Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    the surly ones are pretty nice CP

SURLY%20TUGNUT(2).JPG

yeah?
    will go nicely on the mills... cheers

@CP I have one of these you can have. Yours for a pint of Deuchars @ Morpeth!
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106

Potentially dumb blonde question : do you only need the one?
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • il_principe
    Yep, only 1 chain to be tensioned you see...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:
    the surly ones are pretty nice CP

SURLY%20TUGNUT(2).JPG

yeah?
    will go nicely on the mills... cheers

You sir, have a deal
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    CP has you chain been going slack after rides?

I went out on the SS this afternoon foolishly without the usual pre ride check, I might have my chain a bit too tight, if you turn the pedals backwards and the wheel goes back like a fixed wheel then that's too tight right?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:

I went out on the SS this afternoon foolishly without the usual pre ride check, I might have my chain a bit too tight, if you turn the pedals backwards and the wheel goes back like a fixed wheel then that's too tight right?

only after a week or two, just one less thing to be dealing with

how much slack do you have on it?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • ITB slacken it a bit, if it's easier then it was too tight!

Nice chain tug! Tart central... :D
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

only after a week or two, just one less thing to be dealing with

how much slack do you have on it?

At the moment you could use it as a chainsaw - I have a tension device but it looks buggly
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    don't you mean fugly?

you should have some slack there you crazy fool
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    don't you mean fugly?

you should have some slack there you crazy fool

I know I know but recently i've been suffering from dark...! no wait wrong forum, I've been suffering with a kangaroo chain resulting in several scary moments, the chain starts of fine and by the end of the ride it looks as baggy as my arse, I'm thinking I need new axle nuts and or surgery.
  • itboffin
    this may have been answered here already but i'll ask again anyway.

Does an overly tight or loose chain effect the speed/power you can apply?

I hope the answer is yes :oops:
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Surely a slack chain is only a problem on a fixed really isn't it? Or am I missing something here?

As for the ride out to Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaafend, we stopped at Leigh Old Town which is much nicer. Had a spot of lunch then hammered it back. On the way out with me suffering repeated mechanicals and 1 rider suffereing repeated bum-anichals (see what I did there) we took a torpid 4 1/4 hours. Coming back we hit rush hour traffic most of the way but still managed a reasonable 3 hours. It's 37 miles each way, so ave speed doesn't sound like much but givent his was an over extended commute the pace seemed pretty high all the time.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    Surely a slack chain is only a problem on a fixed really isn't it? Or am I missing something here?

As for the ride out to Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaafend, we stopped at Leigh Old Town which is much nicer. Had a spot of lunch then hammered it back. On the way out with me suffering repeated mechanicals and 1 rider suffereing repeated bum-anichals (see what I did there) we took a torpid 4 1/4 hours. Coming back we hit rush hour traffic most of the way but still managed a reasonable 3 hours. It's 37 miles each way, so ave speed doesn't sound like much but givent his was an over extended commute the pace seemed pretty high all the time.

Is it really only 37 miles? From London? That's a lot closer than I thought!

And I can see that if you have your chain tightened to epic levels on a SS that would cause you some problems, and a slack chain might still jump off...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    steve-m wrote:
    I'd say Muswell Hill is harder than Highgate hill, but haven't tried west hill on the Langster yet though (nor Swains lane), though when I do Muswell HIll - like just now, I am laden with two panniers having been to the market at Ally Pally. Have to be carefull with the knees too building up sensibly (Is that word allowed on this thread/forum)
    Made it up Swains Lane last night on the way to drinks with the fgss mob. The peer pressure definitely helps a bunch, but I must be a hell of a lot fitter than six months ago when it felt harder on the roadie. Might get out this weekend and give Muswell Hill a shot, although it will be without the vegetable laden panniers.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    CP, did you go along to that as well. What were the drinks like? I wanted to go but had been away for 3 nights already so thought I'd best spend the evening with Mrs L :)
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    CP, did you go along to that as well. What were the drinks like? I wanted to go but had been away for 3 nights already so thought I'd best spend the evening with Mrs L :)

was good actually and considering there were north drinks as well... puts us lot to shame. About 12 people when I left around 8.30 and 5 pints down... cycled home fast.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    North drinks was impressive last night. About fifteen folk headed up there from Trafalgar Square, and there must've been at least thirty up at the Flask for the majority of the evening. A lot of people seemed to be heading back South afterwards, so had only made the trip up to Highgate for the hill and the beers, good effort.
  • What is this north drinks of which you speak? A FSGSGSGSGSSSS thing?
  • Clever Pun
    What is this north drinks of which you speak? A FSGSGSGSGSSSS thing?

yup they have north, south, south east, east and west drinks each on a day during the week and loads of people go, kinda like ours but someone will always be there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • steve-m
    _Brun_ wrote:
    steve-m wrote:
    I'd say Muswell Hill is harder than Highgate hill, but haven't tried west hill on the Langster yet though (nor Swains lane), though when I do Muswell HIll - like just now, I am laden with two panniers having been to the market at Ally Pally. Have to be carefull with the knees too building up sensibly (Is that word allowed on this thread/forum)
    Made it up Swains Lane last night on the way to drinks with the fgss mob. The peer pressure definitely helps a bunch, but I must be a hell of a lot fitter than six months ago when it felt harder on the roadie. Might get out this weekend and give Muswell Hill a shot, although it will be without the vegetable laden panniers.

Damn you, now I have to try it tonight. :evil:
  • steve-m
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

was good actually and considering there were north drinks as well... puts us lot to shame. About 12 people when I left around 8.30 and 5 pints down... cycled home fast.

Never been to the lfgss drinks, Is it still at the Flask - what is it like since it is now a Fullers pub.
  • Clever Pun
    steve-m wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

Never been to the lfgss drinks, Is it still at the Flask - what is it like since it is now a Fullers pub.

I was at the Kings Arms SE drinks.... the flask is still the north drinks I think
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I've been reading the lfgss site this afternoon.

I find it a bit trendy...
  • Clever Pun
    I've been reading the lfgss site this afternoon.

check out the misc part for this kinda places feel
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • il_principe
    I've been reading the lfgss site this afternoon.

Yeah, it's "achingly hip."

I do enjoy the language though, and some of the graphics people come up with are superb.
  • itboffin
    I lurk there sometimes but find the general flow too cool & hip for old me plus I fcuking hate potty mouth talk :lol:

I will loosen off the chain tomorrow, as my car is off the road atm I'm forced to ride the 18 miles each way for an appointment tomorrow, i'm going to look mental all sweaty and covered in mud, good job it's not a job interview - no wait :(
  • steve-m
    steve-m wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    steve-m wrote:

Damn you, now I have to try it tonight. :evil:

Well it is still steep - probably my limit on the vertical bit near the end - so you should have no probs up Muswell hill without veg
  • _Brun_
    Nice work! Feels great when you get to the top doesn't it? Hope you treated yerself to a well deserved pint, the Pride was decent enough last night.

In lieu of panniers, I will attempt Muswell Hill while towing a particularly watery melon.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    _Brun_ wrote:
    North drinks was impressive last night. About fifteen folk headed up there from Trafalgar Square, and there must've been at least thirty up at the Flask for the majority of the evening. A lot of people seemed to be heading back South afterwards, so had only made the trip up to Highgate for the hill and the beers, good effort.

The Flask is a lovely pub. At least it used to be when I lived there 11 years ago. Now I feel old.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."