Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg T wrote:
    I don't even squash moguls!

page4_1.jpg

You wouldn't dare.

I turn my back for ten minutes and we have had - in plain open site ANOTHER knitting circle discussion about male depilation and suddenly we are in the "gnarly" world of winter sports.

The only winter sport I'm interested in is the 2 cm icy man hole cover back wheel sliding ring closure snapper. I had to get the fire brigade out twice last winter to unclamp my butt cheeks from my saddle after slipping slidding gripping incidents.....

Video on U-tube if you are interested - yes doesn't he have big hands!

Is this not a Mongol?
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Is this not a Mongol?

Yes it is.

Top Asian War Lord spotting by VL....

We are on a higher plain than these eeejuts.

(Edited to swap Plane for Plain)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • We were humouring you Greg, humouring you...
  • Hmm... which is better, snowboarding or skiing?

I think the answer is 'who gives a flying f*ck at a rolling donut?!'

Neither of them is going to do you any good come 5.50pm on the Embankment anyway.
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T
    Neither of them is going to do you any good come 5.50pm on the Embankment anyway.

It was that picture of the Great Khan that did it.

VL's gone all "horde of Screaming Horseman" on us. Excellent let the killing and burning commence!

• Get out the iPod, tune to Carmina Burana, get out on the road, wreak some havoc...

Like it.
  • O Fortuna is a great tune. Shame Carl Orff was a committed Nazi, really... it leaves me struggling to appreciate the work on its artistic merits.
    (John F Kennedy)

• Greg T
    O Fortuna is a great tune. Shame Carl Orff was a committed Nazi, really... it leaves me struggling to appreciate the work on its artistic merits.

Vegans don't do daunting choral work - FACT.

If you are in the market for small team infantry tactics, dark operatic crap your kecks choral work or leather great coats it has to be the third reich every time.

Disclaimer

Yes they were awful weren't they etc.

• Ja, schade

But it's still a fab bit of music.

Many people were linked to ze nazis... I didn't realise the links with Orff were any more concrete than those with, say, Wagner.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get out the iPod, tune to Carmina Burana, get out on the road, wreak some havoc...

Like it.

Naaa, Flight of the Valkyries surely?

Problem with snowboarding is that once you are out of your 20's you cannot board without looking like a moron. It's the equivalent of your Dad wearing baggy jeans and a backwards baseball cap - just looks wrong - because of course it is wrong.
  • Greg T
    Many people were linked to ze nazis.

I was looking at coffee machines the other day

Krupps make one - you just know that a Krupps coffee maker will churn out the brews for a thousand years.

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Curry definitely for the 5th! I am thinking of coming on foot as I'd be too frightened to chain up the Focus outside in any case...
  • You know what, I've just suddenly thought I wonder if the people who make this:

krupps.jpg

are in any way linked to the people who make this:

Excavator_1.jpg

And yeah, I doubt it, but they share the 'Krupp' at the very least...

Ve make ze coffee maschine und auch ze giant excavator...

:D
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    opera blah blah

coffee machines - mumble mumble

third reich...

WHAT THE B*GGERY BLINKIN FLIP HAS ANY OF THAT GOT TO DO WITH BIKES AND RACING EHHHHH!!!!! (puff pant pant wheeze)

Sorry sniff work is getting to me a bit recently. I think I may just go for a little lie down. And please pretend I didn't mention the 'R' word because of course none of us do that

:oops:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino wrote:
    Curry definitely for the 5th! I am thinking of coming on foot as I'd be too frightened to chain up the Focus outside in any case...

That focus is a seriously serious-looking bike! I wouldn't chain it up outside either, unless I could lock everything to everything else and something very secure!

Maybe employ someone to hang around with a brick and keep an eye onthe bikes...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

That focus is a seriously serious-looking bike! I wouldn't chain it up outside either, unless I could lock everything to everything else and something very secure!

Maybe employ someone to hang around with a brick and keep an eye onthe bikes...

Good plan. I've often found there are groups of young men who are happy to watch my bike for as little as a fiver - I'm always delighted to employ their services and every time they have thrown in a wash and degrease, and my gears run smoother than ever! Thanks, youths!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Get out the iPod, tune to Carmina Burana, get out on the road, wreak some havoc...

