Silly commuting racing

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yeah, every time I click the link it automatically directs me to my homepage.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    try searching groups for The GAME
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    In a wheelie bin?

:lol:
    :oops:
    :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll join you for a swift pint of OJ & Lemonade. (I may stretch to a Kaliber Shandy.) I'll be in club kit of some description I suspect.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    guess the easiest place to meet woudl be by the nice looking bikes!

Yeah, don't worry, I'll park the gollum bike round the corner... somewhere out of sight...

I wanna see it and the X teeth on your ring... I think there was a film about that recently (not you specifically of course)

sorry
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    Attica wrote:
    try searching groups for The GAME

Joined.

Suddenly I feel empowered to scalp everything in front of me!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    At the traffic lights yesterday a fixie does a trackstand beside me and then accellerates at a rate my mountain bike can't live with. After 30 or so seconds he hase a lead of about 40 metres.

I stick it in my top gear, adopt my aero position and crank it. My cadence hits about 120 -140 and his looked a lot faster. However, I was gaining.

I took about 2 minutes of full on sprint, but just before the decelleration point for the next set of lights I get control of myself and woosh past his right hand side very nonchalantly. I give him a casual nod and quickly turn left at the next junction thus avoiding the retake.

In your face fakey! Fixies are officially my favourite target on the MTB.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've been pushing myself so hard since i joined the game that I actually couldn't phyiscally cycle this morning and how sick do i feel after weeks of cycling through terrible wind and rain then today the sun is out and the sky bright blue. I'm sitting on the train right now on my way to collect my car! from the station. where is the justice....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • In a wheelie bin?

:lol:
    :oops:
    :shock:

Well if I can find a skip... but failing that maybe I'll just bring a blanket so it doesn't see what a nice bike looks like...

Furthermore, I can confirm that following a tooth count, I am indeed on a 48 chainring and a 14 sprocket, giving me a gear thing of 91-92, depending on source...
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm WEAK!!!

Took 4 people by Clapham Common heading towards Tooting Bec all roadies I think - seriously the number of cyclist on that road is increasing daily. I got overtaken by a Cervelo but I felt no shame the guy had to stand up to do it. Then I let the most beautiful lady through and got stuck behind her, honest. I didn't have the heart to overtake. She was nice, on a roadie, full lycra, arm warmers - she looked like one of them super heroines from an X-men comic or something.... definitely +3 for the lycra and +10 for the cute I'm not conscious of how ridiculously "Bianchi-hot" I am smile she gave me when I looked at her....

After she turned off and I shouted "bye" to which she looked the wrong way and not at me :cry: I took four more people in a 'blistering succession of explosive acceleration' (say that 5 time fast) just before I turned left at Tooting Bec station and headed towards Streatham. - Hurt my heart doing that though....
    Food Chain number = 4

• itboffin
    Yet again a completely scalp free ride to the station this morning however both me and the bike will be arriving at Waterloo in less than 30mins, I hope your not running late for work this morning, game on!

I'm on my "hybrid" all in black apart from a blue campag jacket and no bag today either, be afraid.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    In the two weeks that I've been a deraillier decliner I have learned this.....

It's much a much more contested space in the high teens / low twenties (MPH) space than the mid/high twenties.

On the road bike you can "stiffen up" (Gnurk gnurk snuffle gnurk) put on a mild display of wattage and you are safe from all but the most banzai players....

On the singlie you have to be spinning up at a far old lick to keep your place in the order and pushing out some high revs to get scalps in the bag.

What is more - and this is the killer bit - you have to nail it away from the lights as if the oppo get the drop on you and put in too much air between you you struggle to close the gap as your top speed isn't that high.....

Dare I say it.....

I'm thinking of dropping a tooth on my cog, which whilst not being as "funny" as enlarging my ring would be cheaper......

Did two roadies this morning who'll be wondering where it all went wrong.

Chateau!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Well if I can find a skip... but failing that maybe I'll just bring a blanket so it doesn't see what a nice bike looks like...

Br proud of your bike, don't hide it away like some dirty family secret....just bring some of these for it so it can't see the other shiny bikes...

5731.jpg
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator
    Speaking of shiny bikes, just 4 days into my new one and I'm still buffing it daily (cough)

I'm a bit concerned I might be turning into the cycling equivalent of one of those car detailers...people that spend days buffing nuts (splutter) and polishing their nobs (gear nobs!!!, can we have less sniggering at the back please Cartwright!)

:x

• itboffin
    Sooooo many scalps i'm thinking of having a new rug made, that was great fun. Hats off to Mr Red old school roadie you put up a good fight, damn those lights on Regent Street.

Great to see so many cyclist out there today but people STOP with the RLJ it's not big, clever or cool. :evil:

• Greg T wrote:
    In the two weeks that I've been a deraillier decliner I have learned this.....

It's much a much more contested space in the high teens / low twenties (MPH) space than the mid/high twenties.

On the singlie you have to be spinning up at a far old lick to keep your place in the order and pushing out some high revs to get scalps in the bag.

What is more - and this is the killer bit - you have to nail it away from the lights as if the oppo get the drop on you and put in too much air between you you struggle to close the gap as your top speed isn't that high.....

Dare I say it.....

I'm thinking of dropping a tooth on my cog, which whilst not being as "funny" as enlarging my ring would be cheaper......

Do it! I personally prefer pushing harder at a somewhat lower cadence. You can be sure to always have some push left for manic acceleration...

I have to say that on the fixed I really have to give up on scalping people from a standing start, but once I get going and hit about 23-25mph, which is my top cruising speed at which I can maintain the vague illusion that I'm not actually busting a gut, I seem to do pretty well with the scalps on my route...

However, this morning dehydration and yesterday's gym session were giving me the legs of lead, so my speed along the flat was about 20, and an older dude in blue on a hybrid hung on my wheel for about 2 miles! Aaagh! Stop drafting me!

It took an almost herculean effort on my part (or so it seemed) to lose him, then I got onto HSK and was overtaken by a chap with no luggage on a SS! Higher up in the food chain, but still... Aaaaagh! So am currently rehydrating. Have a personal training session at lunch time, I'm going to be dead for my country jaunts this weekend!

And you can all have a free scalp this evening!

:)
  • itboffin
    After a quick re-calc of my FCN this morning now 6 gulp! it looks like I might have to downgrade my new rug to a mat.
  • attica
    Adjudication please:-

This morning with my new silky smooth (and still slightly raw) legs, I trundled in, without seeing a soul, then about half way along the Hotwells Road, I spotted a roadie up ahead, he had about 150 yards on me. With less than half a mile before the next junction, I span up to leg blur factor 8 and reeled him in as quick as I could, he was wearing Fred Baker (an LBS) team strip - top and bottom, which (I think) means he's actually in a team (not a club, a team), shaven legs, a deity on two wheels.

I drew level with him as we both began to freewheel for the roundabout, no drafting involved as I chose a different lane to him, I was barely breaking sweat, breathing calm, ready to take him on the green light, I think he sensed this because, talk about gamesmanship, he jumped the lights and headed off in the opposite direction to the one I was heading.

Morally my internal adjudicator says I reeled him in, I owned him and he bottled it, scalp is mine. Just wondering what the Game referees think?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    He bottled it.
    Scalp.
  • Littigator
    Meh!

It's gutless behaviour like that that lost us the war...oh hang on a sec.

Anyway, he bottled it big time, he might as well have peeled off his foplike follicles and handed them to you on a shiny silver platter

ithankyou

• il_principe
    Littigator wrote:
    foplike follicles

Allittigator! :lol:

*grabs coat...
  • cjcp
    Attica wrote:
    Adjudication please:-

This morning with my new silky smooth (and still slightly raw) legs, I trundled in, without seeing a soul, then about half way along the Hotwells Road, I spotted a roadie up ahead, he had about 150 yards on me. With less than half a mile before the next junction, I span up to leg blur factor 8 and reeled him in as quick as I could, he was wearing Fred Baker (an LBS) team strip - top and bottom, which (I think) means he's actually in a team (not a club, a team), shaven legs, a deity on two wheels.

I drew level with him as we both began to freewheel for the roundabout, no drafting involved as I chose a different lane to him, I was barely breaking sweat, breathing calm, ready to take him on the green light, I think he sensed this because, talk about gamesmanship, he jumped the lights and headed off in the opposite direction to the one I was heading.

Morally my internal adjudicator says I reeled him in, I owned him and he bottled it, scalp is mine. Just wondering what the Game referees think?

Yep, I think he rides for a team, because they don't sell their tops on their website. Road with one for most of the Highclere sportif this year - good climber.

