Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• BIt late on the response, but just follow the little red and white arrows. There are a few informtion boards dotted about, so you shouldn#t get lost.
  • I headed up on sunday morning and thought it was brilliant. I have only just got back into riding so this was ideal. However I managed to take a wrong turn and ended up on the black route, but I managed it ok.

I met some helpful guys at the start who told me where to go and the routes are sign posted. I recommend this route especially to riders like me who are just getting back into it, I will be back up there next weekend
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you managed the black and you've only just started riding again then hats off to you Sir 8) . I failed pathetically on the black (although I've got the red fairly well dialled now). My excuse is I was doing it with SPDs. Gonna puts some flatties on and use the massive downhill tyres I've got in the garage and give it another go (still reckon I'll bottle it though :oops: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I definitely recommend doing it in flats. I took my SPD's off when I started again until I got used to riding again. I was jusy lucky on the black run and took it very slow, like I say I took a wrong turn and had no choice. I cant wait to get back up there again next weekend. The only problem is it means not going out drinking again on saturday and that means enduring watching X Factor with the mrs! But its worth it.
  • jws2mpo wrote:
    I definitely recommend doing it in flats. I took my SPD's off when I started again until I got used to riding again. I was jusy lucky on the black run and took it very slow, like I say I took a wrong turn and had no choice. I cant wait to get back up there again next weekend. The only problem is it means not going out drinking again on saturday and that means enduring watching X Factor with the mrs! But its worth it.

lol - sounds like me, I enjoy a good drink but I also enjoy time on the bike, and the 2 just don't mix!!!
  • stumpyjon
    How did you manage the wrong turn at the top of the black, those mental boulders nearly put me off even attempting it :shock: . Only reason I went down was because Easyg and GT Destroyer already had, on hardtails :shock: making me look like a complete wuss at the top on my full suss bike :oops: .

• Yeah but you cleared the run though Jon eh? Granted on something as technical as that any rider is bound to have a moment and put their foot down or just lose the line altogether, especially in the wet, as it was that day!
  • Unfortuantely I missed my ride around the quarry on Sunday as I had to go and pick up my new bike from Sheffield. I got a GT I-drive 4.0 from ebay and am well happy with it. I havent had chance to get out on it yet, so cant wait to get up to the quarry on Saturday and thrash my new bike around. Never had a full sus bike before so should be good.
  • Well after reading this thread I decided to go up there this aft :)

I thought for its small size it was good. I went round 3 times and did the black twice. It felt like a much more complete ride when you include the black into your lap.

There was plenty of bits to test you skills, I even managed the big drop off near the end of the black route just before you go back up the hill :D The skills area was also a good idea.

The last section was from the end of the black was by far the best bit of the red route. Good fast flowing single track just how I like it.

All in all well worth the visit and I will be back before long.
  • I definitely agree that the last section of single track is the best bit of the ride.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Just been up there today and well...

It's okay, but I thought that like a lot of small trail centres it's difficult to get a rhythm going - you start howling along and then all of a sudden you have to anchor on and change direction and.. oh, it's just too much hassle.

Mind you, the fact that there was zero visibility didn't help. And it was wet and miserable. Like Bacup normally is, when it isn't swarming with murderous pikeys and footwear-fetishists :evil: .

Roll on next summer and back to Kirroughtree and Mabie... :D

Stumpy Jon please note - my assesment of Bacup only stretches to the lower reaches of The Valley, obviously Weir is the more genteel and upmarket end, much like Cliviger is with Burnley... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    I'd agree somewhat with you comments, if it was a car journey away it'd be a different matter, for me though Lee Quarry is only 15 min ride and it'll be good for honing skills. It's just nice to have something local, you never know it might develop into a full blown trail centre at some point.

You're right about the valley, the hills too long and steep for most of the undesirables to make the effort to get all the way up to Weir :lol: . However they do sometimes put on a nice evening show for us across the head of the valley at Sharneyford by burning out the odd nicked car.

• Its a car ride away for me, but if you have nothing decent within riding distance then you don't have a choice but to get in the car!

I agree with Dave on one point though - About coming to an abrupt halt and having to stop, get off, open the gate, close the gate, then start off back up the hill again!

Its only new though like Jon said and hopefully it'll get linked up with some of the other quarries in the area, to make a longer ride?
  • ben306
    ben306 Posts: 64
    I've only just heard about this place, going to give it a go this weekend, its actually a good ride over from littleborough, top of wardle and down into bacup so looking forward to it.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Hello tourist here from London here!

Can you give me the address and postal code to sat nav.
    Looks worth a visit and be even better when all quarries are opened up.

