Silly commuting racing

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    harsh is by definition fair...

although if you went completely white, you could paint your face and skin and wear white linen and people would think that you were the ghost of a squished messenger.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

I'd also recommend having a look at some of the roads leading from Beckenham to Bromley North and for a real challenge I'm gonna head over towards Chislehurt Caves, the road that was on appears to be some sort of valley, steep in then steeper out :-)

the A232 towards Pratts Bottom hehehehe has got a short sharp little number I suspect you've ridden

have you tried commuting on the A21 it's loads quicker and loads less traffic lights than the 23... I'm guessing you're in the city though? I'm now commuting further but with 2-3mph higher averages
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Littigator wrote:
    Ooh you naughty naughty white wheelset....ahem, (cough) sorry, forgot where I was for a minute!

*Cough* http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/product/3248/HALO_AERORAGE_SINGLESPEED_WHEELS
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Where do wimmin with shaved legs sit in the FCN? Do they automatically drop 2, like blokes? And what if they’ve got hairy legs?

What about two-sided pedals (flat & spd), or cycling (touring) shoes on flatties?
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • ride_whenever
    I think there has to be a balance between accurate grading and ease of use on the road, not eveyone handlebar mounts a PDA and uses the web calculator on the fly...
  • Littigator wrote:
    Ooh you naughty naughty white wheelset....ahem, (cough) sorry, forgot where I was for a minute!

In that case, you might want something a little more robust. You seem like the sort whose rim takes quite a battering...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • I think there has to be a balance between accurate grading and ease of use on the road, not eveyone handlebar mounts a PDA and uses the web calculator on the fly...

Doing so gets you -1 on you FCN, recalibrate accordingly...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • ride_whenever
    what if you do it nonchalently whilst cycling past no handed?

It certainly wouldn't look like you were trying...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    izthewiz wrote:
    Where do wimmin with shaved legs sit in the FCN? Do they automatically drop 2, like blokes? And what if they’ve got hairy legs?

What about two-sided pedals (flat & spd), or cycling (touring) shoes on flatties?

Any woman wearing lycra on a roadie (with shaved legs) should get a 3 point bonus as, to me, they double in their attractivness!

Any woman with visibly hairy legs on a bke, should incur a 3 point penalty. We're trying to encourage more people to cycle not frighten them away... Lol.

If you have time to notice two sided pedals or the intricate difference between pedals, beyond that they either clip or don't clip, then I think you're not playing the game hard enough.

"Whether a person can clip or not, matters little, they are all be prey to me on my roadie!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ride_whenever
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you have time to notice two sided pedals or the intricate difference between pedals, beyond that they either clip or don't clip, then I think you're not playing the game hard enough.

Surely you mean not not playing the game enough...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Surely you mean not not playing the game enough...

Yes because none of us actually play the game.... :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Having kept a close log of all the points that all participants in Silly Commuter Racing have claimed on this thread - the top three are as follows.

1st Place - Woodford2Barbican - 2025 points
    2nd Place - GregT - 1850 points
    3rd place - Clever Pun - 1805 points.

As you can see I am obviously the fastest and you all have to speed up a bit.
  • virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    ..I'm still undefeated in over a year of daily commuting along the Bristol/Bath cycle path, if anyone wants to challenge my supremacy I'll be glad to oblige!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    izthewiz wrote:
    ]

Any woman wearing lycra on a roadie (with shaved legs) should get a 3 point bonus as, to me, they double in their attractivness!"

:lol::lol::lol: You SOOOOO haven't seen me in lycra.

BTW - when you scalp someone do you get just one point, or do you get the number of points equivalent to the FCN?

And to move up the food chain do you have to change your bike/clothes/get rid of your panniers or do you move up simply by scalping sufficient people above you in the food chain?
  • I got a pb into work today. I only saw, and churned white the lilly arz...(royalties to Victor Ludorum) of one cyclist.
    Partly due to him deciding it was best to use the dual carriageway up a hill in a 40 limit and ignoring the cyclepath/pavement which everyone else tends to use..a clever thing when you must be doing under 10mph with mucho traffico going past in both lanes, he was unworthy opposition.

I think he was a tourer with pannier rack and a bout 4 bottle cages. I was super cool, held my breath for the 2 seconds it took to fly by once he was aware of the singlespeeding monster. My bike was even (not) playing along today, being super silent and not creaking under strain up the hill. Super. No points though. But who's playing/counting.Certainly not me!

My legs felt heavy this morning and there was one of those invisible stiff breezes. The ones that make pedalling tough, yet don't move the leaves hardly..wierd that. I must seem like a pussy to all motorists. They don't feel the element unless its 50mph gust. grr. OPen yer windows mate, ye I'm cycling INTO that! pfft.

Maybe it was to do with not cycling much since last week, but somehow I set that PB.
    In the time I've had the Dawes it's been ridden in many forms; offroad geared, flats, 38mm tyres, no aerobar to a singlie, aero clipless marathinplus commuter now. Back then, in the dark days, it was a good day to get into work in 16 mins. Today was 13.40. I reckon it's The Game that's done it though.
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'd also recommend having a look at some of the roads leading from Beckenham to Bromley North and for a real challenge I'm gonna head over towards Chislehurt Caves, the road that was on appears to be some sort of valley, steep in then steeper out :-)

the A232 towards Pratts Bottom hehehehe has got a short sharp little number I suspect you've ridden

have you tried commuting on the A21 it's loads quicker and loads less traffic lights than the 23... I'm guessing you're in the city though? I'm now commuting further but with 2-3mph higher averages

I haven't tried that route to Pratt's Bottom you mentioned or the A21, from where I live (near Palace footie stadium) the 23 is easier to get onto, I do however sometimes go up via Dulwich and Camberwell to get to E&C tho - depends on where I'm working!

