Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Littigator wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Scalpfest along the Embankment last night, took a mini roadie peloton of 3 whilst sitting up and nonchalantly adjusting my bag, loved it - not sure they did.

Lovely new tarty white tires are in place as well now - still waiting on the damn Halo wheelset though, grrr.

So you've got the white tyres, seat and chain now surely you need white bars http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K0046

Jash, I know you aspire to my sky high levels of cool 8) but if you dare buy those white halo rims before me I will find out where you live , steal them from your bike and fit pink tassles to your handlebars in biking retribution :P

I reckon I should have them by the end of September, finally!
    The fact that you know where to purchase pink tassles worries me, or will you just use the ones currently attached to your bike?

:lol:
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Littigator wrote:
    also, ditch the leather satchel thingy and get a back pack, but do NOT under any circumstances get panniers unless you have an irresistible urge to grow a beard and start drinking ale that requires a tea strainer
    Panniers are practical and efficient, do it you know you want to. [now I'm off to strain my pint and trim my beard]
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Who has the link to the game on Facebook. I searched under 'THE GAME' and couldnt find it. Someone also has it in there sig but that only took me to my home page???

Got soaked this morning, but I loved it, great ride in and I'll be going home the long way.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    cjcp wrote:
    Beseku - welcome indeed to The Game. As Litts says, get some lycra. That alone adds about 5mph to your speed.

I should also add some balance to my report this morning.

There was a chap on a red carbon Trek on Embankment this morning. I got within 20 yards of, but only after giving it some stick. I've seent his chap before: he's got sprocket tatoos on his right calf. Lights changing prevented me getting any closer, but I strongly suspect that I had I had the nerve to try to overtake, there would have been a loud roar with the mauling of my life swiftly thereafter.

Ooh ooh, I've seen him as well...damn he's fast. :shock:

I've sparred with him a couple of times (can't remember the result ahem) but I've always come away with jelly legs.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Lovely new tarty white tires are in place as well now - still waiting on the damn Halo wheelset though, grrr.

I hope you've adjusted your FCN accordingly young man!! :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    This goes beyond tart.

You sir, are a blancmange.jpg
    blancmange
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Who has the link to the game on Facebook. I searched under 'THE GAME' and couldnt find it. Someone also has it in there sig but that only took me to my home page???

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17813152777

Should do the trick

btw...hello everyone, I'm here for a day then off tomorrow, silly boat show season for me at the mo

What's happening about freewheel?...are we all meeting up? (well those of us who are going)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Beseku - welcome indeed to The Game. As Litts says, get some lycra. That alone adds about 5mph to your speed.

I should also add some balance to my report this morning.

There was a chap on a red carbon Trek on Embankment this morning. I got within 20 yards of, but only after giving it some stick. I've seent his chap before: he's got sprocket tatoos on his right calf. Lights changing prevented me getting any closer, but I strongly suspect that I had I had the nerve to try to overtake, there would have been a loud roar with the mauling of my life swiftly thereafter.

Ooh ooh, I've seen him as well...damn he's fast. :shock:

I've sparred with him a couple of times (can't remember the result ahem) but I've always come away with jelly legs.

I saw the red and black frame from a slight angle and, for a brief moment, thought it might be one of the Riders of the Apocalypse, Greg66.

Then I realised it was far to early in the day for him. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I was coming up behind this bloke yesterday (stop that sniggering!) and what's that I see attached to his pannier rack? Herman's safety wing! I didn't think these things actually existed in the wild. He was going at a fair speed, I think he just had it on there to increase his FCN. Needless to say I dropped him like the FCN cheat he was.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Littigator wrote:
    ... but do NOT under any circumstances get panniers unless you have an irresistible urge to grow a beard and start drinking ale that requires a tea strainer

Oi! I resemble that remark!

:D

Oh and I'm thinking of getting panniers too.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • snooks wrote:
    Who has the link to the game on Facebook. I searched under 'THE GAME' and couldnt find it. Someone also has it in there sig but that only took me to my home page???

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17813152777

Should do the trick

btw...hello everyone, I'm here for a day then off tomorrow, silly boat show season for me at the mo

What's happening about freewheel?...are we all meeting up? (well those of us who are going)

We have a separate thread for the Freewheel (SCR isn't the only thread on this forum, just the most popular!) Trying to arrange local meets first I think then possibly a meet point up in town?

Although if it's as busy as last year it might be best for us to just ride around and shout "THE GAME?!?!?!?!" at any other riders on a flyer!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    girv73 wrote:
    Littigator wrote:
    ... but do NOT under any circumstances get panniers unless you have an irresistible urge to grow a beard and start drinking ale that requires a tea strainer

Oi! I resemble that remark!

:D

Oh and I'm thinking of getting panniers too.

See, as I said there really is no hope for some people :wink:

• Litt, I've just read your sig and you still claim to be a shaved like a laydee but then state you have hairyer (??) legs......how can this be?? Surely "shaved like a lady" and "hairy legs" are mutually exclusive states, unless of course your trying to play mind games with people by keeping one leg wooly and the other leg shaved so depending on what side you pass someone your FCN changes :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Am I the only one or does anyone else hear "the Hovis commercial" music in their heads when they (invariably) pass someone equiped with panners?

I've now developed an additional symptom, a voiceover in thick cod yorkshire accent narrates this:
    Aye it were tuff carrying bag o'coal and t'baby at same time but war Dad were down mine see and times were 'ard

As I give the wobbling oldster plenty of room - just in case they lose continence as I go by and get side splashed.

Unless you are transporting uranium there can be no need to pannier up. Word
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • True Yorkshire folk don't even bother with the "t"

I were down pub not down mine when baby were born. We 'ad need of panniers in them days I'll tell thee.
  • Greg T
    True Yorkshire folk don't even bother with the "t"

Why's that JB? Do you get language cheaper without the optional "T"?
    Ah would buy your speakin' young 'un but the price you ask is higher than the chimney on Cat and Fiddle roof

EDITED FOR THE TYKES

Yes I am saying you are tight.

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    edited September 2008
    As my father used to proudly tell me "A Yorkshire man is a Scotsman with the generosity squeezed out of him". And if my father is anything to go by, he's right. :shock:
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    I resent that slur on scotsmen, who is spreading rumours we are generous?

Oh and I use panniers because of repeated shoulder injuries that mean if I wear a rucksack on a bike for any length of time it hurts (and that's real man pain!).
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Littigator
    Litt, I've just read your sig and you still claim to be a shaved like a laydee but then state you have hairyer (??) legs......how can this be?? Surely "shaved like a lady" and "hairy legs" are mutually exclusive states, unless of course your trying to play mind games with people by keeping one leg wooly and the other leg shaved so depending on what side you pass someone your FCN changes :-D

Fair point! I think you should now find this suitably corrected.

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If anyone has any common abusive stereotypes about Italians I'd love to hear them :)
  • biondino
    And no, until I get my fixie I can't pedal backwards, in case you were wondering.
  • biondino
    And no, until I get my fixie I can't pedal backwards, in case you were wondering.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    biondino wrote:
    If anyone has any common abusive stereotypes about Italians I'd love to hear them :)

Now, where shall I start...? :wink:
  • Greg T
    Coriander wrote:
    Now, where shall I start...? :wink:

Well with your new avatar marking you out to be a burd I imagine the queue is forming as we speak / type.

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hammered it this morning. Towed someone along Embankment from Horseguards. Think they had team kit of some kind, but I had my head down all the way so don't know. Just done speed work on the treadmill too, so I'm now going to sleep at my desk until it's time to go home.

Thank you and goodnight.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Looks like I'll kick off today's tales of scalping's.......don't worry tho I won't bore you to much as frankly there was sod all action on the way in today.
    Took an old school road bike and a spesh allez on the first climb within a mile of the house, think I've done the spesh guy before but the old roadie bike (ridden by a younger rider) was wobbling all over the place so I came past e-x-t-r-a w-i-d-e, much to the annoyance of the car up my ar5e!

