Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131

I think most of us where just amazed to actually bump into another game player! I mean what are the chances :-)
    Another late finish today?

No, doing Richmond park 3 lap challeneg tomorrow AM!
  • Lose Yourself's on iTunes ... volume's up ... getting changed ...

BATTLE TIME IS HERE :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DAMN I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

6.45pm and I'm still at work on a Friday. No game for me. Pooh bags, big pooh bags.

Still have time to post on Bike Radar though..... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DAGNABBIT!!!

Just out of a meeting and getting changed now. Looks like I've missed the fun.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    first points in a long time for me today

Lycra shaven roadie with racks dropped by hairy plain clothed roadie, especially as it was my fist two wheeld trip on almso 2 weeks :D
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • cjcp
    Not a sausage last night.

Sewinnman - how did you get on? Weather looks ok this week so might have a go this evening.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Got sent a link to a site promoting a less full on take to cycling gear, but it does have one gem on it:
    roadbattlefield.jpg
    Copenhagen Cycle Chic

Badges 3/4 way down the page which are apparenly from actual cycle gear, I put the recent post on to ask where from, it would fit well with the earlier slogans for the SCR identification chat!
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • cjcp
    Ahem! No slippage to page 2, please. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Morning everyone. No scalps today but twice while pootling I was overtaken (by an Allez and then, unusually, by another Focus) and both times I managed to drop them pretty swiftly, on Goldhawk Road and the drag up to Marble Arch respectively. Made me feel like a man. Managed to ride 68 miles on Saturday, which is my second most ever in a day (and the longest, the stage into Paris on my charity ride in July, doesn't count as so much of it was at snail's pace). AND I cleaned my steed! Result all round.
  • cjcp
    Road the race bike in today because I couldn't be bothered to change tyres etc after taking it out in the Park on Saturday.

Only action was a hybrid moving very swiftly along Embankment and a roadie with tri bars who was drafting him (the shame). They were clearly racing, and wanting to avoid such entanglements - they would both have given their left nuts to jump on my wheel and get ahead of the other - I hung back and out about 10 yards while the traffic cleared. Once it did, I went and kept the pace high. And that was that. A quiet morning really.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Strange experience this morning. I felt like I couldn't breathe - as if I was being held underwater, or had plastic at the back of my throat.

Then looked down to check the power figures and saw I was riding out of my skin. Ah. That will be it then. :roll:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Strange experience this morning. I felt like I couldn't breathe - as if I was being held underwater, or had plastic at the back of my throat.

Then looked down to check the power figures and saw I was riding out of my skin. Ah. That will be it then. :roll:

Ditto. I don't know if it was the first "chill" post-summer, but I didn't take my inhaler and my recovery was a lot longer.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I'm sulking - damned RLJers. At a junction today where even most hardened RLJers wait I was in a group of six. I was the second away and sitting on the wheel of a skinny boy on a road bike. And keeping up with him. (Which was quite happy making as in evolutionary terms he was about 1.5 million years away from me.) We dropped the others. The next lights were red and I was the only one who stopped while all five of them went sailing on. And, because if you stop at this particular set of lights you'll invariably be caught at the next as well, that was the last I saw of them.

'Snot fair.

But the carrot cake I was carrying in on my rack arrived at work in one piece! Cake all round at 12.30 at the top of the Duke of York steps to celebrate its robustness and solidity. What do you mean, no thanks???
  • Sewinman
    Re Richmond Park. I was succesful in terms of setting a time that can be improved upon...ahem! My mate managed to fall off his bike on a straight bit approaching the Sheen gate turn-off - he is ok but has cuts and bruises all over. Bit of a downer really. He managed to lock his front wheel somehow whilst going a good speed.

Out of interest - why does everyone go anti-clockwise?

I did another fixie today. His cadence was again quite high but he was not going very fast.....like my 4th gear speed. I am starting to realise that there are some very girly fixie riders out there who must have a gear ratio for a childs bike. He kept over taking me at lights and i just punished him over and over. It felt a hollow victory and i probably would not hang said scalp on my belt. Can these types really be classed as fixies!?

Also had the first numb head/can't speak feeling of the year. Getting cold :(
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Re Richmond Park. I was succesful in terms of setting a time that can be improved upon...ahem! My mate managed to fall off his bike on a straight bit approaching the Sheen gate turn-off - he is ok but has cuts and bruises all over. Bit of a downer really. He managed to lock his front wheel somehow whilst going a good speed.

H(TF) did he manage that?
    Sewinman wrote:

Same reason water spins that way down the plug hole. It's a well know fact* that there's a Richmond Park in NZ where they all ride clockwise.

The approach to the hill clockwise has a deceptive gradient leading to it for quite some way, which can sap your legs without you realising it. And the roundabouts are easier to negotiate if you're going anti-
    Sewinman wrote:
    who must have a gear ratio for a childs bike.

:shock: light blue touch paper and retire ...

*that may not be the right word

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sewinman wrote:

I did another fixie today. His cadence was again quite high but he was not going very fast.....like my 4th gear speed. I am starting to realise that there are some very girly fixie riders out there who must have a gear ratio for a childs bike. He kept over taking me at lights and i just punished him over and over. It felt a hollow victory and i probably would not hang said scalp on my belt. Can these types really be classed as fixies!?

sounds like a faker... but in fairness if you have gears and proper legs you should be able to take a SS/fixie on the flat...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Well I got done by a Giant FCR this morning. Technically it's a fast hybrid.. but come on, it's a full on road bike with flat bars stuck on. Not fair I say! Plus his tyres were tiny, looked like 21s at most. What a cheat. He drafted me for a while uphill then breezed past with a cheery "morning". I kept up with him as we went down hill but he was a bit ahead and a lorry got between us and he lost me at a roundabout, guess he went another way.

