Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• i-drive wrote:
    i live 20 mins drive away & have been a few times now & no way would i go without doing a minimum of 4 laps of the black.VERY SHORT.

i appreciate we are all at different levels but the red is just too boring WHY not do the black.

its all ridable without any fuss & if you can,t get momentum @ lee quarry then for god sake don,t go anywhere near stainburn.

its ok or a decent blast for a quicky & to hone your skills & the guys with ltd resources have done ok but thats about it its ok.

Fair comments, but how the hell do you get there in 20 min from Huddersfield lol :wink:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Fair comments, but how the hell do you get there in 20 min from Huddersfield lol :wink:

He gets his butler to fly him there in the helicopter... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    i-drive wrote:
    i live 20 mins drive away & have been a few times now & no way would i go without doing a minimum of 4 laps of the black.VERY SHORT.

i appreciate we are all at different levels but the red is just too boring WHY not do the black.

its all ridable without any fuss & if you can,t get momentum @ lee quarry then for god sake don,t go anywhere near stainburn.

its ok or a decent blast for a quicky & to hone your skills & the guys with ltd resources have done ok but thats about it its ok.

Very true comments from i-drive. You find yourself going round a fair few times to really get going.

Also true about Stainburn! I think the quarry is better for the "flow", especially the last bit of the red, but it is over in a flash. The new DH bit at Stainburn is quite good, but it is very technical still.
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    i-drive wrote:

lol fairly easily & i don,t drive like a looney i just go there very early .8.00am .

i go over the tops nont sarahs & drop down into tod & up to bacup.fast roads but like i said i don,t go mad.20mins easy
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    edited March 2009
    Just been up to Lee Quarry this afternoon, first time in a few months.

They've added a load more red singletrack and I found the skills area. They've also improved some of the existing single track and it's way better. The last section that had a few very small doubles now boasts two 5ft table tops and some proper doubles. The new red section is very like the black loop on white's level at Afan, berms taller than me switch backing down a steep gulley plus at table top and a near vertical (felt like anyway) down a mud ramp into berm.

Don't think the new bit is offically open yet (judging by the red and white tape that was supposed to be blocking off the entrance).

I have to say it was OK before, especially if you're local like me but the new bit makes it a whole lot better. Still I think elsewhere alot of what is red would be calssed black but I'm not complaining, might even get to improve if I get down there a bit more regularly.

GT get your butt back over here, if you enjoyed it last time you're in for a treat on you next visit.

Only downside today was the mud which in a couple of places was rather slick and gloopy.

I'll try and take some photos next time I'm there, was having too much fun riding today to take many, those I did take were pants so not worth posting.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Excellent news. Will be paying a visit very soon!
  • jws2mpo
    jws2mpo Posts: 20
    I was up at the quarry on Saturday morning and was impressed with the new jumps, I have some pictures of them so will post them later when I get back home, I took my dad up for the first time as i have recently got him into riding. He has stayed local for last couple of months but he finally agreed to come up to the quarry and he loved it. He did really well not bad for a 51 year old
  • GT Destroyer
    I certainly will Jon! I'm off for the next 2 days and I might have the car so could come over for a blast round - Mind you I could come over on t' train, its only a few miles to get there from Tod station isn't it?

Get some pics up - I'm interested in these drops/jumps on the red bit at the end.
  • stumpyjon
    Tod station is about 4/5 miles, unfortunately there is a rather big hill in the way :lol:

If you're free one Saturday/Sunday in the near future I could easily pick you up at the station to save you from the hill :wink: PM me and we'll get something in the diary.

• pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    id be up for a blast round on a w/end, i havent gotten up there yet :)

unless it is next sat as i am down at fulham 8)
  • stumpyjon
    Ok Pete, I'll let you know (probably not next Sat as I'm out digging on Sunday and usually only get one passout per weekend :lol: ).

• pete higham
    so would you recomend that i change back to flats for it jon?
  • Pics ASAP please :wink:
    Sounds very good. If I can get my new frame built up by the weekend I might head over.
    Is the new red section over to the left side as your going up the hill from the start?
  • rockylee
    rockylee Posts: 31
    might have a trip up there tomorrow see whats about. not been up there myself yet but its getting too tempting with the news of all these new tracks. and i never done man made b4 so it'll be an education. its either that or plastering my ceiling...........hmmm tough choice.
    anyone else up there?
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Hi guys,

Il be getting my new bike end of this week, so would be definitely up to going for a spin in Lee Quarry, Rivington/Belmont or Gisburn Forest. Bad thing is that I work on weekends and have uni during the week, but fridays are usually free.

