Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    North drinks was impressive last night. About fifteen folk headed up there from Trafalgar Square, and there must've been at least thirty up at the Flask for the majority of the evening. A lot of people seemed to be heading back South afterwards, so had only made the trip up to Highgate for the hill and the beers, good effort.

The Flask is a lovely pub. At least it used to be when I lived there 11 years ago. Now I feel old.

You lived in a pub :shock: Good man :lol:

In other news, my sodding chain came off again last night. I've duly fitted a new chain (a red KMC one, Bling). The old chain was actually quite stretched. I guess running a big gear on SS is bound to increase chain wear really, but I would expect KMC to last longer.

Cleaned the bike last night as well, white wheels and hubs all lovely and then it rains this am. Grrrrrrr.
  • cjcp wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    North drinks was impressive last night. About fifteen folk headed up there from Trafalgar Square, and there must've been at least thirty up at the Flask for the majority of the evening. A lot of people seemed to be heading back South afterwards, so had only made the trip up to Highgate for the hill and the beers, good effort.

The Flask is a lovely pub. At least it used to be when I lived there 11 years ago. Now I feel old.

You lived in a pub :shock: Good man :lol:

In other news, my sodding chain came off again last night. I've duly fitted a new chain (a red KMC one, Bling). The old chain was actually quite stretched. I guess running a big gear on SS is bound to increase chain wear really, but I would expect KMC to last longer.

Cleaned the bike last night as well, white wheels and hubs all lovely and then it rains this am. Grrrrrrr.

Again I may be talking b0llocks here, but this is one of the reasons I was told that half-link chains are good - they stand up better to the stress of pushing a big gear.

May be something to consider...
  • il_principe
    Yeah I may try one. Just had a spare KMC at home so whacked it on.
  • I also find they run smoother. KMC do one that is specifcally designed for small sprockets - all the way down to a 9t - which is what I have on the bowery.
  • il_principe
    hang on, you have the chain on the Bowery or a 9t? :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Guys - can you tell me if you think this is a nice bike, and approx how much you think it should cost?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12607533
  • hang on, you have the chain on the Bowery or a 9t? :shock:

The chain the chain the chain.... :shock: :D
  • biondino wrote:
    Guys - can you tell me if you think this is a nice bike, and approx how much you think it should cost?

It doesn't matter if WE think it's a nice bike, it's whether YOU think it's a nice bike! I can't see the pictures because of the evil net nanny, but it looks from the google that it's listed on www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk at £345...
  • il_principe
    biondino wrote:

Lovely. A very sought after frame actually, and Nitto bars are "desirable" and NJS certified (i think) - something some place much stock in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Jitensha_Shink%C5%8Dkai

It looks bigger than a 56 though.

Also - excellent hubs, in fact it is very well equipped all round. God knows on price though, components alone must be worth a decent whack. ie - hubs @ £70 +, bars @ £30 +, chainring £180?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Just sold the Raleigh Banana Fixie for £170! Dead chuffed as the frame was £25 and the parts were about £50!

Have a Hill Special frame at Argos cycles in Bristol being re-sprayed Cambridge Blue - will build something very special out of it, quality components only. Will then sell it on!

The Barron will undergo a re-spray soon too - getting surface rust after riding in the wet and road salt.

Bob Jackson stuff looks grea though! May be some cash going his way for the track frameset!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

Lovely. A very sought after frame actually, and Nitto bars are "desirable" and NJS certified (i think) - something some place much stock in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Jitensha_Shink%C5%8Dkai

It looks bigger than a 56 though.

Also - excellent hubs, in fact it is very well equipped all round. God knows on price though, components alone must be worth a decent whack. ie - hubs @ £70 +, bars @ £30 +, chainring £180?

those hubs would be over £200 new... best of the best.

Nice bike, shares a lot of componentry with my project :)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Nice work! Feels great when you get to the top doesn't it? Hope you treated yerself to a well deserved pint, the Pride was decent enough last night.
    I wish, was already planning on going to the gym so just carried on, did a bit less on the legs than usual though.

