Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    rjsterry wrote:
    I take it the Mercian frame was built for 27" wheels rather than 700c hence the brake issue (or have I got that the wrong way round)?

EDIT: I ask because there is an old 10-speed with 27" wheels hanging up in my parents garage that I am tempted to get back on the road (when I have the time)

So most dual pivot brakes are 49mm or there about, long reach are up to 57mm seems the Mercian audux tourers from the early 80s need 57-69mm for the rear, not hard to find but then again not the best quality. I have a 57mm on the front and a 60+ jobby on order.

Yey braking :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My spare frame at home has horizontal dropouts....

... so, recommendations on where to pick up a Surlyesque or Surly spacer kit? (i.e. one with lots of spacers for messing around with chainlines)
    :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Charlie the Bike Monger isn't the cheapest, but his service is excellent.

Tomorrow will by my first fixed commute; I am slightly aprehensive about forgetting I'm fixed and having enough in my legs to deal with hills and headwinds.

Biting the bullet though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I was hoping for somewhere in town that would have stuff in stock (kinda caught with my pants down and need it Saturday).

I did find a nice set made by Trialtech:
    http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10342&category_id=28

Certainly suit my tarty tastes, but yeah, I want (need) pronto.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    itboffin wrote:

So most dual pivot brakes are 49mm or there about, long reach are up to 57mm seems the Mercian audux tourers from the early 80s need 57-69mm for the rear, not hard to find but then again not the best quality. I have a 57mm on the front and a 60+ jobby on order.

You (or a local engineering company) can make up drop brackets if you don't want long-reach calipers. They're ugly though.
  • itboffin
    Roastie wrote:
    I was hoping for somewhere in town that would have stuff in stock (kinda caught with my pants down and need it Saturday).

You in the big smoke tomorrow?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Roastie wrote:

Evans and Cyclesurgery both have full kits listed on their websites (includes a cog but I'll buy this from you if you like 8)), might be worth calling the London stores.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dmr ... d%20spacer

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/Search/single-speed-spacer/
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    saw someone on a ss this morning with no brakes fitted.

Whats that about?
  • Canny Jock
    Let's hope it was fixed gear! That allows you to brake using the pedals, a single speed would require some form of hill or heavy object (car/lorry/wall) to stop.

No brakes even on a fixed is naughty, they should at least have a front. Maybe he took the wrong turn off a track?
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Canny Jock wrote:
    No brakes even on a fixed is naughty, they should at least have a front. Maybe he took the wrong turn off a track?

that would be a right turn then :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    could have been a fixed but certainly nothing on the front
  • Canny Jock
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

that would be a right turn then :P
    :D
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I claimed my firsat scalp today, I fear this singlespeed commuting business may prove to be habit forming.
  • asprilla
    Ok first fixed commute today and overall it was excellent, I can see myself getting used to this.

First shakedown ride for the bike and so fra I've discovered:

1) Seat angle is wrong, needs dipping this weekend
    2) Left lever is a bit loose, has some left right play when on the hoods
    3) Chain tension needs to be bloody tight, I had it come off three times going over speed bumps, but I think I've got it right now (thank god for my collection of old Raleigh multispanners).
    4) I think I'm going to need a 400mm seat post, although a slightly thicker saddle may be enough.

As for riding FG itself I really loved it, twice I forgot that I couldn't freewheel, but I didn't mess up too badly.

Today was 48x18 and was relatively easy, but that was without headwind or any other issues, so I might go to 48x17 (same as the freehub on the flip flop) for next week and see how it goes.

What gearing does everyone else use?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Asprilla wrote:
    Ok first fixed commute today and overall it was excellent...
    3) Chain tension needs to be bloody tight, I had it come off three times going over speed bumps, but I think I've got it right now ...

Hmm- You shouldn't need a tight chain to stop it derailing. Are you sure your chainline is right & you don't have any bent-teeth (No! On the bike...!) or a warped chainring?

The chain should run OK with a bit of slack in it, though it's better set with a minimum of play. If you put significant tension in it, you may well damage your bearings.
    ... Today was 48x18 ... I might go to 48x17 ...
    What gearing does everyone else use?

Depends on your rim+tyre size (and on your crank length, too) I'm running 48x19 (about 68"), after moving up from 38x16 and 52x22 (both about 64"). These are all on 700x28c wheels.
    This morning I took the long,flat route to the station and averaged just under 19mph with that gearing (I am chuffed about this, BTW :-) ). Usually I take the short-hilly route, and average about 16. The second part of today's commute is along a slow towpath- average was under 15mph.

So- you can see that terrain, condition and personal preference play a big part.

Personally, I reckon it's better to run lower gears and work on improving your technique- this may be easier on your knees (widely believed, not sure there's any hard evidence for it), it should help acceleration away from the lights but it may limit your top speed.
    You should find that developing a smooth, circular pedalling style on a fixed helps your overall cycling technique. The need to mix spinning and pushing hard certainly helps condition, and you'll probably find yourself pressing-on up hills to maintain momentum & cadence. The discovery that I was able to rest & recover breathing whilst still spinning the cranks was something of a revelation to me...

48x17 is a 76" gear, on 28c tyres, which isn't stupidly high, but would have me grinding away up fairly modest hills and being slow away from the lights. I can hit 30mph+ briefly, on my current gearing, which is all I need for the riding I usually do, so I don't find myself braking to limit cadence.
    I increased my gearing after a fast run on the flat where I found I was tiring quickly as a result of trying to sustain over 120rpm. I would probably have gone back to 64" over the winter, if I'd found the time to fettle the winter hack.. as it was I coped OK on 68.

Hope this helps... my main advice is to start low & spinny and go to a higher gear when you need to, rather than thinking that it's macho to run a 52x12 and spend half your life standing on the pedals..

