Lee Quarry, Bacup

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited April 2010 in MTB rides
Can anyone tell me exactly where Lee Quarry near Bacup actually is, or more importantly how to get to it from the road?

There's been some work there recently and even a race.

I know roughly where it is but could do with knowing how to get to it!

Thanks

Comments

• Don't worry, I've found it!

The red route is a bit tame, but the black section is quite challenging, with off camber rocks and steps up and down as well as some steep technical downhills and even a log ride. The later section is a fair bit more flowing with some twisty bends and small crests and dips. A whole lap is about 4 miles so you might want to do a few laps. It's quite good for honing your technical skills and if your into trials riding there are loads of natural and man made obstacles including, tree trunks, rails, rocks and cable drums.

It looks like there's still a bit of work to do and the track needs wearing in a bit, but over all it's quite enjoyable.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I work in Bacup and would fancy doing this after work, can you tell me where in Bacup the quarry is? I work in the centre so if you could give directions from there would be great thanks.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • it's the highlighted green tracks at the bottom of the map

2r4t01f.jpg
  • just go to adrenalin gateway there website

http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/default.aspx

got everything you want to know - never been mind so thanks of rrevoiew Manc
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's worth a play, definitely no Afan or 7 Stanes but it's a start. Just wish the council had signposted it properly, all that effort to build the trail and then no one knows where it is :cry:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    gis a clue how do i get to it from bolton?
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    stumpy - have you been? iirc bacup is just on the other side of flower scar road? So its quite close?

any pics of the actual routes?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    marika wrote:
    gis a clue how do i get to it from bolton?

Map HERE
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpy - have you been? iirc bacup is just on the other side of flower scar road? So its quite close?

any pics of the actual routes?

I might go up there tomorrow, if I do I'll take my camera and maybe my helmet cam too!
  • stumpyjon
    http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/Documen ... oard-1.pdf

pdf map of the routes above

website link below

http://adrenaline-gateway.co.uk/LeeQuarry.aspx

GT, Lee quarry is about 3 miles from the end of Flower Scar road, so not far.

• GT Destroyer
    Looks good - I didn't even realise there were proper events held there. A visit shall be arranged shortly.
  • I went up here again yesterday (I'll post some pictures later).

It's bedding in quite nicely and other than on the black route there aren't that many puddles. After all the recent rain, the black route now has about 6 water crossings which are good fun.

I met the guy from the council who is project managing the development, he was asking for feedback. He told me that Daffyd Davis, the trail builder had designed the course, which I didn't know!

He tells me that he has some more money to spend this year to do a little bit more on the existing route. He also has 'a chunk' of money for next year and intends to develop 2 more neighbouring quarries. HIs vision is a full days ride linking the 3 quarries together, which sounds fantastic!

As I say I'll stick some pictures up later or maybe tomorrow!
  • GT Destroyer
    Great - I'd like to see some more pics of the place. Trying to arrange a morning up there on Sunday.
  • stumpyjon
    HIs vision is a full days ride linking the 3 quarries together, which sounds fantastic!

That would be bl**dy brilliant. They just need to advertise it more. if people are using it they may get more funding.

• Right then, pictures

First off, appologies for the quality, they're off my old 'biking' phone.

At the top of the first and only real climb is a trials area, if you're that way inclined
    a1s944.jpg
    There's than about a mile of red route which I didn't photo. If you look right, in to the quarry you'll see part of the black route
    16laexf.jpg
    The track then splits, red left and black right, be warned the black is very tricky in places with some big drops to the side, Having said that the rock is grippy even when damp
    1igcj6.jpg
    As I say, the black is a bit sketchy in parts
    yexqv.jpg
    11b8d90.jpg

You're then faced with a steep rock ride on to a log
    2ecl06e.jpg
    2vct7hv.jpg
    or the easier route through a pond!
    so687c.jpg

There's plenty more rock rides through the ponds and a few drops too.

Once you see the 2nd trials area
    35m4lxj.jpg
    Go past it on the right and follow the track round, you'll come to a skills area with red and black bits to practice on without too much risk of injury
    254zz7k.jpg

Here's a picture of the red route too, watch out for cattle and sheep round here!
    feqr81.jpg

I thought I had nore of the Red route, but it would seem not!

Anyway, I hope this helps and encourages more people to visit!

Just one last thing. Don't park in front of the metal gates. The guy from the council wanted to get in yesterday to do a bit of trail work, but some pillock had parked his Silver Polo in fron of the gate so he couldn't open it!
  • marika
    i can't make head nor tail of these maps could someone direct me from the m66 please,i would like to go for a play next week maybe
  • GT Destroyer
    Looks good - We are going on Sunday morning for a thrash, looking forward to it now!
  • I too may well try to get up there on Sunday, too see how it is, one of the guys from my club has been up and he said the same that it is pretty good.

nice description and photos cat.
  • stumpyjon
    Marika

Up the M66 and then onto the A56 (motorway stops and becomes dual carriage way). Carry on into Rawtenstall. Straight across the first roundabout, at the really big roundabout with the fire station in the middle you need the 3rd exit (middle lane on the roundabout) and then straight on through the lights to get off the roundabout.

