Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    WooHoo!
    I should be there in an hour or so, been trying all week...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • have done anything else with the trails since i last went up in april?

i hope to be getting back there in the next 3 weeks, i havent been riding much in the last couple of months due to work and other things
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    pete higham

Is there a visitor centre, or even a car park?

I'm off there tomorrow, thanks.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • nope and sort of.

No centre and the car park's about half a mile away at the bottom of the hill.
  • Whytepeak
    Thanks mancat. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sorry i didnt come back on when i had posted last night :(

Hope you had a good day and enjoyed the little section of jumps, i dont think you will have struggled parking up, however that first hill kills me :lol:

which side of worsley woods do you live on? i havent ridden in worsley woods for years and wouldnt know my way around now :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    pete higham

Lee qaurry was great, the black trail was great fun, it was more like trials right at the start :shock: , but I managed :D .

I'm racing there next weekend, so that first hill will no doubt be a feature :( :roll:

I live in Walkden, north of Worsley woods, its an alright place to ride. :D
  • thats the good thing with the quarry, it has a little bit of everything

is it brownbacks organising the race?

im in swinton/pendlebury and usually go along the irwell and head towards bolton & bury and we usually end up going round clifton marina, you can do a lot from the back of where i live without touching a road 8)

i may have to get myself down to w/w and have a look around :)
  • Whytepeak
    It is brownbacks :D

WW is good, but it ain't worth driving to :lol:

I ride there because it's so close, and I can't drive/ be bothered with public transport :lol:
  • i wouldnt drive down!! it is only 20 mins on a bike from mine :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    i wouldnt drive down!! it is only 20 mins on a bike from mine :lol:

Bout 5 mins from me :D

There are a couple of good places, see what you find :wink:
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    anyone else wish the turns on the final downhill section were bermed?
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Not really, you'd lose the sweet singletrack feel. Thats my favourite bit.

Taken from STW:
    We have been offered some money now, still a bit of sorting out to do with the match funding etc but it is looking promising.

Planning applications going in for link from Lee Quarry over to Rooley Moor Road and some purpose built trails in Cragg in the next few days.

List for Lee Quarry so far is a skills area with a pump track, sections to learn how to ride jumps, berms, drop offs safely and with progression. A new black graded section and a new section of red graded xc route. (hoping to get this all built this financial year. Oh and proper signage at last.

Link over the moors to be built next year (after bird breeding season) assuming we get planning permissions etc.
  • andituk wrote:
    Not really, you'd lose the sweet singletrack feel. Thats my favourite bit.

Taken from STW:
    We have been offered some money now, still a bit of sorting out to do with the match funding etc but it is looking promising.

Planning applications going in for link from Lee Quarry over to Rooley Moor Road and some purpose built trails in Cragg in the next few days.

List for Lee Quarry so far is a skills area with a pump track, sections to learn how to ride jumps, berms, drop offs safely and with progression. A new black graded section and a new section of red graded xc route. (hoping to get this all built this financial year. Oh and proper signage at last.

Link over the moors to be built next year (after bird breeding season) assuming we get planning permissions etc.

Happy days, i like the sound of that :D
  • andituk
    More info from http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ :

We have been successful with our various funding bids and have over £500k to send on new mtb trails within the Rossendale area over the next 18months or so. The bulk of the funding £350K is coming from Aggregates Levy.

Planned at the moment for within Lee Quarry are

A new section of red graded xc singletrack with some black options/features this will be between 1km and 1.5km long depending on the final route used which will depend on what can be fitted in with the budget available.

New skills areas/sections which will include

The Drop line
    150m long 3m wide will have three ability levels side by side enabling riders to learn how to ride drops of different sizes and difficulty.

The Berm Track
    180m long 1m wide eleven consecutive berms (and nothing else!)

The Pump Track
    120m long 0.7m wide pump line on a gradient

Black graded progressive skills line
    250m long 1 to 2 m wide rock drops, table tops, rollers, berms all on the same track (i.e. putting everything learnt on the above three tracks in to practice)

Black graded expert line
    250m long 1m wide similar to the line above but with even more challenges.

Pump track
    Figure of eight pump track built on flat section start finish at the same point.

The above should all be finished by April/may this year. This means we will have quite a few extra features to use at the weekender event in July.

