Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Snowboarding. Along with eating peas, having red curly hair, keeping gnomes and RLJ'ing, one of the well-recognised signs of the Dark Lord himself, Satan.

Ugh.

Traumatic childhood event with a red-haired, gnome-loving, pea-eating RLJ-ing snowboarder?

Can't be helped, I guess.

Or are you a skier?

Back on topic!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    The same does not apply to my gloves or cycling cap, which are capable of knocking a buzzard off a sh*t truck from 50 paces.

So it's not just me whose hands smell like I've been wearing skunk mittens then!

It's only been a problem since I started using Specialized BG Gel gloves, before I used the BG Pro glove and had no problem.

Anyone else?

Having beaten the living daylights out of the gloves, they have stopped moving, and I now see that that they are BG Gel Specialized. However, any glove I wear will stick to high heaven.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Snowboarding. Along with eating peas, having red curly hair, keeping gnomes and RLJ'ing, one of the well-recognised signs of the Dark Lord himself, Satan.

Ugh.

Snowboarders = gays on trays.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Ugh.

Same is said of wakeboarders.

I reckon you're all just jealous... :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Does anyone else find they now break off conversations to chase, i mean cycle sedately past, people.

Was chatting to the college porter where i'd stopped to pick up my mail on my way home from work. And a hairy legged roadie whizzed passed, said, gotta go to the porter and promptly dropped the roadie! First proper scalp, whooopie. Everything else doesn't seem to count as I never leave anyone crying... But this guy I blasted past at 120rpm, he tried to give chase but just couldn't man up enough.

Also I currently have man-flu, has anyone else experienced the man-flu i-must-not-look-weak syndrome where even though you feel like arse you cycle twice as fast to prove a point?
  • God yes, I routinely push myself when I'm feeling a bit rough, reason being that it's no excuse - people can't see my FCN rating slip because I have a cold!

Also, the resultant coughing when stopped does a great job at hiding the heavy breathing :wink:
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Ugh.

Right (deep breath)...I've had my morning rant on another thread this morning, so please don't make me go down the gays on trays PRICKS ON STICKS route people...not this morning.

GOOD snowboarders are as competent and mountain savvy as any skier. I accept that snowboarding attracts a certain type of beginner who might extend themselves beyond their ability levels more than beginner skiers do but once past this level we're all as good as each other..whether you are an uber cool mountain god on a single piece of angel carved beauty or a nob on two sticks....SORRY I meant a skier! ahem
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • cjcp
    Also I currently have man-flu, has anyone else experienced the man-flu i-must-not-look-weak syndrome where even though you feel like ars* you cycle twice as fast to prove a point?

Yep, it's called male pride.

Btw, man-flu makes malaria look like a minor ailment. Have you called 999?

The grollies that one produces on the bike when struck down with man-flu are incredible.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Ugh.

Right (deep breath)...I've had my morning rant on another thread this morning, so please don't make me go down the gays on trays PRICKS ON STICKS route people...not this morning.

GOOD snowboarders are as competent and mountain savvy as any skier. I accept that snowboarding attracts a certain type of beginner who might extend themselves beyond their ability levels more than beginner skiers do but once past this level we're all as good as each other..whether you are an uber cool mountain god on a single piece of angel carved beauty or a nob on two sticks....SORRY I meant a skier! ahem

Yaaaaay! I promise I'm a good snowboarder... I don't even squash moguls!

teeheehee pricks on sticks...

I wonder if there's a correlation between SS and snowboards...

Anyway, back to what I was saying earlier... a page earlier.

Beers on the 5th +1 And food is good, I was very hungry when I eventually got back to Essex :)
  • Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Ugh.

HA!

Another meerkat* outed.

*from when they sit together in a big clump then all kneel up together looking in the same direction
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Trained it in today as I am going to be an acupuncture volunteer tonight! A good friend is starting an acupuncture business with two chums in Finsbury Park, so if anyone here was thinking of exploring acupuncture I can put you in touch. Tonight, apparently, the idea is for all three of them to be using their shared space for treatments at the same time to make sure the logistics work. Which to me sounds like they don't actually need to stick needles in me, but they're going to anyway, apparently.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    coming up the south lift in greenwich today I saw 3 other roadies in the lift with me and low and behold a powerbyke like this

Electric.jpg

as we all came out of the lift together I said "Anyone for a Keirin race?" pointing at the battery powered monstrositiy I got blank looks and one smirk form a mtb'er...

Damn that would have been fun

Still, I burned them all off and left them in the distance
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Clever Pun wrote:
    coming up the south lift in greenwich today

Dear God, you mean the south lift was actually working??????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

When did that minor miracle start happening?? Roll out the bunting.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Coriander wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    coming up the south lift in greenwich today

Dear God, you mean the south lift was actually working??????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

When did that minor miracle start happening?? Roll out the bunting.

I actually meant the north one... which is equally as bad... anyway as a rule they are open more than 50% of the time, it's just you always remember the stairs..

seeing people with panniers really struggling makes me laugh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I don't even squash moguls!

page4_1.jpg

You wouldn't dare.