Like it.

Naaa, Flight of the Valkyries surely?

Problem with snowboarding is that once you are out of your 20's you cannot board without looking like a moron. It's the equivalent of your Dad wearing baggy jeans and a backwards baseball cap - just looks wrong - because of course it is wrong.

In the same way that some owners look like their dogs, can you match a bike rider to a classical tune?

Eg. I'm more By the Beautiful Blue Danube, but a chap on a Brompton going like the clappers might be more Flight of the Bumble Bee. And what about Offenbach's The Can-Can? Would that be a rabble of mtbers along Millbank overtaking each other?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wagner was a German nationalist and dubious old racist but, from the point of view of his personal reputation, he had the good fortune to be dead long before the Reichstag burned.

Carl Orff, however, was very much alive. Carmina Burana is littered with racist and anti-semitic epithets (admittedly these are present in the medieval source material it is based on, but still...) He was one of very few composers to have submitted an alternative score to a Midsummer Nights Dream when the party banned Mendelssohn's. It must be said that there is no definitive proof that Orff was a Nazi sympathiser/collaborator but he doesn't come out of it smelling of (white) roses either...

Historischen zwischenspiele beseite...
    (John F Kennedy)

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the 5th I'm off to see Meshuggah

http://www.myspace.com/meshuggah

so I wont be attending but if I was it'd be on the brompton knowing I could drink and scalp more at the same time

bring on tonight, I'm really glad to be back in the saddle after a week of eating foie grais and barely cooked meat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • True true, he was dead indeedy.

But Orff was mates with the guy who wrote white roses, I thought...

Anyway, geringe Bedeutung...

I think the group of MTB-ers vying for supremacy might be something like theYakety Sax but less overused!
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    after a week of eating foie grais and barely cooked meat

God you poor thing my heart bleeds... :D

I'm a bit miffed as I have work drinks tonight leading to a cycle home in the dark, and my new light brackets haven't arrived :cry:

To risk it in the dark or not to risk it in the dark?

I think not...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Right all these classical references are making me feel out of my depth. Can we please return to simple topics that I understand like BIKES, RINGS, RACING, BEER etc please!

Having said that am dabbling in the piano concertos at the mo - Bartok, Prokofiev and of course Tchaikovsky. Got the complete works of Shostakovich at homes as well but not listened in years - can all be a tad depressing.

So Morpeth arms form 5:45 or so this friday then, who's in?
  • I can do this friday

I think that the general leaning is towards curry on the 5th though...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    after a week of eating foie grais and barely cooked meat

God you poor thing my heart bleeds... :D

I'm a bit miffed as I have work drinks tonight leading to a cycle home in the dark, and my new light brackets haven't arrived :cry:

To risk it in the dark or not to risk it in the dark?

I think not...

Good call! cycling home in the dark drunk, I'm sure that breaks the 1st rule and none of us would do that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Littigator wrote:
    LiT - it's impossible to do anything but draft a bus on Oxford Street

ITB - stop "tootling" you nancy, we have clearly established that the Game does not need opponents it is more state of mind!

Man up and pedal properly

Lets put this tootling into context avg speed over 15 miles this morning 18 mph max 28 mph I thank you 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

ITB - stop "tootling" you nancy, we have clearly established that the Game does not need opponents it is more state of mind!

Lets put this tootling into context avg speed over 15 miles this morning 18 mph max 28 mph I thank you 8)

(John F Kennedy)

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Good call VL
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • I really want my bike computer bracket doobree to arrive to see if the switch to the smaller gear has made me faster!

Litts what effect did changing up have?

Actually I should have posted this in the fixed/ss thread...

sorry.
  • Tonight's haul: 4 roadies (hairy), 1ss (probably not fixed, dropped too quickly to check), sundry MTBs and hybrids.

Thank you Silly Commuter Racing for giving my dirty competitive habit a name!

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    itboffin wrote:
    Littigator wrote:

I **almost** sprayed my dinner over the laptop as I read that! Perfect comedy timing sir :-)

On a slightly related side note, whilst sitting in traffic in my lovely tin box the other day it suddenly dawned on me......my bike is an SCR 3.0 - Silly Commuter Racing(er) :-) It has to be some sorta sign :lol: Probably one that I need to get another hobby........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5