I'll have to try it out one day when I get some riding time free tho so thanks for the recommendation :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Having kept a close log of all the points that all participants in Silly Commuter Racing have claimed on this thread - the top three are as follows.

W2B is a gamer of power and resolve and that is for certain.

However, I have it on good authority that he interferes with goats.

I was never in doubt that I owned CP, it's his little netball skirt that slows him down.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Littigator wrote:

In that case, you might want something a little more robust. You seem like the sort whose rim takes quite a battering...

I aspire to getting my ring widened a la Greg T though, this would really increase the carnage.

Greg how big has your ring got these days, could my delicate rim take it or would I need to expand my ring as well?

Questions questions!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Lemme get this right GT, you admit to owning another man's skirt?
    Is this some sort of new Game Code like making circles with your finger or the not-so-subtle laughing at other cyclists as you pass?

also. 100 pages of quaility right here.
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Greg T
    Littigator wrote:
    Greg how big has your ring got these days, could my delicate rim take it or would I need to expand my ring as well?

If you are not getting enough joy from your current ring then I'd say you should be a man about it, take a deep breath and push back on a bigger gear.

There's no point wondering what it's like to have a bigger ring, you've just got to give it a go. If it brings tears to your eyes as you are straining under the load then you've either gone too big too soon or are just not ready for the hardcore scene.

As for rims well all I can say is that a pristine white rim would not be entertained in my manor - no siree. My rim's battered and not quite true anymore, with all the punishment it gets I'm not surprised.

What is all this mad talk about me owning another man's skirt. All the ladies clothing I posses is my own and what a gentleman does in his own garage/dungeon is his own concern.

Sandra.

• DonDaddyD
    Coriander wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    izthewiz wrote:

Any woman wearing lycra on a roadie (with shaved legs) should get a 3 point bonus as, to me, they double in their attractivness!"

:lol::lol::lol: You SOOOOO haven't seen me in lycra.

BTW - when you scalp someone do you get just one point, or do you get the number of points equivalent to the FCN?

And to move up the food chain do you have to change your bike/clothes/get rid of your panniers or do you move up simply by scalping sufficient people above you in the food chain?

Erm... erm... erm.... erm...

Aw hot damn! Girls with a slight unease about wearing lycra thereby hinting at actually wearing it more for necessity and practicality than vanity... Aw hot damn!

It alludes that you are infact hot but don't know it. + 10 FCN 0r something.

I probably will never get to see for myself so just answer this. Do you find that other cyclists tend to stay behind you as oppose to overtaking?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Greg T wrote:

If you are not getting enough joy from your current ring then I'd say you should be a man about it, take a deep breath and push back on a bigger gear.

There's no point wondering what it's like to have a bigger ring, you've just got to give it a go. If it brings tears to your eyes as you are straining under the load then you've either gone too big too soon or are just not ready for the hardcore scene.

As for rims well all I can say is that a pristine white rim would not be entertained in my manor - no siree. My rim's battered and not quite true anymore, with all the punishment it gets I'm not surprised.

You're right, I do find my small ring a little inadequate for the job. It just can't handle the real punishment I want to give it first thing in the morning. There's nothing like giving your big ring a damn good pumping every morning to blow away the cobwebs of the night before I always find.

My rim is still spotless but is very new to the job, no doubt once my big ring has been given the treatment it deserves my rim will resemble Greg Ts, letting everyone know without a shadow of a doubt just how much action it's seen.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    Having kept a close log of all the points that all participants in Silly Commuter Racing have claimed on this thread - the top three are as follows.

W2B is a gamer of power and resolve and that is for certain.

However, I have it on good authority that he interferes with goats.

I was never in doubt that I owned CP, it's his little netball skirt that slows him down.....

See you on Friday...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Littigator wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

You're right, I do find my small ring a little inadequate for the job. It just can't handle the real punishment I want to give it first thing in the morning. There's nothing like giving your big ring a damn good pumping every morning to blow away the cobwebs of the night before I always find.

My rim is still spotless but is very new to the job, no doubt once my big ring has been given the treatment it deserves my rim will resemble Greg Ts, letting everyone know without a shadow of a doubt just how much action it's seen.

GregT is happy to tell all unsundry about the size of his ring, plenty of evidence of that. Im pretty sure if your in London, were to meet him and he trusted you, he'd let you ride it. He can talk all he wants about the puishment it gets, but untill youve ridden it yourself, you'll never truly know how good it is.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I sincerely hope that that was the last of the rain to fall today. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    cjcp wrote:

Seems unlikely

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html
    <a>road</a>
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:

that was proper rancid... nice to see it decimating Canary Wharf now, the wind is whipping it along in the way it'll be crippling us all on the way home.. unless you're an east end boy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

that was proper rancid... nice to see it decimating Canary Wharf now, the wind is whipping it along in the way it'll be crippling us all on the way home.. unless you're an east end boy

Nope - I live amongst the Cappuccino Liberals in the SW London, so driving wind and rain for me all the way home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    Cappuccino Liberals in the SW London

RAM IT.

Cappuccino is a frothy miky drink you give to burds and children.

The only thing that's liberal about me is my chamois creme application technique,oooohhhhh cold and smooth.

SW London is a hotbed of espresso drinking (did I say espresso drinking) sorry I meant beer drinking hardcore Trotskyite Thatherism.

Looking out the window it appears that building hasn't melted - it was touch and go for while.....

What's the Forecast for tomorrow pm? I don't fancy standing wet through in a pub....