Also happening this year should be the work at Cragg Quarry, Rowan Sorrell has put the initial designs together for us and he says “Cragg Quarry deserves to be the jewel in the crown of the whole trail centre project. It has fantastic rolling shapes, ideal to adapt to mountain bikes and its location affords stunning views out over Rossendale and up into the Lakes on a clear day. The new wind farm located on the moor to the back of the quarry actually adds to the character of the ride and provides an interesting backdrop to the trail. The loop in Cragg Quarry will be a packed 4.5km with plenty of contoured bench cuts and sudden feature sections seamlessly linked together into one exciting ride. The trail climbs gently through the quarry just off the route of the Pennine Bridleway. This extra elevation gives riders great views and still throws in a few technical rock features en route, but it is on the return leg, with the overall gradient now working to the rider’s advantage, that the thrills are cranked up a notch. The trail flows, rolling, dipping and rising with berms along its route; it can be tackled gently or attacked head on, making for a physical, but ultimately very rewarding ride due to the views and great features found throughout the quarry site. There are old buildings, inclines and cart tracks all taken in along the route so the rider not only has a great ride but also really gets a feel for the heritage of this site. Rock gardens, rock rolls and slab paving are all incorporated into the trail to make the most of the natural resources and features on site.”

Next financial year we are planning on constructing a bridleway link from Lee Quarry up to Rooley Moor Road, a link over to Facit Quarry and then some mtb trails down through Facit Quarry. Once we have this lot in place that quick half day blast round Lee Quarry can be turned in to a full day out. The idea is to keep it technically challenging with plenty of red/black options.

We are also planning an off road link between Lee Quarry and Gisburn Forest any one fancy a quick lap round Lee Quarry.

I'm like a kid at christmas :D:D
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I can't find half the things stated above! - Just the normal red trail, the black loop off that and the trials area :?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's talking about 2010......
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • andituk
    compo wrote:
    I can't find half the things stated above! - Just the normal red trail, the black loop off that and the trials area :?

"Planned at the moment" :wink:

They've just secured funding and work will commence soon to be ready for next year :D
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    andituk wrote:
    More info from http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ :

I'm like a kid at christmas :D:D

I'm with you... that sounds amazing. Love the idea that you'll be able to hone your skills gradually.

Ed Oxley (of Great Rock) does a lot skills days up there. I've been on a beginners day with him so an intermediate/advanced course up there would be well worth the money.

Those upgrades will put Rossendale square onto the MTB trail centre map. 8)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    ahh - i didnt read it propely :lol: :oops:
    sounds great - especially sice its only about max 1hr from most of Manchester so it theoretically should be well used
  • I had a spare couple of hours yesterday so went for a quick blast round Lee Quarry and tried out a few new camera angles.

Here's one of the black route...

black route
  • Whytepeak
    Got that feeling... at the end of the vid when I thought you were going down... :D

Best bit of the black, and nicely ridden, especially the first bit.

Was going to go today, but had theatrical obligations... :roll: Going to have to get back up there soon.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i like lee quarry it's local for me and got some wicked riding. from the sounds of it it can only get better,, anything that mentions huck aka drop and rockroll, is good in my books.

lacashire council seem to have there heads screwed on lately.. they seem to be investing money into mtbing or letting some good spots be developed into mtb trails. rossendales area, healey nab off rivington. and gisburn forest,, for now.. all with in an hours drive from me,, he he i'm like a kid at christmass,,, just wish it would stop raining, so i could get out and enjoy them...

a short bit of vid from the quarry shot by our kid last week..
    http://www.youtube.com/user/topasassin#p/u
  • Im just gutted i live soooo far away, we dont have any riding like that near ipswich. I will get there some time next year though.
    I ride a 2008 felt compulsion ...................well i did till i went to the north downs and my swingarm decided to detach itself from the frame
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    delcol

Hey, I've not long been in Manchester; what's up at Healey Nab? I've not come across that yet and the mmmBop will be built soon...! Looking to find more 'local' riding generally as I've been doing 'big' rides - at least in scale, if not distance!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    BUMPED :)

Anyone been on or aware that there's a load more routes and work been done at the quarry.
    I went up few days ago and there 3 or 4 more red bits, Red route 1 with a black off shoot, (near the end) is near the start of the trails with a rather gnarly climb up a rock boulder path. The other reds are in the middle of the quarry with a black run too, ( i reckon this is only black because of the jumps near the end) The reds are certainly entertaining if short and for my tallentless riding a bit intimidating but by the second or third run , loving it :) , (that first dip into the switchbacks is lovely and steep) There's a pump track and work has been done to the skills areas and other bits too.
    I heard of other plans of llinking various quarries and bits via bridleways, does anyone know where they're at with this? cant find any info through the net. :roll: but good on the council for once, (and selfishly i might add) for doing something i approve of and thanks also to all the people that have made this 8)
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • hello..... long time no speak. i've been too busy commuting (41 miles a day on a brommie) to get out on big bertha much. might get up there sometime in the next few weeks tho. i've seen pictures of the final plans and it looks like an exciting time to be lucky enough to live as near as you.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    hey sg2005 hope ya well but what are ya doing 41 miles a day on the darkside.
    The mountain bike gods will dam your soul to eternal tarmac :lol:
    time to dust off yer scott.
    I know, i know living so close to the quarry so i can go out my back gate to it and not touch a road is one of those things i'll have to put up with, but such is life lol :D
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    wrong thread!
  • eh?
    Cotic Soul rider.