Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    daniel_b said:

Idily looking around for some mostly black shoes, and stumbled on Suplest who I had never heard of before, so have taken a punt on these at 25% off from the ever reliable Sigma.

They arrived and they are ok, but they are not £230 nice, or even the reduced price of £172 imho. Maybe £120-£140 I would say.
    For reference the fit is fairly small I would say, the 44.5s fit me, where as most makes I wear now will fit me in a 45. It's a snug fit on these though, although perhaps as it's comparatively hot at the moment my feet are bigger than normal.
    The quality of them is pretty good, although the single boa on these does mean (As one of the reviews stated) that the front of the shoe does not tighten up that easily - however, you could class that as a positive, as in my case I would have needed it to be loose-ish to give the front of my foot room.

Insole is pretty firm and high, suspect a lot of people would want to put their own insole in there, so would need to factor that in there as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

Idily looking around for some mostly black shoes, and stumbled on Suplest who I had never heard of before, so have taken a punt on these at 25% off from the ever reliable Sigma.

They arrived and they are ok, but they are not £230 nice, or even the reduced price of £172 imho. Maybe £120-£140 I would say.
    For reference the fit is fairly small I would say, the 44.5s fit me, where as most makes I wear now will fit me in a 45. It's a snug fit on these though, although perhaps as it's comparatively hot at the moment my feet are bigger than normal.
    The quality of them is pretty good, although the single boa on these does mean (As one of the reviews stated) that the front of the shoe does not tighten up that easily - however, you could class that as a positive, as in my case I would have needed it to be loose-ish to give the front of my foot room.

Insole is pretty firm and high, suspect a lot of people would want to put their own insole in there, so would need to factor that in there as well.
    Yeah, gotta watch out for trying on shoes on a hot day. Done that.
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2021
    Pre-ordered a couple of sizes of these badgers from Tredz - very thin on the ground right now, due mid August allegedly.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    daniel_b said:

Pre-ordered a couple of sizes of these badgers from Tredz - very thin on the ground right now, due mid August allegedly.

What is it and do I need one??
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    6xM4 black Ti bolts for the stem on N1

All shiney and nice.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    And ordering some M5s for the seat clamp on the S3 and a M8 for the seat clamp on N1 - now that should save some weight from the lump of steel that is on there now.
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2021
    mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

What is it and do I need one??
    LOL :D

I'm building (very slowly) a TT bike to ride very slowly - I have some Zipp Vuka clip on bars, and these risers will give me some options for lifting the bars up a bit (10, 25 or 50mm) to try and get the best position for me when riding.
    I have no wind tunnel or any of that, so it will be done in an unscientific manner, likely using metrics such as feel, hr, power output and the longevity (or not) of pain afterwards.

So to answer your question, unless you have a TT bike AND Zipp Vuka bars, I think the above are not of any use to you - unless these risers are fairly generic, but I couldn't say for sure :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Spotted these Voile straps mentioned on a bike packing youtube video.

Thought I would try a few - not planning to go bike packing, but thought they could be useful for securing stuff onto a rack, and for securing bikes in our van, and or to each other for stability in transit.

https://bikemonger.co.uk/voile-straps-12684-p.asp

https://bikemonger.co.uk/voile-straps---xl-series-12713-p.asp

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    Magic eraser foam pad thing - really worked well on a pair of my yellow shoes that have gotten pretty not yellow over time - wouldn't say they look brand new, but they are easily 90% cleaner than they were.

More interestingly, some Bontrager XXX shoes - was looking for something with a carbon sole, and as black as possible, with minimal branding.

I suspect most people won't know what brand these are, XXX on the front, and a tiny Bontrager icon (Which I'm not convinced I'd recognise personally) on the rear of each shoe.
    Triton, Sigma & Bikester have them for £230 down from circa £320 I think, so a reasonable (28% ish) discount, but not a bargain by any means.
    The white ones look super blingy, but not my cup of tea.
    The fit is probably half a size generous over Mavic/Fizik/Scott - I very nearly fitted into a 43 (43.5 would have been perfect) where as in recent times I normally fit into a 44.
    I have stuck with a 44 despite a little bit more room than I might like.

Quality looks good, but then I suppose it should be for that amount.
    Insoles are servicable, but I suspect you'd want to put your own ones in anyway.

Shallow indeed, but I really like the fact it's mostly matt in finish, with a smattering of shiny bits - the Le Col shoe looked like a tap shoe in contrast I thought.

So if you're after some new shoes at this kind of budget, definitely give them a look - they have pretty decent reviews if you look around.

My only annoyance is that the arrows are white around the outside of the dials, as am pretty sure I have seen some that are just black - I'll pop a bit of electrical tape or automotive vinyl over the BOA lettering on the dials, but I don't think it's viable to cover the arrows :|

Other colours - white:

Odd looking white and Navy.............

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    mrb123 said:

Could have saved yourself a few quid and got these... 😉

This is true, BUT those only have one X, where as the ones I went for have 3 :D

£76.67 per X

£79.99 per X

These Van Rysels were also considered, but no Xs at all - wtf:

Also in consideration were Lake CX238s, the Bont Vaypor S, and a vague look at the Mavic Cosmic Ultimate III.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    Theoretically a MIPS version of this from Winstanleys, though I know they can be a bit hit and miss with product stock etc..........

