Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    And we're off
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I need to straighten the stem but other than that a silent quick ride
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1 for either going fixed or fudging a back brake. Front brake + freewheel = bad karma
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gussio wrote:
    +1 for either going fixed or fudging a back brake. Front brake + freewheel = bad karma

Really though? I spent 3 months commuting through London on my SS without a working rear brake, made naff all difference as far as I could tell. I have finally fixed it now.

Also boffo, you massive tart.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nice bike, ride fixed you pansy

it that a commuter bike... is white smart?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Gussio wrote:

Really though? I spent 3 months commuting through London on my SS without a working rear brake, made naff all difference as far as I could tell. I have finally fixed it now.

High praise coming from you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Gussio wrote:

Its about redundancy. If something goes wrong with the Tart's only brake he has no way to stop because of the freewheel.
    On my fixie, if something goes wrong with my only brake, I can leg brake. If something goes wrong with my drivetrain, such as the chain snapping, I can use the brake to stop.

Its the same reason that cars have two braking circuits (one braking the front left and rear right wheels and the other braking the front right and rear left wheels) operating from the foot brake.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gussio wrote:

indeed.

a) front brake does almost all the work.

b) skid stops while entertaining is not great way to stop quickly.
  • Clever Pun
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Its about redundancy. If something goes wrong with the Tart's only brake he has no way to stop because of the freewheel.
    On my fixie, if something goes wrong with my only brake, I can leg brake. If something goes wrong with my drivetrain, such as the chain snapping, I can use my face & body to stop.

ftfy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    Gussio wrote:

By fixed, do you mean that you have mended the brake problem or that you have now moved from SS to FG?

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

On my fixie, if something goes wrong with my only brake, I can leg brake. If something goes wrong with my drivetrain, such as the chain snapping, I can use the brake to stop.

Its the same reason that cars have two braking circuits (one braking the front left and rear right wheels and the other braking the front right and rear left wheels) operating from the foot brake.

with a car they are equal, on a bike they are far from equal, don't get me wrong I have two brakes and wouldn't feel safe with out them, but equally the front does the work, I'd be lot happer riding home with my rear failed than my front.
  • Gussio
    Does the law say that you have to have two forms of brake on a bike?
  • Gussio
    Gussio wrote:

I've never had a brake cable snap on any bike, but......at school there was a chap called Oliver who had a brake failure on his bike and ploughed into a wall. Lost a bollock up into his stomach as a result. As far as I know, he still goes by the name Ollie One Ball. Personal choice, but I would go for two brakes on a SS.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    You wouldn't go one break on a roadie bike, so why for an SS?

I can't see the difference there.
  • You wouldn't go one break on a roadie bike, so why for an SS?

I can't see the difference there.

there is such a thing in kingston, well SS style with a cassette on the back.
  • 20 years ago I was descending, at maximum warp, a long, fairly steep but straight hill that ended at a T-junction with a busy road. My front brake Campag Record cable snapped off at the button. :shock: Luckily this happened half-way down the hill or there may still not have been enough time to come to a concentrated stop. 2brakes 4eva.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've had a cable snap as a result of my fettling when I was a school boy, but none since then.
    I've never had brake failure in any car I've driven but I'm glad there is redundancy there.

Its a belt and braces thing, but instead of keeping your trousers up, its (potentially) keeping your life intact.

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Gussio wrote:
    Does the law say that you have to have two forms of brake on a bike?

Yes.

You can count a fixed drivetrain as one, but you have to have two independent means of braking.
  • itboffin
    Trees and hedgerows also work surprisingly well, they also double up as a nice place for a powernap ....so I'm told
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Tarmac is an effective way of stopping if you're a five year old kid, I lived to tell the tale. One of my first bikes was 12" wheels, FG and solid tyres and front rod brake. Going downhill as a kid you want speed so I take my feet of the pedals, as the speed increases so does the gap between myself and my worried mum who screams at me to stop so I grab the front brake with expected consequences, a 2" dia bruise on my forehead that stuck out 1/2" :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Ride home was a tad more effort but still very enjoyable riding even in the windy/wet/dark

PS. those Halo twin rail tyres make an odd sort of MTB noise but seem to grip on loose gravel and mud well.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Hmm, I've had a brake cable snap, thankfully at the bottom of the large hill I ride daily.
    Not sure I'd be happy with just a single brake, though in town I've seen chavs on BSOs with the brakes seemingly disconnected, braking with their feet either against the tyre or the road.
    Misguided Idealist
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    Ride home was a tad more effort but still very enjoyable riding even in the windy/wet/dark

PS. those Halo twin rail tyres make an odd sort of MTB noise but seem to grip on loose gravel and mud well.

Are they still white though?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Yes very white
  • itboffin
    Bike is now very mucky :(

Still not having a problem with just the one brake, must be something to do with you fakengers
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    Bike is now very mucky :(

Still not having a problem with just the one brake, must be something to do with you fakengers

I don't think you will have a problem.

Until its a major and very painful one.

• itboffin
    cleaned the SS took all of 2 mins
  • itboffin
    Swapped the rear wheel around this afternoon just to double check how much I dislike FG - yep bloody stupid thing to have/do with a bike.

Enough of that silliness
  • itboffin wrote:
    Swapped the rear wheel around this afternoon just to double check how much I dislike FG - yep bloody stupid thing to have/do with a bike.

Enough of that silliness

I like freewheeling too much, and banking over!
  • itboffin
    well that's it i'm committed to a week of the normal commute, 16 miles each way SS no water bottle no rear brake and a few short sharp hills for good measure.

hmmm might need to MTFU a tad tomorrow