Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I did a long ride on the geard roadie at the weekend and enjoyed it more than the fixie I think. Hmm maybe I will have to add a geared commute bike build to the queue, behind my full-sus MTB build ;)

Busted!!! :lol:

A thinly disguised excuse to buy another bike I'll wager :D

No need for that here el_p! We all know where you are coming from...

What do you have your eye on then???
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Surely what you are waiting for is:

http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/2008/09/s3x-fixed-gear-3-speed.html

the best of both worlds, perhaps....

My current thinking on the ideal commuting bike has one of these (or a close-ratio alternative, should it become available) on a steel road frame with mudguards and drop bars.

Cheers,
    W.
  • don_don wrote:
    I did a long ride on the geard roadie at the weekend and enjoyed it more than the fixie I think. Hmm maybe I will have to add a geared commute bike build to the queue, behind my full-sus MTB build ;)

Busted!!! :lol:

A thinly disguised excuse to buy another bike I'll wager :D

No need for that here el_p! We all know where you are coming from...

What do you have your eye on then???

haha

sadly I'm goign to struggel seeing as I have a) my old Giant SCR which only needs new wheels & a chainset, would be perfect as it is nice and racy and also has mudguard & rakc eyelets OR b) my old Stumpjumper which is about to be superseded by the aforementioned full-sus build and would be very nice with slicks & rigid forks.... oh dilemma ;0
    <a>road</a>
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

I so nearly broke the skid record for a fixie this morning. Coming down the Alp de Marlow and either I gained speed faster than normal or my legs weren't in a spinning mood because I suddenly found I had overtaken them and just like that the back wheel skipped and locked.

It really isn't a nice sensation doing high twenties and hearing your back tyre skidding. It is an even worse sensation when your back tyre stops skidding and your legs kick in again without warning sending the back of the bike squirming all over the place.

I had to concentrate so hard on trying make my legs spin faster to control the squirm and to brake on the front to bring my speed down to give my legs a chance to catch up.

That was 20 minutes ago and my heart rate still hasn't come down. If I don't post again in a few minutes can someone send an ambulance please? :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I serviced the hub on my SS this afternoon, never seen a cup that cracked and pitted before and I checked it about 3 months ago, what could have caused that?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Feltup
    Lots of salt and grit on the roads with all the icy weather?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • itboffin
    Wow what a difference it makes having new cups, bearings and axle, such a cheap repair as well.

I love my SS :D
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    :lol: Feltup.... glad you didn't stack it though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Feltup
    Thanks! Took it much easier this morning, don't think the ticker can take too many more moments like those.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Ectomorph
    Ectomorph Posts: 69
    Feltup's account reminds me of my first ride out on a new fixed late last year.

The guy in the shop advised riding free for a couple of weeks to get used to the bike; advice I happily & robustly ignored. Hence, 90 seconds into my morning ride, quite fast (25+) down the quite steep hill upon which I reside, I'm thinking "well this is ok, I'm spinning, I'm feathering the brakes, all ok so far". Then something happens; my right brain decides to free-wheel. Jesus Christ! WHAT'S HAPPENING? I'm all over the place, right-brain is fighting the pedals, I'm on the wrong side of the road, I'm swearing loudly & I don't know what the f***'s going on... I AM GOING TO DIE!

After what felt like three minutes but was probably three seconds at the most, my groggy, monday-morning left-brain finally worked out what was going on & sent out an urgent one-word instruction: PEDAL! I pedalled, regained control, got back on the right side of the road, checked to see who was watching & pedalled off uttering prayers of thanks that there was no traffic coming up the hill just at that moment. The rest of the ride was uneventful (slow) but I did feel phisically sick & I did get two or three small kickings. It's surprising how quickly it's etched deep into your sub-concious to keep the pedals moving though.

Ecto.

Must. Keep. Pedalling.
    Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • itboffin
    I've tried fixed but around these parts it's just not fun, I'm saving my Miche sprockets for my next @ work bike :wink:

By the way SSFG if you've not tried a Miche 1/8" track chain GET ONE NOW!

Not only do they look the business (v. important) they're rock solid and just seem to shed muck, forever clean :)

Cheap too

No jash they do not come in diff colours :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    I've tried fixed but around these parts it's just not fun, I'm saving my Miche sprockets for my next @ work bike :wink:

Not only do they look the business (v. important) they're rock solid and just seem to shed muck, forever clean :)

Cheap too

Dammit! :D
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    itboffin wrote:

Cheap too

Is it a half link? I heart half link chains.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Cheap too

Is it a half link? I heart half link chains.

No but if they did one then it would surely be the ultimate chain, I might just go and give it a little wipe down, ooooh shiny :oops: :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Latest fixie build.

