• Anyone commute on one of these?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/col ... e-ec021227

Or is completely impractical?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Big gears mask poor technique.

Cheers,
    W.

Hmm - not so sure about that! Generally, I am a grinder as opposed to a spinner in terms of technique and I am more comfortable in "big" gears. 48:16, 48:15 and 50:15 are my general gears dependsing on time of year. I am back on 48:16 now.

Something like 81", 85" and 91" - I think!

My track technique seems to be okay, I am training most Sunday nights now on 91" gear. And am looking to race in the leagues over summer.

However, I have never been spinny on a geared bike - always preferred big chainsets and small cassettes. My old TT bike ran a 57 front chainring and my current road bike runs a full size chainset, only my MTB runs something near "normal".

I guess it is just different technique, I have massive thighs too.....so, I guess I gotta use them! And my commute mileage is only 20 miles a day with 2 hills (if I go to work and back directly!)

I need to be knackered when I get home as I use it as training - so, I do a few sprints and suchlike.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I was at a party with a hardcore courier girl on the weekend and she hasn't ridden her fixie for 2 years and is selling it. We are no longer fashionable, guys. *breathes sigh of relief
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    I was at a party with a hardcore courier girl on the weekend and she hasn't ridden her fixie for 2 years and is selling it. We are no longer fashionable, guys. *breathes sigh of relief

Were you ever? :D
  • biondino
    I aspire to avoid it wherever possible!!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    biondino wrote:
    I aspire to avoid it wherever possible!!

Aspire? I achieve it effortlessly...

Cheers,
    W.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    zerostar wrote:
    Anyone commute on one of these?

Doesn't look particularly impractical, what makes you think it would be?

Personally I'd be more concerned that commuting on faux-vintage bike that costs the best part of a grand and half would make me look like a bit of a knob.
  • il_principe
    _Brun_ wrote:
    zerostar wrote:

Doesn't look particularly impractical, what makes you think it would be?

Personally I'd be more concerned that commuting on faux-vintage bike that costs the best part of a grand and half would make me look like a bit of a knob.

Yeah but when you already look like a bit of a knob...
  • _Brun_
    If I'm only 'a bit' of the way towards looking a complete knob I'm reasonably happy. Glass half full and all that.
  • biondino
    julie161.jpg
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    zerostar wrote:

Right, I've finished drooling now.

I agree with _Brun_'s sentiments about commuting on such an expensive steed, inevitably it would end up grimy and "used" looking, which is not fair to such a nice bike.

IMHO, get a cheap hack for commuting, start saving again and ride the Colnago on dry days high days and holidays.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    The Colnago is very pretty but with those bars it wouldn't be a very comfy town bike.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Because bikes with gears are more complicated, inevitably the one I'm building up to replace my SS has a "non turn washer" of the incorrect type. So I have another week of commuting on the SS
  • anyone use those nice wooden fenders, flat bamboo kind, or know anyones tried em ?
    i read a few decent reviews but intrested in radar members take... probably be challanging to install on my skinny commuter, thats cool tho
    thank you
    RIDE On
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I noticed that some couriers have got a particular way of sitting when waiting at lights, they sort of rest on the top bar. Then i saw a picture of Greame Obree and see where the inspiration comes from!

Like this:

GO.jpg

:?
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Finally back on a fixed after my old one got nicked. Unfortunately, rather than the rather cool retro looking early 80's Peugeot I had before I've now got a black Create I got cheap off ebay.

Ex demo for £170 and the back wheel is already making strange ticking noises after only 5 miles. It's got a car valve on the front, presta on the back and I've spent as much time tightening bits up as I have riding it so far.

Oh well, can't argue with the price and I guess I can treat it as the basis for a project rather than the finished article. I've a longer stem and a set of drop bars in the loft that are the first step.

Can't decide whether to keep the old brakes on them or use the bmx-style levers that came with the Create.
  • Where does this whole wrecking your knees rubbish come from??

I cant see any difference between techniques... i dont understand where the whole its going to wreck your knees can come from...

ole lance armstrong rides a fixed as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCPEzdZs5s the man can really spin fast!

Was going to go and test out the new cycle computer today but I am not well so just looking at videos of what I want to be doing instead :oops:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    Where does this whole wrecking your knees rubbish come from??

I cant see any difference between techniques... i dont understand where the whole its going to wreck your knees can come from...

when you brake using your legs (moreso in larger GI's) you put stresses on your knees that they aren't really designed for

I find standing to slow and using your weight against the upstroke combats this
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    Where does this whole wrecking your knees rubbish come from??
    ... :

Good question... I'm assuming you mean by riding fixed on big gears, rather than using leg-braking...I don't know that there's any "scientific" basis for it. I've certainly seen people claim that there's no medical evidence that it's a problem (though lack of evidence may indicate lack of research, rather than lack of results).
    However quite a lot of people (myself included) get more knee pain when grinding a big gear than when spinning a smaller one at the same speed... If you interpret pain as a warning of potential damage then that suggests spinning might be better for the joints than grinding. It's not data, let alone evidence, but I'm inclined to listen to my body on this one.
    I guess it depends a bit on what you're trying to achieve, too. If you're riding fixed to build strength, then there's something to be said for having to push hard uphill, if you're improving technique, smoothness, "souplesse", then a lower gear would probably suit.
    If you're riding fixed for fun and utility, then whatever is most comfortable (ie hurts least) may be the best option!!!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    If you're really pushing to get started, or to accelerate, which is when the stresses are greatest, I think you can help your knees out by standing up and altering your load/using your weight to mash the pedals.

I tried a weeny skid or two earlier and I think I just about get how it works, though I feel I'm practically wrenching my shoulders out of their sockets in the process. This can't be right, right?
  • _Brun_
    biondino wrote:
    I tried a weeny skid or two earlier and I think I just about get how it works, though I feel I'm practically wrenching my shoulders out of their sockets in the process. This can't be right, right?
    That's what it felt like to me too. After the first afternoon's messing about me arms were killing me.

Think a lot of it is just down to the technique of unloading the back wheel, think skipping rather than skidding. Gonna be perfect weather for practising tomorrow. :)
  • il_principe
    DO A SKID YOU RACIST!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    DO A SKID YOU RACIST!
    Shut up c***
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I skidded the other day... all by accident I kinda forgot to pedal and pushed down locking the back wheel trying to coast... all on purpose of course 8)

I dont see the point of the skidding tho.... most of what i have seen on youtube they are basically just balancing on the front wheel. although theres a good one of someone doing a skid stop during a track race to scrub some speed on a turn :P

• check this out for fixed gear control :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-z0Kh0p ... re=related

amazing is the only word that comes to mind :shock:

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I blame the Conti GP 4 Seasons for not being able to skid mine...very grippy, that and £35 a pop........ :shock:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I dont see the point of the skidding tho.... most of what i have seen on youtube they are basically just balancing on the front wheel. although theres a good one of someone doing a skid stop during a track race to scrub some speed on a turn :P

Skidding is handy when riding brakeless
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i hit 52kmp/h on my fixie last night on the flat. and then tonight i started trying to sprint in the same place and cramped up in my calves.

cramp + fixie = Really really really bad news.
  • biondino
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Skippy2309 wrote:

Having a donor card is handy when riding brakeless.
  • _Brun_
    biondino wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    Having a donor card is handy when riding brakeless.
    In the unlikely event that any useful organs survive.