Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ^^^ Jennifers the lot of ya!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SimonAH wrote:
    ^^^ Jennifers the lot of ya!

No idea what that's supposed to mean.. but rolling with one hood would look fu<king stupid, you'd just have the little finger brakes ifyou didn't want hoods

plus what the hell difference is a few grams making differencewise when I'm over 100kgs :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Got some weird looks tonight filtering like a demon wearing civvies riding my drop barred ribble commuter, full to bursting rucksack with a bubble wrap bike frame over my shoulders

;-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Bubble wrap bike frame eh? Is that even lighter than carbon?
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    So here we go, apologies for the grainy iphone phones

wrapped

5497336109_1fc34366b5.jpg

unwrapped

5497935080_6196b69367.jpg

some parts

5498085674_9a488ea686.jpg

bars & rear mech (i know FGSS)

5498163676_67a1df4e74.jpg

headshot

5498171362_dbd71d331c.jpg

Angle shot

5497578701_e678a23b81.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Mkay i'm very confused now, the plan was old frame new parts but now ... I have old frame mostly old parts but they're ShimaNO I don't want ShimaNO on my bike.

I have 105 rear mech, SLR brakes and A400 9 speed indexed downtube shifters all will work perfectly with the Campag crankset, front mech and wheels/cassette but will look "ghey"

Also my beautiful 1" carbon aero forks just didn't look as good as the resprayed 531 steel :( and my plan to run black & red seems to have disappeared as I think the red & silver looks pretty good, esp when I tape those original Alu Raleigh bars with brown leather tape to match the saddle.

So it's modern 9 speed grifters with full old-ish campag Mirage ??? I just can't be doing with proper retro campag, I want an everyday commuter.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    After much faffing around, my fixie has the gearing I want (50/18). I've been for a little spin and it feels so much better than the 34/16 I was running (especially downhill) for a few days and the 50/16 I was running for a day (especially uphill). I'm finding it a bit of a mission on the ups, but on the flats and downs, it feels good.

I still need to wrap the bars and get some of those SPD/flat double sided pedals and then the bike is finally complete.

Oh, I'll need SPD shoes (anyone know where I can try these on before I buy?shimano-bmp66w-zoom.jpg

Oh yeah, thinking about mudguards too.

So, SPDs, SPD shoes, handlebar wrap and mudguards and then it is finally and completely finished.
    Done.

Finito.

Fin.

Completemente.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    does anyone have any advice on getting a respray. Got my new geared commuter now so going to take my SS to bits, make it shiny and put it back together fixed with straight bars.

edited to say: I'd prefer to do this myself as want to keep any costs mega low after spaffing some serious wedge on the condor.
  • itboffin
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    eke those shoes are really bulky in real life, they look a bit erm 'special' (or perhaps 'corrective' is a good alternative')

as for spd/flat pedals having both I can say the shimano m324 beat the a530's hands down esp if you want to add straps for the flat side.

btw eke did you see the SE drinks next thursday? you should come down.
    Hat + Beard
  • EKE_38BPM
    hatbeard wrote:
    eke those shoes are really bulky in real life, they look a bit erm 'special' (or perhaps 'corrective' is a good alternative')

as for spd/flat pedals having both I can say the shimano m324 beat the a530's hands down esp if you want to add straps for the flat side.

btw eke did you see the SE drinks next thursday? you should come down.

I've always said that shoe shopping online isn't a good idea because you need to actually try the shoes on, so I need to find a shop with a decent range. Maybe if I could actually see them I could see their corrective nature for myself.

I was looking at the m324, pretty much decided on them for the reason you said about the straps.

The SE drinks would be quite a trek from Barnet on a school night. I think I'll have to give it a miss.

• itboffin
    Tiz finished, well ... almost but ridable now anyway.

5502224199_bcd8e9c18a_z.jpg

5502225147_b3cf462159_z.jpg

When the rest of my parts arrive next week this will be the new/old commuter, I think those brake levers are going to cause problems :?
  • EKE_38BPM
    I can't help noticing that that SS/FG seems to have rather a lot of gears.

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I can't help noticing that that SS/FG seems to have rather a lot of gears.