Anyway, I digress: in his defence, if he rides for a team, he could have been out training and, if he's anything like me, likes to train on his own. It might also have been a designated steady ride, in which case he wouldn't have been up for a race.

OTOH, the pulling away from the lights goes against him and suggest he was spooked (not by badgers peering out of bushes :wink: , but by your presence).

Verdict: scalp through intimidation.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    Oh sweet sweet victory.

Thankyou adjudicators, a celebratory flagon of mead and a toast to the gods of Valhalla (and Hoy, Kenny and Staff!) are in order.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cjcp
    The drafting fairies were back in action again last night and this morning.

Last night, a strong rider on a hybrid, who was dropped, but was then able to catch up due to the traffic lights. He hit the front on the stretch towards Albert Bridge and slowed. “Yes, mate; that’ll be the wind I’ve been sheltering you from.”

And this morning, passed and then towed a shaved roadie for a short while before going our separate ways. Then the excitement picked up again on Embankment when a tenacious roadie wearing trainers was doing all sorts to keep up or stay ahead of myself and a guy on a De Rosa (a lovely bike; the connoisseur’s choice) after being dropped i.e. filtering quickly on the outside lane of traffic up to the lights, stopping 10 yards in front of the stop line at lights and even drafting an articulated lorry (that was a bit risky IMO), albeit when the lights ahead were red. He was visibly putting every ounce of energy into keeping up. However, the chap on the De Rosa looked by far the strongest. He had trainers on too. Had he had proper shoes, and put the hammer down, it would have been one of those jump-to-light-speed scenes in Star Wars where Imperial bad guys are, quite literally, left seeing stars.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    The drafting fairies were back in action again last night and this morning.

Last night, a strong rider on a hybrid, who was dropped, but was then able to catch up due to the traffic lights. He hit the front on the stretch towards Albert Bridge and slowed. “Yes, mate; that’ll be the wind I’ve been sheltering you from.”

I love this..

It happened to me last night.

A dude on a tourer had apparently been drafting me running into Cheksea Bridge. I stop at the lights and when they change off I go down the wee slope running past Chelsea Hospital....

This isn't the spot to hang around as everyone uses the slope to get some speed up before the long flat time trial...

It's a bit blowy so I'm coping but not straining.

Along side comes the touring dude - it's obvious that the wind's caught him out and the getting by me phase is turning into a bit a mare. He's committed however so gets by - pops in front and - God bess a tryer - ten revs later has blown up and starts to go backwards.

I did the only decent thing pulled right out so he couldn't pick my bum bubble up and dropped him like a leprotic frog.

Gateaux!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Monsieur GT

Vous indeed handed him les arse dans le plat

As we say in Spain

• Picking up the Star Wars reference...I think my bike and I are akin to the Millenium Falcon.

I am incredibly slow and sluggish from stationary (I feels like I am actually pulling the tarmac onto my wheels) due to my loaded panniers. I am usually the slowest away from the lights. However once I spooled up the Hyperdrive, I usually take all and sundry* that have slid past on the pull away from the lights.

*Apart from those at the very top of the tree - I max out at 26mph on the flat.

There is also a further similarity to Falcon. I think the GAME is taking its toll on my trusty steed as twice I had to stop on the Embankment last night. Once to sort out my handlebars that came loose and once because of my chain.

ARG! So frustrating, though it did give me for the first time, a view of the oncoming Embankment peloton. Quite a sight!

Oh and I believe I had a sighting of fellow gamer Mr Burnham as he slid past on his Prince at the Lupus Street junction. Was it you Jash?

Unfortunately, I won't be dropping in this evening as I got a load of friends coming round for dinner. I keep an eye out any thirsty people at around 5.45pm!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • il_principe
    SiHughes wrote:

Oh and I believe I had a sighting of fellow gamer Mr Burnham as he slid past on his Prince at the Lupus Street junction. Was it you Jash?!

Depends when, I'm only ever out on the Prince quite early in the morning, heading from Lupus st to Richmond Park and back. Was out this am though. I very very rarely commute on the Prince. Apparently I have a doppelganger who hangs round in Chelsea though. I'm the one with the white brake hoods, no ways does he have those as well (*hopes)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Might be a little delayed beyond the planned 6pm start of the drinks this evening as I'm having an induction at the staff gym today!
    Should hopefully arrive around 6:30ish
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Littigator
    BJK get your priorities right me ol' china. Gym...on a Friday night...when there's people drinking beer in the sunshine?....Ker-rist almighty!