Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• roll on that sun :)
    2009 Orange crush
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Looks like I might make it after all, cold's nearly gone and I think I can get out later now so should be there the same time as Pete.

Bit misty here at the moment but looks like it's going to burn off.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • well i got up there and could only find, adam & graham. nice one guys brilliant day out. we did lee quarry and then over to the other quarry down into cowpe via the mary townley loop and other bits of playing around on the hills. graham thanks for the patience and showing adam and i around. i clocked just under 25 miles.

ps

graham, sorry, but had to do the rossendale way bit we talked about on way home :lol::lol::lol::lol:

knackered now done over 150 miles since last sunday, well chuffed.

did any of you other guys show and we missed you?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    i got there about 12.20 and realised i wouldnt be able to tell who anyone was because there were so many people there!

dave hill rolled up then stumpyjon arrived as i was building my bike up! im glad i had you two to show me and my mates the way round 8)

i had a excellent day today, it couldnt have been better! i love that place and i need to do it again very soon.

sorry we missed you guys but next time we will have to arrange it proper as i could have been stood next to you! i was in the dark blue subaru impreza if anyone noticed it :D
  • I made it up but didn't get there until about 1. My new Easton bars arrived this morning so got delayed fitting them 8) First trip out and I've already scratched them :roll: .
    Good point about not recognizing anyone lol.

I noticed on my last lap around that the motocross bikes were using the rollor coaster section. I would hazard a guess that they're not meant to ride the MTB trails :evil:
  • yeah i saw you pull up in the subaru i was at the bottom eating haribo and met graham and sian at the gate on the hill you would have only been 5 mins behind us.

thanks guys for the ride was a very good challenge for me and i enjoyed every bit!!!

good day out!!!
    2009 Orange crush
  • adam, anytime you fancy a ride out, just gimme a shout, it's good to get with others

cheers

shaun (sian?) :D
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • yeah no worries shaun anytime im free. it keeps you motivated with others i like it.
    2009 Orange crush
  • stumpyjon
    Yeah, had a good afternoon. I did think about the recognising people bit, after having met some of the guys off here the one thing you quickly learn is people don't look like you expect them to. People also look very different with a helmet on :lol: .

Finally tracked that annoying rattling down when i got home, it was the front mech, not the seat post cable. 20 secs and a slight adjustment and it wen't away, really annoying as I had an allen key with me but couldn't figure out the source.

The motor bikes are going to be a problem, there were a couple of t*ssers up there last time I was there. I'm sure the tops have come off some of the rollers on the last section, they didn't feel half as fierce. Trouble is the motorcross brigade think they own the valley even though there's very few places thay are allowed to ride. Ironically though one of the other quarries down Whitworth way is open to motorbikes in the same way as Lee Quarry is to mountain bikes so they could've gone down there.

One last thing, if anyone finds a prehistoric river bed in the quarry there was a lady up there today who had lost it, and she'd like it back :shock:

• Reflecting on the day I had at the quarry today after a few beers :shock: All I can say is it's great... The place makes you WANT to do another lap! I so much hope they do the other 5 quarry's thing without the recession shit hampering things....

I met some nice people when I was there (some might have been you?? (if you saw me make a tit of my self doing the seesaw :oops: )).
    Dave Hill I might have seen you if you were wearing big dark shades? Just a vision I have of you going by your Avatar!

I saw the Blue Scooby at the bottom by the way. My car was the silver Renault Sport a bit further up the hill.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Dave Hill I might have seen you if you were wearing big dark shades? Just a vision I have of you going by your Avatar!

Full face lid? Could have been me...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pete higham
    did you get much footage of yesterday dave?
  • dave_hill
    did you get much footage of yesterday dave?

I'm putting it on YouTube as we speak, I'll post the link when it's uploaded...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    Linky HERE...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pete higham
    i like it 8)

i like your taste in music aswell dave 8) i have been listening to that album since i got back from the quarry, i would have used omen :D

although its a good play on words as that is what you would be saying if you crashed there "take me to the hospital" :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    Wahoo, I'm a filum star. I hear there's a vacancy in the big brother house (was that a bit close the to knuckle?).

Just shown it to the missus, not sure I'm allowed out again :cry: , she didn't like the music :lol: , muted it halfway through.

• pete higham
    you silly sod! what you showing your missus for :roll: :lol:

anyway im gonna get myself up there again next sat as long as the weather looks like like it will be ok 8)
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Me and the Hubby are going up next weekend....will prob end up walking up the hill before we even start though :lol:
    Caz xxx
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    dave_hill wrote:
    Linky HERE...

Sweet vid!

I was planning to visit Gisburn Forrest next week, but now im tempted to do Lee Quarry first.

Anybody up for a ride next week? wednesday/thursday/friday would be ideal.

Never been there, and my friends dont have bikes so need someone to give me a tour :D This place looks huge!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Good that Dave - I hope they can get the links to the other quarries done soon.

Shame about the motorbikes, that could really spoil it if you go for a day out.
  • dave_hill
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Just shown it to the missus, not sure I'm allowed out again :cry: , she didn't like the music :lol: , muted it halfway through.

Sorry Jon, I'll make a special edit with a Roger Whittaker/Burt Bacharach soundtrack...

I'm going to try and get back up there this week if the weather bucks up and session some of the nadgery sections. Plus I'll try and get some more action footage, although it ain't easy with just yourself and a tripod...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I'll be going on Friday about 1ish, maybe a bit earlier depending how my morning goes, I hope it's fine!
  • me and two mates are going Wednesday afternoon now
    2009 Orange crush
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    me and two mates are going Wednesday afternoon now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2372?area=OL13

weather is not looking too good, wednesday showers and friday sleet! ***** british weather, i got my hopes up after the sunny week :(
  • dave_hill wrote:

Full face lid? Could have been me...

Don't think so but not sure. Good Vid/tune.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    edited March 2009
  • .[/color][/quote]Shame about the motorbikes, that could really spoil it if you go for a day out

Please don't tell me that decades of peacable use by trials riders of this apparently vast area, at no public expense, is to be threatened by selfish cyclists who want it all for themselves. Why not just appreciate what others do on two wheels - most of them are cyclists too.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    edited March 2009
    Forum playing up again :cry:
  • My understanding is as follows

The moto trials riders are still allowed in the quarry and prebook their events with Lancs CC and respect the site. Their access is not under threat and they don't use the same bits of the quarry as the mtb trails.

The MXers that come into the quarry aren't welcome, have no right of access and damage the mtb trails and other parts of the quarry. They ride the mtb trails in reverse at speed are in obvious conflict with mtb's and horses and walkers.

I have no problem with the moto trials lot and wish them luck.

www.brownbacksracing.co.uk
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    .[/color]
    Shame about the motorbikes, thatcouldreally spoil it if you go for a day out

Please don't tell me that decades of peacable use by trials riders of this apparently vast area, at no public expense, is to be threatened by selfish cyclists who want it all for themselves. Why not just appreciate what others do on two wheels - most of them are cyclists too.[/quote]

could spoil it. My own experience of guys riding motorbikes when out on the mountain bike is not good. brownbacks says that there is a problem with the MXers, this is probably where the issue comes from.

Selfish cyclists do not want it all for themselves, but when challenged with a motorbike coming up the trail in the wrong direction, there are obviously going to be problems.