Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Sweeeet

More people the better. I also have no idea about the routes - first timer too.

Is there a clear enough entrance where we could all meet?

(also would appreciate if someone could tell me what road name leads to the entrance)
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    i dont think theres a clearly marked entrance but best way to describe it is from rawtenstall , ( follow instructions on page 1 ) then:-

the best landmark is when you see the big blue LEARNDIRECT logo on a newish looking building on your right.... turn a right before the sign and those roads are dead as you will clearly see alll of which seem ok for parking, i always check for signs though(ya know what its like these days), some mention drivin further up but i dunno about that but theres lots a parkin and on the road opposite nr the chippy too.

the actual quarry is a track to the left of the terrace houses on ya right hand side as you look up the hillside i believe.

oh and i think it is futures road you turn into.
    hope this helps 8)
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • location and how to get there here

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/race_ ... there.html
  • just g
    just g Posts: 9
    jxl have sent you a pm with my number if you give me a bell after lunch i should know where i'm upto by then g
  • JxL
    Thank You all again!

@ just G - I didn't get a PM, anyway I sent you one with my number.. I will be off soon so give me a ring or text if u can.

EDIT::

Brilliant ride guys! definitely up for another one sometime soon :)
  • hi liam,

just got back from night ride at lee quarry, there was 5 up there tonight, me, another single rider and get this, a group of 3 with only 2 lights, the bloke without was in the middle, suicidal or what. you been up there yet?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • rockylee
    hey shaun,
    must av just missed ya i went bout 3 pm and by chance met up with jxl, (hi dude) and just G ( hi jg , and you climb like a mountain goat on steroids :lol: ) , i think ur all suicidal for goin at night. ill catch you up there some time.
    i must say its all good up there but i especially like the 2 little signs i saw , red triangle with skull and cross bones :twisted: to denote the near death experience you would have if ya place ya wheel too near to the edge.
    the fitting of a ski lift would be good for that 1st hill up to the quarry from the car park.
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • JxL
    Planning another ride in Lee Quarry this week or early next week, should be a few people coming with me too. Rockylee and Just G - up for another bash around the quarry?
  • rockylee
    yeh sure im free nxt week, ya got me number, just giv us a txt and ill meet ya up there.
    more laps this time though me thinks :wink:
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • JxL
    Sure thing, so far we are planning a visit this Tuesday, but if it changes I will post again. Did you get my text? Tried calling after the ride but it was still switched off.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    I'm finally returning today - Its been absolutely ages since I've ridden properly, I reckon the first hill is going to have me feeling just a tad tired!

I'll be there around 9.30 ish - Silver Golf, 1 Orange Crush and 1 Marin Rocky Ridge, and 2 clowns riding them!!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    going here next w.end - can't wait it sounds great.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    What did you think of the new stuff GT?

Would have joined you but have spent most of the day split between bike shops, the M4 and White's level at Afan 8) (cleaned the black loop for the first time as well, had to ride it again in case it was a fluke, cleaned it a second time as well, did go over the bars 20 yards from the end of the trail though :oops: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • JxL
    I think the Red route is miles better than the Black!

My next challenge is to do all the jumps at the start/bottom of the trail. I managed to clear the double but yet to dare to jump the tabletop :D

P.S on the 19th (and possibly 18th) there will be a race (Brownbacks), so it might not be open to others.
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    i was up there yesterday with a mate!

shat myself when i got there as their was a lot of vechiles on the hill and i thought i had screwed up with the w/ends (brownbacks nxt w/end) it turns out there was a old school trials competition, i dont think i saw a bike that was made before 76 8)

i also got talking to 2 lads that had come from halifax who followed me and my mate round for 1 loop then buggered off home :shock: beautiful weather for it aswell
  • GT Destroyer
    stumpyjon wrote:
    What did you think of the new stuff GT?

Would have joined you but have spent most of the day split between bike shops, the M4 and White's level at Afan 8) (cleaned the black loop for the first time as well, had to ride it again in case it was a fluke, cleaned it a second time as well, did go over the bars 20 yards from the end of the trail though :oops: ).

Its mint - we went the complete route this time as we usually chop off some of the bit right in the middle. That part of the trail actually takes you to the other skills area, no wonder we hadn't seen it before!

I like the jumps at the bottom - They aren't too small either, and stuff like that needs big cohunas! easyG managed to fall off on the last go round, he was a bit shaken but bike was OK and he had landed on his hip, it'll hurt like hell but no major damage.

We were trying to get the geese to chase us as well - They are feisty little buggers!

Here I am on the day - Complete with new helmet and snowboarding type goggles!
    13042009146.jpg
  • JxL
    Some parts are quite tricky for a hardtail! One bit on the red route always gets me flying over.
  • tlw1
    "Apparantly" it is still open on Sat and they don't start marking out the route till the Sunday morning. I hope this is true because its a long way to go for nothing!
  • GT Destroyer
    JxL wrote:
    Some parts are quite tricky for a hardtail! One bit on the red route always gets me flying over.

Meh - Only ever ridden a HT. Llandegla, Dalby, Lee Quarry, Wharncliffe, Stainburn, not found anything I wont'/can't ride yet, but you are right, it can be quite tricky at times.
  • JxL
    JxL wrote:

Meh - Only ever ridden a HT. Llandegla, Dalby, Lee Quarry, Wharncliffe, Stainburn, not found anything I wont'/can't ride yet, but you are right, it can be quite tricky at times.

Yes indeed, there is nothing "un-doable", rather so it is challenging ;) The short singletrack at the end of the course (leading to the road which goes up the quarry) is also mint, especially at night with a dim light :D
  • It's a superb place to to develop skills imo. It has a little bit of everything just about, if you include the black run.
  • just done red route in the dark on...wait for it.....panaracers passela slicks 1.25. ironically better grip than my full knobblies. however was reasonably dry and i was not hammering it. why slicks, well just getting in loads of road miles to build up fitness but as my circuit goes past it i simply just could not resist. saw some lights, had to be nosey, didn't see anyone tho, but i only do 1 loop.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    i will be there tomorrow morning about 9.30 in a blue subaru if anyone else is about!
  • I think I will go again tomorrow afternoon around 2 ish. I will be in a silver Clio 172 and wearing a Met Parachute if anyone's around.
  • tlw1
    I think I will go again tomorrow afternoon around 2 ish. I will be in a silver Clio 172 and wearing a Met Parachute if anyone's around.

Going there at 2.30 in a blue passat. Will be on a white Orange P7
  • matthew h wrote:
    I think I will go again tomorrow afternoon around 2 ish. I will be in a silver Clio 172 and wearing a Met Parachute if anyone's around.

I saw your car, I ended up running late and didn't get there until 3. Kept an eye out for your bike but didn't see it at all.
  • JxL
    who else is coming up for the race tomorrow?
  • tlw1
    matthew h wrote:

I saw your car, I ended up running late and didn't get there until 3. Kept an eye out for your bike but didn't see it at all.

Saw yours too! Loved the place - I will be back!

Green with envy for the guys who can cycle there for a quick play!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    JxL wrote:
    Some parts are quite tricky for a hardtail!

More fun though!!! :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • tlw1
    dave_hill wrote:
    JxL wrote:
    Some parts are quite tricky for a hardtail!

More fun though!!! :D

Agree - though didn't complete the top of the black. Company YE this month, I would be in serious trouble at work if I missed it due to a cycling accident - so after a couple of goes I gave it a miss & regret it now!