues named it blule.

And more on topic, I've got Ultegra pedals as well as a pair of Elite Custom Race Plus bottles (Titanium-black) to go with the new bike. I'm unlikely to mesh with the saddle, so watch this space for either a Fizik Tempo Argos or a Spesh Power saddle.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have just bought a Castelli perfecto, I’ve never had one of these Gabba type tops before. What do people where underneath, just a base layer?
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

I have just bought a Castelli perfecto, I’ve never had one of these Gabba type tops before. What do people where underneath, just a base layer?

Depend on the person, but just base layer between 8C & 15C for me.
    Additional jerseys/thicker base layers if colder.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    webboo said:

Base layer here too, when under 11 C, and the type of base layer depended on the temperature. Below 6 degrees, I'd probaly don a gillet too. I would not use it at 3 degrees or below, unless it's for a short ride and it's sunny and not windy. But that's just me.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

It doesn't block the wind that well, so I would take windchill into the equation.

For example: Tuesday was cool, slightly windy 7 deg c. Wore the Castelli Perfetto with a vest and base layer and I needed another layer. Wednesday, (10 deg c - less wind) and I wore the Espresso and I was a little cooked ('cos the Perfetto was in the wash :smiley: )
    I run cold.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023
    A clarification on my point above. My experience is from a L/S Gabba circa 10 years ago & a current S/S Gabba. They both block the wind in my experience. Never had a Perfecto.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,158
    pblakeney said:

A clarification on my point above. My experience is from a L/S Gabba circa 10 years ago & a current S/S Gabba. They both block the wind in my experience. Never had a Perfecto.

Depends on whether long or short sleeve. Long sleeve is the old Gabba long sleeve and the same material etc. Short sleeve is the Perfetto light which is a lighter less stretchy fabric (same as the outer layer on the Alpha).
    All should block wind well - they are made of Gore Infinium (formerly Windstopper).
  • webboo
    pinno said:

webboo said:

It doesn't block the wind that well, so I would take windchill into the equation.

For example: Tuesday was cool, slightly windy 7 deg c. Wore the Castelli Perfetto with a vest and base layer and I needed another layer. Wednesday, (10 deg c - less wind) and I wore the Espresso and I was a little cooked ('cos the Perfetto was in the wash :smiley: )
    I run cold.
    That’s another thing how often do you wash these things. My previous winter tops were Assos windblock and I would only wash them when they got covered in sh!t or got very wet.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    webboo said:

I'm assuming that's the Perfetto jacket?

They do lighter weight jerseys as well iirc.

I would say the Perfetto, or both the ones I own, are one of the most well designed and capable garments in my fairly extensive collection.
    As long as you get the right size, they fit well with pretty much no flapping, keep the wind at bay for sure, and a fair bit of rain, but somehow seem to keep you warm enough without overheating you should temperatures rise - although sometimes you need to open the front to let some air in.

I have a green one and a yellow one, and the latter has come back sometimes covered in censored from the road, usually from someone else's rear wheel, and yet somehow on a 30c wash with Halo sportswash, it comes out looking like new everytime - it could just be I am lucky, but I presume some of the muck must be oil, diesel, and general censored from the roads round here.

As to layering, pretty much what has been said above, if it's not that cold, then just a base layer, though they themselves vary in thickness from mesh to full on windstopper, and then from there just add a fairly thin jersey should you need it.

Like Dr H I wouldn't wear it in near 0 conditions (I did try once with layers, and for me it wasn't quite up to the job) but for that I have an equally excellent and capable Alpha Ros 2, which is thicker to start with and also has the built in gilet type affair.

Arguably it could see you down to 0 with suitable layering underneath and a gilet over the top I suppose.

With regards to washing - if it's been a dry and clean ride, and I don't feel it has gotten sweaty, then it can go back in the wardrobe, but if it's a bit mucky or sweaty it goes straight in the wash.
    I suspect if you wear it just with a base layer, it will get sweaty.
    Most kit I wash inside out, but if this has a lot of road censored on it, I'll wash it normal way out.

Enjoy, it's a fine piece of kit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,961
    daniel_b said:

I have a green one and a yellow one,.

Did you now?!
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

I have a green one and a yellow one,.

Did you now?!
    I realise this will be unexpected news :D

AND:

I think that flap over the bulk of the zip makes a fair bit of difference.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    Thanks for the advice.
    With regards wearing it when it’s down to 0 degrees. When it’s that cold I can’t get out of the village on my bike due to they don’t grit the roads near the house. I do have an Assos windblock top which has a hood and thin fleece layer that you zip up plus the matching bib tights. However when it’s cold enough that I need to wear this outfit, it’s too dangerous to ride🤣
  • pinno
    webboo said:

Thanks for the advice.
    With regards wearing it when it’s down to 0 degrees. When it’s that cold I can’t get out of the village on my bike due to they don’t grit the roads near the house. I do have an Assos windblock top which has a hood and thin fleece layer that you zip up plus the matching bib tights. However when it’s cold enough that I need to wear this outfit, it’s too dangerous to ride🤣

Yeah it's fine saying you can wear something near 0 degrees but it doesn't matter what you wear, you cannot heat the cold air you breathe.
    I got caught out one evening after riding on main (gritted) roads when the temp was -2 deg c and ended up with a hacking cough for 3 weeks.

I cannot say that the Infinium fabric in the Perfetto is that good at keeping the wind out but I do live in Scotland.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,404
    picked up a replacement 11speed own branded chain in Decathlon yesterday as I happened to be there. Has anyone any opinions on these? I saw some saying they're repackaged KMC!
  • drhaggis
    edited October 2023
    pinno said:

I cannot say that the Infinium fabric in the Perfetto is that good at keeping the wind out but I do live in Scotland.

I got a Stolen Goat Kiko last winter. While I don't wear it all that much (club kit), I can tell you that, although SG claim it's wind & water resistant, it blocks much less wind than a 2018 Perfetto/Gabba. It feels more breathable, yes, but typical winds around here means I need a windproof Gillet over the top if under 10 degrees.

It's an okay piece of kit, but I often think I should have gotten a non-club kit Perfetto instead in last year's Merlin sales.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,158
    Tashman said:

picked up a replacement 11speed own branded chain in Decathlon yesterday as I happened to be there. Has anyone any opinions on these? I saw some saying they're repackaged KMC!

The 10 speeds certainly are, they even have KMC stamped on them. They are repackaged X10-EL i.e not the base model either.
    However I no longer have a Decathlon nearby post closures and have noticed a significant jump in their prices post Brexit (and that definitely is due to Brexit as they are still really cheap in Italy).
    So instead have taken to getting YBN-D11s on Aliexpress, which look really rather similar to Chorus chains (YBN make chains for Campagnolo).
  • daniel_b
    Potentially my last purchase from Wiggle/CRC.

Lifeline Torque wrench set for £23 - have a two top notch Sealeys and a huge array of bits, but this seems just handy for little quick jobs.

Some lifeline keo cleats for stock that are the same as thee Assioma ones.

Feel a bit nostalgic, as CRC & Wiggle to a lesser extent, were my go to retailers when I first started out in road cycling back in 2007.

It will be even worse if ashley gets his mitts on them though, twisting the knife.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023
    Thanks for the reminder. Anyone mind a tangent? Does anyone have a recommendation for a torque wrench? My current one has packed in but I'm happy to go without.
    Veronese68 wrote: