Lee Quarry, Bacup

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Hi Rockylee, I'm about 3 miles up the road from Lee quarry so pretty local (and that's up in every sense of the word). Riding's pretty good in Rossendale although you need a basic level of fitness just to get out of the valley as we do have the odd hill or two. Oh we've also got an absolutely excellent LBS in Rawtenstall (Ride On), not the biggest but pretty helpful and they certainly know their onions (plus if you spend enough in there you start getting automatic discounts, not quite sure how much enough is but more than enough to upset the missus :oops: ).

Lee Quarry is pretty good for a quick blast around and honing your skills, it's pretty technical in places, especially the mental black bit.

I'm a committed spd user but even I've gone and bought some flats just to attempt the black, didn't have problems unclipping, just couldn't get clipped back in quick enough and as Dave said you really don't want to screw it up, there's forty foot drops onto rocks on one side of it :shock:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • hey rocky lee...is that liam? shaun here. you see that black panther thing yet?

holy moly if it aint a small world.... :lol: hi shaun , no but dont think i told ya i mentioned it to one of the neibours ....first warned em not to think im daft........ then low and behold he came back wuth this news report about 5 other sightings and how the beast has been blamed forr takin geese off the lake, freeky!! i dont want no big cat after me it would be the fast clearing of the black run ever :lol:
    If ya all wondering what im goin on about there has been a big black cat sighted in the region.....
    cheers stumpy for the info, our path may cross one day :) probly as you whiz past up a hill but.....
    Rocky-M-Slayer.
  • dave_hill wrote:
    Pete I wouldn't go near the black section with Spuddys on, you'll kill yourself!!

nice one john :D i think i will change back to my flats the first time i tackle this then, i am gonna drag a mate of mine over when i have bought a bike rack (mid feb) and have a good look around.

as for the helmet question

after riding moto x for a long time i actually feel under protected when it comes to my head with a mtb helmet :? i know for a fact if i had gone over the bars going down some of the hills that Dave Hill took us down the other week there wouldnt have been much of my head to pick up after the crash if i wasnt wearing one.
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    i am a moron
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    this is getting boring
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • pete higham
    edited January 2009
    delete please
  • sorry! dunno what happened there :oops:

11 times tho, must be a record :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    Aye but think of your post count :wink: :roll: :lol:

• i'm night owl biker, is lee quarry fun at night? anybody up for a good crack sat night?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • this is just to get email notifications
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Aye but think of your post count :wink: :roll: :lol:

it didnt do it any harm 8) :lol:
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Thats funny Pete! You must have been too quick for the connection!

So this black cat sounds interesting, anyone here actually seen it? I fancy coming up there to have a crack at the Quarry on Sunday morning, but also to go cat-spotting!!!
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    On second thoughts though I am working all day on Saturday and its the football on Sunday, so Mrs GT might object, and she'd be right to as well.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    So this black cat sounds interesting, anyone here actually seen it?

It's just an over-fed mutant. Much like the other inhabitants of the lower end of the Valley... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • my apprentice (well not now he's time served but you get the idea) saw it whilst doing a rewire for liam, i saw it sat down in the bushes, it's defo not a domestic cat, it's huge, karl said that it looked similar size to a labrador, i couldn't tell because it was sat down, lurking in the bushes. how lucky you are liam moving to house, as mad mtb fan, then finding out you got black runs at the bottom of the garden, literally.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • stumpyjon
    I think they are more likely to be at the top of his garden, everywhere is up in Rossendale and Lee Quarry's no exception.

• does anyone fancy meeting up here on a sunday morning mid feb?
  • aint that the truth stumpy...up to get out...up to get in...long long steep ups at that...lol. keeps you warm on a winters day tho...anyone else looking forward to getting out in the snow on sunday/monday/tuesday?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • im out on sunday but round my usual area (irwell sculpture trail and surrounding areas) gonna be a cold one but it shouldnt be to bad!

im testing my new spd's so im quite giddy :lol: :oops:
  • i'm out tomorrow up onto mary townley via cloughbridge, but may go up to hapton via the big aerials (burnley way), got new endura tech pants to try, unfortunatly my new event jacket didn't arrive yet at ride on
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    i live 20 mins drive away & have been a few times now & no way would i go without doing a minimum of 4 laps of the black.VERY SHORT.

i appreciate we are all at different levels but the red is just too boring WHY not do the black.

its all ridable without any fuss & if you can,t get momentum @ lee quarry then for god sake don,t go anywhere near stainburn.

its ok or a decent blast for a quicky & to hone your skills & the guys with ltd resources have done ok but thats about it its ok.
  • i-drive wrote:
    i live 20 mins drive away & have been a few times now & no way would i go without doing a minimum of 4 laps of the black.VERY SHORT.

i appreciate we are all at different levels but the red is just too boring WHY not do the black.

its all ridable without any fuss & if you can,t get momentum @ lee quarry then for god sake don,t go anywhere near stainburn.

its ok or a decent blast for a quicky & to hone your skills & the guys with ltd resources have done ok but thats about it its ok.

Fair comments, but how the hell do you get there in 20 min from Huddersfield lol :wink: