Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,348
    Could you stick a light on your helmet? Occasionally I find this more useful as it lights up what you're looking at rather than what your bike is pointing at.

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ravemen-helmet-ahm01-bracket-p11410/s22438

Too late now mind.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited November 2023
    pangolin said:

Could you stick a light on your helmet? Occasionally I find this more useful as it lights up what you're looking at rather than what your bike is pointing at.

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/ravemen-helmet-ahm01-bracket-p11410/s22438

Too late now mind.

Potentially I could have done, but I'm not a big fan of the extra weight on the top of the helmet, especially on a 2.5hr round trip commute.

These are the lights I have either side of the stem:

Very handy as I can use them with a single remote paired to both which adjusts brightness and toggles the full beam part.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Can't listen to suggestions about putting cameras or lights on top of helmets without thinking about Michael Schumacher.
    Maybe there's options to attach lights to the side of the helmet?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Yeah using your helmet to hold hard stuff near your head is not really safe
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    Lets have a better look at it:

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,478
    How tall are you mrb?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    pinno said:

How tall are you mrb?

6'4". Frame is a 61R.
  • mrb123

Ordered one of these to try. Extra 10% off if you sign up to the emails, plus 4% Quidco cashback, so gets it to sub 70 quid. Already have the ls jersey in the same colour which I really like.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463

Axle cap. For the bargain price of £20, including £10 delivery. Managed to loose my previous faffing about trying to get two bikes into a saloon.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 435

Maybe you should have got 2 as you don’t want the situation when you lose that one.

• daniel_b

What size jersey did you go for, and what size jacket have you ordered?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 8

@mrb123 - meant to tag you in the above. Can you/anyone not edit posts anymore??

Will be very interested to hear what you make of it, reviews are glowing.

Ah you can only edit for 1 hour for some reason.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123

Got medium in the jersey and gone for the same in the jacket. Main concern is sleeve length as I'm tall and lanky. The jersey is very stretchy but might not be so much give in the jacket. I'll report back.

• mrb123
    edited January 13

The Endura jacket arrived. Seems nice but the fit isn't quite right for me. As feared, the sleeves are a little short. Think the large would be too flappy in the body.

I would expect it to be a very warm jacket when used with the inner gilet, plus that can be removed so it's pretty versatile. Construction seems decent and it has loads of pockets including a zipped one.

I note the price has gone back up to £99 now, although there's 10% off for signing up to emails.

Mine is going back...quite tempted by the Alpha ROS 2s that are now £128 on Wiggle/CRC.

• daniel_b

Thanks for the update, that IS a shame - and it going up in price.

The Alpha Ros 2 I rate REALLY highly, as long as it fits you, I think you would struggle to do any better, especially at that price.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123

The yellow one is now £112 although the red has gone up.

• daniel_b

That's bonkers value.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113

Yes castelli very good jacket. Their sizing is not as race fit as it was, I was XL in everything but in last 12 months their large has fitted me. I took a chance on the red/silver large at £150 last year. It got reduced to £122 a few weeks later. I sent wiggle a live chat about returning the jacket to get the new price. They refunded me the difference.

I'm not dying about the black at the back of this year's Red tho. Why manufacturers persist with black winter cycling gear I'll never understand.

• Knowing me I've probably already posted this, but bought XL Castelli Competizione bibs and Free Speed 2 jersey before Xmas, plus two sets of L04C pads for the Cube Attain GTC (having used cheaper alternatives during pandemic).

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b

Wiggle now have an extra 10% off their sale item, I think if you go TCB, it makes some of the Alpha Ros 2 jackets UNDER £100!

The women's ones are even cheaper, they can be had for closer to £70, which is bonkers, seriously thinking of getting one for my daughter.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123

Shame they put the price of the red one back up. Not sure I'm keen on the yellow (sorry Dan!)

• daniel_b

Inconceivable @mrb123 !!

;-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

Men's one have gone back up in price - nabbed small and large ones for my daughter and partner though.

£157 the pair after cashback.

Also noticed their return period has shrunk from 365 days to 60.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123

Sportful Total Comfort jacket and some Fiandre big tights, £160 for both with the extra 10% on Saddleback sale prices.

• daniel_b

All gone a bit quiet on here of recent........

Discovering that 4iiii in spring last year (I missed it) fixed their latest Precision 3 power meter crank, I have now placed an order for one to be factory fitted to my 9200 crank.

That will mean I can remove the Ultegra 8000 crank that is on there currently, which will please me.

Welcome 15 knocked it down to £285, and I need to find suitably insured postage to send it off to them as well.

Will try and remember to update with how smoothly it goes etc etc

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923

Buying gear? Nope. I pretty much stopped 3-4 years ago. I have all I want, and much more than I need. Have a full stock of consumables to last years too.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    edited February 16

I've certainly reduced a lot in the last couple of years, probably not dissimilar to yourself, I have ample stock of most things (Some consumables excluded) though I do still see some things I want as opposed to need, and as my daughter is getting into cycling I keep an eye out for any little gems for her.

I didn't explain the 4iiii situ properly in my post above, and as it's over an hour ago can no longer edit it 🙄

When I had the new groupset fitted to my Addict, I was planning to get the crank arm fitted with a 4iiii Precision 3 crank arm - but various reviews showed it was behaving erratically, both in terms of power measurement AND cadence AT the time.

As I had an Ultegra 8000 crank in the right length, I fitted that instead, and bided my time.

It seems like as of May last year, they finally released firmware that fixed the vast bulk of these issues, so I am now confident to order one to be fitted to my original crank.

I could have done so way back when, but as they had released a firmware revision a while back that made zero difference, I wasn't confident enough that it would be resolved in the months to come.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923

Yeah, I guess a lot if not most are in a similar position. Does not bode well for shops or the industry.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b

Whilst I don't see myself buying a new bike for a number of years, my daughter continues to grow taller so has a need for replacements, and both her and my partner are showing an interest in an upcoming local set of CX races, so may need some hardware to achieve that.

If that's the case, and we go new, I'll likely source from local bike shops.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18