From this:

201e_1.jpg

to this:

IMG_1112.jpg

Have to sell it though :-(
  • itboffin
    Did you use a stem adapter on that project?
  • gtvlusso
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep - Velo Orange Quill adaptor from www.freshtripe.co.uk

Was gonna use a proper quill stem, but someone may want to change the reach - easier to get hold of pinch bolt stems of differing lengths.
  • Clever Pun
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Was gonna use a proper quill stem, but someone may want to change the reach - easier to get hold of pinch bolt stems of differing lengths.

stem adaptor... :?:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    Clever Pun wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

stem adaptor... :?:

Yeah Cp.

Converts 1" threaded forks (which need a "Quill Stem" to a 1 and 1/8th" pinch bolt type stem as used on most bike today.

Old skool and that!
  • Clever Pun
    ah I get ya... I thought for a secone it might be seatpost related... I'm have trouble deciding/finding what I want

26.2 nitto or campag aero post in massive size
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hey,
    Biondino... have you tried out the Bob Jackson, yet?

I know you were having rib problems... any news?

In other news.. the Winter Hack is rolling again- I got a frame from a local eBayer (Dawes Linear- anyone know owt about these?) and have got it mostly built up... rode in on it this morning and it's miles better than the old gas-pipe special. I'm going to need to re-gear it (was ~63", looking for ~69") 'cos it's lighter & I'm fitter! 20T sprocket on order... I need to find a short-drop back brake, though, nothing in my parts bin (maybe that should just be "bin"... :-) ) will fit.

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ah I get ya... I thought for a secone it might be seatpost related... I'm have trouble deciding/finding what I want

Vernier calipers are the way forward - measure the internal diameter of the seatpost tube. Seatposts are a tricky one for sizes - cannot rely on 27.2 does all - I love the Campy ones, but they are a bit short for my frame and seat height (I like a slightly smaller frame and a high seat)

As for gearing: I generally run 48T or 50T to 16T or 15T - gives me between 80" and 90" gear. I have quite a few hills to climb and sometimes take a 20 mile route home - have a flip flop hub and carry a spare smaller ring just in case I knacker myself.

My personal bike (as the one in the pic is for sale on this website) is away being painted. I brazed my own track fork ends in - will put a pic up when completed.

Must say, I like the Bob Jackson frame - very keenly priced too. May be a purchase when I am flush again!

Show us a pic Biondino!
  • gtvlusso
    Oh - I sold the Raliegh Banana fixie for £170 - was quite chuffed with that!
  • Clever Pun
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Vernier calipers are the way forward - measure the internal diameter of the seatpost tube. Seatposts are a tricky one for sizes - cannot rely on 27.2 does all - I love the Campy ones, but they are a bit short for my frame and seat height (I like a slightly smaller frame and a high seat)

Does anyone have some I can borrow??? it's certainly worth a beer

I'm pretty sure of the size but it's my eye and a measuring tape

Note I did measure my legs but decided not to post details :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just seen these beauties from Phil Wood, Uber Bling!

1236191877983-1qlmnwucb4c3x-798-75.jpg
  • itboffin
    Just seen these beauties from Phil Wood, Uber Bling!

1236191877983-1qlmnwucb4c3x-798-75.jpg

I'm downloading that for personal use :oops:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey,
    Biondino... have you tried out the Bob Jackson, yet?

I know you were having rib problems... any news?

Thanks for asking, Buns - the ribs are healing (I'm 90% sure they're healing, anyway) but I haven't been on a bike since the day of the a accident 12 days ago. As a result the Bob Jackson is still with its previous owner in New Cross, although my cash is also with him so I really do need to pick it up! But I don't want my first ride with dodgy ribs to be 12 miles through London on a fixie - am tempted to drive over and pick it up instead.

So no - other than the 5 mins of low-speed pootling when I tried the bike out, I haven't had the opportunity! Really looking forward to it though. And believe me, I'll post lots of pics when it's mine!
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Ouch...hope the ribs are healing fast. I'd pick up the bike by car if it was me I reckon!

Re. posts on chains from yesterday, I've gotr a KMC BMX chain, 'nails' and has really nicely styled links
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    right, you guys, go gently with me

I have just bought an old peugeot racer with horizontal dropouts to turn into a SS for a bit more WTFU power for the summer commute

ITB has very kindly done "phase one" (removed gears and put the chain on for me),and then tells me I have a death trap on my hands as I need a new back wheel.

Do I just go to the LBS and ask for one? Is there a good place online to get such things?

It's a 700 wheel.

Chars and all that
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    tiz some good reading here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html