Had my usual manic sprint down Knight's Hill ruined by a bus at the bus stop before the nice drop, meant I had to cover the brakes and hang in behind the X5 follwing it so no high speeds attained (just north of the limit......). From Norwood to Brixton was dead as far as targets at an equal or higer FCN was concerned with the usual hybrid/slicked MTB's disappearing behind me.

Spotted a Cannondale roadie on the approach to Vauxhall and caught up with him by the light's at Vauxhall Cross. He was well ahead of the ASL and teetering in the "safe space" next to the traffic island in between the lanes so a good 5-10 metres ahead before the lights changed. Also had 2 Badboy's next to me but I wasn't worried much about them :-)

Lights when green and I sprinted off to catch the Cannondale roadie, thankfully he also turned to cross Vauxhall Bridge and pulled over towards the central bus lane. I managed to get past him before cresting the Col de Vauxhall and headed down to get lined up for the lights at the top. Nothing interesting at the light's but I did pick up an aero bar equipped Raleigh a bit further up Vauxhall Bridge Road. I spotted him approaching as we came to some light's, which turned red, and I was hoping he was going to be a c0ck and RLJ - he didn't thankfully so it was game on! Slipped past him without so much as a whimper as I removed his scalp before hopping off my bike to cross the road to get onto Rochester Row.

Let's just hope tonight brings some more fun, as after 4 days off the bike and one day on the tube I've got some energy to blow off :twisted:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    :cry: Mrs Littigator was back on the bike today so it was back to following in her wake again.

Even worse, as it's her first day back for a couple of weeks and the ankle is still sore we went doubly slowly.

I lost count of the number of scalps that literally flew past me, I could hear them in my head calling Catch me...come on catch me tee hee

Aaaarrrrggghhhm I spent the whole journey chewing my handlebars with frustration

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Littigator wrote:
    :cry: Mrs Littigator was back on the bike today so it was back to following in her wake again.

Even worse, as it's her first day back for a couple of weeks and the ankle is still sore we went doubly slowly.

I lost count of the number of scalps that literally flew past me, I could hear them in my head calling Catch me...come on catch me tee hee

Aaaarrrrggghhhm I spent the whole journey chewing my handlebars with frustration

you should hook up a cable and get some resistance training in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:

Is that why your face is so funny?

I thought you'd had MRSA and your gob had melted.

So then....

I was humming along the embankment this morning - well out of the danger zone and comfortable with my bigger gearing....

Artic lorry goes by towing - borderline team kitted shaved (like a drafting lady) roadie....

The speed difference and ambush nature of the the mechanically assisted scalping meant I had no chance of catching the lift so off they go by Chelsea Hospital.

Bugger....

But what is this, several miles later going by Walkabout at temple well if it isn't our man, sans lorry pulling his shapely silky legs along.

Wa Bam.

I gave him a good six foot berth - he has drafting previous and I wasn't feeling like Mother Fecking Teresa.

Now then - pull up a seat post....

Going home last night waiting at the lights just before Parsons Green what should come alongside but a racing snake roadie in team kit.....

What team you ask.....

GB team kit.

Oh yes! a dude in GB shorts and team halfords bike hut / GB cycling crossover thingy top...

The mother load of scalps is right there in front of me GB TEAM KIT!!! the clanging of his medals drowns out the traffic noise.......

Christ on a bike! He's towing two other guys and as the lights change we are all after him!

DISASTER!

At the ped crossing mid Parsons Green a Mum and two toddling daughters are mid crossing - the GB God target +2 chasers get through the gap but I can't so have to slow and stop.....

They are not seen again - I let the big fish slip through my fingers......

• msw
    msw Posts: 313
    Does anyone do Liverpool Road in Islington? Quite a few bikes mornings and evenings, and had a nice chase with a fixie this morning (well he dropped me and I nearly caught him before I had to turn...). I am getting sucked in and thanking the Lord for my panniers and beard...
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."