Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm rather worried about this whole swine flu pandemic thing.....

So I phoned the NHS hotline....
    all I got was a lot of crackling
    Misguided Idealist
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

trombone.jpg

Nice! :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563

:lol::lol::lol:

Like it!

Good commute in today, despite the fact that when I woke up my legs were still sore. I decided to MTFU and ignore them and interestingly enough I was OK!

I also had an entertaining incident with a truck - pulled up next to it when traffic to my left started moving, one car was a petrified-looking learner, so I hunkered over right next to the truck - minimal risk, I know the sequence of these lights and he wasn't going.

However, it didn't stop the truck shifting forward about 3 inches, at which point my hood got caught under the trailer! After a couple of rather exciting seconds I pulled the bike out by the wheel.

Moral: trucks are bad, mmmmmmkay?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Moral: trucks are bad, mmmmmmkay?

Very exciting seconds I'd imagine.

I heard one coming along behind me on my country lane commute this morning just before the top of the drag. Cars can follow me down to the next bump and overtake in their own time, but any truck driver stupid enough to be using that road is doing so becuase his Sat-Nav is telling him to, it's not a road suitable for trucks, and I don't really trust them to know not to even think about overtaking as it's far too dangerous. I nipped into the driveway to the farm and let him past then followed him along.
    Cue muppet in the car who decides to overtake me on the bump despite the fact there is a great big truck 50 yards in front of her who's having to crawl over the blind crest he is too wide for and facing a steepish downhill in the wet on the other side. What on earth did she think she would gain by this? We both had to slow and wait for the truck by the bottom of the hill anyway....
    Just where did she think she was going to go if anything was coming the other way? She would have been ok without the truck, easily out-accelerating me and being able to pull in, but not with a great big truck in front of her.
    People just don't think when they drive. We need to force people to think when they drive again.
  • lost_in_thought
    @Eau Rouge - I have to say people overtaking me on the bike when they stand to gain absolutely nothing by doing so is a real irritation of mine.

I try to figure out why they've done it, and whether I could justify doing the same as a driver myself, and it annoys me when I can't work it out.

As you say, some people seem to get tunnel vision in a car and not really think about what they're doing. I try not to be one of those!

I did get an angry glare from a cyclist the other day, in my car in London, cyclist in front of me at a t-junction, me stopped well back waiting. I saw some friends of mine, beeped the horn to get their attention, they didn't look, but the cyclist turned around and gave me an evil glare, so I tried to indicate with hand signals that I wasn't beeping at her.

Thinking I'd got the message across, I beeped again, this time the friends looked and I waved, cyclists stands up bike, walks up to my window and asks what my f**king problem is!

I explained. She was rather sheepish.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Heh. It's very difficult to get out of the victim mentality. Sometimes the beeps aren't directed at us. I have given the glare* in that situation... and then apologised

* it may have been more than a glare
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    @ Eau Rouge - We've probably all experienced a car or truck nudging up by 2 - 3 feet at traffic lights and invading our space, or overtake near a junction and then hug the pavement so we can't get through - complete thoughtlessness. Maybe if they cycled they'd realise what we have to put up with and change their driving habits.

I drove in today "Boohoo", approaching a queue of traffic I thought for a millisecond - I'll pop down the outside. Then came to my senses that I was actually driving - not on my bike . :oops: - so unfortunately I'm not immune to the odd thoughless moments either.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:
    Heh. It's very difficult to get out of the victim mentality. Sometimes the beeps aren't directed at us. I have given the glare* in that situation... and then apologised

* it may have been more than a glare

Yeah, I try to presume the best in people, for example I don't think that 99% of drivers are actually out to get you on a bike, most of them just don't realise what a worry it is to be passed too close, for example.

However, it doesn't stop me muttering and swearing, or occasionally thumping the sides of buses whose drivers forget they have a left hand wing mirror...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

FB - don't worry, if you do contract it a special sealed vehicle will be sent to take you in safety to the nearest isolation hospital.

It's a hambulance
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • lost_in_thought
    Greg T wrote:

FB - don't worry, if you do contract it a special sealed vehicle will be sent to take you in safety to the nearest isolation hospital.

It's a hambulance

You've been working on these, haven't you? Jotting them down in a little notebook?

:lol::lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Morning all - off sick today (just a cold, honestly) so that's 4 days with no riding at all. Am beginning to fancy going out on the fixie again...
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    You've been working on these, haven't you? trottering them down in a little notebook?

Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • benno68
    Greg T wrote:

It's a hambulance

You've been working on these, haven't you? Jotting them down in a little notebook?