Others will have a different view... Over to you, LiT for the case for Big Gears :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I need some advice on technique - when pedalling hard, I feel a distinct bouncing up and down in the saddle that makes it difficult to maintain fast speeds, unless I'm going downhill then spinning away is less of a problem.

The saddle is already as high as I can put it without losing grip at maximum leg extension. I'm 187cm tall (6'2") with a 61cm frame, drops (Gary Fisher Triton).
  • asprilla
    No bent teeth on the bike (everything is box fresh) and as far as I'm aware the chainline is spot on; I've measured it and it's quiet when running on the jig. Only thing I didn't look at this morning was the BB to make sure it hadn't moved (apparently can be an issue with Miche ones).

The times the chain came off or made noice was over speed bumps. I adjusted the tension after leaving Richmond Park and didn't have any issues for the rest of the journey.

I was a little slower today (5 mins over 17 miles taking stopping into account) than I would notmally be on my road bike, but I feel lik it was easier, probably because I was pedalling more smoothly and I was anticipating lights and junctions more.

There were times when I found that I was pootling, when on my road bike I would normally keep my cadance and change gear to increase speed automatially, but today I had to remind myself in increase my cadance to go faster.

Cheers of the advice.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I run 50x16 in flat old London, but that's SS not FG. I had issues with a chain that kept coming off, in the end I binned the chain and the Shimano freewheel and invested in a White Industries ENO Freewheel. Not had any problems since.
  • asprilla
    I run 50x16 in flat old London, but that's SS not FG. I had issues with a chain that kept coming off, in the end I binned the chain and the Shimano freewheel and invested in a White Industries ENO Freewheel. Not had any problems since.

I've got the red one with 17t on the other side of the flip flop.

I might try it on the way home tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Canny Jock

Do you need to adjust the rear brake when changing the wheel position, and is it much of an issue?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Zachariah wrote:
    I need some advice on technique - when pedalling hard, I feel a distinct bouncing up and down in the saddle that makes it difficult to maintain fast speeds, unless I'm going downhill then spinning away is less of a problem.

The saddle is already as high as I can put it without losing grip at maximum leg extension. I'm 187cm tall (6'2") with a 61cm frame, drops (Gary Fisher Triton).

If you're having problems with bouncing you may actually benefit from lowering the saddle a few mm. I think bouncing tends to result from slight rocking of the hips, which is obviously going to be problematic at high speeds.

I got my saddle height just right on my Genesis and recently managed 196rpm (nearly 41mph on 48/18). 8)

Next goal is 200...

Matthew
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    gbsahne wrote:
    saw someone on a ss this morning with no brakes fitted.

Whats that about?
    There's a girl at my old job who rides a SS with only a rear brake. I hope she doesn't need to stop quickly, especially downhill, as she may be disappointed.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Zachariah wrote:

If you're having problems with bouncing you may actually benefit from lowering the saddle a few mm. I think bouncing tends to result from slight rocking of the hips, which is obviously going to be problematic at high speeds.

I got my saddle height just right on my Genesis and recently managed 196rpm (nearly 41mph on 48/18). 8)

Next goal is 200...

Matthew

Interesting...I've had this problem too, and come to think of it I have always erred on the side of higher. I must try the few mms less and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Still playing with my saddle height..but that's more to do with a knee injury. However I have raised my saddle slightly and am now bouncing less.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • asprilla
    OK, Day 2 in the Fixed Gear House and Asprilla is finding 48*18 ok, providing he sticks to the flatter route, however, this evening he's going to attempt the hills and see how it gos.

The whole point of me going fixed was to work harder and spin faster so I'll see what I'm made of tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Asprilla wrote:
    OK, Day 2 in the Fixed Gear House and Asprilla is finding 48*18 ok, providing he sticks to the flatter route, however, this evening he's going to attempt the hills and see how it gos.

The whole point of me going fixed was to work harder and spin faster so I'll see what I'm made of tonight.

I've got 48*17 and that's fine I started on 48*18 though to get used to it more... I was thinking of upping it be decided it's a winter bike so spinning more is useful

I have 50*17 on the Mills (pretty bike)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    Havent been out on mine so much due to the awful weather and the commute being a ridiculous distance at the moment.... only till next week mind you then its down to what will basically be a sprint :twisted:

I hit 35mph on saturday on a dual carriageway on saturday, I am currently running a 48x13 and havent had any issues with hills yet. But I couldnt resist getting the bigger ring so going to try a 50x13 combo.

Although the new job may have the cycle to work scheme. so I may be getting a proper road bike but I will still be out on the fixed - the roadie will be for longer rides and for trying to get stupid speeds :P (I have seen some stupidly sized big rings for geared bikes)

will most likely fit the bigger 50t ring around mid/late April. will let you know how I get on :D
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Completed my single speed conversion and ready to join the world of single speeders on Monday morning.

Chain line looks good and installation seemed ok, pedals seem to spin either way smoothly but can't test ride till tomorrow.

I didn't have the tools required to swap chainrings around so I've just removed the biggest ring which I could get off and gone for 39/16. I have no idea if that will be too spinny. My route is largely towpath where I tend to cruise at about 18 so I think it should be reasonable.
  • itboffin
    pastryboy wrote:
    Completed my single speed conversion and ready to join the world of single speeders on Monday morning.

Chain line looks good and installation seemed ok, pedals seem to spin either way smoothly but can't test ride till tomorrow.

I didn't have the tools required to swap chainrings around so I've just removed the biggest ring which I could get off and gone for 39/16. I have no idea if that will be too spinny. My route is largely towpath where I tend to cruise at about 18 so I think it should be reasonable.

nice one however I suspect a 39/16 on anything but the hilliest or off road riding is going to be too spinny, still only you will know.