Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I dont see the point of the skidding tho.... most of what i have seen on youtube they are basically just balancing on the front wheel. although theres a good one of someone doing a skid stop during a track race to scrub some speed on a turn :P
    Skidding is handy when riding brakeless
    Having a donor card is handy when riding brakeless.
    In the unlikely event that any useful organs survive.

dibs on your liver :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'll take the beard.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    I'll take the beard.

You'll need more hair than that, baldylocks. :wink:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Ok as predicted a few weeks ago I am no longer single speeding!

I got a rather nice Cotic Roadrat frame/fork with horizontal dropouts,
    The frame has massive clearances, it would probably take 50mm tyres.
    And it is a delicous black colour, v. shiney

A lot of you fiends would love to use as a fixed.

But I got an Alfine 8 speed hub gear and fitted that. it looks pretty good and well sealed ( it's a MTB part really ) but we'll see how it holds up commuting in Devon

I am giving away my old Tange frame. It's totally shagged to be honest.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:
    I'll take the beard.

You'll need more hair than that, baldylocks. :wink:

In which case, I'll take your barmaid girlfriend.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    I'll take the beard.

Careful you'll get a meercat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Meerkin

:)
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Meerkin

:lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • OK, relatively new to FGSS, so forgive the ignorance......

I have Kona Paddywagon which came with a flip-flop hub as standard (16T both sides) which I have been riding as a SS. I am loving the simplicity and lightweight of the bike (particularly relative to my other commuting bike - a h****d :roll: !!) so am riding it more and more!!

However, recently the Dicta 16T freewheel has started making some distinctly dodgy noises - a bit clanky and a bit rattle-y - so I am guessing that the winter weather (it lives outside :oops: ) has taken its toll and it is time for a new freewheel.....

...so while I could MTFU and go fixed, what do I need to replace it?

A quick bit of googling thows up Dicta, Shimano, White Industries as options, but I have no real idea what I need (1/8" vs 3/32") or what tools I need to get the old one off and new one on, so any help is much appreciated

Cheers in advance
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Dicta have a dodgy reputation, as you probably saw from your googling (see this thread on LFGSS).

I have used a Shimano 18T and 17T for a while and they've both been superb, completely silent and free running, so I'd definitely suggest getting one of those. Removing the Dicta might be a bit of a pain as they need a specific tool by the looks of it, and a different one for the Shimano.

If you're changing the freewheel, the chain could probably do with a change as well, so if you pick up a 1/8" chain at the same time, you won't have any compatibility issues.

Of course, you could just drop into a friendly bike shop and get them to do it, as it's a 10 minute job, but if you get the right tools now, you can use them again in the future. Pop into Brixton or Cavendish if they're close by and they'll set you up with the right stuff.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Thanks for the info guys - been doing some more goolging of my own too

Seems to be a straight choice between the semi-budget ACS or Shimano (and expecting reasonably regular replacements) or blowing a good chunk of cash on the WI ENO (and a bit of irregular maintenance) - hmmm decisions, decisions!

My googling would also suggest the current chain is 3/32" (KMC Z50) - it is not that old or worn (c.2 months use), so I wasn't planning on changing it - is it compatible with the ACS/Shimano/WI freewheels or am I going to need to get a 1/8" chain too? Any recommendations? If I switch, will I have any compatibility issues with the chainring?

Looking more closely, I think the current Dicta has the right holes for the standard 4 prong/spline tools which Shimano and ACS certainly use (and I think WI too), so that all seems relatively simple to switch them over when I have made my choice.

Thanks again for the help
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    If there's a chance of changing your gearing in the future, pick up a Shimano, if you're happy and have the cash, then the WI will last forever. I use Shimano, because I keep switching between 18T and 17T depending on my knees. Once I find the ideal gear for me, I'll probably pick up a WI.

Nice cheap Shimano freewheels available from here, about half the price of Wiggle. It's 3/32", so will work on your existing set-up.

Assuming it's the same tool for all of them, this should sort you out: SJS
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I run a White industries 16t, fecking thing is indestructible, in the long run it'll pay for itself.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm fairly new to cycling but uber competitive, full throttle at all times and an SCR addict. Problem is I'm still more capable of high power in bursts than endurance (getting better though), snapped my chain on a stiff climb in top on the way home today.

What's your recommendation for gearing for my style of riding to go SS or fixed? I've a reasonably light 7005 roadie, was thinking of sitting in one gear for a week to see how I get on...... Route is a mix of a couple of reasonably short hard climbs and some fast downsweeps (44mph).

Can this even be done fixed or would my legs come off at the hips?

I throw myself at the feet of your experience...... :?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I ride 74.5 GI and that's good enough to get me up most hills. But if i wanted to get to 44mph i'd need to spin at 200rpm (doable by a limited number of people)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cheers Odjob, I'll do some tooth counting in a minute and work out the correct gear to sit in!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Oddjob62
  • Clever Pun
    I use a miche system that allows me to swap over the cogs really easy, saying that I sit at 48-16 and have done for ages
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Can anyone spot what's wrong with my FGSS

688b7d9922ab4103a56df73a02145df1.jpg

:roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    your pedals aren't aligned with the down tube that or your tyres are inflated
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    your pedals aren't aligned with the down tube that or your tyres are inflated

Ha ha!
  • Oddjob62
    No front spok
  • itboffin
    My old FGSS is now my winter commute country hack and my old tour is now my old London commuter FGSS

Winter hack
    ec7317425b6a442dac431396c83c4409.jpg

London FGSS
    229ffe79f8394ec980146d1635332aba.jpg
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    What on earth is going on with those brake cables?
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    What on earth is going on with those brake cables?

Only the right one works, even with 57mm long reach brakes I can't get the rear to contact the rim.
  • Clever Pun
    ride it fixed and remove the back brake
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ride it fixed and remove the back brake

You must have read my mind, apart from swapping the front wheel over with the hack, it's now fixed with only a front brake :shock:

Will give it a go Waterloo to KX mid next week :shock:
  • Oddjob62
    itboffin wrote:
    it's now fixed with only a front brake :shock:

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    I take it the Mercian frame was built for 27" wheels rather than 700c hence the brake issue (or have I got that the wrong way round)?

EDIT: I ask because there is an old 10-speed with 27" wheels hanging up in my parents garage that I am tempted to get back on the road (when I have the time)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition