Silly commuting racing

Comments

• LiT, aren't you meant to be going to France today? Or you leaving this evening???
    As long as your back on Millbank on or around 6PM (GMT) Friday it's all good tho!

Yep off to gay Paris in about half an hour, then back tomorrow evening. Don't worry, I'll be there for beers!

I've got my priorities straight... :wink:
  • dafruk wrote:
    Probably my fondest cycling memory was a 2 week tour through belgium ending in Luxembourg. (please note if you plan on doing this the ascent into luxembourg is 5km of 8% slope, avoid doing this on an 8 speed city bike).

Some of the best drink I've ever had. I was a particular fan of Orval, but pretty much anything by the trapists was worth a go. Those monks are a cunning bunch, worked out how to get a job of little hard work and lots of booze.

Mmmm but no sex! Not that cunning after all those monks...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    No sex? Monks in the middle ages probably had more sex than any other group in history! Apart from maybe popes. Always shagging, popes.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dafruk wrote:
    Probably my fondest cycling memory was a 2 week tour through belgium ending in Luxembourg. (please note if you plan on doing this the ascent into luxembourg is 5km of 8% slope, avoid doing this on an 8 speed city bike).

Some of the best drink I've ever had. I was a particular fan of Orval, but pretty much anything by the trapists was worth a go. Those monks are a cunning bunch, worked out how to get a job of little hard work and lots of booze.

Mmmm but no sex! Not that cunning after all those monks...

Not from what I've heard... some monks would *ahem* help other monks through the night

as for belgian beers you have to taste Karmeleit Triple it's the business
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino wrote:
    No sex? Monks in the middle ages probably had more sex than any other group in history! Apart from maybe popes. Always shagging, popes.
    Monks having sex with other monks doesn't count! Of course today’s Catholic priests have rather more worrying predilections.

[Irony] Ah, the Church, what a wonderful institution. [/Irony]
  • biondino
    I think you'll find if monks want to have sex with other monks it totally counts! It's still sex, and presumably still fun for them, I reckon that's enough :)
  • biondino wrote:
    I think you'll find if monks want to have sex with other monks it totally counts! It's still sex, and presumably still fun for them, I reckon that's enough :)

I could take the beer and free time aspect but I'm going to have to leave the monk/monk action on this occassion, unless they make lady monks these days...

... actually I'm not sure where the missus would stand on that one, especially being a Muslim and all. :lol:
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Yes, come along people can we all focus on the matter in hand gnurk which is racing, let's have less talk of smut and sex

We wouldn't want to stain an otherwise clean sheet snort now would we!

Let's all be grown up about this and behave like adults, sex is a perfectly normal part of everyday life (including for monks historically) and there is no need to behave in a childish manner, we need to get a firm grip on this paaaaaah hee hee before someone gets the wrong idea hmmmm?!

what?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CEASE!!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • This is not helping my pretence that i am a proper businesswoman working hard in the business centre in the BA lounge... I keep laughing!

Stop it!

I'm in the train for half an hour and all of a sudden it's monk sex! Last time I looked away it went binary...

there's no trusting you people...
  • cjcp wrote:
    CEASE!!!!
    CJ: internet gamer and Robotwars veteran! :wink:
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Alas this is the end of the game for me for now at least for today I received the ultimate scalping you could in fact call it a ritual beheading - redundancy:(

And unless I'm mistaken this is the silly commuter race, oh well I guess the four months paid leave will give me time to sleep eat & drink more.

I'll be there on Friday still but only as a civilian :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Alas this is the end of the game for me for now at least for today I received the ultimate scalping you could in fact call it a ritual beheading - redundancy:(

And unless I'm mistaken this is the silly commuter race, oh well I guess the four months paid leave will give me time to sleep eat & drink more.

Aahhhhhh crap! That's awful - sorry to hear it.

Well, you could still cruise around doling out scalpings in your spare time...