It did however make me think it could be an interesting pub crawl though maybe a pint after every other hill.
    In lieu of panniers, I will attempt Muswell Hill while towing a particularly watery melon.

I think my next one to try is Bittacy hill near Mill Hill East, have cycled it on the roadie a number of time and it part of one of my more hilly runs
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • biondino
    Thanks for your help, guys. I'm going to test ride the bike, hopefully tomorrow. Any other (informed) guesses on the total price would be very useful! LiT, I found the frame for £345, yep, that's the one, thanks for the pointer!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nice bike Biondio but I suspect you're going to have to pay through the nose for that level of finish.

Would it be a sin to have a SS with 2 poss 3 cogs at the rear? I love my el cheapo SS but really would like to have the option of perhaps high/med/low without running a full geared bike or a heavy old SA hub.

44 upfront
    16, 17, 18 at the back

Is that even possible?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    Nice bike Biondio but I suspect you're going to have to pay through the nose for that level of finish.

Would it be a sin to have a SS with 2 poss 3 cogs at the rear? I love my el cheapo SS but really would like to have the option of perhaps high/med/low without running a full geared bike or a heavy old SA hub.

44 upfront
    16, 17, 18 at the back

Is that even possible?

Yes and yes:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart5.htm

http://www.whiteind.com/singlespeedgearing/freewheels.html
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:

BD that is a very high specced bike. As CP said the hubs alone are more than 200 quid. I'd put it up towards a grand to be honest with that level of spec.

If you fancy a shiny Sunday best fixed ride, I'll be selling this one soon before i head to Kenya. Would be looking for around 400 for it. You get first dibs if you're interested.

Gareth.jpg

It's a Raleigh Superbe frame, resprayed recently, fitted with Raleigh original headset, BB and cranks. Vintage Maillord hubs laced to Velocity Deep V rims and Nitto Radonneur bars with handstiched elk-hide bar covers
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    biondino wrote:

Mmmn, yummy!

What it's worth? Hmm, I'd reckon the fact that it's slightly used would pretty much offset the cost of building it up, so it's probably worth the value of the parts.

It's more expensive to build a bike like this than to buy a production one, 'cos there's no economy of scale.... OTOH, this is more "desireable" than an OTP.

Bottom line- if it's exactly what you want, it's a good deal for the price of the parts. If you would have specced it differently then it's worth less to you than your own custom build would be, so factor down accordingly.

It's worth what you're prepared to pay for it... If it's exactly what you want then that could be substantially more than the value of the parts, if it isn't, then quite a bit less...

A bit of googling and some ebay research should get you pretty close....

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    Thanks again all! Litts, that is a lovely bike too! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow and if the bike/price isn't right I'll be in touch for a test ride...

Ta :)
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    itboffin wrote:

44 upfront
    16, 17, 18 at the back

Is that even possible?

Yes and yes:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart5.htm

http://www.whiteind.com/singlespeedgearing/freewheels.html

Well I didn't know they did those as well...

I've just bought a Surly Dingle from charliethebikemonger. Not received it yet but I hope it might be an easier answer to hilly rides.

You could potentially run one of each on a fixed/free hub and have 2 fixed gears for speed and 2 free for the hills!!
  • Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    biondino wrote:

BD that is a very high specced bike. As CP said the hubs alone are more than 200 quid. I'd put it up towards a grand to be honest with that level of spec.

If you fancy a shiny Sunday best fixed ride, I'll be selling this one soon before i head to Kenya. Would be looking for around 400 for it. You get first dibs if you're interested.

Gareth.jpg

It's a Raleigh Superbe frame, resprayed recently, fitted with Raleigh original headset, BB and cranks. Vintage Maillord hubs laced to Velocity Deep V rims and Nitto Radonneur bars with handstiched elk-hide bar covers

with that frame what's your seatpost size?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I put a little more slack in the chain but still the cranks move backwards or forwards like a fixed.

