Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My deep Vs look much more bling than I wanted 5382mfa_20.jpegso I've just 'accuired' a load of stickers to sticker bomb them. I'll take the maker's branding off and see how they look 'naked' and then decide if they need to be 'bombed' like this car wing.
    41F6V.jpg
    But that may be counter productive if I want to look less bling.

Lots of playing around with my wheels this weekend, de-stickering, deciding on a pattern for the reflective spoke straws (I'm thinking one wheel with a spiral pattern and the other with three triangles like the nuclear material warning sign)Nuclear_Warning_Symbol.gif, and maybe sticker bombing (or maybe not).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    This thread has been gathering dust for almost a year, well not anymore - welcome back FGSS

<insert pic of new FGSS>

Let the big ring wars commence

Any advise on single brake lever set up?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    itboffin wrote:
    Under the back of your seat for when cruising hands free?
  • itboffin wrote:
    This thread has been gathering dust for almost a year, well not anymore - welcome back FGSS

<insert pic of new FGSS>

Where ever your hands fall naturally? If thats still the red bike?

A Little brake lever in the middle of the handle bars would not be confidence inspiring partically once you've built upp speed.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    itboffin wrote:

<insert pic of new FGSS>

Currently just have normal levers on the drops. The left one is just for symmetry.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

<insert pic of new FGSS>

Currently just have normal levers on the drops. The left one is just for symmetry.

+1 to that.
  • itboffin
    Looks a bit flappy and silly not attached to anything, the lever that is

Edit: Liv this bike is using your old rims ;-)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

<insert pic of new FGSS>

+1 to that.
    +2, however, I have my only brake on the left on my fixie. That way when indicating to turn right (across traffic) I still have full braking force. Indicating to turn left means I slow with a touch of leg braking (kept to a minimum as I like having functional knees).

And for the big ring possee, I'm running a 52T up front (and 26 at the back).

• itboffin
    52/26T ......!!!!

Er sort of missing the point of BIG ring :lol:

52" = ghey

I have 82" on the BSO, the new FGSSv2 is going to have 79 on the SS and 74 on the FG side.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Running a single Tri lever on the LHS of the bullhorns on mine. Indication is safer, cable run is better and given the bars there is no need for a dummy lever as I don't need a hood.

definitely a caution on a 'cross lever (shuddered when I saw them on the otherwise gorgeous Cooper). Why have drops if you're not going to get into them and put the hammer down? And it's at full chat that leg braking is as effective as a lace condom.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'll be going over to the dark side of FG when the sprocket and lockring arrives next week. I've already prepped at A&E :shock: Will be keeping the freewheel for the time being and pushing a 50/17 77.6"
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Semi finished just waiting for my white halo rail tyres and my white spds but it'll do for tomorrows commute at least.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

Proving once again I can not take an in focus picture.
  • itboffin wrote:

Haha awesome! The ones with the dent from my argument with the kerb?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Haha awesome! The ones with the dent from my argument with the kerb?

Yes but fixed now, ride very smoothly ATM however i'm sure a couple of weeks of semi off road country commuting isn't going to help.
  • dhope
    SimonAH wrote:
    Running a single Tri lever on the LHS of the bullhorns on mine. Indication is safer, cable run is better and given the bars there is no need for a dummy lever as I don't need a hood.

definitely a caution on a 'cross lever (shuddered when I saw them on the otherwise gorgeous Cooper). Why have drops if you're not going to get into them and put the hammer down? And it's at full chat that leg braking is as effective as a lace condom.
    Yup, I have the otherwise gorgeous Cooper and the drops and brakes are irritating. They're more like track drops, which for a 5 speed hub feels a bit silly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    Having riden just over two miles so far on totally empty village roads I'm already very unhappy with the single brake option as much as it annoys me i might have to go fixed.

oh and after a lot of searching i managed to find this classic again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRekj46Vq8
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry? You're riding FREEWHEEL with one brake? Dat not smart big fella.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    oh and after a lot of searching i managed to find this classic again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRekj46Vq8

Lets see them stop quickly :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    SimonAH wrote:
    Sorry? You're riding FREEWHEEL with one brake? Dat not smart big fella.
    +1

Of course I'm not riding 52" and 52/26 was a poor joke to see if I had your attention. I'm actually running 52/17

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    just plug both brakes in and ride fixed.

52"...?

that is ghey.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    itboffin wrote:
    Having riden just over two miles so far on totally empty village roads I'm already very unhappy with the single brake option as much as it annoys me i might have to go fixed.

I know America is going through a hard time so why don't we start donating our old tyres to the US of A? Bless them, they still carry on riding! :wink:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • EKE_38BPM
    I can't remember exactly what my GI is, but its something like 76". 56" is too weedy for a colossus like me.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I can't remember exactly what my GI is, but its something like 76". 56" is too weedy for a colossus like me.

yeah 70-80 gets one up london hills or even boxhill! and enought to get to 30mph or so.

though being a SS I can freewheel faster.
  • itboffin
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I think not young girl, if you have 52/26 then you is rocking a 52" http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

and seriously need to MTFU :lol:
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Of course I'm not riding 52" and 52/26 was a poor joke to see if I had your attention. I'm actually running 52/17
    Though, agreed, more fun to ignore EKE's protesting about his pathetic number of inches
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Though, agreed, more fun to ignore EKE's protesting about his pathetic number of inches

Twaz on the previous page and therefore does not exist - FACT
  • itboffin
    Ready for tomorrows hopefully dry commute
    AmNQaSYCQAAjWwD.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    Nice looking bike.

White saddle,pedals, chainring, crankset, tyres and tape. Tarty!

No rear brake I see. I hope you're riding fixed.

• itboffin
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Nice looking bike.

Nope also the clearance on that 24c back tyre is just about enough to pass a cig paper, gonna be interesting when some shoot gets stuck in there.

Happy days
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Nice looking bike.

Nope also the clearance on that 24c back tyre is just about enough to pass a cig paper, gonna be interesting when some shoot gets stuck in there.

Happy days

One brake and a freewheel is not wise. That is the subject for many threads on LFGSS. Its just like the helmet debate is on here.