Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited July 2023
    pinno said:

me-109 said:

Pedals. Time Xpresso 7s, and a few cleats for various shoes. Have used Time for a few years and then moved recently to Look, but the nose of the grip cleats seem to grip the pedal body instead of sliding in, making traffic starts a bit of a faff.

I've always thought that when I wear out my Carbon Keo's, I would make the swap to Time for that wider platform.
    I'll have to try and upload/link some photos. The Keo Blades have a slightly wider platform in terms of the contact plate (couple of mm) and also less cutaway front-to-back through the midsection. The Time 7s weigh in about 15g per pedal but haven't compared cleats. Both have an issue of being so light they don't always hang tail-down, but I am finding the Times much easier to get into.

I've just taken a punt on a sleeveless and a short sleeve DHB mesh baselayer recommended above. The Le Col ones i have are still pretty expensive and the Rab ones I also use don't appear to be sold any more.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    edited July 2023
    Where?
    me-109 said:

pinno said:

me-109 said:

Pedals. Time Xpresso 7s, and a few cleats for various shoes. Have used Time for a few years and then moved recently to Look, but the nose of the grip cleats seem to grip the pedal body instead of sliding in, making traffic starts a bit of a faff.

I've always thought that when I wear out my Carbon Keo's, I would make the swap to Time for that wider platform.
    I'll have to try and upload/link some photos. The Keo Blades have a slightly wider platform in terms of the contact plate (couple of mm) and also less cutaway front-to-back through the midsection. The Time 7s weigh in about 15g per pedal but haven't compared cleats. Both have an issue of being so light they don't always hang tail-down, but I am finding the Times much easier to get into.

I've just taken a punt on a sleeveless and a short sleeve DHB mesh baselayer recommended above. The Le Col ones i have are still pretty expensive and the Rab ones I also use don't appear to be sold any more.
    I've the le col and Dhb ones, as if they were made in the same factory. Got le col on sale via strava.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    DHB baselayers arrived today. Both a good fit, very lightweight. Certainly not the same as the Le Col ones I have which are much thicker. Tried the short sleeve one on the trainer tonight. Easily double the weight in sweat, but it was one of those nights. No distractions from rubbing, riding up or anything; very comfy in that regard. Oh, and got some short DHB socks too, which were rather nice and classic ankle sock length.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Bit of a random one perhaps - spotted this Ryden bike fitting tool, basically a way of easily measuring various distances and utilises your smart phone to give you specific angles etc.

Just under £60 delivered:

Checked out several reviews, including one from a bike fitter I know, and all looks pretty positive.
    As I have several bikes, thought it would be useful in taking measurements, and also a good one for hire bikes.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Upgraded my Di2 shifters from 6780 to R8150 as I got an NOS pair at a good price to allow the buttons on top, also got the bar end charger port and wireless dongle

Bike dropped in today to tidy up and hopefully remove some external cables.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463
    daniel_b said:

Bit of a random one perhaps - spotted this Ryden bike fitting tool, basically a way of easily measuring various distances and utilises your smart phone to give you specific angles etc.

Checked out several reviews, including one from a bike fitter I know, and all looks pretty positive.
    As I have several bikes, thought it would be useful in taking measurements, and also a good one for hire bikes.

Definitely useful for setting up different bikes. Good buy 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Definitely useful for setting up different bikes. Good buy 👍
    I've seen this and been tempted but currently waiting for a friend to 3D print up my own version, hopefully that works but if not i'll strongly consider buying.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2023
    I'll likely get hammered for import duty and admin fees on the below, now we are out of the EU, but there we go.

One each of these jerseys (Designed by PFP herself) for me and my daughter:

Black and green jersey for me and the gravel bike that I rather like the look of:

And least interestingly, some arm warmers:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    I've just bought an Exposure Strada. My partner is torn between being disdainful that I spent that much on a light Vs grateful I'm no longer talking lumen specs and runtimes.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    me-109 said:

DHB baselayers arrived today. Both a good fit, very lightweight. Certainly not the same as the Le Col ones I have which are much thicker. Tried the short sleeve one on the trainer tonight. Easily double the weight in sweat, but it was one of those nights. No distractions from rubbing, riding up or anything; very comfy in that regard. Oh, and got some short DHB socks too, which were rather nice and classic ankle sock length.

I've an orange sleeveless le col and 2 sleeveless dhb mesh ones. Very similar apart from the collar on le col. Maybe the newer stuff is different. Le col 50% off so not much in the price either
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    A rather big splurge in the Merlin sale.
    Ultegra hydro groupset, Deda bars and stem. Set of wheels and a seatpost.
    All for a forthcoming winter road build once I decide what frame to buy and sell on another bike.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    edited August 2023
    Rapha Long sleeve jersey:
    [Never owned Rapha and never thought I would see the day]

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-long-sleeve-core-jersey/product/COL03XXMBW

Quite well priced too given the Spatz equivalent (in sale) price) was £149 and Castelli's current range leaves you in a quandary:

Will M be too small, will L be too big and though I love the brand, the pad on the bibs and the Perfetto's but those rear pockets I find are awkward on all my Castelli tops.
    Just recently sold a pair of bibs in an M. Just could not get on with them. Pad was good but the cut was awful.
    Those Sportful fleece lined shorts are so good and have become my goto. Cheers PB.
    My Castelli Giro D'Italia's are such lovely shorts but they are wearing out I have used them so much and I doubt I will replace them with Castelli.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    edited August 2023
    pinno said:

I've only got the Core S/S version and bibs and I'd say they're pretty decent.
    I only buy when on offer at DHB prices though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2023
    My predominantly PFP delivery arrives (Via UPS and their distinctive rattly vans) tomorrow, and as expected have been hit with two sets of fees.