Yeah FB, don't worry about it too much, just make sure you keep cycling or you may get a bit porky.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    Morning all - off sick today (just a cold, honestly) so that's 4 days with no riding at all. Am beginning to fancy going out on the fixie again...

Oooooh let's do an RP lap next week! I am determined to get up Dark Hill this time...
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    biondino wrote:

Hmm, how many people called Juan or Emilio do you know? With your track record, you can't be too careful. :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Benno68 wrote:

I drove in today "Boohoo", approaching a queue of traffic I thought for a millisecond - I'll pop down the outside. Then came to my senses that I was actually driving - not on my bike . :oops: - so unfortunately I'm not immune to the odd thoughless moments either.

The one consolation is this: rush hour traffic in Cardiff is nothing like up here in the Big Smoke (although I prefer cycling up here because I'm used to it). :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

Oooooh let's do an RP lap next week! I am determined to get up Dark Hill this time...

I would get sick just not being on the bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:

I will be there tonight. I can crack the whip and shout "mush, mush" if it helps. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    biondino wrote:

You're on. You may need to push me up some of the hills...
  • I phoned up NHS direct and told them I had swine flu. They had a go at me for telling porkies.

I said 'No, honestly I have it'. They sent me to my doctor, who prescribed an oinkment.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Regarding Swine Flu, it's important though that we all sty calm. It's still just a snoutbreak, a minor hamergency the health services can contain for now. Nonetheless, U.S. authorities are patrolling their borders with helichopters to stop herds of Mexican citizens from bacon down fences and streakying across to the north. It’s true that swine flu’ is hard to cure and could grow to epigdemic or even hamdemic proportions - an aporkalyptic scenario that could bring about parmageddon - but, for now, society has not bacon down as people realise this isn’t swine-11 and are showing some gammon sense, not behaving rasherly or crackling up.

Thank you.

Anyway.

Belting down with rain in Belfast this morning, again, but surprisingly I encountered two other cyclists on my morning commute. One was a FCN match so we had a bit of a race. Not much competition though as he was only holding ~20mph on the downhill and swerving madly to avoid the gutter floods. After commuting on the road bike for a while, I find that I can do my MTB commutes (almost) entirely in the 44t now, so a quick gear change and spin up and I'm past in good style.

Later on I catch up with a lady shopper at some lights. The lights change and I wait for her to set off. She does so ... very slowly. I'm talking sub-10mph here, just about enough to keep upright. I've a car up my cassette trying to get past us both, so I move out and move on at 25mph. BAM.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • girv73
    I phoned up NHS direct and told them I had swine flu. They had a go at me for telling porkies.

...and hogging the line?
  • Fireblade96
    I'm going to Reading Beer Festival tonight.

I remember from last year they sold really nice pork scratchings.

Should I risk it ? If I drink enough beer will it keep me immune ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • girv73
    If I drink enough beer will it keep me immune ?

No, but you won't care.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

FFS!

This Swine Flu situation is ridiculous, its fear mongering beyond all belife. I guess terrorism was last years fear monger vogue!? It wouldn't surprise me if it was ploy by the Pharmaceutical companies to increase profit and survive the recession.

As of yesterday roughly only 7 people have died from swine flu and I think they were all in Mexico, no one else has died yet. The common flu has killed more people in a day than this has ever done. Most of the reported cases elsewhere in the world are, arguably, suspected cases of 'swine flu'.

Have they even said that by eating pork you'll get swine flu? Even if that is the case the pork would have to come from Mexico where the outbreak has originated.

FFS!

Incidentally by simply living in the World at any given time you are subject to many many more dangerous infections, viruses and germs than just swine flu.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • girv73
    DDD, we're kidding.

Some facts:
    - 160 dead in Mexico, 1 dead in US.
    - You can't get it from eating pork products.
    - The problem with swine flu is that it spreads like ordinary flu but is much more dangerous.
  • benno68

Just go for it, drink the swill and pig out a bit - enjoy!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    girv73 wrote:
    DDD, we're kidding.

Some facts:
    - The problem with swine flu is that it spreads like ordinary flu but is much more dangerous.

I'm getting tired of everyone trotting out pointless statistics...
    There's snout to worry about...

:oops:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    girv73 wrote:
    DDD, we're kidding.

Some facts:

I'm getting tired of everyone trotting out pointless statistics...
    There's snout to worry about...

:oops:
    Getting a bit boared with it?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Fireblade96
    DDD, it was a joke!
    Pork holds no fear for me.

This, on the other hand.....

PIGS200.gif