See you on friday anyway - drown your sorrows!
  • There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't :wink:

I work on the basis that there are three types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't. :lol:

Ouch! :P
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

ITB - sorry to hear that. But, chin up; every cloud has a silver lining. For example, in between looking for other employment, you could spend four months scalping. :D Seriously though, these things work themselves out.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Aahhhhhh crap! That's awful - sorry to hear it.

See you on friday anyway - drown your sorrows!

ta I did laugh whilst typing that post I had a picture of me in full aero + yellow jersey cycling around the streets during rush hour at a steady 10-15 MPH making a lot of players very happy a bit like the "phantom brompton" still makes me laugh now.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

ITB - sorry to hear that. But, chin up; every cloud has a silver lining. For example, in between looking for other employment, you could spend four months scalping. :D Seriously though, these things work themselves out.

Thanks to be honest i'm not worried I welcome the change as my current job is not exactly what I had in mind career wise but i'm more worried that I can no longer officially scalp as I wont really be commuting.

extended winter training here I come
  • Hi all,

I've got to say this is the funniest thread I've ever read.

As a newbie I was hoping for a bit of clarification from the powers that be. On a ride home last week I caught some hybrid thingy going up a long hill. I thought he was sitting a bit upright and relaxed (with his best "I'm not trying" posture) until I realised that his bike was motorized. I went past but couldn't drop him and was wondering where I stood. Should I have dropped him like a bad habit or kudos to me for catching him in the first place? If all else fails can I claim points for novelty value?

Almost forgot, I'm a 9 or 10 (beard dependent) on a MTB. (I know, I know!!!)
  • biondino
    Sounds like kudos but no scalp. If we assume that you *could* have scalped him had he continued at his original pace, but when you overtook him he just turned the revs up, you can certainly claim it as some kind of moral victory, but technically, it's little more than a good story :)

Nice to have you here! How was reading 160 pages of thread in one go? You DID read the whole lot, right?
  • Well first off, welcome Nick R :D
    Sounds like you did a sterling job catching the guy going up the hill, especially since he was on a hybrid with an assist! Id say he was probably above you in the FCN. We don't have any adjuster's for motorized bikes, unless of course they happen to be one of those obnoxious scooters! Keep up the good work and soon you'll be getting to work in record time, have calves that look like chiseled granite and have women throwing themselves in the road in front of you :-)

ITB - Sorry to hear your bad news. If you want to carry on playing the game I'm sure we can make an exception during your "down time". Just remember when you go for your job interviews to ask if they participate in the Bike2Work scheme :-D As CJCP said, every cloud has a silver lining and maybe yours could be the chance to nab a new bike at a cut down price!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kudos is it then. That's fine by me.

I think he must have upped the revs but couldn't be sure. I'm more than happy that once I'd caught him he didn't leave me for dead, but if I see him again he's mine! :twisted:

Fortunately I've been reading from near the start but have only just plucked up the courage to join in. Think it'd take all week to read 160 pages! But rest assured, I have read them all. What else can get me through the day?!?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    ITB - As CJCP said, every cloud has a silver lining and maybe yours could be the chance to nab a new bike at a cut down price!

Is there room on Earth for more bikes for ITB??? But, sorry to hear the bad news, ITB, though as you say, it may not be a bad thing. Taking voluntary redundancy was one of the best things I ever did.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Chaps and chapesses, I have a problem. Occasionally, and it is only occasionally, I actually feel bad about scalping someone. For example, a week or so ago, I overtook an older guy on a road bike (same FCN as me from the look of it). Now, this was up a hill that I normally grind about 12mph, but seeing him ahead gave me the incentive to race up at nearly 20mph and settle back into looking calm and composed as I passed. However, I could tell that he was really struggling, as I normally do up that hill, and I'm a bit worried I made it seem just a little bit too easy to get past and drop him...
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Chaps and chapesses, I have a problem. Occasionally, and it is only occasionally, I actually feel bad about scalping someone. For example, a week or so ago, I overtook an older guy on a road bike (same FCN as me from the look of it). Now, this was up a hill that I normally grind about 12mph, but seeing him ahead gave me the incentive to race up at nearly 20mph and settle back into looking calm and composed as I passed. However, I could tell that he was really struggling, as I normally do up that hill, and I'm a bit worried I made it seem just a little bit too easy to get past and drop him...