My 30% estimation still holds true though as a decent gauge, as the final extra amount including bonus fees equates to a smidge under 29%.

This on a 211 Euro order, so I would have thought around 200 would be bang on 30%, anything under would be a higher percentage still, and the more you spend, the smaller the percentage, as the 'brokerage' fee remains static.

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

I've only got the Core S/S version and bibs and I'd say they're pretty decent.
    I only buy when on offer at DHB prices though.
    I have one pair of Core bib shorts, and whilst they are ok, for me the pad is not as good as some of my LP, Castelli and Pro Team II shorts.
    Understandable I suppose you could say.

The shorts still get a fair bit of wear, for long turbo sessions, or the odd ride out on the road too.

I have a few Rapha jerseys, and really like those I must say, for me the fit and cut are spot on.
    I have a LS training jersey which is a staple either as a top layer or mid layer in the winter, and I have a couple of the far less forgiving aero jerseys, both short and long sleeves.
    I don't have any of the core jerseys, as I read a lot of reviews (I thought) that suggested the pockets were way too high up the back and difficult to get into - a lot of that may depend on the individuals proportions though I guess.

All of my kit has been bought in the sale, back in the day when they used to have mega sales, and a few pieces more recently when they had a decent sale either earlier this year, or late last year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,857
    edited September 2023
    Schwalbe Pro One Addix V-Guard 25mm "tube type" and a KMC X9 chain from Merlin (was about to lose "gold" loyalty, noticed it's now £30+ basket for free del).

First Schwalbe road tyre I've bought since buying my Cube ~6.5 years ago.

Still yet to finish setting up my VEL 50 RL wheels bought last autumn, now wondering whether to put this new 25mm on the front wheel or switch the moderately used 25mm GP5000 off my current front wheel.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    Following on from my light to mount under a garmin mount thread, based on the advice received, I have now ordered a Ravemen CR1000 (My 4th Ravemen front light) and 3 of their go pro mounts for bikes for the family.

£68 after cashback from the ever reliable Merlin - expect it will be shipped today, and out for delivery either tomorrow or Saturday.

Hopefully changing the lens orientation will be not too troublesome.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pinno
    That 'looks' pretty smart.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Just bought a set of Garmin Rally RS100 pedals. Hiring a bike in Calpe at the end of the month and seemed the easiest way to get power data. Just need some time now to find out how they stack up against my Quarq. suprised to find Garmin have madetheir own version of spd-sl cleats. different profile means they dont fit in my cleat jig. :(
  • daniel_b
    phil485 said:

Just bought a set of Garmin Rally RS100 pedals. Hiring a bike in Calpe at the end of the month and seemed the easiest way to get power data. Just need some time now to find out how they stack up against my Quarq. suprised to find Garmin have madetheir own version of spd-sl cleats. different profile means they dont fit in my cleat jig. :(

Didn't fancy Favero Assiomas?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • phil485
    spd-sl on all my shoes and bikes. didnt fancy one set that was different
  • daniel_b
    Will stock SPD-SL cleats not fit into the pedals then....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • phil485
    yes stock spd-sl fit the rally rs pedals. was just funny that Garmin saw fit to make something slightly different. Garmin cleats have 4.5 degrees float against the 6 of shimano yellow
  • pinno
    My Lidl track pump died a death. Not much to report for £9.99 but it still blew up the tyres.
    So I took the plunge and bought a half decent one from Wiggle. A Topeak Joe Blow Sport III Track Pump x1. Ticked the free option delivery and was expecting it Wednesday after ordering it late Friday. It arrived today.
    It's a pretty solid looking bit of kit and a handy dial to give you an arrow to aim for at a glance.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in my jersey pockets no matter how hard I try.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-track-pump
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

My Lidl track pump died a death. Not much to report for £9.99 but it still blew up the tyres.
    So I took the plunge and bought a half decent one from Wiggle. A Topeak Joe Blow Sport III Track Pump x1. Ticked the free option delivery and was expecting it Wednesday after ordering it late Friday. It arrived today.
    It's a pretty solid looking bit of kit and a handy dial to give you an arrow to aim for at a glance.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in my jersey pockets no matter how hard I try.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-track-pump

I’ve got the same, it fits down the front of your shorts. But how do we know the p.s.i/bar is accurate? 🤔
  • pinno
    edited October 2023
    seanoconn said:

I’ve got the same, it fits down the front of your shorts....

What a good odea.
    seanoconn said:

...But how do we know the p.s.i/bar is accurate?

We don't basically. We go by feel. You know; like a blind man in a brothel.

• seanoconn
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:
    Me or the jacket?

Pics for one is cheap, the other expensive :smiley:
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2023
    85 notes for a perfetto jacket is a monster deal.

3% tcb lops a couple off.

Two of the very best garments I own, incredibly capable and comfy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18