My freewheel is new so is the chain and cranks and chain ring, that really only leaves the rear axle I think?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Clever Pun wrote:

Diametre is 25.2 length...not sure.

Or am I missing a joke again :?

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    don_don wrote:

Well I didn't know they did those as well...

I've just bought a Surly Dingle from charliethebikemonger. Not received it yet but I hope it might be an easier answer to hilly rides.

You could potentially run one of each on a fixed/free hub and have 2 fixed gears for speed and 2 free for the hills!!

Sheldon Brown[RIP]'s site has a section on some exotic fixies he built along these lines- you can use a double chainset as well, or instead, depending on what you want to achieve.
    The limiting factor is the amount of adustment you have in your track-ends or dropouts to accomodate the different chain lengths you get. Not an issue if you have a SS with a tensioner but a challenge if you ride fixed.

I ran a 48/52 double on my winter hack (before the frame rusted out :-( ) against a 22T rear sprocket. This gave me either a 64" or 56" gear, whereas the dingle typically gives you a bigger difference between options since the ratio change is more dramatic at the rear.

I probably won't use this setup again, though, after the first few months I didn't bother changing it.

Roll on s3x... though I'm not convinced the ratios are ideal....

Cheers,
    W.
  • don_don
    The limiting factor is the amount of adustment you have in your track-ends or dropouts to accomodate the different chain lengths you get. Not an issue if you have a SS with a tensioner but a challenge if you ride fixed.

I ran a 48/52 double on my winter hack (before the frame rusted out :-( ) against a 22T rear sprocket. This gave me either a 64" or 56" gear, whereas the dingle typically gives you a bigger difference between options since the ratio change is more dramatic at the rear.

I probably won't use this setup again, though, after the first few months I didn't bother changing it.

Roll on s3x... though I'm not convinced the ratios are ideal....

Cheers,
    W.

I take your point. I've got the 17/19 coming, which seems to be a reasonable gap without too much difference in chain 'length'. It was partly curiosity on my part, coupled with a desire to make gear changes easier on hilly rides.

I had a look at the prototype s3x at the Cycle expo last year. Seems like an interesting idea but I hope they can make it a bit lighter. It felt like it weighted about a kilo.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    You know that fitting anything more than a single cog means you are not single/fixed speed and will be asked to leave the thread. You will be pariahed, stuck between the world of fixed/single and that of multiple gears where people can change gear at will.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Diametre is 25.2 length...not sure.

Or am I missing a joke again :?

nope just wanted to know, thanks

I've not got round to measuring mine yet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Littigator
    They come in.2mm differntials and you need the spot on right one. I found this out to my error when I bought a 25.4 instead of a 25.2 :evil:

• don_don
    Feltup wrote:
    You know that fitting anything more than a single cog means you are not single/fixed speed and will be asked to leave the thread. You will be pariahed, stuck between the world of fixed/single and that of multiple gears where people can change gear at will.

Strictly speaking, on that basis, you could argue that the unicycle is the only true fixed/single speed :P

Personally, I'm not too uncomfortable with the idea of experimenting outside the boundaries of what is accepted/acceptable. Call me 'bi-fixual' if you will :)
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    don_don wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

Strictly speaking, on that basis, you could argue that the unicycle is the only true fixed/single speed :P

Personally, I'm not too uncomfortable with the idea of experimenting outside the boundaries of what is accepted/acceptable. Call me 'bi-fixual' if you will :)

You like two rings then? (come back GregT it just aint the same coming from me)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Dear all

I have a spare frame in my shed which I can either sell, use to build up a geared bike or possibly convert into a FG/SS. I'm not particularly bothered about the second option because I already have two of those and the next geared bike I buy will hopefully be a cross bike. A FG/SS build could be reasonably cheap too.

The drop out on the frame is pictured below. If I want to build up a FG/SS to pootle to the grocers etc round by me, do I need chain tensioners and what not? Grateful for any pointers. :) (This does not mean I'm becoming a fixer :wink: )

3297744700_bf593abeaf_m.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."