Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    itboffin wrote:
    well that's it i'm committed to a week of the normal commute, 16 miles each way SS no water bottle no rear brake and a few short sharp hills for good measure.

hmmm might need to MTFU a tad tomorrow

Let us know how you get on, finally solved the pedal and brake issues with the 2nd hand SS i bought. Going to try the 19 mile (each way) on monday. Leaving nice and early in case there's any walking up hills :wink:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    putting together my new FG at the moment.... looking sweet.
  • vombida
    vombida Posts: 8
    Relatively new in road cycling and I just got rid off a crappy frame and ended with a full Shimano 105 and road wheels.
    Anyway...I got tempted by the simplicity and beauty of SS bikes and said "why not sell the road components and try to one SS/FX?" Also using a flip/flop hub seems ideal 4 me.
    Taking into consideration that i want to use it as a commuting bike (25-30 km daily 3-4 times per week) and also undertake some longer routes of 80km, im asking:
    Is it possible to do 80-100km on a track frame? (mostly in terms of geometry not in terms of gearing)

Since i dont want to spent too much im thinking either of
    http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Track%20Fram ... uct_id=121 (frame+fork at 300 euros)

or

http://www.eurobike.uk.com/details.aspx?p=317 (frame+fork at 400 euros)

What do you think of these two?

Are their geometry relaxed enough for the type of routes i mentioned before? Can i use flip/flop hub and install rear brakes on them?

Im sorry if any questions sound silly, but im new into this stuff... :oops:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    putting together my new FG at the moment.... looking sweet.

Spec?
  • maddernj
    maddernj Posts: 50
    My 2p's

On the subject of rear brakes....Good for scrubbing speed downhill and emergency stops, thats about it.

On the subject of GI - 48*17 (74.5) looking to move up to 48*16 for the summer months though, that covers my 17mile commute with 500ft of elevation (according to Strava). 48*17 will keep me at a happy 20-22mph without to much bother, anything over 24mph and my legs are a blur and it starts to hurt.
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • clarkey cat
    In terms of GI - I ride 48*14 and I think thats a bit too high even though my commute is completely flat. Its the stop and start of London traffic thats the problem and days where the headwind is a-blowing. Going to try 48*17 for a bit just to get the legs spinning.

Gussio: New Bike Time:

IMG2353-M.jpg
  • Gussio
    In terms of GI - I ride 48*14 and I think thats a bit too high even though my commute is completely flat. Its the stop and start of London traffic thats the problem and days where the headwind is a-blowing. Going to try 48*17 for a bit just to get the legs spinning.

Gussio: New Bike Time:

IMG2353-M.jpg

Can't see photos on stupid work PC.

I ride 48*17 and find it to be just about right. Used to have 16 at the back but found that any sort of a headwind killed me. Even without a headwind the last couple of days in each week were a chore rather than a pleasure.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    vombida wrote:
    Relatively new in road cycling and I just got rid off a crappy frame and ended with a full Shimano 105 and road wheels.
    Anyway...I got tempted by the simplicity and beauty of SS bikes and said "why not sell the road components and try to one SS/FX?" Also using a flip/flop hub seems ideal 4 me.
    Taking into consideration that i want to use it as a commuting bike (25-30 km daily 3-4 times per week) and also undertake some longer routes of 80km, im asking:
    Is it possible to do 80-100km on a track frame? (mostly in terms of geometry not in terms of gearing)

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Track%20Fram ... uct_id=121 (frame+fork at 300 euros)

or

Are their geometry relaxed enough for the type of routes i mentioned before? Can i use flip/flop hub and install rear brakes on them?

really depends how you set the handle bars up and your shape really. Dolans get used a lot for general riding and get good reviews. if you can ride the 80 without too much struggle and have the bike set up in a more relaxed way, should be no problems.

so you're thinking of riding SS first, seeing how it goes then manning up for FG?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    its a Pearson Touche.

sold the Gary Fisher Triton.

What do you ride? Presume you are an embankment / NKR / LRR regular?
  • Clever Pun
    I broke the axle on my aero warrior wheel... it looks fecked. waiting for a replacement

I blame my awesome power. be it legs or overtightening track nuts
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • maddernj
    maddernj Posts: 50
    I am only doing 3 days a week at the moment, 105ish miles a week is enough. Especially as my 3 year old has had a perm ear infection for winter and has been up at night and my 1 year old has had a cold / teething / ear infection since October (or so it seems)
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • Gussio
    its a Pearson Touche.

sold the Gary Fisher Triton.

What do you ride? Presume you are an embankment / NKR / LRR regular?

White Pompino with with red deep section Ambrosio rims. Don't stray down to the embankment - Richmond to Victoria via NKR. Angus J on Strava, if you are on there.

The Touche is a great bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Fog + cold made it hard work this morning let's see what a full rucksack does for the uphill homeward ride ;-(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    duff post
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Fog + cold made it hard work this morning let's see what a full rucksack does for the uphill homeward ride ;-(

Yep as expected that was horrid, i need to ease myself back into FGSS commuting, and that main road into Andover sucks balls big time - yuk!