ITB understands singlespeed to mean only using one gear at a time so he classes it as a singlespeed :lol: Is that overspray on the front hub?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Shut it you two, no your confused that's only one gear :roll: and no those are RED hubs natch to match the paint work.

Alas i've scratched the headtube whilst adjusting the bars therefore i'm gonna have to fit some kind of badge.

but wow it rides so sweet, in fact it always did - im commute PB was on this bike SS of course.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Just got one these being delivered to my local Evans to test out.

kona-paddy-wagon-2010-single-speed-.jpg

New house means a commute with no hills so it's time to make the MTB commuter back into a MTB and have a play with SS... :D
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I bought a cheap wheel off ebay and tried to run it (120mm) in my 135 dropouts. I got the chainline spot on by moving chainring to inside of spider and using a velosolo spacer on the hub. First attempt at a skid and the cog (and lockring) unwound itself. When trying to fix it I managed to over tighten the lockring and stripped the threads :cry:

Hoping I can get away with a spacer on the single speed side so it's not a total write off - don't fancy running a suicide hub.
  • EKE_38BPM
    First fixed commute today after a week of final fettling and 25+ mile rides to get used to it.
    I'm getting used to riding fixed (no fixie moments on todays commute) and, thanks to getting what seems like the right gear for me, I'm starting to really enjoy it.

It feels like I'm faster on slight inclines than I am geared, probably due to the dose of MTFU that comes free with every fixie.
    Just need to get some pedals & shoes and wrap the handlebars then Project Banana becomes Fixie Banana Bike.

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I just had to buy her...

IMAG0185.jpg

:mrgreen:
  • Think riding on fixed or SS is more like hard work?

I would have thought fixed, but I've been happily commuting on fixed (42-15) a few days a week for the last couple of months. I flipped it over to SS (42-16) while I get used to my phat new tires.

First of all, far too spinny, and then I'm huffing and puffing up hills and I can feel my quads. What the hell...?
    "Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."
  • EKE_38BPM
    By phat do you mean flashy, bling tyres or phat as in chunky e.g. "Girl, you've got a phat ass" (said as a compliment)?

Chunky tyres will slow you down, bling tyres e.g. Vittoria Rubino (or whatever they're called) should speed you up.

• Nah, not blingy, I mean phat as in 35mm slicks. Thing is, they didn't feel slow on the flat, like I said 42-16 was to spinny if anything, just when I got to a hill.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Extra weight? Rotating mass has a massive effect, especially on hills.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    and no those are RED hubs natch to match the paint work.

Looks like overspray - I'll lend you a brillo pad if you like :lol:

PS Serious question - why to proprietary fixies/ss always seem to have deep rim wheels given that they need them less than most road bikes? Surely better to capitalise on the low overall weight by keeping wheel weight to a minimum. Or am I naively assuming it isn't to do with keepin it kool for the hipsters?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Surely better to capitalise on the low overall weight by keeping wheel weight to a minimum. Or am I naively assuming it isn't to do with keepin it kool for the hipsters?

Stiffness is probably good for the rear wheel, but I think it's mostly the hipster thing.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I think that deep rims are partly to look kool but they do have a practical effect as they are more aerodynamic. Why it has caught on so much with the fixie possee is a bit of a mystery to me, but whenever I buy wheels, I go for the deepest rims I can get (for the aero effect).

I read somewhere that to get the most benefit for your money, you should look at improving aerodynamics rather than reducing weight.
    Wind tunnel tests showed that Lance would be 2 seconds slower over 40Km if he rode with his little finger sticking out rather than wrapped around the handlebar as usual.

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    i normally ride with my middle finger up at various peds, cars and other cyclists... might explain why I'm not that quick.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Deep V's are boss....
  • Hate Deep-V's. Great on a nice day, an absolute b1tch in cross-winds.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think that deep rims are partly to look kool but they do have a practical effect as they are more aerodynamic. Why it has caught on so much with the fixie possee is a bit of a mystery to me, but whenever I buy wheels, I go for the deepest rims I can get (for the aero effect).

But the aero is less of an issue for a slower fixie than it is for a faster road bike. And road bikes don't get deep rims by default anyway normally and certainly not until they cost a lot. A cheap deep rim on an urban bike is going to be more liability than gain in most respects I'd have thought.

I tend to go for shallow rims for speed!
    Faster than a tent.......