I turn my back for ten minutes and we have had - in plain open site ANOTHER knitting circle discussion about male depilation and suddenly we are in the "gnarly" world of winter sports.

The only winter sport I'm interested in is the 2 cm icy man hole cover back wheel sliding ring closure snapper. I had to get the fire brigade out twice last winter to unclamp my butt cheeks from my saddle after slipping slidding gripping incidents.....

Video on U-tube if you are interested - yes doesn't he have big hands!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Greg66 wrote:

HA!

Another meerkat* outed.

*from when they sit together in a big clump then all kneel up together looking in the same direction

Genius!

Meerkats.jpg

• cjcp
    Littigator wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    my snowboarding gloves

Ugh.

:twisted: :D

They are the mtb'ers of the slopes, skateboarding types who wipe their nose in an upwards direction and grunt "Whoa, dude! That's arrr-some". Skiers are the roadies, blessed with poise and oozing style.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T wrote:
    I don't even squash moguls!

page4_1.jpg

You wouldn't dare.

Hahahahaha! :lol::lol:

A google image search for mogul interestingly brings this up after a page of phones...

Case1220.jpg

What? What do you mean stop going off topic?
  • Littigator

A google image search for mogul interestingly brings this up after a page of phones...

Case1220.jpg

Ahem, I don't think that was quite the image you were after was it? :P

[/img]

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Littigator wrote:

Case1220.jpg

[/img]

No, as I did get to see the original image I can testify that lil banner is much nicer, how on earth that heap of pistons and metal had ANYTHING to do with moguls I guess we'll never know and just have to trust the almighty overlords at google......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator wrote:

Case1220.jpg

Err yes? God Litts you know nothing about snowboarding... :D

Maybe this is more appropriate:

mogul_front.jpg

Oh and yes, the first image was GIANT - this mogul is more compact... :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I think this one's quite good
    mogul.jpg

But on the subject of wintersports.....

mogul_mousebig.gif

You probably don't want to run those moguls over!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Aaaaaaanyway.

:D

Enough talk of moguls...

I did my old run from kensington to liv st yesterday evening and back again this morning, and had entirely forgotten about the treacherous surfaces I used to routinely encounter.

Does anyone else cyckle down chiswell street? It's just before/after/east of the Beech Street tunnel at Barbican... the surface of that road is so bad you spend more time watching it than you do the traffic...

In other news, there are a lot more scalp opportunities, including many a fashion fixie. Sadly I don't think they care that I dropped them. However I did do a roadie in tights up the hill after Bond street tube on Oxford street... Bwahahahahaaa you got scalped by a girl! :twisted:

However, I may have been drafting a bus at the time... :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Whilst tootling along this morning in the cold and rain I spotted a lone target half a mile or so away, to far for me to make out their FCN nevertheless scalps in these parts being as rare as they are I gave chase in no time at all I was whizzing past to my disappointment a hybrid dressed in civvies big old duffel coat and ruck sack, pah! :x

Such a tease, oh well the journey home might be more fruitful. :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    As for gloves mine fall apart before they have a chance to smell really bad which is more than can be said for my shoes, those damn things are getting to the point where they might well unstrap themselves and scuttle off into the corner, I blame the many many rain soaked commutes coupled with hours sat soaking wet on various train journeys - Honest :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the service in my bike gets completed before Monday as I have some training up town that doesn't start until 11! This means I can either leave a lot later then normal or just head up into town around 8:30 and go hunting t :-) After 3 weeks off the bike (well 3 weeks off that bike, I've been on the wife's hybrid for a week) I'm starting to get withdrawal!

The meeting is in the rather impressive looking HP offices on Wood Street off London Wall so I figure I might take a scenic route via Battersea, along Embankment and turn north at the top end of London Bridge!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    LiT - it's impossible to do anything but draft a bus on Oxford Street

ITB - stop "tootling" you nancy, we have clearly established that the Game does not need opponents it is more state of mind!

Man up and pedal properly

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    They are the mtb'ers of the slopes, skateboarding types who wipe their nose in an upwards direction and grunt "Whoa, dude! That's arrr-some". Skiers are the roadies, blessed with poise and oozing style.

Seconded. Bloody boarders, all they do is scrape all the decent snow off the slopes and lounge around in the middle of the piste. No grace to 'em at all.

Oh and the 5th sounds good for Beers!
  • Littigator
    scrape the snow (whinge whine) ruin the moguls (blah blah) sit on the piste (zzzzzzzzzzzzz)

All skiers are simply jealous that they cannot sit down when fully kitted up on the slopes...oh and they look like tw*ts and fall over a lot when they try and walk in ski boots :P :P

• Whenever I see a skier fall over in their boots on an icy road, I chuckle a little inside...

Then I go help them up, floaty light as a quaver in my malleable snowboard boots...

Yaaay 5th beers! Curry also? Seem to recall someone mentioned a place near Millbank?

And hurrah! I am excused for drafting the bus! Take that roadie-in-tights... :D