Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Shame about the motorbikes, that could really spoil it if you go for a day out.[/color]

What motorbikes? Only saw one bloke on a trials bike - and only for a couple minutes.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    stumpyjon wrote:
    The motor bikes are going to be a problem, there were a couple of t*ssers up there last time I was there. I'm sure the tops have come off some of the rollers on the last section, they didn't feel half as fierce. Trouble is the motorcross brigade think they own the valley even though there's very few places thay are allowed to ride. Ironically though one of the other quarries down Whitworth way is open to motorbikes in the same way as Lee Quarry is to mountain bikes so they could've gone down there.

I haven't had personal experience of motorbikes at the Quarry, but have at other places. I was referring to Jon's post. I really enjoyed it at the Quarry last time I went and wouldn't want my day to be spoiled thats all, I have to travel about 1 hour to get there.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    dave_hill wrote:
    Shame about the motorbikes, that could really spoil it if you go for a day out.[/color]

What motorbikes? Only saw one bloke on a trials bike - and only for a couple minutes.

There were a couple of guys on motorbikes riding the top of the red route the last time I was up there.

Personally I've had more problems with motorbikes than any other group (including dog walkers). They aren't actually allowed to ride 99% of the moors, there are hardly any RUPPS or BOATS in the area. They are dangerous, ever had one zoom past you and get a fall full of gravel thrown up, I have and it hurts, even more dangerous if you're riding when they scream past you.

They also have a detrimental effect on the whole area, the noise they create goes a long way in the summer. It's been bad enough in Rossendale for the police to have been confiscating off road bikes to try and crack down on the problems
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    Agreed, it's the idiots on crossers. I've no problems with the trials types, they've been using Lee Quarry (and the others) responsibly for years.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:

A mini crosser and normal crosser were going back and forwards on the first section of table tops by the skills area when I went round the last time.

I have nothing against the trials riders, I've only ever seen them in their section.
  • I've just been up today. The guy from the council was parked in his van, up by the skills area (see-saw etc). He was just sat watching down the valley towards the entrance. I assume he was just waiting to see if any motorbikes came in. He certainly wasn't doing any trail building. Mind you, I don't blame him. The fans were running up on Rooley Moor and creating some really strong wind in the quarry!!!!!

However, for the first time I did mange to clean all of the black run in one go and I was using spds. :D
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    im gonna go up on sunday as that is when the weather is looking at its best 8)

anyone else up there sunday?
  • pete higham
    dave_hill wrote:
    Plus I'll try and get some more action footage, although it ain't easy with just yourself and a tripod...

dave, if you get up there on sunday i will give you a lift with that if you want!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill wrote:
    Plus I'll try and get some more action footage, although it ain't easy with just yourself and a tripod...

dave, if you get up there on sunday i will give you a lift with that if you want!

Thanks for the offer Pete but Sunday is football!! At least until the end of this season.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Me and the Hubby are going up on Sunday, i am considering sticking an L plate on the back of my camel back then peeps might give me a bit of room when i'm trying the rock gardens....the one hting i hate is peeps riding on my back wheel when i'm trying to learn..its one thing that puts this newbie off :oops:
    Caz xxxx
  • GT Destroyer
    You should be fine sparrow, theres not usually hoards of folk like at Dalby or Llandegla, well there hasn't been the last couple of times I've been there.

Steady on the rocky bits though, some of them are super tough, but you should love the last bit, very flowy and singletracky.
  • sparrowlegs78
    Cool thanks GT .....i always end up with the flyboys behind me and it really puts me off...so much so i'll get off and walk bits so i'll not hold them up.
    Lee quarry looks the job for me to go and learn skills that i usually chiucken out on lol :oops:
    Caz xxx
  • GT Destroyer
    Well its small enough there to know exactly who is where on the trail, once you've been round once you should have it cracked. The only place you might be walking then is back up the big hill at the start!!
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'll be walking up that in the first place anyway....it's a bugger from cold just walking up with no bike! lol
    Caz xxx
  • gazjl
    gazjl Posts: 175
    i am going for the first time on sunday morning with a few mates :D

you wont miss me i will be wearing a black p#ss pot with a multi coloured mohican :shock:
    and i will be on a commencal 5.5
    see all those who are going there sometime early sunday :D
  • sparrowlegs78
    I'll keep my eye out for you, i'll be on a Merlin Malt 2 with pink bits on it and i'm the 6ft 2" tall lass thats on the floor in bits next to it :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    having a weekend job sucks, always miss the best rides :(

have fun guys!
  • pete higham
    i will be there on my claud butler cape wrath so if you see me give us a shout.

no worries dave
  • I might go up again tomorrow morning, my plans for a bigger ride out have gone for a ****!

I'll be on my grey Orange 5 and might bring my video camera out, give me a wave if you see me!
  • I might, just might come along for a look at what all the fuss is about. Depends on the weather. If it's half decent I'll go to Settle, so if you see a white Kona hardtail that'll be me. Don't wait for me, if I'm not there I won't be coming.
    Frank Yates
  • pete higham
    good day today!

it was a little muddy but a lot better than i thought it would be cosidering it has lashed it down for most of last week, i was pretty suprised to find a little snow on the second half of the red route :o
  • sparrowlegs78
    I didn't like it :(......dunno why, it just wasn't my cuppa tea..the only bit i liked was the singletrack descent at the end.
    Mind you i fell OVER early on on black ice when i was just stodd there..slid down a bloody hill on me arse..that put me right off my stride :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • JxL
    Anybody up for a ride on wednesday/thursday/friday? weather is looking up ok *fingers crossed*
  • www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

website updated

sponsored prizes from Hope, Leisure Lakes, Ride-On, MaxGear and others

first event 19th April get your pre-entries in

see you on the startline
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I went up there for a second visit today (last went in about Oct when it was still being worked on). I have to say I'm not sure at all. It just never seems to get going enough for my liking, until the last two sections which are quite flowy but not worth the drive there in themselves.

The second to last section has a couple of nice berns and a decent table top followed by a coffin/double and you can push up and session this bit. I realise that it's still very much a work in progress and it's great to have some local man made trails.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    oh and the black is just plain scary!
  • JxL
    Sweet!

I'm riding Lee Quarry with another guy from SIngletrack forum this Thursday afternoon. He wanted to start at 5:30 but might be a bit late, so tempted to go earlier to warm up and familiarise before Brownbacks race on 19th april.

More people welcome to join me on thursday! ;)
  • just g
    just g Posts: 9
    what time and how would i recognise you? can't promise to get there but if the weathers like this it seems a shame not to g
  • JxL
    I will be driving a red peugeot 206, and riding a Genesis Core 10 bike (white frame, black RS reba forks), probably black shorts and animal long sleeve t shirt (blue), and white pisspot helmet.

Not sure for the time - would love to spend more time there, so thinking to be there for about 3 or so, and stay til late? I could meet the guy from singletrack later on somehow.

drop by an email to streetballstar AT gmail DOT com, give me your number or il give you mine to arrange on the day.

More people welcome! :D

(hopefully I can find the place first)

which road is it to access the quarry? Quite a few lead to that direction.
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    edited April 2009
    might be up there myself tomorrow early afternoon and could do with a gentle coaxing round as im still a quarry virgin, even though i only live 2 mins away..... so if ya see me say hi. m on a black n green rocky m slayer . shaun you up there or are you still doin ur nocturnal rides.
    peace L
    Rocky-M-Slayer.