PM me if anybody is up for a ride!
  • GT Destroyer
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Tod station is about 4/5 miles, unfortunately there is a rather big hill in the way :lol:

If you're free one Saturday/Sunday in the near future I could easily pick you up at the station to save you from the hill :wink: PM me and we'll get something in the diary.

I remember it all too well! I am right in thinking that if I ride up immediately behind the station at Tod, up the very VERY steep hill, then I make my way across to flower scar road (the one I rode before) I just need to go right to the road at the end of that, then down the hill into Bacup, from memory thats right isn't it?
    It should serve as a good warm-up!

I'll let you know if its Sat or Sun and which weekend - I'm working this Sat and the next one, so they are written off for the next fortnight :cry:

I'll keep in touch though - I'll get easyG to come too.
  • stumpyjon
    That's right, or you could come up the road that heads towards Walsden and turn right under the railway bridges. Brings you out in the same place at the Bacup end of Flower Scar road. Same height, easier gradient on Tarmac.

Offer of a lift still stands though.

See you at Lee Quarry soon.

• Took a trip up this afternoon and I have to say its coming along well. They've done loads since last time :) .
    It has some superb huge berms to do and its nice to finally have a go on some table tops and doubles. I think I need practice on them though. Seems a case of all or nothing (I have very little lol) with those things and they are big so you need to be going full pelt :shock: .
    Managed to see someone take a tumble and destroy their front wheel in the process of doing a 3 in a row drop offs. He took it well and saw the funny side I think :lol:
    Here is a couple of pics from some of the new section. Couldn't do many because of the nasty weather.

IMAGE_079.jpg

IMAGE_081.jpg

IMAGE_080.jpg
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Good article in this months MBR which came through today about Bacup, part of an English version of 7stanes?? hope so!!
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    wow, this looks mint! I may pay a visit some time in next two weeks. Thanks for the pics!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Now THAT looks more like it!!! Might take another trip up there...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    It's still very much work in progress but it is much more flowing than the existing stuff. Different designer, Rowen Sorrel's doing the current bit and Dafydd Davis did the first bit. Rowen's also advising on Gisburn at the moment as well so East Lancs is keeping him busy (got told today that the boys at Gisburn were singing Rowen's praises to the Lee Quarry team only to have Lee Quarry get their tenders out first so Rowen's building the quarry trails but only consulting or something at Gisburn, well and truly shot in one's own foot :lol: ).

Dave it is definitely better than before, the new table tops on the bottom of the first section are pretty good and there are more big berms a bit further back along the track from where the photos were taken.

As I said at the beginning though they are still working on it so there are misisng bits, trenches and dead ends so take it easy, we really ought to keep off until it's finished (although that is going to take a lot of will power).

• sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Isn't Rowen also busy with the Healy Nab build too?...busy bloke
    Caz xx
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Tis looking good, will try and get down there myself one day next week!!!!
  • pete higham
    im up there on sat morning about 11 if anyone fancies a blast!

a couple of questions! where do i park? (could someone mark it on a map for me) are the trails marked clearly for direction?
  • stumpyjon
    Park in the Futures Park business centre car park. The access road to the trails is on the right hand side.

There's maps and aerial photos on page 1 of this thread.

The trails are a bit poorly signed (and some of it is still under construction), there are small red arrows marking the route. If you can get someone to show you around it will be a lot easier (if I get the chance I'll join you, need to work on a passout, pm me Saturday morning). You ride the red route in a clockwise direction so head up the wide track and around the left hand hairpin to get started.

• pete higham
    cheers jon :D i have changed my pedals back to flats too, i wanna be able to have a go at the black routes

hope you can make it 8)
  • im hoping to receive delivery of my new bike (orange crush 2009) before weekend so if i do ill write on here because ill definitely be up for a play on Saturday if you don't mind me tagging along???
    2009 Orange crush
  • i'd be up for it any weekend, could do with someone showing me round properly, i'm sure i am missing loads off the red route, it seems pretty short. i'm not mega fit so don't want a beast master :D:D
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • well as soon as i have my bike delivered (just waiting for a phone call to arrange delivery) ill be up for it any time as i dont live that far away from it so could go on way home from work sometimes etc always glad to meet fellow bikers
    2009 Orange crush