Only saw one other bike and that was my courier mate, but he wasn't playing.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Sewinman
    edited September 2008
    Greg66 wrote:

H(TF) did he manage that?

He is not sure, he was standing on his pedals looking at the signs and he thinks he pressed his front brake too hard and it just locked. He has cuts on every extremity and a huge road rash on his back and thigh.

Re R. park - yeah that hill is a bugger. I will try anti next time.

Re Fixies - have i said something controversial?
  • Bah. Only just managed to log on for the first time in weeks and that required a new username etc. Bikeradar kept insisting I couldn't log on...perhaps it didn't want me to be a Totalnewbie any more...

Still in short sleeves, me.
    Formerly a Totalnewbie.
  • biondino
    Autumn is a tricky time. This week it's basically fine - cool when you set off but no worries after 5 minutes. It's when the temperature falls to below about 10 degrees when it starts getting uncomfortable (again, only at first) and knowing what to wear becomes an art form.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Bah. Only just managed to log on for the first time in weeks and that required a new username etc. Bikeradar kept insisting I couldn't log on...perhaps it didn't want me to be a Totalnewbie any more...

I had that, the admin said I should clear out my cookies, that seemed to do the trick... bit late now though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman wrote:

like all bikes there can be fair difference in speed, i see some really quick ones and one's I pass even with paniers and basket full, on my travel's.

if i do go to richmound park for ride rather than a cut though, i go clockwise, as i like the fastish decent to kingston gate at the end.
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Autumn is a tricky time. This week it's basically fine - cool when you set off but no worries after 5 minutes. It's when the temperature falls to below about 10 degrees when it starts getting uncomfortable (again, only at first) and knowing what to wear becomes an art form.

I've got a great long sleeved base layer I've been wearing for the last four weeks. :shock: Force of habit. <loud cough> Stops me getting a chill.

The gilet will be next. It's in my bag just in case.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Bah. Only just managed to log on for the first time in weeks and that required a new username etc. Bikeradar kept insisting I couldn't log on...perhaps it didn't want me to be a Totalnewbie any more...

I had that, the admin said I should clear out my cookies, that seemed to do the trick... bit late now though

Ah. So it does. They have not yet replied to me, I did email them...

Looks like I have two accounts now...
  • cjcp
    Sewinman wrote:

At least you finished your three laps. Set a PB on the first lap, then, having not eaten all day, started to flag badly on the second and once the deer wandering in the road and some obstructive chopper in a 4WD had had their way, I would have needed a blinding lap for the third to set an overall PB. Decided to bin it at the start of the third lap and scoot off to buy some wine to have with dinner instead.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I've got a great long sleeved base layer I've been wearing for the last four weeks. :shock: Force of habit. <loud cough> Stops me getting a chill.

The gilet will be next. It's in my bag just in case.

Hmm - even in the depths of winter last year i just wore a T-shirt and shorts. It was cold for about 5 mins but i warmed up quickly. Whenever i tried wearing more clothes i found it too hot. Maybe i am just well 'ard though.
  • biondino
    I just hate stepping out of the house cold, especially as, in winter, I'll have been cold in bed, cold in the shower, cold while getting dressed. Hate it. At least if I'm wrapped up warm (and my new bib tights will get a lot of use I'm sure, as will my Rapha arm-warmers!) then that particular bit won't be so unpleasant.

CJCP, what's your 1-lap PB? Mine's 19.56 which I'm sure is pathetic.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Hmm - even in the depths of winter last year i just wore a T-shirt and shorts. It was cold for about 5 mins but i warmed up quickly. Whenever i tried wearing more clothes i found it too hot. Maybe i am just well 'ard though.

The old wives' tale (to which I subscribe, BTW) is that if you don't keep your knees warm in the cold air you'll end up with crippling tendonitis in them as an old man. It's close to bib knicker weather now.

For me, it's the fingers and toes. I get mild chillblanes in my toes (chill nip?) now very easily from years of riding with ultra thin or no socks and normal cycling shoes throughout the winter, so I have to wear neoprene booties when the cold hits.

Re child's gearing: I made that crack about 150 pages ago, and boy oh boy, did the SSers gets all agitated!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    [
    For me, it's the fingers and toes. I get mild chillblanes in my toes (chill nip?) now very easily from years of riding with ultra thin or no socks and normal cycling shoes throughout the winter, so I have to wear neoprene booties when the cold hits.

I use the neoprene overshoes too, and I'm currently scouting for full length tights.

It won't be long before the snugly fitting fleece hat makes an appearance.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    I just hate stepping out of the house cold, especially as, in winter, I'll have been cold in bed, cold in the shower, cold while getting dressed. Hate it. At least if I'm wrapped up warm (and my new bib tights will get a lot of use I'm sure, as will my Rapha arm-warmers!) then that particular bit won't be so unpleasant.

CJCP, what's your 1-lap PB? Mine's 19.56 which I'm sure is pathetic.

Biondino - do you have heating in your house? :)

It's 17:53, which is in the context of a 3-lap PB attempt. I've never actually belted it for one lap though. I doubt I'd get below 17:30 though because I'm blowing out of my a*se most of the time anyway and can never sustain any power on the flats. Also, if you're feeling bad, you'll lose a load of time on the hill from Kingston Gate and in the recovery after you've reached the top.

Your time isn't pathetic at all. It's an average speed in excess of 20mph. Between the inclines, false flats and side winds, you don't really get much respite around the Park. You'll probably find that your average speed around the Park would be slower than on most 10m TT courses.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."