Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    If you're interested, EBC are selling the Team frameset (the cool black ones too) with £300 knocked off for the duration of their sale. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 700m007210

For what it's worth, I test road one a month or so ago and have never ridden anything like it before, including the various carbon frames I tested at the same time. It truely is a jaw droppingly nice bike to ride...

Now I've just got to build the damn thing once it arrives...

Sh*t. I did not need to see this.

Sh*t.

Go on, you dirty little bugger. You want it. You know you want it. You love, don't you? You can't get enough of it. You filthy bugger ... [etc, with grunting and snorting]

Stop it. Now you acting like Littigator. You'll start stroking your calves if you're not careful.

But, yes, I would love to get my grubby little mitts on a Cervelo. I would, however, have to sell everything to get one.

[drool] I'm sure there's a space somewhere in my garage just that size [/drool]

HOT DAMN, almost NSFW!

Well you do get odd looks when you jaw hits the desk and your lovingly gazing at a bike frame.......when I took my bike down to the LBS for it's service I had a look at some of the frames they had hanging up and I'm sure it was a Cervelo that caught my eye due to the huge mass of carbon (I assume) around the BB it just looked ROCK SOLID!
    One day I will have a bike that cost's more then a second hand car........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    If you're interested, EBC are selling the Team frameset (the cool black ones too) with £300 knocked off for the duration of their sale. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 700m007210

For what it's worth, I test road one a month or so ago and have never ridden anything like it before, including the various carbon frames I tested at the same time. It truely is a jaw droppingly nice bike to ride...

Sh*t.

Go on, you dirty little bugger. You want it. You know you want it. You love, don't you? You can't get enough of it. You filthy bugger ... [etc, with grunting and snorting]

Stop it. Now you acting like Littigator. You'll start stroking your calves if you're not careful.

But, yes, I would love to get my grubby little mitts on a Cervelo. I would, however, have to sell everything to get one.

[drool] I'm sure there's a space somewhere in my garage just that size [/drool]

HOT DAMN, almost NSFW!

Well you do get odd looks when you jaw hits the desk and your lovingly gazing at a bike frame.......when I took my bike down to the LBS for it's service I had a look at some of the frames they had hanging up and I'm sure it was a Cervelo that caught my eye due to the huge mass of carbon (I assume) around the BB it just looked ROCK SOLID!
    One day I will have a bike that cost's more then a second hand car........

:D Indeed, though the Team is Alu rather than carbon. All the better for using every day I say!
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • cjcp wrote:

Sh*t.

Ooooooohhhhhh suits you sir, suits you. Were you with a Cervelo last night sir? Did she want it sir? Ooh, suit you!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can I just ask people to pause and stop quoting previous posts as each post is about a foot and a half long now :)
  • cjcp wrote:
    What is a sportif/Sportive? I think I'll do one even though I dont know what it is.

A long, organised ride, generally taking in hills. Check out the Cyclosportif sectionon the British Cycling website. There's one in western Scotland: the Belach Na Ba (sp.?) which has the longest rising road in the UK or something. There's also the Etape de Caledonia.

It's much like commutering: it's not a race, but it is. You're going for the best time that you can get, not to admire the countryside or stop to feed apples to horses in the field.

Don't do what I do, which is to think you can do 120 miles in the sun on the basis of the commute alone having done the first 80 miles at a good pace. The wheels don't just come off; they fly off. Down the hillside, into the stream below. Leaving you stranded, in the boonies, clutching your stomach, moaning like a girl (sorry, girls).

Just been looking at the Etape De Caledonia site. Exactlly they kind of thing I was looking for! I know I can cover that kind of distace (cycled Edinburgh to Falkirk to Edinburgh the other week) but I just need to get quicker! I have a goal.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Etape De Caledonia is a closed road event as well. A friend of mine did it last year and still raves about it.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    from next week im in! not sure my route to work yet but if you see someone on a black planet x or a blue cannondale r400 its me! going from barnet to london bridge
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    edited September 2008
    BJUK, you brought up the Tour of Bitain again.. nice

Now I live far far away but looking here
    http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/therace_ ... _index.asp
    It will be a fun day and I would get to see or even ride the hallowed Embankment and other landmarks of the London commuter peloton.

hmm tempting! how cheap is a train ticket? anyone got a golden pass?

ps pahahahaha cat 1 climb up to a 50m above sea level bridge!.. hahaha. excuse me while i pee myself.. bwahaha
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    biondino wrote:
    Can I just ask people to pause and stop quoting previous posts as each post is about a foot and a half long now :)

Will do :wink: tee hee!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • BJUK, you brought up the Tour of Bitain again.. nice

Now I live far far away but looking here
    http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/therace_ ... _index.asp
    It will be a fun day and I would get to see or even ride the hallowed Embankment and other landmarks of the London commuter peloton.

hmm tempting! how cheap is a train ticket? anyone got a golden pass?

ps pahahahaha cat 1 climb up to a 50m above sea level bridge!.. hahaha. excuse me while i pee myself.. bwahaha

I did spot that "hill climb" oringially and can onyl assume they are clutching at straws!
    The fact it's on a sunday might back the train ticket slighly cheaper but you'd probably be best checking on the national rail site for that!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I am and it's messing about saying cheap £40 one second then telling me the journey from Leeds take 1 hour and is £11.. didn't know they had Greg66, Littigator AND JashB motoring on National express nowadays!

getting there for the start of the Grand Prix is impossible as teh first train gets to KX at 10:45 and for some reason the tickets update to a +1 hour journey to St Pancras if you decide you want that... grr I can cycle to the river in 5 mins from KX I reckon..
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Me and th missus are going to be there hopefully supporting the her brother who should be riding, although we have to duck out before the end :(

As for a pub that was mentioned earlier, there is one ( a Wetherspoons I think) on the corner of Tower Hill and Minories, we'd be able to catch them going past and back that way...and see the (ahem) Hill Climb (bwaaaah ha haa haaa haaaaaa)
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    Me and th missus are going to be there hopefully supporting the her brother who should be riding, although we have to duck out before the end :(

As for a pub that was mentioned earlier, there is one ( a Wetherspoons I think) on the corner of Tower Hill and Minories, we'd be able to catch them going past and back that way...and see the (ahem) Hill Climb (bwaaaah ha haa haaa haaaaaa)

I dunno, I was thinking of bringing the kids and I'm not sure if they'll make it up the, ahem, hill on foot.......but then it's usually on the descents that most accidents happen........don't blink you'll miss it!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Littigator wrote:

looking at the map you're thinking of The minories (the spoonies is hidden further back)

That really isn't a very good place to watch it imo

Near Whitehall there are pubs which are on the course (I watched the tdf opening ceremony along there) although the embankment you get to see them forward and back... so *gulp* the walkabout would be a prime spot (with the New Zealand bar on top of it)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator
    ....sorry hit send before the end...

anyway, so it;'s a case of see them twice on each lap in the straight or see themn on a corner once each lap I guess?!

• Littigator
    if on the straight the Walkabout sounds like a good spot I guess

• itboffin
    Where in the FCN would this little SINGLE SPEED number sit?

Surely this would be perfect for GregT & Greg66 or perhap cjcp & LITT, LiT & Cori, anyone who has a tag along commuter partner, the combinations are endless, question is who would claim the scalps?

2827267175_809956573f.jpg

Yes I do have too much time on my hands, I just finished added 1mm spacers to my chainrings and swapping out perfectly good tyres for new Conti ultra sports, now if the damn weather would just choose a setting I might go out for a "training" ride.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    I wish I was unemployed.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    Conti ultra sports.

Good luck with those, I've got a set that have done 120 miles only, yet punctured 3 times.

You're welcome to them if you want, they're at the back of my shed under a pile of scalps.

My Gatorskins that I bought as a replacement have lasted me since January puncture free running at the same PSI on the same roads
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Conti ultra sports.

Good luck with those, I've got a set that have done 120 miles only, yet punctured 3 times.

You're welcome to them if you want, they're at the back of my shed under a pile of scalps.

My Gatorskins that I bought as a replacement have lasted me since January puncture free running at the same PSI on the same roads

Love too but i doubt they're 27 x 1 1/4 :wink:
  • itboffin wrote:
    Where in the FCN would this little SINGLE SPEED number sit?

Surely this would be perfect for GregT & Greg66 or perhap cjcp & LITT, LiT & Cori, anyone who has a tag along commuter partner, the combinations are endless, question is who would claim the scalps?

2827267175_809956573f.jpg

Yes I do have too much time on my hands, I just finished added 1mm spacers to my chainrings and swapping out perfectly good tyres for new Conti ultra sports, now if the damn weather would just choose a setting I might go out for a "training" ride.

CJCP on a single speed, now that would be worth seeing.....I'm sure there was a bike like that on Rory and Paddy's Tour of Britain (or whatever it was called), Rory McGraw took part in a vintage bike ride around the town where they gave you beer at the rest stops :P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    oh yes I saw a shaved roadie on a fixed yesterday who was slightly faster than me but I managed to keep up until he nipped on a pavement to skip lights FO SHAME

anyhoo, what's a shaved fixed FCN???
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    beer at the rest stops

Um, all my longer rides involve this!

*edit - except the six-hill killer two weekends ago. That involved tea. and huge amounts of slow release carbs.
  • attica
    biondino wrote:
    beer at the rest stops

Could explain why you look so cream crackered in your Avatavatar
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    Clever Pun wrote:
    oh yes I saw a shaved roadie on a fixed yesterday who was slightly faster than me but I managed to keep up until he nipped on a pavement to skip lights FO SHAME

That would be me (not the pavement nipper, the shaved fixed), add TdF lycra and it's a 1
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    Attica wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

That would be me (not the pavement nipper, the shaved fixed), add TdF lycra and it's a 1

it was a rapha Abersque(something like that) jersey heading from CW to the tunnel

I lost all respect for his ability as soon as he did that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    Attica wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    beer at the rest stops

Except that photo is from just after the six-hill killer, so you can blame it on tea, hot chocolate, flapjack, lucozade, powerade, chocolate and raspbery cake, geo bar but not beer!
  • attica
    biondino wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    beer at the rest stops

Except that photo is from just after the six-hill killer, so you can blame it on tea, hot chocolate, flapjack, lucozade, powerade, chocolate and raspbery cake, geo bar but not beer!

<Pedant corner> which means that all your longer rides don't involve beer at the rest stops.

Ha, gotcha!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    I wish I was unemployed.

Yes it's not bad although I had to contain my desire to drink beer before the sun was over the yard arm, ah! beer my achilles heal.

Strictly speaking i'm on gardening leave so therefore still gainfully employed that said I've never been green fingered more black and oily you'll see what I mean tomorrow.
  • biondino
    Wow I really DO wish I were on gardening leave.