Don't let your conscious get in the way of scalping someone! You made it up that hill faster then him because you are stronger! He could have tried to keep up but he didn't! What you describe sounds like most people's dream scalp - nothing hurts more then being done on a hill but likewise it takes a special kind of rider to muster up the strength to race up a hill - more so if it is one that you usually struggle up. Would you have been happy to ride up BEHIND him?

I didn't think so, remember you don't play the game - the game plays you!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    You're right, of course. It seems that the leg shaving has left me open to lady like emotions. A few good explosions should have me scalping properly again.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Hey guys and gals, Just wondering where a 27 stone, unshaved, hardtrail rider would come on the food chain :D ,

Its been 12 long months, I started doing 1 mile a day 12 months ago at 37 Stone (YEP NOT A TYPO !) I am now cycling 7 Miles in the morning and between 4 and 7 miles home (I still sometimes get the train home)

Im now 27 stone I have started to get my life back and even though I have a long way to go I can do my 7 mile commute in 28 mins,

The thing is I have had a couple of scalps in the last 2 weeks, Ok so they may have been tootlers but I will take what I can get :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    You're right, of course. It seems that the leg shaving has left me open to lady like emotions. A few good explosions should have me scalping properly again.

I feel your pain, I am without my usual ride and as such just can't have as much fun. Sure I have a much wider selection of targets for the time being but I don't think this bike was designed for such treatment!

Explosions of speed are now more of a hit and miss affair as the rusty chain struggles to stay on the chain rings. This along with the fact that I snapped one of the toe clip straps this morning! It was wearing thin but decided to give up totally as I pushed off. Thankfully I was getting going on the pavement so didn't loose my footing on the road! God how I miss my clipless pedals!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155 wrote:
    Hey guys and gals, Just wondering where a 27 stone, unshaved, hardtrail rider would come on the food chain :D ,

Its been 12 long months, I started doing 1 mile a day 12 months ago at 37 Stone (YEP NOT A TYPO !) I am now cycling 7 Miles in the morning and between 4 and 7 miles home (I still sometimes get the train home)

Im now 27 stone I have started to get my life back and even though I have a long way to go I can do my 7 mile commute in 28 mins,

The thing is I have had a couple of scalps in the last 2 weeks, Ok so they may have been tootlers but I will take what I can get :D

JAYSUS :shock:

Well done mate! You have lost the equivalent of me in the last year :P Just goes to show that even a small bike ride can help and 7 miles in 28 minutes is still averaging over 14MPH which is reasonable for a commute!
    Anyhow welcome aboard, keep up the good work and soon you'll have ur own scalp rug!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155 wrote:

ANYWHERE you like mate!!! :shock: :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    gb155 wrote:

JAYSUS :shock:

Well done mate! You have lost the equivalent of me in the last year :P Just goes to show that even a small bike ride can help and 7 miles in 28 minutes is still averaging over 14MPH which is reasonable for a commute!
    Anyhow welcome aboard, keep up the good work and soon you'll have ur own scalp rug!

Thanks Man, Im sure im seen as a very eary target, but my legs are good, They needed to be STRONG just to hold me up lol, I dont give in when pushed, sometimes thats a bad thing though lol, I am so addicted to this cycling lark now lol, by this time next year I want to be able to dump the MTB for a road bike and by July 2010 Im planning on doing the Manchester-Blackpool cycle, So I have set myself big time as such giving up will never be an option again for me.

Sorry rambling now lol
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.