Optimistally, I have also ordered a yellow aeroshell cover from Tredz, on the basis that I won't be wearing it for aero needs, it would be if it's cold or raining, and then high vis, imho, would be an advantage:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    oooh - any linkies to the van rysel ones please.

their aero tops also look well nice - anyone any experience of them?
  • daniel_b
    MattFalle said:

oooh - any linkies to the van rysel ones please.

their aero tops also look well nice - anyone any experience of them?

Here you go: https://decathlon.co.uk/p/van-rysel-sport-cycling-shoes/_/R-p-168471?mc=8575657&c=BLUE

Personally I rather liked this colour:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    mega mega - grazie!
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2021
    daniel_b said:

Theoretically a MIPS version of this from Winstanleys, though I know they can be a bit hit and miss with product stock etc..........

Optimistally, I have also ordered a yellow aeroshell cover from Tredz, on the basis that I won't be wearing it for aero needs, it would be if it's cold or raining, and then high vis, imho, would be an advantage:

Winstanleys delivered in good time, but as I then went on holiday only managed to try it today.

I've had 2 old school genesis helmets, a Z1 and a TT helmet, forget the model, but all fitted really nicely, so I had high expectations and was virtually certain it would be fine, but sadly it was not.

Could be due to the mips, but can't see why, but when I tension it correctly it rocks left to right, and as per one review I watched, the central bar in the helmet intrudes somewhat, so you feel it above all the others.

That same review said he found the helmet also tended to slip back (He showed pics of pro riders seemingly with the same issue), so maybe I've dodged a bullet, bit frustrating though.

All packaged up and ready to go back, along with the aeroshell cover to Tredz.

Think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cadence in either black, or that purple/green prism colour they make.
    Ideally if I could acquire a 2022 Addict RC in that colour it would make the decision for me, but gather no details out until October :#

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

Some of these. Very nice they are too.
  • daniel_b
    ProOwned cycling have sorted out their companies website so you at least now know what you are going to have to pay extra for having the audacity to shop outside of the uk.

As Mitchelton Scott kit will be dwindling from now on, thought I had better grab a few more bits whilst they are still around, these were all new variants, though they have as new, and used kit as well.

Lightweight climbers jersey:

Podium cap thing:

Beautiful TT saddle

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I bought f' all
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Been after this Isadore jersey for AGES, but not at £155.

I have two of their other merino jerseys, and they tend to be my go to jerseys - the fit & quality is really good, and they seem to handle a really wide temperature range - down to the merino I assume.

Bikester had one left in small at £94 - popped a couple of ancillaries to breach the £99 free postage threshold.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    The above jersey has been returned, nothing like as vibrant in the flesh.

Just bought a perfetto ros light for circa £92 after cashback and TCB bonus:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Trying out the perfetto early tomorrow on the commute - quality looks really good.

:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 608
    think this thread needs renaming to 'What yellow thing has Daniel just bought / returned?'
  • daniel_b
    Munsford0 said:

think this thread needs renaming to 'What yellow thing has Daniel just bought / returned?'

But to throw you off guard, I may buy a green bike :o

*The perfetto was awesome by the way, and some might even say it was perfect ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Are you completely in bright yellow now dude?
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    MattFalle said:

No I like to alternate it - so I have yellow and black shoes, and also jet black shoes.
    Both black and yellow, or black OR yellow in the following items:
    Socks, warmers, caps, jerseys, jackets, mitts, gloves
    Shorts are black only, apart from a couple of Rapha pairs with some yellow bits.
    Bibtights black and yellow.

Helmets are generally yellow, glasses are almost always yellow.

Bikes are currently black with yellow X 2, but there may be a yellow with black to join the fleet soon, and a likely green bike to replace an existing green bike as well.

I would have bought a truly stunning 'prism' green/purple flip paintjobbed bike, but the sellers (7 hour round trip away) who have a nearly new one have really put me off, as they are 'unnerved' by the fact I have asked for some close up pictures of certain key parts of the bike, and couldn't be @rsed to send any.
    There are no new ones left anywhere in the country.
    THEY are unnerved :D WTAF.

It's annoying as I bought some Sutros in the same finish :'(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    "truly stunning" - estate agent speak for run of the mill, shoe-box of a house.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    elbowloh said:

"truly stunning" - estate agent speak for run of the mill, shoe-box of a house.

This really was lovely though (imho), but I think it must have been pricy paint, as they have canned the two flip paint models they had, and it's now just bog standard paint, but with a fade, nothing like as nice :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    daniel_b said:

MattFalle said:

No I like to alternate it - so I have yellow and black shoes, and also jet black shoes.
    Both black and yellow, or black OR yellow in the following items:
    Socks, warmers, caps, jerseys, jackets, mitts, gloves
    Shorts are black only, apart from a couple of Rapha pairs with some yellow bits.
    Bibtights black and yellow.

Helmets are generally yellow, glasses are almost always yellow.

Bikes are currently black with yellow X 2, but there may be a yellow with black to join the fleet soon, and a likely green bike to replace an existing green bike as well.

so like a wasp or bee then?
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    Yep I'd agree with that B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18