Cold, dark loads of traffic foggy and totally unprepared for SS commuting, tomorrow I will be mostly using gears, lots of them ....
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vombida
    vombida Posts: 8
    Clever Pun wrote:
    vombida wrote:

or

really depends how you set the handle bars up and your shape really. Dolans get used a lot for general riding and get good reviews. if you can ride the 80 without too much struggle and have the bike set up in a more relaxed way, should be no problems.

so you're thinking of riding SS first, seeing how it goes then manning up for FG?

I dont have yet cleared on the type of commuter that fits me, cause on the one hand im got bored of groupsets, maintaining etc, but on the other im still very sceptical about being bonded on your bike and not having a chance to relax. (is that an aspect of fg riding or not?). Using a flip/flop with freewheel cog on the one side might be a solution but without a rear brake, im terrified at the idea of stoping among cars...
    Yesterday afternoon i visited a local store in Athens (thats were i live!) that specializes in ss/fg and had an interesting talk with the owner. He said that commuting is much easier with fg than it initially seems, is definitely faster even than road bikes (i still wonder how this stands..) and that i wont have issues once i got used to it. His comment on long distances, is that up to 50-60 km there is no big issue, but for longer rides muscle strains might occur.

Oh! I also saw both Dolan and Moda as frames and i got to say i fell in love with the Moda. Unfortunately i learned that none of the 2 frames has hole for rear brake :( . The guy said that in such a case it would lose all of what its offering. Setting the moda forte as a complete bike with entry-level ambrosio hubs and rims will cost me around 800euros. What you think of this price?
  • clarkey cat
    The issue with not being able to stop peddalling is quickly forgotten about and spinning your legs without apparent effort becomes just as relaxing as a not moving them at all.

I've never ridden my FG for more than 40km so cant comment.

If you plan on doing mileage then I'd be inclined to not get a track frame and get a specific FG road bike with geometry that is suited to tackling longer distances and more relaxed for commuting: Condor Tempo looks beautiful.
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    vombida wrote:
    Questions about comfort...

I had the Aluminum specialized Langster and did 50+ fixed miles hilly on it with no aches (apart from leg fatigue). I would wholly recomend it as a very comfortable bike, I'd say it's comfier than my pompino..
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Well, I've just flipped the rear wheel and given this FG lark a try.
    Not entirely convinced yet - I *like* freewheeling - but I'll see how it goes on the commute tomorrow. I'll probably fall in the river...
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I didn't 'get it' straight away, but it does come, well, it did for me.

Try it for a week or two and if you don't like it, change back to the black sheep of the single speed world.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    yes but FB you like live in the country think of the hills man think of the hills ....do they have hills near Reading?

We have hills lots and lots of hills :twisted:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Well, I made it into work intact - just one moment where I had to unclip with my feet in a sub-optimal position!

ITB - I live at the top of a BIG hill. Getting up it's fine (well, I can *just* make it), but on my FG trial run down it yesterday I nearly came off when I tried to freewheel.

Question for the FG afficionados - how do you deal with getting up/down kerbs ? (no, I'm not riding on the footpath apart from where it's allowed, before anyone starts).
    Misguided Idealist
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That's the most dangerous manouvre when you're getting used to FG - I faceplanted big stylee.

Going up kerbs is easy - powerstroke and a gentle shifting of weight backwards to kiss the front rubber up and over, and then unweight the back wheel as it goes over.

Going down kerbs? Exactly the same :-D

The problem is that this is EXACTLY the time where on a standard bike you freewheel - getting over the mental urge to do this is a big hurdle.

Note;
    Whilst learning please always wear track mitts as a minimum. I didn't and I have some really gory photos of the results - I took almost all the skin of the back of my right hand and wrist. Going up a kerb. Two years later (and still riding fixed!) the scars have almost gone.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    up and down curbs: carefully and slowly
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There are two things that I have never quite been able to do on a fixie:
    1: Bunny hop
    2: Endo (or stoppie) into a trackstand.

These are not just to look flash (but it is an added bonus) but useful for
    1: Avoiding hazards. I got a visit from the fairy because I couldn't jump a pothole a while back.
    2: So that I can stop at traffic lights on the line and have my feet in the perfect position to trackstand and make a quick getaway.

Must practice more. I suppose I should practice trackstanding with my non-chocolate foot forward too.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    Hmm, endo at lights and re-position pedals with the back wheel up and both feet clipped in. What a cool idea! I may have to give that a go....

I take it that you have the fixeh dismount down pat though? That is my absolute favourite (and blows other cyclists minds as most of them just can't work out how you do it unless they know about riding fixed).

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SimonAH wrote:
    I take it that you have the fixeh dismount down pat though? That is my absolute favourite (and blows other cyclists minds as most of them just can't work out how you do it unless they know about riding fixed).
    Which bit is this? Front brake on, lifting rear wheel with foot to spin into correct position thing?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Double post
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    SimonAH wrote:

what is this dismount of which you speak??
    <a>road</a>
  • SimonAH
    Lovely.

Unclip, grasp nose of saddle with left hand, let go of the bars whilst the left hand pedal lifts you out of the saddle and off the back of the bike landing on your right foot directly into walking, casually pushing the bike by the saddle.