Whats the charge to ride?
  • grantway
    Hello tourist here from London here!

Can you give me the address and postal code to sat nav.
    Looks worth a visit and be even better when all quarries are opened up.

Whats the charge to ride?
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Satellite map of Bacup

Postcode is OL13 0BB.

This is a map of Bacup from google. You see the A681 Market street? follow that down till it turns into Newchurch road, there is a junction where that road meets the A6066. There is a left turn immediately after that junction, it goes past a business park called "Future" if I remember correctly. You go past that, with it on your left, then park the car anywhere there, then you ride straight up the hill, past flag street, which you can see on the map. Then you hit a big gate, with a board telling you whats what, then its onwards and upwards up to the trails.

Its free by the way.

Are you in the area anyway or are you making the trip from London just to come here?
  • dave_hill
    Are you in the area anyway or are you making the trip from London just to come here?[/color]

Good point - it's a hell of a long way to come for a 20 minute ride!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ben306
    ben306 Posts: 64
    Yeah does seem a long way for a play in a quarry.

Ill try get some pictures myself if I get up there at weekend.
  • grantway
    Didnt know how far away but may make a visit on the way back from CwnCarn
    for my single track friends.

Thanx GT for the post code
  • grantway wrote:
    Didnt know how far away but may make a visit on the way back from CwnCarn
    for my single track friends.

Thanx GT for the post code

If you mean Cwmcarn? then that would be a big diversion on the way home. You would be better off going to Afan or something.
    Have you ever been north of Watford? :wink:
  • only just seen this thread!

i think i will be having a trip down one sunday in the near future 8)

jon is it that bad that i should wear flats on the black? i have just got some spd's so i dont want to ruin my ride on the day!
  • dave_hill
    Pete I wouldn't go near the black section with Spuddys on, you'll kill yourself!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • If you're new to spds and are comfortable with flats, put them back on.
    I always ride it with spds and haven't died yet, but I haven't ridden flats for 15years plus!
  • First of all, hi to everyone as this is the first post for this bikeradar virgin :)
    It was this post which inspired me to join :lol:

Thanks for the pics manc'f'cat and everyone
    Let me Explain.
    turns out im movin to a house which backs onto the quarry, ( how lucky is that) but didnt know it was there. im new to the area, originally from north manchester and actually as yet not moved into the house. but when i do .... i'll be on here pecking peoples heads of where the best places to ride are. hope ya dont mind all :wink: i may have a little wee look at the quarry meself early next week but my spd's are staying on and suppose i better get a lid ,(helmet)hehe
    just out of interest does anyone else hate wearing a helmet ???
    Peace all
    :lol:
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • GT Destroyer
    You lucky sod! I'd love to live on the doorstep of Lee Quarry.

Welcome to the forum Lee. Helmets are sometimes a bone of contention, but the general consensus is to always, ALWAYS wear one. They are a bit mongified, and you look like a right tool in some, but they are very very essential.

What bike do you ride - You might be interested in some of the Rossendale moor rides that crop up every now and again.
  • Hi GT great init, yeh , had enough of the city.
    I know bits of the area but more rochdale side, i sometimes ride the pennine bridleway from hollingworth lake or watergrove res' and i love derbyshire, just a quick nip down the snake pass.
    I ride my beloved Rocky M' slayer,built bout a year ago but on a 05 frame, (with special edition paint...mmm.). got it for a song though :wink: ill try get some piccies upp soon, its just had a clean an'all
    :lol:
    yeh sure the rides round the area will be good but im just sorta gettin used to working this site, the searches seem a bit vague, i.e. when u enter rossendale etc , nothing comes back. seems ya cant be too specific. ill fathom something though :wink:
    though i do have to say i consider my self a trundler :D and i consider my bike to just be my transport to get into the out doors, thats what its about for me but if i happen to come across an inviting looking track ill have ago, like when i tried to ride 'the beast' downhill in derbyshire last year. only 1 fall and a buckled rim .lol. love it :twisted:
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • GT Destroyer
    You'll get to know the regulars. In your area its people like Stumpyjon, Dave Hill, and some others. We did a monster ride in November where all the gears froze and mud froze to the bikes!!

Looking forward to getting back out there, but it needs to brighten up and warm up a bit to be honest!

The quarry is really good, your Slayer will love the tough bits.
  • dave_hill
    rockylee wrote:
    just out of interest does anyone else hate wearing a helmet ???

I hate looking like a helmet, which is why I ALWAYS wear one when I'm on my bike... :shock: :D
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • hey rocky lee...is that liam? shaun here. you see that black panther thing yet?
    Cotic Soul rider.