Carry onto to another roundabout (you've just passed Ride On on your right, an excellent LBS) and go straight across. Keep on for about a mile, straight across another roundabout, through the gorge. Mini roundabout next, straight over.

After another mile or so you should see Futures Park on the right after J & J Omerods kitchen factory. Turn into the big carpark and head towards the back. There's a lane leading up to the Quarry from the back of the carpark. Probably best to park at the back of the big car park at the bottom.
    pbpic2594921.jpg

• marika
    thank you very much kind sir i will give it a visit soon 8)
  • Went for my first visit to Lee Quarry on Saturday morning - what a fantastic move that was!

Foir those who haven't yet checked it out, it is a fairly short route comapred to some of the other north-west favourites, but there's nothing wrong with going round twice, and the ear-to-ear grin from the sweet swishing singletrack on the way down deserves at least two runs to appreciate - the first to get a feel for the soft ground,. and the second to see how many of the turns you can make at full pelt!

Black section was a good challenge for me - and even more so for my (bruised) mate who was clipped in - not a good idea I think...

The ground is pretty slow when wet, felt a bit like trying to run on sand at times, so I'm looking forward to another visit in the dry to find out how much quicker that makes it. Skills area is genius too - proves that I ain't got no skills, then gives me a chance to practice till I get some.

I had no idea that this much fun was sat there waiting less than 45 mins from my front door - massive credit to the trailbuilders, I'll be back!
  • stumpyjon
    I went up on Sunday morning for the second time in the illustrious company of GT Destroyer and Easyg. Had a pretty good time despite the wet. Managed to clean the red route with the exception of that sticky out rock bit at the top of the red descent, if you ride it you'll know the bit I mean.

Had a crack at the black, hmmm realised I'm not as good as I thought, spd's are not good in all situations, it's bloody difficult (with big stoney drops).

Missed the skills section completely again, may have to go up again and have a pootle on the low level stuff. I think the exposure on some bits makes it worse than it is (maybe that's just the old git in me talking :roll: ), that said Easyg reckoned the black was more like double black which made me feel better.

The red is only about 20 - 25 mins of riding so it does mean you can keep going around and practicing (which is what I intend to do, gonna nick the DMR V8s off my missus bike and try the black on flats, never thought I'd ever say that :shock: ).

• GT Destroyer
    It was a pleasure meeting you Jon, for everyone else who hasn't met Jon he is a sound biker, and a genuine chap!

So Lee Quarry.

Me and easyG had an absolute blast. The route is small, so you do need to do it a couple of times, there is a beast of a climb to start with which gets you warmed up. The red route kind of goes around the top of the quarried section, its tricky in places, but definately do-able.
    The downhill section is an absolute joy, fast flowing corners, combined with tricky rock sections and some steep drops just to keep you on your toes.
    The black section comes off the red route and takes you down into the quarried bit of the quarry, its surreal, like riding through a swamp/jungle. It is very, very tricky though and probably could be classed as a double black. (compared to the warrn boulder trail at Stainburn anyway)
    Its small enough to make you immediately start another lap when you finish your first one, we managed 3 laps, one including the black.
    Its a great place to ride, and we will be returning in the near future.

Good work Lee Quarry.
  • marika
    going up here tommorow morning so any tips?
    need pads?
    is it exposed or sheltered?
  • GT Destroyer
    You'll need pads, especially if you are doing the black route, which you should!

Its exposed, so if its cold/windy, you'll get blown and wet!

I'd go with you as Tuesday is my normal day off but I've already agreed to do some O/T, dammit!!!
  • marika
    if i like it might go thursday aswell,earlish start,will let you know
  • marika
    went and did 2 laps,one all red and one including the black,loved the red nice fast and twisty as its a total departure from my normal riding,didn't really like the black as i found it had no flow but will go back and nail and it a few times to see if i can get it any better,the biggest fear on the black is if you fall you are going for a proper fall :lol: but its all quite rideable

oh and where the hell is the skills bit i missed that both times :oops:
  • GT Destroyer
    When you start you go straight up the hill, it goes right then left, then as you carry on the trail the skills bit is just to your left there, I was expecting it to be a bit bigger to be honest, and there is a second skills bit which I missed altogether - Probably 'cos I wasn't really looking for it!
  • GT, I think that's one of the Trials area.

The skills area is a bit harder to find. Go up the first climb and when you normally turn left and can see the horse paddock in front of you, go straight on instead, passed the paddock on your right. Once you've reached the top of the climb, turn left and it's up there...somewhere.

It really does need more sign posts!
  • I am thinking of heading up here in the morning, from the pictures it loks quite good. I have only just got back into riding after years away and this looks a perfect ride for getting back into it.

Just wondering are the signs giving the directions of the route on the way round? Its just im heading up on my own without a map or directions and dont fancy getting lost. Or if there are no directions will there be other riders up there around 9.30am ish so there is someone to follow?